(Archived) How can I search entire notebook stack? (EN5 Mac)

wietze58

Idea

I used to be able to search just the entire notebook stack (at least I can on my Windows PC at work). Now, after having just downloaded Evernote 5 for Mac, I can only search one notebook at a time.

How can I search an entire notebook stack?

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Confirmed. Although the Evernote search engine supports the syntax of "stack:<stackname>", the EN Mac 5 client does NOT.

Unbelievable!?!?

This is just one more example of the many features the Evernote removed from EN Mac 3.

[EDIT: Correct stack syntax]

[EDIT #2: stack filter works!]

OK, egg on my face. My apologies to Evernote.

I was using the wrong syntax in my earlier test.

When I tested EN Mac 5.0.2 using the proper syntax of stack:<StackName> it seems to work fine.

The correct syntax is stack:<stack name>.

Where do I use that syntax? How can I filter on stack?

Hello wietze58,

I hope I'm correct on this since I'm a Windows user, but if the Mac client works the same way you just enter that string in the search box. For example, suppose your Notebook stack is named Catalogs In the search box you would type:

stack:Catalogs

Make sure you include a colon after stack, that's how Evernote knows you are using a search operator. Also, if your notebook stack name is more than one word, make sure you surround it and not the stack keyword and colon in double quotes. For example, if your stack name is Many Catalogs you would type this in the search box:

stack:"Many Catalogs"

-- roschler

Hi all,

This doesn't work consistently across web, android and mac clients if you have multiple search terms.

After a bit of frustration with saved searches and notebook stacks, I think I have worked out how to do it across all clients for complex searches. The trick is to put the stack: part at the front of the search string (I had tacked it onto the end of existing searches and that only works on the mac client)

So, this is my to-do list search for home items:

stack:Personal todo:false tag:@* -tag:@wf -tag:@sd

This works nicely across all clients (whereas todo:false tag:@* -tag:@wf -tag:@sd stack:Personal doesn't work on the web, PC or android clients)

Hope this helps.

• Level 5*
This doesn't work consistently across web, android and mac clients if you have multiple search terms.

After a bit of frustration with saved searches and notebook stacks, I think I have worked out how to do it across all clients for complex searches. The trick is to put the stack: part at the front of the search string (I had tacked it onto the end of existing searches and that only works on the mac client)

Yeah, this is kinda sorta not well documented:

The search grammar is documented here: http://dev.evernote....rch_grammar.php, and the notebook: term (technically, a scope modifier) is documented as needing to go first. Unfortunately, the stack: term is not documented there, but it's a similar scope modifier, so it should go first.

Re the Mac client: the clients all use different implementations of the search grammar handlers (they're almost certainly written in different languages); often they do little things to make users' typed searches act more naturally/conveniently. For example, one thing that is currently done is to silently add a '*' wildcard character to the end of search text strings so that you get a wildcard by default (e.g., a search for "hel" is silently turned into a search for "hel*", so it would match "help", "hello", "hellion", etc.). The Mac behavior has the feel of that. As far as I know, though the search string submitted to the Evernote cloud must be formatted according to the formal grammar presented there, though it's plain that that grammar is a little out of date (the stack: term at least).

The correct syntax is stack:<stack name>.

Where do I use that syntax? How can I filter on stack?

Hello wietze58,

I hope I'm correct on this since I'm a Windows user, but if the Mac client works the same way you just enter that string in the search box. For example, suppose your Notebook stack is named Catalogs In the search box you would type:

stack:Catalogs

Make sure you include a colon after stack, that's how Evernote knows you are using a search operator. Also, if your notebook stack name is more than one word, make sure you surround it and not the stack keyword and colon in double quotes. For example, if your stack name is Many Catalogs you would type this in the search box:

stack:"Many Catalogs"

-- roschler

Thanks Roschler! That worked for me.

Archived