(Archived) Evernote 5.0.4 for Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce that we just released Evernote for Mac 5.0.4 via direct download from our website: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

It addresses a lot of speed/stability concerns as well as AppleScript bugs and CJK search highlighting issues. Please understand that the past month's rapid releases do not represent us being flippant about releasing buggy software. Rather, they demonstrate our commitment to rapid, iterative improvement. For this release, stability was of the utmost importance and hopefully, this release reinforces that commitment to our most important stakeholders: you.

Thanks for all your feedback and enjoy!

Jack

You're better people than I am, because there's no way in the world I could do it. If I had support forums, they would consist of a single closed thread entitled "What the F*%K Do You Expect for Five Bucks, @$$holes?"

The fact that you do anything more makes you alright in my book.

Now, please, go fix the damn program before I UNINSTALL THE APP AND NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!

I kid, I kid.

Merry Christmas and all that pagan stuff.

LOL I'm not sure the million dollar investors in Evernote will be so understanding...

I agree with your summary of support interactions. It doesn't feel rewarding, in my view, because there is no history of your tickets. :rolleyes:

• Level 5

I'm not at all with you guys jumping on the "what do you expect for $5/month" bandwagon. Five bucks is basically at the high end of what I spend monthly on any particular piece of software on my machines. Be they online backup ($3.96 with Backblaze), hosted email ($4.16 with Google Apps), or yearly updates/upgrades to various shareware products that I use. How much SHOULD one pay to have properly functioning software, that is thoroughly QA tested, with feature adds/removes and UI/UX overhauls carefully rolled out?

I hear the cries of the software devs saying they wouldn't lift a finger for $5. I get that, neither would I. However EN isn't selling into a market of 1 person. They have over 45 million users according to this recent article. According to this article, around 25% of those users are PAYING customers. So the paper-napkin math tells me that this is a company that is sucking in $675,000,000 (yes that's $675 million bucks) a year and that is just from user subs alone, that doesn't take into account any other licensing, investments, partnerships and what-have-you.

What do I expect of a software company with well over half a BILLION in annual revenue? A lot actually, and you all should too. We're not talking about mom-and-pop developer with their handful of clients, rolling custom software -- this is a huge company folks. At the very least, you'd think they could throw a few mil towards proper QA and some more A/B testing with real users to determine when a feature should be kept or binned.

Too much to ask?

@Rex: I just LOVE your writing - let me know when you write your next book, as I will definitely be buying a copy. I haven't chuckled so much reading a software forum before..

@Luckman212: excellent point you raise. While each paying customer may be made to feel that as they only pay $5 a month they shouldn't expect too much, but we need to look at the equation from the other side, as you correctly point out. And I STILL don't "get" why a company would actually REMOVE features that were present in previous realeses, that worked, and that helped make Evernote the success it is today.

If they have a winning formula - which they had - why change ANYTHING at all? Except perhaps to ADD features that weren't there? And why change the UI at all?

Just doesn't make sense to me - not even for $5 a month.

• Level 5*

If they have a winning formula - which they had - why change ANYTHING at all? Except perhaps to ADD features that weren't there? And why change the UI at all?

Well, no one but the Evernote folks really know why they made the changes. In one of the "Meet the Designer" videos, they said they had to update it to support some of the major new features like Evernote Business and Sharing.

Don't know if this is true in this case, but I have seen companies make updates driven mostly by marketing considerations. While number of Evernote users seems to continue to grow at exponential rates, one way to make sure you continue to get the attention of reviewers, bloggers, and therefore VC people, is to keep making changes. Everytime you put out a new version there is a new opportunity for interviews, etc.

Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Auto manufacturers have been putting out new models with the only real change being the shape and color of the car for years. The problem, of course, is when you put out a fancy new model, but you have removed some features that your customers had come to depend on.

Here's an example: at some point Lexus decided to provide navigation systems with the data stored on a hard drive, rather than a DVD as they had previously. Which is really good, except they did not provide any way for the owner to update the navigation maps, except by paying the dealer to do the update, causing a waste of time and money.

One of the fundamental problems that has becomed enabled by wide-spread access to a high-speed Internet is that software updates can be made easily and frequently for very little production/delivery costs. While I very much like this for easy/quick fixes to bugs, it has promoted a much more frequent sofware update process, which, in turn, has allowed, or even encouraged, much less testing and QA prior to public release. To be honest I think these very frequent updates result in lower quality designs and many more bugs than with a longer development cycle. It simply becomes to costly to repeat the exhaustive design and code testing that is really needed. Often a design that looks cool in mockup and prototype turns out to not work that well in the real world with real users.

Good design is both difficult and iterative.

Well, no one but the Evernote folks really know why they made the changes. In one of the "Meet the Designer" videos, they said they had to update it to support some of the major new features like Evernote Business and Sharing.

If that were the reason for EN making the UI more "playful" and removing "power" features, then shouldn't it affect all platforms equally, not only, or predominantly, Mac and iOS which were already less powerful (fewer sort options etc) than Windows and Android? Also, I would have thought that updating EN to support Business would mean making EN more business like, not less.

• Level 5*

If that were the reason for EN making the UI more "playful" and removing "power" features, then shouldn't it affect all platforms equally, not only, or predominantly, Mac and iOS which were already less powerful (fewer sort options etc) than Windows and Android? Also, I would have thought that updating EN to support Business would mean making EN more business like, not less.

The clients are all updated independently, and even thoughh this time the OSX and iOS ones seem loosely coordinated, the Android and Windows clients probably will not follow the same pattern.

In additon, there are major changes to the API and so forth that affect clients differently in the background, like the raising of note size limits on some clients and not on others. As far as I know, this has not been officially announced.

However, as you correctly pointed out, if the idea is to have parity across clients (this has been mentioned by staff as a goal) and Mac / iOS just updated this way, then there is naturally a concern that rather than add features to the OSX and iOS clients to achieve the goal, features will be removed from all clients to do it. I certainly hope not, but technically speaking, fewer sort options (however lamentablle) would not make it less business-like.

Rather than argue at a general level of abstraction, I recommend providing specific use cases, and clearly explaining how the current UI is not meeting your needs. I doubt general arguments will be persuasive, but as with the navigation buttons lost in the original OSX update, everyone who had designed Evernote to work as a personal wiki could no longer navigate, and it even went against the intentions of the buttons, which were rolled out in the first place to aid with the use of note links. I think a compelling case was made for putting the buttons back into the app. I have not yet been able to make a convincing enough case for list view, more sorts, etc., but maybe you can with your use case!

As someone who used to be a business consultant and currently run my own company I would certainly agree that 5% is quite a poor percentage and if I was running the company it would be a very important part of my investigations to find out why.

Best regards

Chris

Phil Libin in this February 2012 interview said the conversion rate from free to premium is about 4% to 5%. For comparison Skype's figure is around 7%. 25% would be amazing for any freemium company that has millions of users. Here's a link to the interview:

http://doeswhat.com/...libin-evernote/

However I swear I remember him saying it was 8% in a LeWeb video. As he said, it fluctuates. The 25% figure mentioned above is for people that have been with Evernote for 4 years or more:

"The overall percentage fluctuates quite a bit and isn’t particularly important because what happens is users convert as they use the service, the longer you’re using Evernote the more likely you are to convert. The conversion rates go up with the age of the user, so if you just want to take the overall conversion rate, you’re dividing the overall premium users by the total number of users, that’s primarily influenced by the ratio of new users to older users of the system. In a month when we grow really fast we get a whole bunch of new users, the overall conversion rate will be lower because more people haven’t been around for a few months, if we slow down growing then the overall conversion rate goes up because a larger percentage of users are older returning users.

The overall rate we frankly don’t pay attention to, but it’s probably somewhere around 4 or 5 percent range. What we pay a lot of attention to is what percentage convert in the first month, in the first year, in the first two years. Our oldest users, the ones who have been using Evernote for about 4 years, I think we first launched the service 4 years next month actually. Of the first few months worth of users, people who have been with us for about 4 years, around 25% of them are paying us right now, that ratio declines as you get new users." - Phil Libin

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Phil Libin in this February 2012 interview said the conversion rate from free to premium is about 4% to 5%. For comparison Skype's figure is around 7%. 25% would be amazing for any freemium company that has millions of users. Here's a link to the interview:

http://doeswhat.com/...libin-evernote/

However I swear I remember him saying it was 8% in a LeWeb video. As he said, it fluctuates. The 25% figure mentioned above is for people that have been with Evernote for 4 years or more:

"The overall percentage fluctuates quite a bit and isn’t particularly important because what happens is users convert as they use the service, the longer you’re using Evernote the more likely you are to convert. The conversion rates go up with the age of the user, so if you just want to take the overall conversion rate, you’re dividing the overall premium users by the total number of users, that’s primarily influenced by the ratio of new users to older users of the system. In a month when we grow really fast we get a whole bunch of new users, the overall conversion rate will be lower because more people haven’t been around for a few months, if we slow down growing then the overall conversion rate goes up because a larger percentage of users are older returning users.

The overall rate we frankly don’t pay attention to, but it’s probably somewhere around 4 or 5 percent range. What we pay a lot of attention to is what percentage convert in the first month, in the first year, in the first two years. Our oldest users, the ones who have been using Evernote for about 4 years, I think we first launched the service 4 years next month actually. Of the first few months worth of users, people who have been with us for about 4 years, around 25% of them are paying us right now, that ratio declines as you get new users." - Phil Libin

-- roschler

I do not remember hearing that myself. Phil has mentioned 8% before, but in a different context. The video below is from the Freemium Summit 2010. Phil Libin: Freemium for Consumer Internet. It is the third video of four, and it shows him talking about conversion rates.

From 2:49 in the video he says:

- .5% go premium first month, 1% after six months, 2% after a year, and 4% after sixteen months. After two years, about 8%.

- Oldest cohorts have premium rates of over 20%.

----------

By the way, at Le Web on June 20, 2012, in London, Phil said the conversion rate was 4%, and about 2 million paid users out of 34 million [i cannot seem to post both videos in a single post. It keeps erasing links. Go to my site if you want a link http://www.princeton...multimedia.html ]

5% is a pretty good conversion rate for a freemium app. If they were at 25% the IPO would have happened and they'd all be living in Japan by now.

I agree that 25% is probably a pipe dream, but in my book 5% is far too low. I would be aiming for 12% and hoping to achieve 8 - 10%.

In the UK the average response to a mail shot is about 2% - actually probably less these days - I rarely achieve less than 5% and often 7 - 8 %. It is about how work at your marketing and not necessarily how much money you put in to it.

Anyway, just one guys opinion! Probably totally wrong with respect to these apps anyway!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5

As usual with these things:

1) You have to draw a timeline and conversion is going take time. Hence Phil's percentages.

2) You have to find ways to make Premium attractive enough without costing much - otherwise conversion CAN be a losing proposition.

Now, I'm sure we were once talking about something ELSE in this thread... :-)

• Level 5*

5% is a pretty good conversion rate for a freemium app. If they were at 25% the IPO would have happened and they'd all be living in Japan by now.

I agree that 25% is probably a pipe dream, but in my book 5% is far too low. I would be aiming for 12% and hoping to achieve 8 - 10%.

In the UK the average response to a mail shot is about 2% - actually probably less these days - I rarely achieve less than 5% and often 7 - 8 %. It is about how work at your marketing and not necessarily how much money you put in to it.

Anyway, just one guys opinion! Probably totally wrong with respect to these apps anyway!

Best regards

Chris

I don't think you can compare responses to a mailshot with people paying for a service.

However, as you correctly pointed out, if the idea is to have parity across clients (this has been mentioned by staff as a goal) and Mac / iOS just updated this way, then there is naturally a concern that rather than add features to the OSX and iOS clients to achieve the goal, features will be removed from all clients to do it. I certainly hope not, but technically speaking, fewer sort options (however lamentablle) would not make it less business-like.

The features I'm concerned about are snippet/list view and searches (and ideally also at some point the formatting issues that arise when syncing text notes from/to different platforms and clients). Sort options was just an example for Mac and iOS already having fewer features than Windows and Android before EN 5. But I agree that Windows and Android users who use these features or dislike the new Mac and iOS UI should probably start worrying and I seem to remember at least one thread to that effect already.

Best regards

Chris

I don't think you can compare responses to a mailshot with people paying for a service.

No comparison just an example!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

The features I'm concerned about are snippet/list view and searches (and ideally also at some point the formatting issues that arise when syncing text notes from/to different platforms and clients). Sort options was just an example for Mac and iOS already having fewer features than Windows and Android before EN 5. But I agree that Windows and Android users who use these features or dislike the new Mac and iOS UI should probably start worrying and I seem to remember at least one thread to that effect already.

I have to admit, the new searches in Mac that automatically search all joined notebooks, and the loss of the ability to edit saved searches meant that all of my old saved searches became useless, and it threw me for a loop at first. There were other things, but this is one I remember struggling with in the beginning.

There are workarounds for just about everything, though. I have almost entirely stopped using saved searches for various reasons, and just prefer to put them all into one note, which I can copy/paste from as needed (this also helps a lot if you use iOS). If you treat your account as a personal wiki, you can create "index" notes full of note links in order to replicate list view on Windows (this is now possible again with the return of the navigation buttons). You can also use Windows to generate the sort order you want, and then drag all the notes into your index note to keep that for use on the Mac. As for formatting, I work primarily in plain text, and I have found the Make Plain Text command in Mac to be a nice, new addition.

All of these workarounds have their drawbacks, and depending on your use case, could be severely limiting, but they work to some degree.

• Level 5*

Best regards

Chris

Best regards

Chris

mmm, 9 out of 10 people like chocolate, not a comparison, just an example. Doesn't really help :)

Best regards

Chris

Best regards

Chris

mmm, 9 out of 10 people like chocolate, not a comparison, just an example. Doesn't really help :)

Hi Metrodon,

I think that either I am not putting my point over properly or you might be missing it.

So I will try and explain. I will first say I am sorry to be sounding like I am blowing my own trumpet, but it may help you understand the point I am trying to make. :D

I am very good at what I do. I achieve better figures in my work than most companies in my field. Oh and that has been in many different fields over the years! Be that in sales figures, profit, mail shot responses etc.

The mail shot was an example of how well I achieve this and what I expect from a mail shot. In the same fashion I would, as explained, expect to achieve higher than 5% of customers to free users and I gave my figures earlier. Whilst not scientific, I am certain that 5% is too low and my suggestions are achievable. However, Phil has made it clear that he does not want to get that figure higher, based on the interview that Grumpy has linked for us. I don't agree with Phil's reasoning, but once again selling low cost software that has a free version is not what I do for a living. When I did sell software it was £25k+ for two floppy discs!

Hope that makes sense and not sure why I explained really, but hey ho, I needed a break, my mind is totally addled with doing quotations all day :) Who said Christmas was restful? I get back and have to catch up!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*
I have almost entirely stopped using saved searches for various reasons, . . .

This is HUGE! With any database app ( and I've used many, designed a few), having Saved Searches (we used to call them Saved Queries) is one of the key features to making the DB really useful, and providing quick, reliable access to datasets (reports) that the user often needs to generate.

Sometimes the Search can be complex, so being able to reliably Save an Run the Search is very important.

• Level 5*

This is HUGE! With any database app ( and I've used many, designed a few), having Saved Searches (we used to call them Saved Queries) is one of the key features to making the DB really useful, and providing quick, reliable access to datasets (reports) that the user often needs to generate.

Sometimes the Search can be complex, so being able to reliably Save an Run the Search is very important.

It was huge for me! That's why I stumbled a bit at first.

If you look through the beta threads I think you'll find me asking about saved searches almost from the first post. Because we had no note numbers at the time, I couldn't figure out why everything was not working correctly, and once the numbers came back, I realized that it was all of my joined notebooks throwing things out of whack. I tried to edit the searches, found out that you can't, and also discovered around that time that the iOS won't let you modify saved searches (adding or subtracting query elements), so I decided the Saved Searches no longer fit my use case. Eventually, I decided to start collecting my saved searches into a single "saved search" note. This workaround has been very useful for me, as my queries tend to be quite long, and I think only 15 characters or so will fit into the tiny search field on the iPad. It's not ideal, but it works fine for me.

Change is always disruptive, and I expect I'll have to adjust my usage to any new UI. Still, I think it is worthwhile for us to voice our concerns, provide details about our use case, and explain how the UI is not serving our purposes. In the end, though, the developers make the decisions, and they have to weigh a bunch of factors. Now that we have gone a few months with the new UI, I figure it is better to use my time developing workarounds and getting on with my work, because I don't think I was able to make a convincing case for changing the UI.

Maybe someone else can! The developers are reading and listening, so if you haven't voiced your concerns, I encourage people to do so.

@Grumpy have you considered using Windows EN scripts to execute your searches rather than cut and paste.

You can even embed the desktop shortcuts into a note - "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /q "notebook:Travel tag:Devon"

• Level 5*

@Grumpy have you considered using Windows EN scripts to execute your searches rather than cut and paste.

You can even embed the desktop shortcuts into a note - "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" shownotes /q "notebook:Travel tag:Devon"

No. But, I will now! To be honest, working in Windows tends to be a little clunky and buggy for me with Parallels. The Evernote client works well (for the most part, but some keyboard shortcuts are not working right for some reason), and that is where I spend all of my time. I haven't done anything else in Windows, but I need to at some point, because I also have to get rid of this infernal incremental sort.

Alright, maybe it's because I have to work on Saturday, or maybe because Evernote just hung four times in a row, but I'm getting pissed off now.

I'm trying to capture log output from a script, and the total is about 1K of raw text. When I try to paste that text from my clipboard into Evernote, the beachball of death spins and spins and spins and spins and spins and spins.

Eventually, I have to force quit. I don't have all day.

The first time Evernote crashed this morning, I copied the log data to my clipboard, and when I rebooted Evernote and tried to paste that data into a note, it spun and spun and spun.

Basically, the resource utilization problem worsens with the length of the note you are trying to paste.

Therefore, I had to fire up BBEdit, where I pasted the notes without issue.

Now, look, I know I know, bugs happen and yada yada yada. That said, for Christ's sake, I've been submitting logs for a month, and we haven't had a single intermediary release addressing these issues.

How hard could it be to make the damn thing run borderline acceptably on reasonably modern hardware?

Certainly not that difficult, since it was being done two months ago.

Perhaps it's just the way I'm using it today, but the problems have gone from nuisance to unusable. It's gotten so bad that I'm using BBEdit as my primary note-taking app.

That's not good. At all.

For the love of God, please, do something. Even if it's to throw in the towel, nuke version 5, and taking the Mac client back to the 4.x branch. You can't leave this thing hanging out like this for over a month.

It's getting silly now.

So this looks to be the problem:

2013-01-05 11:39:44 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: 'Blah' [(null)]

2013-01-05 11:39:44 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: 'Blah' [(null)]

2013-01-05 11:39:47 main [ENMLPasteboardUtils] DEBUG: Pasteboard types: (

"dyn.ah62d4rv4gk81gvpfku",

"CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x73456544",

"public.utf16-plain-text",

"CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x75747874",

"public.utf8-plain-text",

NSStringPboardType,

"public.utf16-external-plain-text",

"CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x75743136",

"com.apple.traditional-mac-plain-text",

"CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x54455854",

"dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8yeuwqmy",

"CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x42424C4D"

)

2013-01-05 11:39:47 main [ENMLPasteboardUtils] DEBUG: Using 'NSStringPboardType'

It looks like it tries to index a note, AS THE NOTE IS BEING TYPED, leading to the spinning beachball of death.

HOT DAMN! I'm a genius!

You're welcome.

Now, fix it and let's get on with life.

hello;

Since the latest update a few weeks ago - my evernote has been super super slow at creating a new note -- i am used to hitting ctrl-N and immediately being able to start typing the title. when i do this now i get a colour wheel and then when it catches up - it doesnt actually 'catch up' but starts from that point... so if i am typing 'green water' by the time evernote caught up i had just 'ter' in the title.

can we speed this up - it was perfectly speedy before the updates to 5.0.4.

thanks

ciara

can we bring back the option of column sorting? i routinely sort different notebooks differently -- but having a 2 step drop down is rather tedious. i used to just go to the notebook and hit the 'title' column... but thats gone now... also i would like to increase the view of the # of recent notes... 5 is not enough.

• Level 5*

can we bring back the option of column sorting? i routinely sort different notebooks differently -- but having a 2 step drop down is rather tedious. i used to just go to the notebook and hit the 'title' column... but thats gone now... also i would like to increase the view of the # of recent notes... 5 is not enough.

The buried menus that move everything out of view do not appeal to me. In comparison, it is a very easy thing on Windows to reverse or change a sort. The same is true of operations involving notebooks and tags. Some things, like switching between a search for all or any cannot even be done, while on Windows it is all conveniently located right above the center pane. I feel on Mac like I am casting about the screen and having to click around a lot more, while the Windows UI has things located close at hand for each task. No one doubts that the Mac interface looks quite polished, but actual use reveals stumbling blocks. At least, my workflow doesn't mesh well with it.

Building on the great work they have done with several aspects of the interface, I think going forward that the team could really improve the app with more information and functional density. At a glance we ought to be able to see all of the information about our accounts and notes, and with a single click access anything.

If you look through the beta threads I think you'll find me asking about saved searches almost from the first post. Because we had no note numbers at the time, I couldn't figure out why everything was not working correctly, and once the numbers came back, I realized that it was all of my joined notebooks throwing things out of whack. I tried to edit the searches, found out that you can't, and also discovered around that time that the iOS won't let you modify saved searches (adding or subtracting query elements), so I decided the Saved Searches no longer fit my use case. Eventually, I decided to start collecting my saved searches into a single "saved search" note. This workaround has been very useful for me, as my queries tend to be quite long, and I think only 15 characters or so will fit into the tiny search field on the iPad. It's not ideal, but it works fine for me.

Change is always disruptive, and I expect I'll have to adjust my usage to any new UI. Still, I think it is worthwhile for us to voice our concerns, provide details about our use case, and explain how the UI is not serving our purposes. In the end, though, the developers make the decisions, and they have to weigh a bunch of factors. Now that we have gone a few months with the new UI, I figure it is better to use my time developing workarounds and getting on with my work, because I don't think I was able to make a convincing case for changing the UI.

Maybe someone else can! The developers are reading and listening, so if you haven't voiced your concerns, I encourage people to do so.

It is still possible to save searches via menu: EDIT-->Find-->Save Search Right?

• Level 5*

It is still possible to save searches via menu: EDIT-->Find-->Save Search Right?

Yep!

Really, MY cut and paste never worked. I just went back to 3.0.6 in complete frustration. Please call me when everything works properly and spare me the confusing updates that remove a basic functionality like cut and paste. MOST of what I do is cut and paste from my other documents or web documents to my safekeeping memory places. Without it - useless.

Can't find a dedicated place to post these on the forum, so here are some suggestions for the Mac client (would be great to get a response as to feasibility):

1. Multiple text selection: support highlighting several separate snippets of text at once (using command-click, as used in other applications like Textedit and MS Word)

2. Option to sync on file-save (only if changes made, of course)

3. Better support pasting from Textedit .rtfd document- while the "simplify formatting of pasted content" option helps, it can't properly take bold/italics/underline, font size information, line indents, AND text wrapping from a textedit document and paste it with the same bold/italics/underline, font size information, line indents, AND text wrapping no matter how you do it. Converting the document to plain text in textedit and then copy-pasting it into Evernote is the best way I've found, but that involves lots of manual reformatting in Evernote afterward, so it would be nice to get a straight copy-paste from an .rtfd document working.

(Using the latest versions of Evernote on Mac on OSX 10.8.2 as of the date of this posting).

Archived