Skitch for Mac 2.0.3 Beta Announcement

Joe Lopez

Idea

Welcome to the beta test for Skitch for Mac version 2.0.3. This version of Skitch is geared toward adding back a number of features from Skitch 1.X as well as implementing a bunch of bug fixes to Skitch.

We are asking for your feedback for Skitch for Mac v. 2.0.3. Please download the 2.0.3 version from the link below and then test it out. If you have any problems testing out the FTP function please let us know, if possible, what software your FTP server runs so we can try and narrow down the problems.

New Features available in this version include:

• Create one custom color for annotation tools
  • Enhanced sharing options (There are several new Share URL options, including direct URLs)
  • FTP access <- Functions similar to 1.x. You’ll need to set the account information under preferences.
  • Auto copy of the URL to the clipboard
  • Increase in pen tool sizes
  • Count down timer for timed snapshots
  • New preferences - Including options to control the timed snaps and to use a URL shortener

We’ve also addressed quite a few bugs such as (but not limited to):

• Saving Skitch image title changes when switching back to the Skitch Notes in Evernote gallery
  • Saving text when added to an image using the Text Tool and immediately sharing the note
  • Delete key starting new text entry
  • Saving while still typing text causing the text to disappear
  • Title changes not sticking on sync
  • Various instances were sync might fail
  • And lots of of other bugs.

Please download 2.0.3 and give it a test run. Post any feedback about 2.0.3 in this thread. Thank you.

Download link: http://s.evernote.co...eta203

EDIT/UPDATE: Please note. You MUST quit the Skitch helper app if you are running any version of Skitch other than the 2.0.3 beta. If you run any older version of the helper app at the same time as the Skitch 2.0.3 beta it will cause some of the 2.0.3 UI to not show. We're trying to figure out the cause.

22 replies to this idea

Thank for replying. You suggested I leave both Skitch and Evernote running 30 minutes to see if they sync up. No, it's been 2 hours. I also tried the manual synch control for each application. Skitch says I have two notes in Evernote but Evernote says I only have one that came from my iPhone Skitch, not my desktop.

For this issue, you're best bet is to open up a help ticket via our customer service site found here: http://evernote.com/contact/support/

You say that Skitch 2.x will look for old picitures in "Photos/Skitch" I hope you mean "Photographs/Skitch" Yes, 2.0.3 seems to find that directory. What I see when I choose the menu option is another Finder window, not the graphical browser from 1.x. If that's what I'm supposed to see then fine, I can drop this topic.

Yes, the name of the folder varies for versions of OSX and users. In my version the folder is called "Pictures". Skitch is behaving as designed.

OK, in preferences I have Save Skitch Notes to Evernote : Never So where do they go?

They don't go anywhere. If you choose to not save them to Evernote, or drag/export them to your system, they are not saved.

Regarding the local storage option, I don't expect you to build me a custom app. But by the same token I don't want to lose capabilities I had. I don't share your vision of all my Skitch images in the cloud. It's fine to offer that as an option but let the user decide.

How do I petition to bring back the lost capability and let me store Skitch images on my harddrive when I hit the Save button? Dragging is another way to go but it requires more fiddling with Finder windows and user actions.

We do provide an option to users to store locally (drag & drop & export), store via other services (share email, Facebook, ftp, etc) or to store in Evernote's cloud services. Skitch currently is not designed to index a local system for storage. We have added your request to our feature backlog and review it against all other features and our direction for Skitch. Thanks for the feedback.

I can't get FTP posting to work, no matter what combination of information I try. I entered my server information, login, password, directory, and base URL. I've trippled checked them, but everytime I try to upload via FTP, Skitch says "Server denied you to change to the given directory."

I tried the exact same settings in a very similar application called "Imagewell" and voila! It worked perfectly.

I got depserate and deleted the directory information and the base URL from the FTP account in Skitch, and Skitch finally indicated to me that the image uploaded. But id doesn't seem to be anywhere on my server. It ended up on Skitch instead.

I'm fine with sharing stuff on Everone, as I'm a longtime premium subscriber, but I'd like to have the option of uploading to my server via Skitch.

For what it's worth, my host says their servers use either FreeBSD 8.2 or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating systems. All their servers are currently powered by Apache Webserver (Apache 2.2.23).

@SimplyDan - we fixed the broken one and we think we found the error that may be affecting others. We're going to be running a patch on our image server to fix any other broken ones out there soonishly.

Heather,

Thanks for the reply and offer to assist.

Here are two links I provided with Ticket number (#16051-208955)

Both were created with Skitch and worked fine until transition to Evernote.

Non-Working:

http://img.skitch.com/20090130-6hyck1efbg4ekxwmmf88h5ent.jpg

Working:

https://img.skitch.com/20110131-b8xa4agx824ydtrak91fyn6c4k.png

The non-working URL shows nothing when embedded in a web page. As a standalone URL, it says: This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access Denied</Message>

<RequestId>1437393DB842448B</RequestId>

<HostId>

laIn+uXM2sohWPdpw4TjvLp4CDWsKq5c21SCc2zjN+ax0VO490oSKIhkq30TxPIa

</HostId>

</Error>

Hey all we've discovered a potential solution for you to try and resolve some some issues you might be seeing.

This ONLY applies if you are:

a) Running multiple versions of Skitch at the same time (For example any combination of: Betas, Direct Download, Mac App Store, 1.x vs 2.x)

B) Running Skitch 1.x at the same time as 2.x

c) Running a direct download version and App Store versions

What to try:

• Quit Skitch
  • Go up to your menu bar -> Right click on the Skitch Helper (heart icon) -> Select Quit
  • Restart one (1) version of Skitch (and only one (1) version)

If you are running multiple versions of the same type of Skitch (ex: Beta A and Beta B of the same version number); or Running Direct Download at the same time as App store; it appears you could cause a conflict between the Helper and the App. This is especially problematic running the Direct Download and the App Store as the App Store version runs in a special sandbox security mode, which restricts the App Store version from quitting the Helper and starting a new one that will be behave properly with the App Store version of Skitch.

Running Skitch 1.X and 2.X can just cause lots of outright problems and should never be done. Be sure and quit the helpers each time for both versions before starting the other.

Running different versions of the helper for the same version can also cause some odd things to happen. So if you downloaded the 2.0.3 Beta and then the Direct Download and have not quit the helper since the last time you ran the beta, this could be causing issues with the Direct Download release.

We are working on a solution where the Direct Download version will always check the Helper and then quit and restart if necessary, but the difference in security modes between the Direct Download and the Mac App Store versions is a little tricker due to the sandboxing.

If quitting the helper and restarting Skitch does not clear up your issues (again assuming you're not trying to run multiple copies at the same time) then please file a help desk ticket with as much info as possible so we can try and figure out the root cause of the bug.

Are you ever going to correct the problem with skitch links created from 2008 to 2012 no longer working, or are the loyal skitch customers from the early days left out in the cold? I just received a reply from your tech support saying that the deep linking error was fixed by this release.

That solves the problem for newly created links, but what about the ones that your past customers have shared over the years. Will those links ever work again?

Hi Guys

The new release is a nightmare it keeps crashing. It will not shut down without a Force To Quit ! It works when you open but after 5-10 min just locks and does nothing. I can no longer use it how can I go back please ?

I have been noticing the same issues. Have had to force quit the app about 4-5 times today...

The skitch window is also really glitchy when dragging around. Flickering all over the place.

It also feels much slower when dragging a region to snap like the app is fighting for resources.

Also the timed capture doesn't grab the right area for me (I don't know if it's a dual monitor issue causing that problem).

Thank for replying. You suggested I leave both Skitch and Evernote running 30 minutes to see if they sync up. No, it's been 2 hours. I also tried the manual synch control for each application. Skitch says I have two notes in Evernote but Evernote says I only have one that came from my iPhone Skitch, not my desktop.

You say that Skitch 2.x will look for old picitures in "Photos/Skitch" I hope you mean "Photographs/Skitch" Yes, 2.0.3 seems to find that directory. What I see when I choose the menu option is another Finder window, not the graphical browser from 1.x. If that's what I'm supposed to see then fine, I can drop this topic.

Then you say:

>Skitch 2.X does not have a local save option within it.

OK, in preferences I have Save Skitch Notes to Evernote : Never So where do they go?

Regarding the local storage option, I don't expect you to build me a custom app. But by the same token I don't want to lose capabilities I had. I don't share your vision of all my Skitch images in the cloud. It's fine to offer that as an option but let the user decide.

How do I petition to bring back the lost capability and let me store Skitch images on my harddrive when I hit the Save button? Dragging is another way to go but it requires more fiddling with Finder windows and user actions.

@rbl100

I'll diagnose each issue separately.

Skitch Version 2.0.3 (262417)

This is the Mac beta thread and that's the Mac beta version, so we know you have the right stuff and are in the right place for Mac beta related questions.

It says Skitch Notes In Evernote (2). If I launch Evernote, I don't see those among my notes.

The "Evernote (2)" means you have 2 Skitch notes in your personel Notebooks. If you are not seeing the notes in both clients then your options are:

1) Make sure that both clients have synced. If you leave Skitch or Evernote running for ~30 mins they should sync.

2) In both Evernote or Skitch you can manually sync by clicking on the "chasing arrows". In Skitch you can find the icon in the upper right next to the Evernote icon. Skitch example below.

12%209:48%20AM.jpg

3) If you made a copy of the Note within Evernote, this currently breaks the Note and makes it unavailable to Skitch. We're working on fixing this. The simplest work around is to re-open the image in Skitch and save it to Evernote again.

I find a pull down menu top center that offers the choice Open Skitch 1.x document. When I choose that I get a finder window, not the 1.x collection of image to browse. If chose in Finder I do see my file.

Skitch 2.X looks for a folder in Photos called Skitch. If it sees this folder then Skitch 2.X will give you the new drop down menu option. You can then open Skitch 1.X images. If you are seeing a file in this directory then that is is a Skitch 1.X image. If you want to get that into Evernote, then you need to sign into Evernote, save the note to your Notebook and then sync.

Where is local storage for 2.x?

Skitch 2.X does not have a local save option within it. In order to save locally you need to drag and drop, or export, the file to a local folder. We currently only support saving to Evernote and having those files within the Library. Please note currently saving a file outside of Skitch 2.X on the Mac flattens the file.

My other confusion is with the IOS version on my iPhone. I used Skitch on my phone and did save the image to Evernote. It's the one I see when I launch Evernote. Given that I have one image that I do want in Evernote, why don't I see it when I launch Skitch on my desktop?

This sounds like one of the two Skitch apps has not completed a successful sync with Evernote. You need to let Skitch iOS sync first and then have Skitch for Mac Sync. Your saved Notes will show in both clients after syncing. To manually synch Skitch iOS simply pull down on the Library window and it will update; for the Mac please see my comments above.

If you continue to run into Skitch 2.0.3 beta issues please post them to this thread. If you have general Skitch or Evernote issues please use our Customer Support as that is the main way to get customer support from Evernote.

I don't see any reference to beta but the About panel says Skitch Version 2.0.3 (262417). (Mac OSX)

When I launch it I see two images. It says Skitch Notes In Evernote (2). If I launch Evernote, I don't see those among my notes.

I find a pull down menu top center that offers the choice Open Skitch 1.x document. When I choose that I get a finder window, not the 1.x collection of image to browse. If chose in Finder I do see my file.

Now for my newer issue. Where is local storage for 2.x? When I take a screen shot, 99 times out of a hundred, I want the image stored in my local file system, same as it was in 1.x. I like the option of saving to Evernote but I don't want to be forced to do that.

My other confusion is with the IOS version on my iPhone. I used Skitch on my phone and did save the image to Evernote. It's the one I see when I launch Evernote. Given that I have one image that I do want in Evernote, why don't I see it when I launch Skitch on my desktop?

Color me confused,

Bob

@rbl100 - Are you using the Beta 2.0.3 version? If so, you should see all of your saved Skitch notes when you sign into Skitch.

If you are using 2.0.2 (or 2.0.X) then you should read this Knowledge Base article for more options: https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=4181&hitOffset=139+119+95+82+63+61+25+23+16+4+3&docID=24145

Why does the capture screen still popup after using crosshairs? Such a waste of time. 99.9% of the time i want it to simply capture. Should be a preference defaulted off, that you could show — it if it's necessary to include at all.

post-115793-0-93837200-1355415098_thumb.

+1 It will save lot of time...

@nstanton - Thanks for the feedback. This is a feature that a lot of users have asked for so they can fine tune their shots and have more control. I'll add your suggestion to our feature list for future consideration.

Archived