Hi all,

We have a new beta version of Web Clipper for Firefox that should resolve:

1) FF Web Clipper not capturing images

2) FF Web Clipper losing all CSS styles

3) Slow tab switching when FF Web Clipper is installed

UPDATE - this version is now released.

21 replies to this idea

Hi

As an update, here is something that may be worth thinking about. I'm working with two MacBook Pros. On one, Evernote clipper works in Firefox and on the other it doesn't - using the same account. Here's the summary of the inconsistencies

Works - Firefox 19.0 MacOS10.6.8 MBP 15

Not working Firefox 18.0.1 MacOS10.6.8 MBP13

Works - Safari 5.1.7 MacOS10.6.8 MBP 13

Why would it work on one and not the other in Firefox? Is there some kind of bug in Firefox on my MBP13 that causes Evernote to malfunction? What else does Evernote clipper works with that might cause the problem?

thanks

Hi

This seems to be a continuing Firefox problem. I've been having it since September or so and adding the updates hasn't helped.

I added an Evernote button to Safari and it works. Sure would be great if the FF issue gets solved. Anybody else find this solution?

I encountered a problem with this version. I'm also using Firegestures with Firefox. I was using a script with Firegestures to enlarge an image size. This script no longer works for me. I found that this version of Evernote is the cause. Can you please make a fix for this. Code is like this:

const SCALE = 1.5;

var node = FireGestures.sourceNode;

if (!(node instanceof HTMLImageElement))

return;

if (!node.hasAttribute("width"))

node.setAttribute("width", node.naturalWidth);

if (!node.hasAttribute("height"))

node.setAttribute("height", node.naturalHeight);

if (!node.hasAttribute("originalWidth")) {

node.setAttribute("originalWidth", node.width);

node.setAttribute("originalHeight", node.height);

}

node.width = node.width * SCALE;

node.height = node.height * SCALE;

Installed the above on the Mac and it seems to work. I did not remove the older version of clipper, but it didn't seem to matter.

Well, works occaisionally, but not always. And the right click to save pictures,etc does not work at all. Will remove older version and see.

My clipper also started behaving like this with the update to FF18 I think... (Mac here, Vista at work). THumbnail is there but the rest isn't. I tried a drag and drop of the picture into the note and it is there as a Zip file for some reason...

Of course the first thing I try to do is webclip this page.

......and........... it didn't cure the "EN Not Installed Correctly" issue, even though I'm sure the clipping images bug was probably resolved here.

I suppose I could unsintall/reinstall EN client one more time....

here's my two cents worth ... just admit you have a damn problem

This is the second time I've had problems with EN and Firefox and EV acts like there is no problem, then a few weeks later the quietly fix the problem and pretend nothing happened. Just say, hey folks we have a glitch with XXXX and we're working on it. Expect the problem to be resolved in one week/two weeks/one month (doesn't matter) just let us know you're on it. BTW I'm a RSS subcriber to the EN blog and have never seen this kind of response. IT's all hurray for Evernote. You're about to lose a lot of good loyal dedicated customers and yes I'm PREMIUM.

I used to be able to change the article to pin to Evernote by using the arrow.

I udated to FF Web Clipper 5.4.1 (was using 5.4), but I still can't manage the article selection with arrows like I used too.

I also noticed that the images are not being included in the created note regardless of the capture mode selected...

FF 17.0.1, Win 7

Well sadly, only a week after I last posted saying thanks, great, it's fixed. It's broken again! No images from web clipper - Firefox OR Safari. Desktop Evernote again very slow to load, and syncing not automatic. I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8.

I'm starting to get really fed up with this now. The whole process, which once seemed so slick, convenient and fast is now laborious and over complicated - AND it doesn't do what it says on the tin. Are Evernote developers concentrating too much on fancy bells & whistles and losing sight of basic functionality? And are they being overtaken by things like Pinterest on basic clipping function? If this doesn't get fixed soon - and I mean fixed properly, not a flash in the pan beta version which has worked for only a week, I'll be permanently looking for another product that is easy and efficient - which Evernote isn't giving me these days.

Yep, the non-opening "double click to install" was a pain. I found out that you can just drag the downloaded .xpi file into an open Firefox window. It appears to work. Who'd a thought? The Beta web-clipper also appears to work again. I'm a happy bunny.

Oh even better! Had no idea that would work! Thanks so much. I'll keep this and try to remember it next time I have to apply a beta addon. And yes, mine works too. Whew!

For those Mac users who may want to try this, but can't figure out how to get the add-on into Firefox, here's how it works.

For the Mac version of the add-on it says "double click to install" which of course is not what happens. Double clicking asks to save it. But if you try to click on it once it's downloaded, there is no way to get it into Firefox. Yeah, took me a couple of minutes to realize what was happening and then to find how it's supposed to be done.

Once you've saved it, go to the add-on page and click the little settings wheel in the upper right corner of the extensions page. Click on "install add-on from file". Then all you have to do is point to the file where you downloaded it and it will install.

It had been a while since I've done something like this and I had to go search for how to do it. I would imagine others are in the same boat.

Yep, the non-opening "double click to install" was a pain. I found out that you can just drag the downloaded .xpi file into an open Firefox window. It appears to work. Who'd a thought? The Beta web-clipper also appears to work again. I'm a happy bunny.

For those Mac users who may want to try this, but can't figure out how to get the add-on into Firefox, here's how it works.

For the Mac version of the add-on it says "double click to install" which of course is not what happens. Double clicking asks to save it. But if you try to click on it once it's downloaded, there is no way to get it into Firefox. Yeah, took me a couple of minutes to realize what was happening and then to find how it's supposed to be done.

Once you've saved it, go to the add-on page and click the little settings wheel in the upper right corner of the extensions page. Click on "install add-on from file". Then all you have to do is point to the file where you downloaded it and it will install.

It had been a while since I've done something like this and I had to go search for how to do it. I would imagine others are in the same boat.

jbignert - thanks for this. I had a bit of a brain freeze trying to work out how to get the beta into add-ons, but finally got it DOH. I've tried it with the BBC news site (formatting a little odd with the occasional image missing), the Guardian newspaper site, my own website and some random sites. Apart from the BBC site, all perform well. Images are intact and speed is much improved. Well done for your work on this. Cross fingers this is a definitive fix. Thanks.

Archived