(Archived) Sync Now Takes Ages!

C6REW

Hi All,

Since adding in a lot of documents into my Business section and having over 10,000 notes, every time Evernote syncs it takes a very long time. Even though I have not done any changes.

Is this normal and will it now take even longer as I keep adding more documents?

Watching the 'Activity Log' it seems to go through every note. Surely this should not happen unless there has been a change?

Regards

Chris

First sync of today took about 2 hours.

Started running another two minutes after that finished and will report in a minute how long it took.

Just looking at how long it takes others to sync with 10,000+ notes.

Regards

Chris

while im waiting for mac application to be fixed ive been using web based version

it took 10+ minutes to change the name of a notebook stack and stalled everthing else

i switched browsers to firefox and its seems to be working ok

i dont think the syncing & updating should be slowing down a computer so much

• Level 5*

while im waiting for mac application to be fixed ive been using web based version

it took 10+ minutes to change the name of a notebook stack and stalled everthing else

i switched browsers to firefox and its seems to be working ok

i dont think the syncing & updating should be slowing down a computer so much

Hi. Initial sync times (the first time you sync your account to a device) and changes to the organizational structure (notebook name changes, moving notes in bulk, etc.) take some time, depending on what is in your account. First, there is the move itself, but then there is the syncing and processing. I also wish that it could be accomplished more quickly and without the beachballs, but I am afraid this has been a longstanding problem, especially when you start dealing with thousands and thousands of notes.

In my case, an initial sync of my old account (with attachments and about 10,000 notes) took a few days. Now, with my current account (attachments stripped out and about 10,000 notes) it only takes an hour or two. See this post for some suggestions on optimizing your account.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506

Hi GM,

Just finished a sync that took almost 2 1/2 hours. That was immediately after a sync had been done and nothing was changed.

This has to be wrong surely?

I have read your link and suggestions many thanks. Pity I did not read that before as I wanted to put many thousands of pdf's on Evernote, but what you are saying is don't! I certainly wouldn't convert them to text as it would take me far to long, plus they virtually all have photos and diagrams on.

But Word docs should not give me this sort of trouble should they?

I am trying to understand if this is the way Evernote expect the system to operate as it really goes against what I wanted the Business version for.

If I leave the office I will force a sync and in the past it is all over in a minute or so. That way I can access the information I was just working on whilst on the road and using my phone or iPad. With sync times as long as this, that would be pointless.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi GM,

Just finished a sync that took almost 2 1/2 hours. That was immediately after a sync had been done and nothing was changed.

This has to be wrong surely?

I have read your link and suggestions many thanks. Pity I did not read that before as I wanted to put many thousands of pdf's on Evernote, but what you are saying is don't! I certainly wouldn't convert them to text as it would take me far to long, plus they virtually all have photos and diagrams on.

But Word docs should not give me this sort of trouble should they?

I am trying to understand if this is the way Evernote expect the system to operate as it really goes against what I wanted the Business version for.

If I leave the office I will force a sync and in the past it is all over in a minute or so. That way I can access the information I was just working on whilst on the road and using my phone or iPad. With sync times as long as this, that would be pointless.

Best regards

Chris

I was only speaking about initial syncs. Regular syncs of only a few megabytes or so should be very fast. If you are talking about a regular sync, then this sounds odd, and it would be worth getting that business customer service person on the line. I don't have business, so I am afraid I don't know much about that.

• Level 5

It certainly does sound wrong.

At the least, I hope someone from the Evernote Customer Success Team steps up to the plate and gives you an Evernote "Attaboy" award for working on all these different business issues.

Morning all from a dark UK!

Things are looking up!

I had a couple of syncs last night taking between 1 - 3 minutes. Much more like I expect and want.

This morning the first sync took just over 6 minutes. OK if it does not happen every time during the day.

Just made a change by removing tags on 1788 notes as I forgot they don't work if you create them in Windows. Looks like this sync will take a lot longer. Will report back when it completes.

I think that there are a couple of lessons here for me and others.

As suggested by GrumpyMonkey, large changes like adding in all the notes I have done take an enormous amount of time to sync. I have a feeling that whilst it appeared that my Windows 7 Evernote was synched when it completed after a couple of hours, in reality it had not synched completely. Going over the log I think it was about 7 - 8 hours in total. This change I am making now appears as though it will take a long time. Should we expect that? Removing tags that are only shown on the note, but not in the side bar and not on any other device? The truth is I don't know. I would like to think that the change could happen quickly, but maybe I am asking too much!

I also believe that if any large changes are required then they need to be done out of hours. I would be in a fix if these changes had been made during work hours, leaving me unable to sync my diary notes which are crucial to the running of my business and have been for 6 years! I hasten to add before someone points it out that I have only been using Evernote since January 2012 and I was using Onenote previously.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Ideally, Evernote would find a way for the app to be much quicker about stuff like changing a tag name, moving notes, or syncing major changes. Stepping blithely into a notebook name change for a notebook with 9,000 notes could ruin your day, as that will take a very long time to get sorted out. There isn't much point in having an app with everything you need inside it, but inaccessible or unusable, so I sure hope we'll see improvements.The workaround at this point, as you suggested, is to save big changes for times when you can afford to be without the app.

Hi all,

The change to tags as mentioned above took just over the hour. I think it is important to take this on board as Grumpy says.

Getting nervous about a change I want to do now!

I have my Word docs by year back to 1998. I have already joined 98 - 00 and want to now clump together a few more years. Saves having lots of Notebooks! I put them in yearly ones as that is how they have been stored on the computer and didn't want to be in the situation of it going wrong and having to delete thousands instead of hundreds of notes. As it happens I probably deleted about 5,000 notes, with things going wrong.

Will go to the sales in town and make my mind up by the time I get back. Will probably start a new thread for it, if I go down that route.

Regards

Chris

Archived