(Archived) Evernote 5.0.3 For Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5*

Hi folks,

We just released a quick update that should address the following issues from our previous version:

- Freeze on launch

- Applescript Tags

- Trunk in China

Enjoy!

http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

Thanks. No apparent changes, but good to know things are being ironed out in the background. When you want to take a break from working on my Vertical List View, here is a bug (?). When I click on related notes, the title is highlighted. This has resulted in a couple accidental title deletions when I typed into the notes (too many windows open on my screen these days). No big deal, of course, but why is it highlighted in the first place?

• Level 5

BTW it said "Downloading 5.0.2" when it meant "5.0.3". (Release Notes confirmed it WAS 5.0.3.) So your script/whatever needs to reflect the new release, not the current one. (As I was on 5.0.2 I assume it picked up the existing one - though the packaging might've still said 5.0.2 when it meant 5.0.3.)

Still broken!

I hope the downgrade link version is still on that other thread. Evernote has crashed within about thirty seconds of launching, every time I've launched it (five times and counting) since I updated to this version. Better than the last version--it doesn't hang--but still unusable, I'm sorry to say.

P.S. - Was/is this supposed to be a Beta version? In all seriousness, I need to stick to the most recent stable version until these bugs are all ironed out. I don't mind beta software, when I'm signed up for that, but... I didn't intend to download a beta version of Evernote. I rely on it too much for that.

This version is crashing a lot here. Having problems adding tags to notes, it shuts down and/or freeze when I try to move notes from one notebook to another...

P.S. - Was/is this supposed to be a Beta version? In all seriousness, I need to stick to the most recent stable version until these bugs are all ironed out. I don't mind beta software, when I'm signed up for that, but... I didn't intend to download a beta version of Evernote. I rely on it too much for that.

Totally agree with Terra, I rely on evernote to organize my work daily and, man, this 5.0.3 release is letting me down...

In case anyone needs it, and to save having to search other threads, here is the link to the download site with the older version of Evernote for those who want to back-grade.

I'm still on v3.3.build 300201 - working absolutely fine. But I'm keeping an eye on things here to see when all the fuss about v5 settles down to the point where I'm game to try it again - but it sounds like it's nowhere near ready for prime time yet.

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/old-versions/

I'm having same problem with a MacBook Pro. No problems since early 2010. Evernote increasingly unstable over past 2-3 weeks. Frequent crashes every day. After I downloaded update on 12/5, program will not open. When I click, it behaves like it's opening but cannot access program or notes. Have to hit "Force quit" to get it to close. Very frustrating!

I just upgraded from 5.0 to 5.0.3, and have already noticed two HUGE improvements that I did not see in the release notes:

1. Tables are now much more flexible and can be easily edited. This is a major step forward - one of the big things that was keeping me from committing to Evernote.

2. Spotlight searches are now finding Evernote documents on my machine. It had not been working for me, and tech support had no solution. Again, this was a deal-breaker, and it has been fixed. (Though in a roundabout way... evernote.log makes it seem that EN has taken on the indexing task instead of waiting for Spotlight's md process. Whatever!)

I'm not sure if these came out in 5.0.1, 2, or 3... you might want to add them to the release notes so people who had these complaints can find them.

Thank you!!!

• Level 5*

(2) Startup Screen

- I've been getting the occasional startup screen asking me to sign in for a long time (reported for previous versions) and it seems to have come back. When I tried to open the app it looked like I was signed out in the startup screen, but then it opened normally, and has been working fine. In the middle of working, though, I got the startup screen again. I'm definitely signed in and successfully syncing. I don't know why this window keeps popping up in the middle of working.

About Dusan and Bojan011's questions... on my macpro tower I have updates because I guess I first installed EN years ago. On the newer laptop I grabbed it from the app store.

Is there a link or explanation of:

• What's the Difference between these?
  • Why you can grab updates for one but not the other?
  • Should I just trash the app store version and use the EN site for the app?
  • How do I do that / is it worth the effort?

-- Jim

• Level 5*

About Dusan and Bojan011's questions... on my macpro tower I have updates because I guess I first installed EN years ago. On the newer laptop I grabbed it from the app store.

Is there a link or explanation of:

• What's the Difference between these?
  • Why you can grab updates for one but not the other?
  • Should I just trash the app store version and use the EN site for the app?
  • How do I do that / is it worth the effort?

-- Jim

I think it is generally more full-featured. For example, as far as I know, there have been no Spotlight indexing issues with it, and it is easy to save a PDF into Evernote on the home brew version. I see no benefit whatsoever with the appstore version, you don't get access to betas, and you will generally receive updates later. This is not Evernote's fault, but a result of the new appstore regimes that have sprung up in recent years, with good (exposure for apps like Evernote), and bad (annoying restrictions on content) aspects.

Here are instructions for getting onboard with the home brew. Some of the steps are overkill, but they will ensure no problems occur.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

• Level 5*

(3) Text > Evernote

- Dragging text files into Evernote no longer works? If so, that has broken a major workflow for me. I've got 2200 files waiting to get into the app, and now I am stuck. What happened? We used to be able to drag them in and an Evernote note would be created (even with version 5.0 of the app), but now all I get are attachments. I'll try and figure out something, but please do reconsider returning this functionality.

[EDIT:] LOL. The joke is on me today. I dragged them into Windows, and it works fine (Parallels with the Evernote Windows icon showing in my Mac dock), but the files are all called "Page 1" because they take the first line of the note and make that the title. Ugh. No way I am going to re-title 2200 notes....

[EDIT:] Downgraded. Same problem... Well, maybe it is the encoding, and the app is OK after all. I don't know why Windows is fine with the plain text files and the Mac isn't, but I'll have to sort this out on my own I guess.

Just an FYI. Starting with 5.0.2, the Evernote integration within Postbox (3.0.6) is broken if your mail messages have any Topics set on them. Verified this with Postbox support yesterday. Downgrading to Evernote 5.0.1 solves the issue.

(2) Startup Screen

- I've been getting the occasional startup screen asking me to sign in for a long time (reported for previous versions) and it seems to have come back. When I tried to open the app it looked like I was signed out in the startup screen, but then it opened normally, and has been working fine. In the middle of working, though, I got the startup screen again. I'm definitely signed in and successfully syncing. I don't know why this window keeps popping up in the middle of working.

This occurs every time I clip from FF, even when I'm logged in to EN and the app is running. The screen appears for about 3 seconds then it's business as usual. Been happening for several versions.

With the upgrade to 5.0.3, I can no longer synchronize! Anyone else have this problem. (I've reported it.)

Maybe it's just my own problem, but I've not been impressed by the engineering quality of 5.x for the Mac so far. (Before 5, I found Evernote to be an amazingly stable.)

Downgrade to 5.0.0 in order to continue using Evernote do organize my work here. Looking forward to see the next release hoping for this issues to be solved.

It's important to say: I really love Evernote, and think v.5 is amazing. Just upset with the unstable releases.

Edu Tanaka: Curious why you chose to downgrade to 5.0.0 -- I'm thinking of going back to 5.0.2 to see whether my problem gets resolved.

Hi rdhyee, actually it was just a lazy choice. Since I read people saying the 5.0.3 was not available on apple app store I just went there hoping for a quick way to downgrade to 5.0.2. Turns out the app stor version is 5.0.0.

• Level 5*

(3) Text > Evernote

- Dragging text files into Evernote no longer works? If so, that has broken a major workflow for me. I've got 2200 files waiting to get into the app, and now I am stuck. What happened? We used to be able to drag them in and an Evernote note would be created (even with version 5.0 of the app), but now all I get are attachments. I'll try and figure out something, but please do reconsider returning this functionality.

[EDIT:] LOL. The joke is on me today. I dragged them into Windows, and it works fine (Parallels with the Evernote Windows icon showing in my Mac dock), but the files are all called "Page 1" because they take the first line of the note and make that the title. Ugh. No way I am going to re-title 2200 notes....

[EDIT:] Downgraded. Same problem... Well, maybe it is the encoding, and the app is OK after all. I don't know why Windows is fine with the plain text files and the Mac isn't, but I'll have to sort this out on my own I guess.

*sigh* I don't know why the files are UTF-16, but apparently these are only recognized by Windows (with the attendant problems), and I have to convert everything to UTF-8. I'll figure this out, but it looks like a problem on my end.

Evernote 5.0.3 - updated and hoo boy was that a frustration - still having problems - synch problems, hangs and then doesn't save the title, the tags, or allow you to assign to a another notebook from inbox.

I am leveraging EN for my GTD system and this is really putting a crimp in my system - any word on a solution?

I am perfectly comfortable with my Version 5.0.2 (12/03/2012) build 400649 Evernote system of 2765 notes 1 notebook, no tags. No problems at all!!! Works wonders!!!

Will I upgrade to 5.0.3? No way, not in 15 days, maybe by Christmas they'll have all the demons out...

@Jackolicious

Submitted ticket #16051-196827 two days ago and this release is still broken AF! I've been a user/evangelist for EN since 2008 and a premium user for over a year. Why this POS was released is unfathomable. I sincerely hope that the EN team isn't taking the weekend off with this joke affecting so many. Seriously, when can we expect a working fix and if the answer is uncertain, how can I get a link to a previous working release?

#NEVERNOTE

Another bug is that the ScanSnap software cannot communicate with this version of Evernote if Evernote is already running. This means that the user has to close Evernote before every scan. And, after ScanSnap loads Evernote to upload the scan, Evernote will no long sync, so you lose any subsequent posts anyway.

How does one revert back to 5.0.2? This version is too dangerous if you lose notes without any error message!

Well, I'm happy to report that this update to 5.0.3 really changed Evernote for me.

Previously, loading Evernote took ages before the window appeared, as it worked in the background, but now its loading my 5000+ notes really fast :)

About how to go back to Evernote 5.0.2 -- first a word of caution -- the following procedure worked for me but I can't guarantee it'll work for you. Take care, especially, if you worry about losing data.

I download version 5.0.2 from http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/old-versions/ , which is not an official archive of installers, but one I decided to trust enough. (Can we get a URL to download old versions directly from Evernote?) I then copied the 5.0.2 app over my existing Evernote app (I rebooted my computer first because I had some residual evernote app running).

it might worth doing a complete reinstall of Evernote -- looks like a nice guide.

I don't have any local unsynched files -- so I was free not to worry about losing local data.

• Level 5*

We just released a quick update that should address the following issues from our previous version:

Jack, with only 1 or 2 exceptions, looks like the response to your 5.0.3 update has been pretty bad.

Looks like a premature, not properly tested, update.

While we all want updates quickly, no one wants a quick update at the expense of quality, proper QA, proper testing, that adds more bugs than it fixed.

I'm just glad that on my primary Mac I'm still running EN Mac v3, and I will continue to do so until EN Mac 5 has restored ALL of the functions you removed, and has fixed all of the NEW bugs that you introduced with Ver 5+.

I have had no problems with Evernote until I updated. I am on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

So far I have discovered that screen captures aren't working. They are listed as recent notes but won't show up in notebook. When I restarted Evernote they were lost permanently.

Also, my Evernote won't sync at all.

So, I am quitting using my desktop Evernote for now, until another update fixes these.

• Level 5*

BUG

- Moved a bunch of notes out of a notebook. One loner is left in there now and cannot be moved out. This is an old bug reported for previous versions. Eventually, he'll make the journey out of the notebook, but clearly this is a bug.

Hi,

Macbook pro on snow leopard.

- 5.0.2 used to randomly crash

- 5.0.3 with random bugs I have to quit to make it work again, with some data loss :

• can't sync,
  • moving notes from one notebook to the other doesn't work,
  • note fusing doesn't work

Too bad, I like the new style of the 5.xx app but Evernote HAS to be reliable if you have to discharge our brains in it...

Cheers folks,

Mendelius

I couldn't find if this was posted already. In the new Evernote for Mac, some of my notes that have images don't display the image in thumbnail. All the other notes around them display a thumbnail of the image, just certain ones refuse to thumbnail. :huh:

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey as a circumvention what happens if you create a dummy note in that evacuated notebook and move the last real one out?

Yes. That did it. Thanks! The note was in another notebook (according to information displayed) but showing in the wrong one. I still had to switch it back to the original one and then move it again. Perhaps, if I had just switched back and forth it would have worked.

• Level 5*

BUG: Deleting Note

- I don't know why, but I have been beachballing for about 5 minutes after deleting a note. I am forcing it to quit.

BUG: Upload Allowance

- Even after I increased my upload allowance, it would not let me make a new note. First of all, I should still be able to make new notes, even if I cannot sync them, right? Second of all, I had increased the allowance. After I clicked on my account information badge, it finally let me make a new note. Both behaviors seem like bugs to me.

• Level 5*

(13) Blank Screens

- They happen so often, and I have no idea why. I am always running into screens with "0 Notes," even when I have not done any searches. I pressed the Notes nab on the sidebar and got a blank screen again. I haven't run across this a single time (in memory) in Windows, so I am wondering what it is about my workflow that keeps resulting in so many dead ends. I will try to figure it out.

@Sallyab:

Thank you, NighStalker, for the old version link. I have backgraded ( or is it 'downgraded'??)

You're very welcome :)

I look on that maneouvre as being an upgrade, actually. The version number may have gone down, but the usability and features list has most definitely gone UP.... ;)

If you are having crashes or trouble syncing, please make sure you submit your logs to support for analysis.

5.03 was so unusable for me that I was forced to again immediately downgrade to the version you provided in response to the problems in 5.02. I AM continuing to experience crashes with that version (which I believe may be 5.01), and I've been submitting crash reports as they pop up (many times a day), but because I'm not using (and not willing to use) 5.03, I have no idea if those reports are being examined or ignored due to the fact that they're reports for an older version.

I'm waiting for the next update. I'm sorry if that's not helpful to the team trying to identify the cause for these crashes, but I don't have time to beta this software. I need it to work, and if it doesn't, I need to wait for a version that does or find an alternative. (Which, frankly, would suck, since I've only just recently migrated over in full, due to thinking Evernote was the best thing ever.)

EN: Consider this concept: Regression testing

Maybe instead of "quick releases" the company should concentrate on "quality" releases. Apps that manage what their customers consider to be critical data should be tested, regression tested, then beta tested, not just turned loose. Proper testing will remove the need to release a new version once a week to fix the bugs in the previous version.

I'm staying with 3.3 until EN re-invents the lost art of testing.

If you are having crashes or trouble syncing, please make sure you submit your logs to support for analysis.

We're customers, not testers. The post you've made should be to an internal testing group, or at most a group of external volunteer beta testers, not to the general user population. Have some respect for your customers.

We're customers, not testers. The post you've made should be to an internal testing group, or at most a group of external volunteer beta testers, not to the general user population. Have some respect for your customers.

Exactly. Evernote is a mature product, and yet these half-assed releases are making people (like myself) look toward other solutions. I've downgraded to an earlier version (3.1) which looks better and actually works. 5.0.3 fails in so many basic ways - lost notes, missing thumbnails - that it isn't worth the effort to fix.

Joining with a chorus of other longtime EN users on this thread, I just downgraded from v5 to v3.3 on my mac desktop.

I was not terribly happy with the new v5 (notably the unreadable font size) so I kept running v3.3 on my laptop, but I was willing to work around the stylistic shortcomings in v5 on my desktop. Then, as with many other users, the upgrade to 5.0.3 totally broke my desktop application. Syncing stopped working entirely.

As a premium member I submitted a ticket with activity log to the support team, and was told to reinstall. After several re-installs this morning (with careful "sudo rm -rf" to erase absolutely everything) I've given up on v5. Thanks to nightstalker for the filehorse link I'm back-upgraded to v3.3, and not looking forward.

I do appreciate the presence of evernote employees like Jackolicious on these boards. I believe (hope) you guys are sweating this out and working hard to fix these bugs, but I'd also second Boatguy's comment that this is an unacceptably poor release. I've wasted several hours now dealing with this beta-quality version. Although EN is a free app for many, some of us premium users are paying annually, and you won't keep us if future releases are similarly untested.

Also: many thanks to the loyal evangelists like nightstalker, gumpmonkey and others that provide pages and pages of useful support while jackolicious is hopefully occupied with bug-fixing.

• Level 5*

Also: many thanks to the loyal evangelists like nightstalker, gumpmonkey and others that provide pages and pages of useful support while jackolicious is hopefully occupied with bug-fixing.

Thanks for the kind words. We try to help as much as we can, and as you said, hopefully that frees Jackolicious and his team up to work out the kinks.

Perhaps, it might not be a bad idea for Evernote to leave links on its main site to three versions:

(1) Appstore

(2) Home Brew

(3) Home Brew -- previous version of v5

This would solve a lot of problems, though users who want to downgrade even further could reasonably be expected to search in the forums. A really kind alternative would be to provide a link to every stable version from the beginning to the present (some developers do this, and I think it is very cool, though there may be implications that I am unaware of for a large company like Evernote). This would help users, who might not want to save copies of everything on their computers, and feel uncomfortable downloading from unauthorized sites.

Perhaps, it might not be a bad idea for Evernote to leave links on its main site to three versions:

(1) Appstore

(2) Home Brew

Grumpy: I'm an avid homebrew user, but I'm unfamiliar with the provenance of the homebrew version. When I do a "brew search evernote" I get no formulae. I think I followed a link of yours to the 'homebrew version' for v5 on another thread, and the .dmg I got was indistinguishable from the one I downloaded from the evernote web site... ah, maybe that's the difference? The "homebrew" version is downloaded directly from the web, as opposed to the version distributed through the mac app store?

• Level 5*

(1) Appstore

(2) Home Brew

Grumpy: I'm an avid homebrew user, but I'm unfamiliar with the provenance of the homebrew version. When I do a "brew search evernote" I get no formulae. I think I followed a link of yours to the 'homebrew version' for v5 on another thread, and the .dmg I got was indistinguishable from the one I downloaded from the evernote web site... ah, maybe that's the difference? The "homebrew" version is downloaded directly from the web, as opposed to the version distributed through the mac app store?

That is the key difference. Personally, I think it is very confusing as it is now (the developers have already heard from me on this one), but we'll work with what we've got! At least there is a home brew version -- it definitely makes my life easier. The Apple appstore is... a mixed blessing, and one I prefer to keep at arm's length whenever possible.

• Level 5*

Oh goodness. I had no idea. Thanks!

I was just using what I took to be Evernote in-house terminology. I prefer the slangy feel of home brew, but no point in confusing things with it. I'll probably use "direct download" and "appstore download."

Jonny: if you go back to page 1 of this thread you'll find a post from NightStalker with an external link for downloading old versions. I'll echo it below for late arrivers to this thread like you and me.

!! NOTE: DOWNGRADING IS NOT RECOMMENDED OR SUPPORTED BY EVERNOTE STAFF !! (but it works to get away from 5.0.x)

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/old-versions/

• Level 5*

Wow! I have never seen such an overwhelming rejection of a new EN Mac version as we are seeing here.

These posts are coming from a wide variety of users, many of which have seldom made a post here before.

There are many, many posts rejecting Ver 5, not only in this thread, but in a number of other threads.

Evernote, I sincerely hope you are getting the message. It is pretty much the same message that your users sent when you released EN Skitch Ver 2.

So, I decided to try out Evernote for the first time yesterday, since Wiki on a Stick no longer works on Firefox. I downloaded the Mac client and Firefox Web Clipper, made three notes, and went to bed. In the morning I went to school and signed onto the Evernote web client. One of the notes was missing: weird and frustrating, maybe it hadn't synced. But it's clearly a cool tool, so I made a dozen or so more notes before going home.

But when I open Evernote for Mac 5.0.3 (400675) (on OS X 10.6.8), it did not sync. Moreover, only one of the three original notes I had made on the client were still there: there was one missing, and another one that I had later modified via the web client was now missing (but still present in the web client). In fact it wouldn't do anything. Quitting and restarting—nothing. Signing out and back in—nothing. Quitting all applications, logging out, and logging back in before restarting—nothing. So I checked the forums here, someone advised quitting, deleting or moving my user folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote then reopening Evernote. I tried that, but the only difference was that all my notes were gone and it would not sync. Or actually, the program clearly believed that it HAD synced, because on the list of things to do in Evernote, once I clicked "Sync", the "Sync with Evernote" suggestion became crossed-out, as if I had successfully synced. But I still had no notes on the desktop client. I tried clicking "New Note", but that did nothing, even though I had created several notes with that earlier. I tried reinstalling after closing all Evernote software, but this accomplished nothing. It was completely broken.

I've not submitted a bug report and activity logs because I'm new to the software, and more concerned about trying to figure out how to get it to function at all, in a timely way. This has been, for me, a very poor introduction to Evernote.

Thanks to the folks that posted a link to Evernote for Mac version 3.3. That seems to be working just fine, in comparison.

`I'm lost now, I need something like Evernote before the update.

I've been an Evernote user with 500+ notes for many years and I had to access commands from the navigation menu for the first time in the last few days after new Evernote came out.

I discovered that there is a command for syncing, never had to search for it before in years of use on Macs, iPhones, PCs, on the web.

It's a smart idea to add tags to notes, but if tags get hidden few clicks away, they get less useful

It's smart idea to have multiple notebooks, but if they get hidden like tags it's like a dumb situation.

Now we only have search, cool! that's a new feature! like eating every day of your life salad!

I don't know maybe you replaced developers with marketers but marketers still need a product to do their job.

After years of reliability in the last few days I'm experiencing crashes when I create a new note, when syncing, when editing old ones, install Evernote on a new Computer give nothing, no notes, nothing, but at least it doesn't crash.

I don't like the new design, I think it a huge step back, good for occasional users who can say "Hey cool!!" but heavy professional users would just move away looking for alternatives like I'm doing right now.

being buggy for an important app like this it's enough but adding the totally step back in functionality make me look around but your approach to note-taking is the best in my opinion, so I come back and ask you to re-think your decisions!!!

• Level 5

I completely understand the frustration. We do thorough testing before each release but seem to have missed a big issue with this release on Mac Snow Leopard (10.6). We've built a quick fix that should help with these problems: REDACTED FOR OLD INFORMATION This is not being released to the general public until we complete testing.

Thank you for your continued understanding. We will continue to do our best to keep your trust.

Jack - you already know that I think the best way to keep everyone's trust is to go back to the previous version. Forget about version 5 - completely. On the Mac and on iOS.

Go back to that fork in the road - the one where you went the wrong way. Go back to v3.3 which works perfectly well (and v4 on iOS), and then, and ONLY then, look to see if there is anything that can be IMPROVED....

Don't REMOVE features that already worked. Don't CHANGE the UI for the sake of change. But just think of what can be added that is (a) not just fluff, and (B) is something really useful, such as List view on the iPad, reverse sort order on the Mac version, etc.

Of course, I don't really expect Team Evernote to do that - it would involve admitting that you got it wrong and that you have wasted a lot of time - yours and everyone else's.

Please don't take this too personally - we really do appreciate you being on here and responding. But pushing on with v5 and just trying to cobble together the fixes is NOT the way to go.

Thanks for the temporary fix but it didn't save a waste of a day trying to get the previous version to work. Obviously your thorough testing is not thorough enough and represents a PR disaster for EN. Reputations are hard won but easily lost – be warned. Version 3 was stable but its appearnce was ugly and too much like Windows. For me l hope you all can get this version to work with all the lost features people are upset about and the stability we demand. For those who want to look there is much to like about the current version.

I have to chime in again, and state what others have already said: long time EN users, who never post to these forums are now starting to hunt here to find solutions to the EN 5 terrible release. And remember, for every person with EN 5 issues that goes to the trouble of registering and posting to this forum, there are thousands reading the forum and not posting; and for each one of those, there are thousands who are having issues and not even reading the forum, or don't know it even exists.

EN Team: No matter how far down the wrong road you have gone - turn back!

about being so faulty on OSX 10.6.8

it's not your fault Apple releasing new OSX on faster lifecycle, problems comes when people like me who spend much time on a working system (because we make our money through it), get behind, and Apple release buggy OSX release for its mass costumer base.

the problem is mass customer base need the small portion who actually make product.

It's Apple who is actually turning away from professionals but we cant move to windows or Linux. that's why we are stuck at 10.6.8

But I think we are about it, as with Leopard and Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion I hope will solve what Lion didn't.

I'm Evernote user since the beginning, first note created early 2008, besides issues with OSX 10.6.8 that makes it crashes all the time, I want to point you on usability.

I finally found out an older version, downloaded and now I'm ready to work again, but meanwhile I found out some pretty replacement.

If you wanna go with this search centric approach, at least take suggestions from projects like Notational Velocity

Sidebar in EN 5 is useless, take it's search centric approach to next level and work on approach like Notational Velocity.

But meanwhile keep the old sidebar before the update, same functions but with a toggle to hide it, for who would take the search approach to its max.

Keep old approach alongside new search-centric approach offering a new way to browse and create notes, like in Notational Velocity.

never posted about EN since 2008 despite being a heavy user, and now I had it on your blog, forum, on twitter, talked about it to friends on skype.

in startupper language,

this is a typical point when you need to pivot.

Yup, I'm one of the users that rarely posts, but I've had enough.

I didn't see this thread a few days ago when everything started going haywire. So thinking it was my system, I completely removed Evernote manually.

Here is the list I compiled, for those attempting to do a full clean. No idea if this is it, all I searched were files named 'evernote'.

Use caution with rm -r -f

rm -r -f /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Application\ Support/Evernote

rm -r -f /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Caches/com.evernote.Evernote

rm -r -f /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Caches/Metadata/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/

rm -r -f /Users/[yourusername]/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/

rm /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Preferencescom.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist

sudo rm -r -f /private/var/folders/Ed/Ed0z1maDF60Y5MXoCSu9nU+++TI/-Tmp-/com.evernote.Evernote

After cleaning my system, removing the Chrome Clipper, stopping the Helper, removing the above files, and of course the main app from my Applications folder, I rebooted,

and reinstalled the software again. I did this whole process twice. In doing so, I also wiped out my local notes.

Now I did a backup of my notes to ENEX format a few days ago, but I forgot that my notes since haven't synced. Duh. Right. This was a syncing problem, of course that's what was gonna happen. I then tried reimporting my ENEX files. But that DOESN'T work. It creates the notebooks, shows a progress bar matching the number of my notes (so I know it's trying), creates my notebooks, imports a *****ton of keywords, but 0 notes.

Ok. So I've got non-working software and a DB export that can't be accessed. I come here, notice all of this, and a private build patch was released. Ok, maybe some chance of getting this fixed. After installing, just as it began 'syncing' it occurred to me that now my data (almost 4,000 notes) on the service may be in jeopardy, as one of these builds is going to think my desktop (with 0 notes) is the latest version and will delete all my notes from the Evernote server, thinking my desktop is the 'latest version'

Out of the realm of possibilities? I think not. I'm not risking my data anymore considering there's a proven lack here of the company knowing What The ***** Is Going On.

I'm going to pore over my ENEX file manually with some parsing scripts (that I now need to dig up or write, which will take me days, maybe weeks?) and I'm done with Evernote.

By the way, I haven't even told you all the issues I've had with clipper over the last couple of years. Missing notes. Broken functionality. Constant automatic updates of the clipper into a non working state. A responsive developer at Evernote was really the only reason I stuck it out this long, but at this point I had enough.

In the latest episode recently my clipper stopped working, yet I had taken no action whatsoever to make it stop working. So logically, it was the auto update feature. When contacting support, I was told numerous time to reinstall Clipper, I did. Didnt work. Then I was told to reinstall Chrome. Chrome? Really? Doubtful that's the issue but ok. Did that, nothing. That cost me hours too, lost preferences, extensions, all needed reinstalling etc. Then I reinstalled the clipper, and methodically TESTED each option, finding the bug. I created a screencast cause their support didn't believe me, and forwarded it to the team, which then got fixed. The best part? The rep told me "just switch to Firefox, Chrome has documented problems". Great answer.

This is the caliber of support, which indicates to me a lack of interest or regard for professional users. am I asking too much? I want a ROCK SOLID way of capturing what I read on the web, that does so QUICKLY, without interrupting my workflow. I want it to save reliably, so in 4 months, when I remember something I need, I can find it near instantly, without saying to myself: I could've sworn I saved this one page, why the ***** can't I find it?

That's IT. I don't give a ***** about your non-working OCR (that I can never disable). or your Related Notes. or Skitch. or your Trunk store. or anything else.

I understand software is complex art. I build and design as well. Particularly now, with so many devices, I don't envy the challenges you face.

But that's par for the course. You have millions in funding. USE it to build reliable systems. Charge $ for your product, and I will pay it. But don't release *****.

Ask yourself - are you building tools we can depend on? or a hobby app?

can you tell I'm upset?

Evernote Team - PLEASE listen to all of this. Give up on V5. I'm back on 3.3 and happy, but now feel I should find something else. I'm one of those who never posts, and here I am - CROSS! I thought it was me being an idiot. Thank goodness I found this forum. :) and what a shame I need it :(

I am pleased to say the quick fix is working without any problems for me. I have just 1900 notes comprising web clippings, photographs, my text notes and all are tagged in detail and l find the search works fine. I am a researcher using Snow Leopard and Firefox 17.01. I find the web clipper and Clearly are working fine. The only problem is when Firefox updates it often disables the Webclipper and Clearly so they have to be manually reinstalled but after that they work fine. As someone specialising in the visual l believe version 5 is a winner but if it returns to be problematic l will like other return to the older version 3 which someone kindly posted links to download which l have already domne so just in case.

Sure this release has been a PR disaster for EN but Notation Velocity, which a previous post mentioned is not for me. Other much larger software companies have made equally or much worse upgrades. Look at Apple Maps or don't if you would prefer not getting lost. It seems to me you can either go back to version 3 or stick with the patch in 5 and give the EN team our support and a bit more time to listen and come up with a new version that is first and foremost stable and incorporates the best suggestions made in the forums.

Just some thoughts from a non techie.

I am one of those who had synchronization problems.

Apparently, I do not know why, there are two versions 5.0.3: release (400668) and (400675).

From several days ago, I'm using the release (400668) and do not have sync problems.

For those who are interested, here is the link to download the version 5.0.3 (400668)

Edit: I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I have upgraded to Evernote 5. Rather, I have tried to upgrade. I can't get it to work locally, have put in tickets, followed the instructions (deleted, restarted computer, reinstalled Evernote -- several times), but still can't get Evernote to work on my Mac. Now it hangs up "Processing" when I start it. I've been a premium user since August 2010 and never had a problem before. I'm very frustrated now and after a week of triyin just want to go back to the old version.

So thanks Night Stalker.

Caliban: try changing tag or notebook titles in the sidebar; try re-aranging tags or notebooks in the sidebar; then try doing either of these things in the "new" tag and notebook windows! You can't even see the full names of the tags!!! How can I re-arange my tags if I can't even read them? I have over 1,500 tags.

Then try and rename a saved search. The list is endless of removed functions and features.

Terrible, terrible.

I was #42 post on this thread. At the same time I posted, I also communicated with Evernote's support. I gave details of my system, Evernote application and issues (which may not be yours, of course.)

They quickly (next day, which was on Sunday) sent clear instructions as to how to uninstall, and reinstall a previous version. Took less than five minutes.

Solved it all for me. I am fully functional once again, as far as I know. Thank you, to Evernote's Support team!

I know this is a mac thread but as i hope someone from Evernote or Apple will read this:

If you have you retarded UI designers (speaking as a designer who has worked on UI) currently working on changing windows version please stop now. Leave windows as it is its working great.

Get all your ressources into fixing the mess you created with MAC 5.0

I have actually switched to windows 7 after being faithful mac user and crusader in Apple VS PC war for 14y. And here is why...

1st Apple decided to stop making 17" notebooks,

2nd not supporting MAC pro ( the new released MAC pro is a joke with inflated cool and revolutionary price tag for 3y old hardware components )

3rd Lion and Snow lion OSes messed with interface too - launch pad i mean really does anyone use that ***** feature. Luckily they decided to leave the drop down menus (for now) - integration with twitter and facebook - wtf for if i want to do that ill glance over to my ipad or phone. I use computer for work trying to be productive not to get constant interruptions - email is disruptive enough.

4th all that has affected the speed of the machine - i have adobe CS6, Modo and Cinema 4D running on new iMac 27" on Lion

at same speed as on my 6y old MAc Pro 1.1 on Snow Leopard with hacked in 2GB PC Nvidia Graphics card. And apple is not even supporting that model and not telling you you can put non apple more powerful hardware into it.

And now This 5.0 Evernote.

If this trend continues we may as well go back to pen and paper for the productivity sake.

And BTW - you will always find Clearly working fine as it's got nothing to do with EN - it's written in Japan :-)

Actually, Clearly has had some bugs hanging around for quite some time. Mostly where formatting is concerned. No showstoppers...just quirks.

What do you people think of the Microsoft OneNote 2010 UI? I think it makes sense and is beautifully organised :). I can see myself being more productive using OneNote than compared with Evernote. My Evernote, while it has grown, has become a tag soup which, while organised to some extent, is difficult to navigate around. I suspect the new UI will destroy all productivity if it ever comes to the Windows platform.

What do you people think of the Microsoft OneNote 2010 UI? I think it makes sense and is beautifully organised :). I can see myself being more productive using OneNote than compared with Evernote. My Evernote, while it has grown, has become a tag soup which, while organised to some extent, is difficult to navigate around. I suspect the new UI will destroy all productivity if it ever comes to the Windows platform.

It looks okay for smaller accounts but for those of us who are archiving reference libraries with "notes" numbering into the thousands, I don't think it would be quite up for the job.

Use what works for you.

I haven't seen this issue stated in here. Running EN 5.0.5; OS X 10.8.2; 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4GB of DDR3; 256GB SSD

Evernote is basically unusable for me on the Mac. I try to create a new note and get a couple of words in and get the beach ball of death for about 10-15 seconds then I'm freed up to start typing again, but the process just repeats. I only seem to have this problem on the Mac. I don't have the issue with the iOS app or on the Windows version.

I have deleted and reinstalled (App Store), but nothing has changed. It takes forever to sync with the web notes (about 1000 notes) and then I still have the beach ball issue.

Archived