Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

2.0 Questions

food

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I was thrilled to discover the 2.0 Update to Evernote food just a few minutes ago. I used the previous version a lot, and even used the iPhone only version on my iPad. The new features were things that I really wanted to happen in Food, however I'm struggling with some of them.

I had been using Food 1.x to actually store all of my recipes along with meals that I loved. I would type the recipe into the notes section and take a pictures as I made the meal.

The new "My Cookbook" feature is fantastic, however, it won't recognize any of the recipes I already have in Food. It will only recognize new recipes that I clip in or type into the main Evernote app. Is this how it is supposed to work, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, when I create a new recipe, I can no longer find a way to photograph it as I go. The blog post introducing 2.0 says "Be sure to take photos and captions in the app as the dish comes together." but I can't figure out how to do that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much to the Evernote team for a huge update. Regardless of my difficulties, I really look forward to using it.

#2 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

You and me both. The update is fantastic in my opinion, and is going to increase my use threefold.

I had been using Food 1.x to actually store all of my recipes along with meals that I loved. I would type the recipe into the notes section and take a pictures as I made the meal.

The new "My Cookbook" feature is fantastic, however, it won't recognize any of the recipes I already have in Food. It will only recognize new recipes that I clip in or type into the main Evernote app. Is this how it is supposed to work, or am I doing something wrong?

Are all of these recipes showing up in your My Meals? I'm wondering if My Cookbook just isn't finding them because it's assuming they're straight up meals and not recipes. Will double check with Naomi on this...

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#3 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Are all of these recipes showing up in your My Meals? I'm wondering if My Cookbook just isn't finding them because it's assuming they're straight up meals and not recipes. Will double check with Naomi on this...

Yes, they are showing up in My Meals. It is just a shame that they won't be in the My Cookbook with new Recipes that I add.

#4 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm checking into this Craig, though there may be a bit of a delay thanks to the holidays. Quick question for you--is Explore Recipes coming up blank?

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#5 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm checking into this Craig, though there may be a bit of a delay thanks to the holidays. Quick question for you--is Explore Recipes coming up blank?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help.

It comes up looking like this on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

Posted Image

The pink box won't move out of the way at all.

#6 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

That's a bug. It's interesting that this is appearing, b/c it wasn't in the beta that was pushed to the App Store. We're looking into this.

Ideally, you should be seeing a list of recipes pulled from a ton of sources, which you can clip directly into your Cookbook, combined with all the recipes it's finding that you've saved to your account. Which of course, should also be able to come from your original Food notes that had recipes in them...

#7 SpeakNoSparky

SpeakNoSparky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPhone 5 and 3rd-Gen iPad. Tried restarting both devices, and tried to delete and reinstall the app. No Joy.

Also, I'm receiving an error message about the inability to contact FourSquare.

#8 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

That's a bug. It's interesting that this is appearing, b/c it wasn't in the beta that was pushed to the App Store. We're looking into this.

Ideally, you should be seeing a list of recipes pulled from a ton of sources, which you can clip directly into your Cookbook, combined with all the recipes it's finding that you've saved to your account. Which of course, should also be able to come from your original Food notes that had recipes in them...

Good to know. I can obviously live without the My Cookbook Feature since I just found out about it an hour ago. I'll keep using Evernote food for recipes and pulling them up in Evernote for iPad when I cook until a bug fix can be pushed through to Apple.

Also, is the lack of ability to take pictures of recipes in My Cookbook a bug, or user error?

Thanks!

#9 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I received that error too, but now it seems to be working.

#10 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I received that error too, but now it seems to be working.

Yeah, I ran into a Foursquare error on initial search. A re-search appears to jog it correctly.

The Explore Recipes is an issue with the servers that provide the feed (third party) so we're tracking that down and our devs are working with them on it.

#11 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Also, is the lack of ability to take pictures of recipes in My Cookbook a bug, or user error?

Thanks!

Probably neither. Looks like we don't have an add photo feature in My Cookbooks, so it just wasn't designed in. I'll up it with the devs and see what we can do. From my perspective, we should look at pulling in My Meals as recipes (which would allow you to add photos because the recipe would be recognized) or just allow you to add photos to recipes you're organizing.

#12 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Agreed. Thank you!

#13 craigmcclellan

craigmcclellan

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

From my perspective, we should look at pulling in My Meals as recipes (which would allow you to add photos because the recipe would be recognized) or just allow you to add photos to recipes you're organizing.

Now that I think about it, it seems like Evernote Food should keep recipes and meals separated. You could create both using the same template, but if the app senses that it's a recipe, move it to My Cookbook. If it's a meal, put it in my meals. You could even allow different notebooks in Evernote for each type of note.

Just a thought for down the road. Loving the update! I've already clipped a ton of suggested recipes!

#14 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

From my perspective, we should look at pulling in My Meals as recipes (which would allow you to add photos because the recipe would be recognized) or just allow you to add photos to recipes you're organizing.

Now that I think about it, it seems like Evernote Food should keep recipes and meals separated. You could create both using the same template, but if the app senses that it's a recipe, move it to My Cookbook. If it's a meal, put it in my meals. You could even allow different notebooks in Evernote for each type of note.

Just a thought for down the road. Loving the update! I've already clipped a ton of suggested recipes!

We'll definitely look into it.

Also, as a general update to this thread, we've got the explore recipes section working again. Go forth and explore!

#15 JWB2

JWB2

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Perhaps, EV Food should just change the "+ New Meal" button to "+ New Recipe" button?

#16 ReneeMattie

ReneeMattie

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Any hope of support for the iPad 2?
iPad 2 is stuck at iOS 5.1.1

#17 JWB2

JWB2

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

My iPad 2 auto upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 via WiFi. Got to settings, general, SoftwareUpdate.

#18 ReneeMattie

ReneeMattie

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Oops. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, and you'll never discover the reason for no upgrade is that is actually

iPad 1,1 running iOS 5.1.1

This iPad Works great for a number of apps and is completely unplagued by apple maps. I wonder if there is any chance of food 2.0 supporting it?

#19 gbarry

gbarry

• 2,807 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Oops. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, and you'll never discover the reason for no upgrade is that is actually

iPad 1,1 running iOS 5.1.1

This iPad Works great for a number of apps and is completely unplagued by apple maps. I wonder if there is any chance of food 2.0 supporting it?

Unfortunately Food 2.0 is going to be IOS 6 only--I'll update if that changes, but that's the word. :/

#20 hydebear

hydebear

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Just got a couple of questions!

On the standard Evernote iPhone and iPad apps you can easily access the other camera albums, inc PhotoStream. Can this function be added to the Food app?

Also, although I like the Explore Recipes section, they all seem to be US based. I wonder if you could add some other sources for UK and EU users (such as the BBC's Food section) or allow users to add their own sources?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote