Are programs in Evernote AutoUpdate folder for fallback?

ever111

In the Evernote folder, I see various exe files titled "Evernote Installation Package".

Are these the actual install packages I have allowed to install onto my system, or what?

And if so, are they just the GA since I only see one 4.5.9 and 4.5.10, though I was a beta tester of multiple 4.5.9's for sure.

So can these be installed over say my 4.5.10 to go back to my 4.5.9.7390 for instance?

If so, would it be an ok install over 4.5.10 to downgrade.

I see a curentreleasenotes.htm that lists a lot of release notes up to 4.5.10.7472, that I am running, but the install package I see for 4.5.9.7390, which I did install prior to 4.5.10 is not listed in those notes. What were the release notes for 4.5.9.7390?

Please don't reply unless you know for sure what these are, and/or are there for. Thanks!

I have kept a note of release notes copied into EN for a while now, not really sure why, but it seems it was a good idea...Since it appears to change and some iterations are not there.

4.5.3.5953 Release notes show all 4.5.3 versions are beta/RC

4.5.4.6170 Assuming beta, since not numbered in Release Notes, but in between versions that fit.

4.5.5.6572 Beta

4.5.6.6884 Unsure, assuming GA, since not specified.

4.5.8.7220 Beta

4.5.9.7390 Beta

4.5.10.7472 GA

In short, I have no idea how that folder works or what it is for since the versions in there are not concurrent.

Well, that's the whole point of my question. These seem to be the releases I previously auto-installed, thank goodness!

It looks like these could be used by people to downgrade after falling into the pit with a new release?

Maybe some install planner had the sense to save copies so we could fall back. Looks like it. An archive?

I see quite a few people downloading previous releases from various non-Evernote websites, which is surely not safe.

Maybe they could use this facility that seems to be in place, instead of taking a big risk.

Any idea who would know?

• Level 5

AutoUpdate folder contains Evernote installer executables downloaded when you agreed to download and install an updated version of Evernote when prompted by AutoUpdate mechanism.

Generally, it's pretty safe to install the previous version of Evernote Windows client. However, client's database structure has been extended between 4.5 and 4.6 and if you downgrade from 4.6, any operation that involves deleting items from the database will fail. So if you have to downgrade from 4.6 you'll also have to wipe out and resync your entire database.

/Peter

So, what if somebody downgrades to 4.5.10(7472) or 4.5.9(7390), would that be a problem? (answer thgis first, please, for everybody's protection).

Actually I would like to go back before the "fanned card deck" that is totally useless when selecting merge material, and it prevents any verification of what is being merged as each item is clicked, like we used to have.

Any idea where that change went in, and whether I could downgrade before that?

I used to be able to sort of verify the notes as I added them to the merge stack, but that was taken away at some point.

And "Shared Notebooks you automatically removed when you no longer have permission to access" was a bummer - I can't know what somebody took away. Memory loss, and no way to find out why, because it's gone completely, maybe bymistake!!

So, by the way, are users still down below 4.5.9 still ok since they did not upgrade?

By the way, I was thinking that I saw people downgrading from 4.6 to some 4.5 level, so we need to know if they are messed up, or what, hence some of the questions. Thanks!

By the way, I saw no warning that if we installed a certain level that we could not go back. Shouldn't something like that be told to beta people, if not included in the release notes, for everybody?

Actually I would like to go back before the "fanned card deck" that is totally useless when selecting merge material, and it prevents any verification of what is being merged as each item is clicked, like we used to have.

I used to be able to sort of verify the notes as I added them to the merge stack, but that was taken away at some point.

By the way, you can just turn it off using the registry setting, rather than reverting to some old 4.5.5 build which probably has other bugs and less new stuff...

And "Shared Notebooks you automatically removed when you no longer have permission to access" was a bummer - I can't know what somebody took away. Memory loss, and no way to find out why, because it's gone completely, maybe bymistake!!

If I remember correctly, if the notebook was not shared with you anymore, it could cause sync failures. This change fixed that.

kvitekp,

Just saw somebody else downgrade from 4.6 to 4.5, and you mentioned that it might cause some problem(s).

Do you know what exact level the database change was made so we can figure out if these people are screwed, or what?

And if they upgrade to a certain level after the downgrade will it correct them without damage?

And, I've seen a huge number of the Mac people downgrade from 5, so I don't guess they have this database change situation?

Thanks!

By the way, you can just turn it off using the registry setting, rather than reverting to some old 4.5.5 build which probably has other bugs and less new stuff...

If I remember correctly, if the notebook was not shared with you anymore, it could cause sync failures. This change fixed that.

I don't like the "fanned card deck" for merging either. How do you turn it off in the registry?

Thanks

• Level 5*
I don't like the "fanned card deck" for merging either. How do you turn it off in the registry?

Setting is the DWORD value at HKCU\Software\Evernote\EvernoteShowMultiSelectView. 1 for "fanned card deck" enabled, 0 to disable. Or just use SPG scott's EnRegEdit tool.

Setting is the DWORD value at HKCU\Software\Evernote\EvernoteShowMultiSelectView. 1 for "fanned card deck" enabled, 0 to disable. Or just use SPG scott's EnRegEdit tool.

You must also ensure that you quit Evernote before changing the registry though, via File -> Exit otherwise changes that you make may not stick. :)

• 11 months later...

A related question: is it OK to DELETE these files? I'm currently running EN 5.0.3.1614, yet my AutoUpdate folder contains both Evernote_4.6.6.8360.exe and Evernote_5.0.2.1392.exe. I have no need to fallback, but I do need more disk space! Can I just delete those files?

• Level 5*

A related question: is it OK to DELETE these files? I'm currently running EN 5.0.3.1614, yet my AutoUpdate folder contains both Evernote_4.6.6.8360.exe and Evernote_5.0.2.1392.exe. I have no need to fallback, but I do need more disk space! Can I just delete those files?

Yes.

Archived