Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Evernote for Windows 4.6.1 Beta 1

evernote

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hello People of Windows!

We have a 4.6.1 Beta 1 that allows the Import Folder to work with Business Notebooks and Joined Notebooks. We've also fixed a crash that occasionally happened after install or upgrade. We've also fixed the issue with saved searches showing unexpected results or searches if you clicked on one saved search after another.

If you could let us know if any of these issues still come up, that would be much appreciated. We still have moving notes from personal notebooks to Business notebooks as a top priority and will be working on that soon.

Thanks!
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Does this beta fix the Outlook problem?:

http://discussion.ev...o-outlook-2010/

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#3 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Just installed it. Very promising! I can at least see the business folders now. There is an issue with tags though. Check out this image. I exported 3 notes that have a few hundred tags in them. These are our "tag notes" that make the tags used in the notebook so others can use them. Copying the notes removed the tags, so had to export/import.
  • The tags show up in the notes themselves
  • THey show up in the list view
  • they do NOT show up in the tag view at left for the business notebook
  • the tags do NOT sync to other clients, so it looks like the tags are not there.

Oh, the import worked just fine though, so that is great! Have to get this tag issue resolved before I can switch.

#4 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Another bug or UI issue.

You cannot share a note in a business notebook via a public URL. Either this is by design, in which case the "Share via URL" should be disabled or it is a bug. Not sure which.

#5 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Ok, more on the tags.

If I try to add the "BTS" tag to the notebook that is in my Skitch image on the client that shows all of the tags in the notes themselves, it won't let me. Says the tag exists.
If I try to add the "BTS" tag to the notebook on the client that has the notes, but no tags, it will let me.

If I then sync both clients a few times, the client that has the tagless notes still has tagless notes, but shows "BTS" as a valid tag in the "Tags from Irvine Customer Service" notebook in the tag tree. The client iwth the notes that show all of the tags that won't let me add the tag manually shows no tags in the business notebook's tag tree.

something definitely fishy with the tags. Both clients are on the 7705 beta.

#6 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

iOS clients also showing no tags.

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

Here's something that I noticed just now; not sure whether it's in earlier 4.6 versions:
I have several joined notebooks, and there's evidently some overlap in tags. So for example, when I have "All Notebooks" selected, I have three tags named "wiki" in my tag tree (one of them is from one of my own notebooks; the other two are from joined notebooks). They have different associated note counts: one has no note count, one has 45 notes, the other (defined in my note database) has 1. That's confusing. Moreover, and more confusing, clicking on them in the tag tree causes different results in the note list. If I click on the tags from the joined notebooks; no note filtering is done at all -- the full set of notes in all notebooks is returned, and saved search properties in that case yields an empty search string. If I click on the 'wiki' tag from my own account, I get the old (and expected result): all notes containing the tag 'wiki' from all notebooks are returned, and the saved search properties reflects this.

It's not clear to me that having different tags with the same name in the same tree gives any user benefit. Bug, or design choice? In my opinion, tags are their own data (i.e., it's just a string), no matter where they came from, and they should just be collapsed into one single tag in the list. OK, I can maybe see a case for disambiguating identically named tags from different sources, but I think that this should be more explicitly indicated, maybe something like C++ namespaces: <notebook>:<tag>. And of course, if you're going to have different semantic tags for identical tag names, then that needs to be reflected in the search grammar as well.

Also, the same issues with joined-vs-owned-vs-all notebooks I noted in earlier betas are still there. I'd add that there's probably a case for being able to treat all the notebooks shared from a single user as a single unit for searching in addition, so that gives. Gonna have to think about that to get more concrete than that, though.

Ultimately, I think that the search grammar has a lot of stuff that needs to be added, what with these types of issues and the impending due date supoort. Since the Evernote Business support happened across all major clients more or less at the same time, maybe this will all happen in the search infrastructure in a similar fashion.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#8 sinman

sinman

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

I cant even install it... keeps giving me a "please try again later" error...

Edit
Scratch that. Managed to download it.

#9 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Another bug or UI issue.

You cannot share a note in a business notebook via a public URL. Either this is by design, in which case the "Share via URL" should be disabled or it is a bug. Not sure which.

Thanks for reporting. We're looking into it now, it seems to happen to some accounts, but not others.
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

#10 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Here's something that I noticed just now; not sure whether it's in earlier 4.6 versions:
I have several joined notebooks, and there's evidently some overlap in tags. So for example, when I have "All Notebooks" selected, I have three tags named "wiki" in my tag tree (one of them is from one of my own notebooks; the other two are from joined notebooks). They have different associated note counts: one has no note count, one has 45 notes, the other (defined in my note database) has 1. That's confusing. Moreover, and more confusing, clicking on them in the tag tree causes different results in the note list. If I click on the tags from the joined notebooks; no note filtering is done at all -- the full set of notes in all notebooks is returned, and saved search properties in that case yields an empty search string. If I click on the 'wiki' tag from my own account, I get the old (and expected result): all notes containing the tag 'wiki' from all notebooks are returned, and the saved search properties reflects this.

It's not clear to me that having different tags with the same name in the same tree gives any user benefit. Bug, or design choice? In my opinion, tags are their own data (i.e., it's just a string), no matter where they came from, and they should just be collapsed into one single tag in the list. OK, I can maybe see a case for disambiguating identically named tags from different sources, but I think that this should be more explicitly indicated, maybe something like C++ namespaces: <notebook>:<tag>. And of course, if you're going to have different semantic tags for identical tag names, then that needs to be reflected in the search grammar as well.

Also, the same issues with joined-vs-owned-vs-all notebooks I noted in earlier betas are still there. I'd add that there's probably a case for being able to treat all the notebooks shared from a single user as a single unit for searching in addition, so that gives. Gonna have to think about that to get more concrete than that, though.

Ultimately, I think that the search grammar has a lot of stuff that needs to be added, what with these types of issues and the impending due date supoort. Since the Evernote Business support happened across all major clients more or less at the same time, maybe this will all happen in the search infrastructure in a similar fashion.

Yeah we aren't combining tags at the moment. Do you like how the V5 Mac client does it? Currently we're showing two tags with the same name more for technical reasons than anything else.

#11 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Does this beta fix the Outlook problem?:

http://discussion.ev...o-outlook-2010/

-- roschler

Not yet. Long story short, it's coming soon to a beta near you.

#12 WorldChef

WorldChef

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Can tell you that this Outlook issue is killing me..........

#13 jfkaess

jfkaess

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I still have the issue of syncing not happening automatically until I first do a manual sync. The automatic sync works fine. This began with 4.6

premium user since 2010

#14 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yeah we aren't combining tags at the moment. Do you like how the V5 Mac client does it? Currently we're showing two tags with the same name more for technical reasons than anything else.

Thanks, dlu -- I'm not a Mac user, so I couldn't say how it's done there (any Mac users out there care to enlighten me? And don't just tell me to "Get a Mac". :))

Basically I'd guess that at least part of the "technical reasons" may have something to do with resolving how to display identical tags that are nested differently, but of course I don't know that for sure.

Anyways, this is a beta, so I'm not overly concerned. That part of the UI is awkward, but not fatal, to me, anyways. Any musing on search grammar is purely that -- musing. But my usual predilection is to aim to fix the plumbing first, and then paint the kitchen.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#15 dpacker

dpacker

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm still having the save-search carry over issue in the bar. Here are the three saved searches.

# Get all notes marked for action today
Today (P1): notebook:_Current tag:@Today -tag:#*

# Get all notes without a completed tag and not tagged into other action queues
Action(W): notebook:_Current tag:@* -tag:@Future -tag:@Goals -tag:@Me -tag:@Pending -tag:@Resource -tag:@Review -tag:@Today -tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

# Pull up notes that need to be vetted out more
Brainstorm: notebook:_Current tag:@Brainstorm -tag:#*

All three of these tags when clicked under the Saved Searches menu in the left pane work fine, but when these are dragged up to the toolbar to be more accessible they stop working. Here's how it breaks (With all searches/tags cleared):

* Click on Today: Works as expected all notes marked @Today appear
* Click on Action: Works as expected all tags are cleared an those matching the Action criteria above are found
* Click on Brainstorm: Expected results as well (seems good) BUT
* Click on Today again: @Brainstorm tag doesn't clear, it sticks and @Today gets selected also

Good to see you're working on it diligently though, appreciate all the quick responses.

Dave

#16 black.rhino

black.rhino

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Right Clicking "All Notes" > "Export Notes" in the notebook pane does not work. This has been for the last few versions. I workaround this by selecting all notes in the list area and right clicking and then exporting.

BlackBerry 10

Feature Requests

#17 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Right Clicking "All Notes" > "Export Notes" in the notebook pane does not work. This has been for the last few versions. I workaround this by selecting all notes in the list area and right clicking and then exporting.

Thanks for the report. It fails to add an .enex extension correct? We're working on this issue now.

#18 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Can tell you that this Outlook issue is killing me..........

Err I was wrong earlier. This beta should have a fix for the Outlook and IE clippers. I thought that they didn't make it into this build, but one of the engineers told me it did.

#19 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

Installed well.

Bug: can only remove tags from a note, by clicking on the x on the note panel, if the tag was created previously to this upgrade. Problem persists even after syncing. Deleting the tag from the note by using Ctrl-Alt-T works.

Lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#20 dlu

dlu

• 2,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

Installed well.

Bug: can only remove tags from a note, by clicking on the x on the note panel, if the tag was created previously to this upgrade. Problem persists even after syncing. Deleting the tag from the note by using Ctrl-Alt-T works.

Lena

Just to confirm, these are notes in notebooks that in your own account, right? Just want to exclude Joined Notebooks and Business Noteboks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote