(Archived) Evernote for Windows 4.6.1 Beta 1

dlu

Hello People of Windows!

We have a 4.6.1 Beta 1 that allows the Import Folder to work with Business Notebooks and Joined Notebooks. We've also fixed a crash that occasionally happened after install or upgrade. We've also fixed the issue with saved searches showing unexpected results or searches if you clicked on one saved search after another.

If you could let us know if any of these issues still come up, that would be much appreciated. We still have moving notes from personal notebooks to Business notebooks as a top priority and will be working on that soon.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Just installed it. Very promising! I can at least see the business folders now. There is an issue with tags though. Check out this image. I exported 3 notes that have a few hundred tags in them. These are our "tag notes" that make the tags used in the notebook so others can use them. Copying the notes removed the tags, so had to export/import.

• The tags show up in the notes themselves
  • THey show up in the list view
  • they do NOT show up in the tag view at left for the business notebook
  • the tags do NOT sync to other clients, so it looks like the tags are not there.

Oh, the import worked just fine though, so that is great! Have to get this tag issue resolved before I can switch.

• Level 5*

Another bug or UI issue.

You cannot share a note in a business notebook via a public URL. Either this is by design, in which case the "Share via URL" should be disabled or it is a bug. Not sure which.

• Level 5*

Ok, more on the tags.

If I try to add the "BTS" tag to the notebook that is in my Skitch image on the client that shows all of the tags in the notes themselves, it won't let me. Says the tag exists.

If I try to add the "BTS" tag to the notebook on the client that has the notes, but no tags, it will let me.

If I then sync both clients a few times, the client that has the tagless notes still has tagless notes, but shows "BTS" as a valid tag in the "Tags from Irvine Customer Service" notebook in the tag tree. The client iwth the notes that show all of the tags that won't let me add the tag manually shows no tags in the business notebook's tag tree.

something definitely fishy with the tags. Both clients are on the 7705 beta.

• Level 5*

Here's something that I noticed just now; not sure whether it's in earlier 4.6 versions:

I have several joined notebooks, and there's evidently some overlap in tags. So for example, when I have "All Notebooks" selected, I have three tags named "wiki" in my tag tree (one of them is from one of my own notebooks; the other two are from joined notebooks). They have different associated note counts: one has no note count, one has 45 notes, the other (defined in my note database) has 1. That's confusing. Moreover, and more confusing, clicking on them in the tag tree causes different results in the note list. If I click on the tags from the joined notebooks; no note filtering is done at all -- the full set of notes in all notebooks is returned, and saved search properties in that case yields an empty search string. If I click on the 'wiki' tag from my own account, I get the old (and expected result): all notes containing the tag 'wiki' from all notebooks are returned, and the saved search properties reflects this.

It's not clear to me that having different tags with the same name in the same tree gives any user benefit. Bug, or design choice? In my opinion, tags are their own data (i.e., it's just a string), no matter where they came from, and they should just be collapsed into one single tag in the list. OK, I can maybe see a case for disambiguating identically named tags from different sources, but I think that this should be more explicitly indicated, maybe something like C++ namespaces: <notebook>:<tag>. And of course, if you're going to have different semantic tags for identical tag names, then that needs to be reflected in the search grammar as well.

Also, the same issues with joined-vs-owned-vs-all notebooks I noted in earlier betas are still there. I'd add that there's probably a case for being able to treat all the notebooks shared from a single user as a single unit for searching in addition, so that gives. Gonna have to think about that to get more concrete than that, though.

Ultimately, I think that the search grammar has a lot of stuff that needs to be added, what with these types of issues and the impending due date supoort. Since the Evernote Business support happened across all major clients more or less at the same time, maybe this will all happen in the search infrastructure in a similar fashion.

Another bug or UI issue.

You cannot share a note in a business notebook via a public URL. Either this is by design, in which case the "Share via URL" should be disabled or it is a bug. Not sure which.

Thanks for reporting. We're looking into it now, it seems to happen to some accounts, but not others.

Here's something that I noticed just now; not sure whether it's in earlier 4.6 versions:

I have several joined notebooks, and there's evidently some overlap in tags. So for example, when I have "All Notebooks" selected, I have three tags named "wiki" in my tag tree (one of them is from one of my own notebooks; the other two are from joined notebooks). They have different associated note counts: one has no note count, one has 45 notes, the other (defined in my note database) has 1. That's confusing. Moreover, and more confusing, clicking on them in the tag tree causes different results in the note list. If I click on the tags from the joined notebooks; no note filtering is done at all -- the full set of notes in all notebooks is returned, and saved search properties in that case yields an empty search string. If I click on the 'wiki' tag from my own account, I get the old (and expected result): all notes containing the tag 'wiki' from all notebooks are returned, and the saved search properties reflects this.

It's not clear to me that having different tags with the same name in the same tree gives any user benefit. Bug, or design choice? In my opinion, tags are their own data (i.e., it's just a string), no matter where they came from, and they should just be collapsed into one single tag in the list. OK, I can maybe see a case for disambiguating identically named tags from different sources, but I think that this should be more explicitly indicated, maybe something like C++ namespaces: <notebook>:<tag>. And of course, if you're going to have different semantic tags for identical tag names, then that needs to be reflected in the search grammar as well.

Also, the same issues with joined-vs-owned-vs-all notebooks I noted in earlier betas are still there. I'd add that there's probably a case for being able to treat all the notebooks shared from a single user as a single unit for searching in addition, so that gives. Gonna have to think about that to get more concrete than that, though.

Ultimately, I think that the search grammar has a lot of stuff that needs to be added, what with these types of issues and the impending due date supoort. Since the Evernote Business support happened across all major clients more or less at the same time, maybe this will all happen in the search infrastructure in a similar fashion.

Yeah we aren't combining tags at the moment. Do you like how the V5 Mac client does it? Currently we're showing two tags with the same name more for technical reasons than anything else.

• Level 5*
Yeah we aren't combining tags at the moment. Do you like how the V5 Mac client does it? Currently we're showing two tags with the same name more for technical reasons than anything else.

Thanks, dlu -- I'm not a Mac user, so I couldn't say how it's done there (any Mac users out there care to enlighten me? And don't just tell me to "Get a Mac". :))

Basically I'd guess that at least part of the "technical reasons" may have something to do with resolving how to display identical tags that are nested differently, but of course I don't know that for sure.

Anyways, this is a beta, so I'm not overly concerned. That part of the UI is awkward, but not fatal, to me, anyways. Any musing on search grammar is purely that -- musing. But my usual predilection is to aim to fix the plumbing first, and then paint the kitchen.

I'm still having the save-search carry over issue in the bar. Here are the three saved searches.

# Get all notes marked for action today

Today (P1): notebook:_Current tag:@Today -tag:#*

# Get all notes without a completed tag and not tagged into other action queues

Action(W): notebook:_Current tag:@* -tag:@Future -tag:@Goals -tag:@Me -tag:@Pending -tag:@Resource -tag:@Review -tag:@Today -tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

# Pull up notes that need to be vetted out more

Brainstorm: notebook:_Current tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

All three of these tags when clicked under the Saved Searches menu in the left pane work fine, but when these are dragged up to the toolbar to be more accessible they stop working. Here's how it breaks (With all searches/tags cleared):

* Click on Today: Works as expected all notes marked @Today appear

* Click on Action: Works as expected all tags are cleared an those matching the Action criteria above are found

* Click on Brainstorm: Expected results as well (seems good) BUT

* Click on Today again: @Brainstorm tag doesn't clear, it sticks and @Today gets selected also

Good to see you're working on it diligently though, appreciate all the quick responses.

Dave

Right Clicking "All Notes" > "Export Notes" in the notebook pane does not work. This has been for the last few versions. I workaround this by selecting all notes in the list area and right clicking and then exporting.

Thanks for the report. It fails to add an .enex extension correct? We're working on this issue now.

Can tell you that this Outlook issue is killing me..........

Err I was wrong earlier. This beta should have a fix for the Outlook and IE clippers. I thought that they didn't make it into this build, but one of the engineers told me it did.

Installed well.

Bug: can only remove tags from a note, by clicking on the x on the note panel, if the tag was created previously to this upgrade. Problem persists even after syncing. Deleting the tag from the note by using Ctrl-Alt-T works.

Lena

Installed well.

Bug: can only remove tags from a note, by clicking on the x on the note panel, if the tag was created previously to this upgrade. Problem persists even after syncing. Deleting the tag from the note by using Ctrl-Alt-T works.

Lena

Just to confirm, these are notes in notebooks that in your own account, right? Just want to exclude Joined Notebooks and Business Noteboks

I'm still having the save-search carry over issue in the bar. Here are the three saved searches.

Action(W): notebook:_Current tag:@* -tag:@Future -tag:@Goals -tag:@Me -tag:@Pending -tag:@Resource -tag:@Review -tag:@Today -tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

All three of these tags when clicked under the Saved Searches menu in the left pane work fine, but when these are dragged up to the toolbar to be more accessible they stop working. Here's how it breaks (With all searches/tags cleared):

* Click on Action: Works as expected all tags are cleared an those matching the Action criteria above are found

* Click on Today again: @Brainstorm tag doesn't clear, it sticks and @Today gets selected also

Good to see you're working on it diligently though, appreciate all the quick responses.

Dave

Same problem. This problem appeared in 4.6.0 Beta 2 and not solved yet.

• Level 5*

Please note the bug that allows notes to be created in the non-default notebook addressed here still exists. Just had a bunch of personal info go into my business account again. I deleted the notes but now they are in the permanent trash. Any ideas how to delete them? right-clicking doesn't have a delete option, and I am not seeing in the admin panel where I can remove them either.

I thought Tools|Import Notes was my show-stopper, but it may be this. We cannot have a mix of personal and business stuff in the business notebooks. People will quit using evernote once they make the error once, and that is worse than missing out on the benefits that we get with a simple Premium account vs Business account.

Just to confirm that the reported problem with outlook is now properly working with this beta version. I can have email added to Evernote by clicking the "Add to evernote 4" button in outlook.

Thanks.

-Pierre

Dave

I'm getting the same issues, with my TSW saved searches too.

The tags in this new version are driving me bananas. Even when I select a notebook that has only my own notes, I'm seeing tags from shared notebooks. HUGELY annoying.

OK about migrating to business and more ease of sharing, but please don't abandon us who for 2+ years have carefully developed our own workflow based on consistent and predictable behavior on the part of EN.

Thanks,

lena

We've also fixed the issue with saved searches showing unexpected results or searches if you clicked on one saved search after another.

I've been bitten too many times with EN updates breaking things. Not just betas, but full production releases as well.

Would love to apply this patch but despite what's promised it doesn't seem like the stated bugs are actually fixed. And who knows what new problems will be introduced. I already have to use kludgy workarounds to deal with bugs and mobile device limitations -- don't want to have to figure out new ones.

I love the product vision for Evernote, but the execution seems poor. Too fragile, too many new bugs introduced, new features added while core features still not working properly -- it all undermines trust.

I'm now actively investigating Onenote, Springpad and other services to see if they're more robust. They may not have the same breadth of features as Evernote, but as long as they have the features I need -- and aren't continuously being broken by the development process -- that's what matters.

More about this, which is clearly a bug:

The tags in this new version are driving me bananas. Even when I select a notebook that has only my own notes, I'm seeing tags from shared notebooks. HUGELY annoying.

The tags from shared notebooks appear interspersed with my own whenever I select any top level notebook. Only one top level notebook contains my shared notebooks, but every single top level notebook will list the shared tags under the heading "Tags from Personal."

Attached is the viewing setting I'm using. Thanks.

lena

post-63161-0-27206300-1355710856_thumb.p

• Level 5*
I can see the same thing. I think the key is stacks. Clicking on a stack is what is causing all of the tags to show for me.

I agree that that's a problem. Clicking on a stack consisting only of my own notebooks appears to bring in tags from my joined notebooks. All of those tags go away if I click on any of those stack notebooks individually.

I am running Evernote 4.6.1.7705 under Windows 7 64 Bit and Outlook 2012 32 Bit. In Outlook whenever I try to send a mail to Evernote I get a message box with "Unexpected error during note creation" and sending the mail to Evernote fails.

Is this problem already known?

• Level 5*

I am running Evernote 4.6.1.7705 under Windows 7 64 Bit and Outlook 2012 32 Bit. In Outlook whenever I try to send a mail to Evernote I get a message box with "Unexpected error during note creation" and sending the mail to Evernote fails.

So you are just creating a email or forwarding an existing email to your evernote email addy and getting that error? That is really strange because Outlook doesn't really talk to Evernote, so not sure how the note creation fails in EN and Outlook fails to send the email. They aren't really related.

So you are just creating a email or forwarding an existing email to your evernote email addy and getting that error? That is really strange because Outlook doesn't really talk to Evernote, so not sure how the note creation fails in EN and Outlook fails to send the email. They aren't really related.

Am not really sending an email to my Evernote email address. I am just trying to mark a mail and hit the Evernote button in the ribbons bar, so that a new Evernote note is created with the same content as this mail. The mail does not travel through any mail servers again to get into my Evernote account.

I just checked again: It works with all the other emails but it fails with this particular one from Amazon. Maybe I could forward this email to the Evernote support? It contains my address, so I can't attach it here.

• Level 5

This is fixed and will show up in the release version of 4.6.1. Thanks for pointing out the issue and thanks to everyone for the steps to reproduce it.

• Level 5*

I just checked again: It works with all the other emails but it fails with this particular one from Amazon. Maybe I could forward this email to the Evernote support? It contains my address, so I can't attach it here.

Ok, that is different. That is the "Add to Evernote" icon.

I can almost guaruatee you there is a special character in the subject that you aren't seeing. A number of ASCII characters look like a space, but aren't, and will trip up the Add to Evernote feature. For those, I have to forward the email via real email.

I wish the tool would pass ANY valid ASCII character, but it doesn't. It chokes on some.

You should open a ticket though and send them that email.

Ok, that is different. That is the "Add to Evernote" icon.

I can almost guaruatee you there is a special character in the subject that you aren't seeing. A number of ASCII characters look like a space, but aren't, and will trip up the Add to Evernote feature. For those, I have to forward the email via real email.

I wish the tool would pass ANY valid ASCII character, but it doesn't. It chokes on some.

You should open a ticket though and send them that email.

I think your are right! :) Amazon added two arrow-characters into the subject. I can't even copy & paste these characters from Outlook into this forum's reply-textbox in Firefox.

But as a workaround forwarding the email to my Evernote account's email-address did work.

• Level 5*

Just FYI, there's a beta 2 released: http://discussion.ev...ows-461-beta-2/

The "move" feature is now there, which is nice. It warns you that note history will be lost, but not that URLs will be changed if there are note links. The warning should include that too.

Still cannot really test though until the inability to delete notes is fixed. I have a corrupt note preventing me from syncing my business account and I cannot delete it.

Just FYI, there's a beta 2 released: http://discussion.ev...ows-461-beta-2/

The "move" feature is now there, which is nice. It warns you that note history will be lost, but not that URLs will be changed if there are note links. The warning should include that too.

Still cannot really test though until the inability to delete notes is fixed. I have a corrupt note preventing me from syncing my business account and I cannot delete it.

Yeah, I realized the text change too. It'll be there soon. For deleting business notes, do you mean deleting and putting in trash or deleting from trash? I believe deleting from trash (aka permanently deleting) is in the admin console...

• Level 5*

For deleting business notes, do you mean deleting and putting in trash or deleting from trash? I believe deleting from trash (aka permanently deleting) is in the admin console...

Nope. That is where it is supposed to be, but it isn't. As of right now, once a note is put in the business account, it is there forever, undeletable until this feature is added.

Archived