(Archived) It's not clear what the advantages are over Premium

oxjox

There are also more details here: http://evernote.com/business/

My attempt to summarize the key things:

- Business notebooks where the data ownership & continuity remains with the company.

- Streamlined sharing with colleagues

- Increased quota 2GB on your personal 2GB per Business user in aggregate.

- Knowledge discovery across the company, via related notes & related results.

Thanks for the summary jbignert. I obviously read the blog post and watched the video but it still wasn't very clear what features or benefits I'd receive over my existing account. There really needs to be a comparison chart. I should have also mentioned, or I should say I forgot to mention, that I'm on a Group account. Does Business now replace Groups? Would we ditch Groups at $3.75/account and move to Business for $10/account?

- Business notebooks where the data ownership & continuity remains with the company.

We achieve this by having one assigned user create a new notebook then manually share to the team. So, this now means anyone in the team can create a notebook and it’s instantly shared without having to “share” the folder? This is great but something I expect should be a standard Evernote function.

- Streamlined sharing with colleagues

“Sharing” meaning what I described above? So your new notebooks are instantly available across the team without the “sharing” process? This is also something of an annoyance that should just be standardized or something that’s a selectable function. As in, yes, I automatically accept all shared notebooks from people in my team or something. IMO, this isn't a premium feature, this is a repair for something that has always been broken.

- Increased quota 2GB on your personal 2GB per Business user in aggregate.

ok

- Knowledge discovery across the company, via related notes & related results.

Seems to be an upgraded “feature” that should be available to all Evernote users. Still, a pretty cool tool.

• Level 5*

oxjox, on your comment about streamlined sharing, remember, you are a person, not a company, so having streamlined sharing with team members makes little sense. It does make sense in the business environment though.

Same on your 1st and 4th points. knowledge discovery and instant sharing across the company makes sense if you are a company. A "Premium User" account isn't designed for the company though, it is for individuals.

A few clarifications

Business Notebooks are not shared by default, to have your notes viewable by someone else always requires an action from the user.

The continuity comes in when employees leave a company but their Business Notebooks remains with the company account and can be 're-assigned' to other employees. I.e you have a Project notebook that can be assigned to someone else if projects change hands.

The Business Library is the main vehicle for a more productive knowledge discovery via related notes & results. Since all data in the library is implicitly accessible by all employees but you probably do not wish to have everything added & synced to your own Evernote client this can be very powerful.

You are welcome to stay as a group off course.

• Level 5

@BnF That would be a Freudian sliT :-)

Serious question: How does this relate to the e.g. Security needs of enterprises? While today the rhetoric is "we're not aiming at e.g. MY employer or the banks" I think over time that will have to evolve.

This is the Achilles Heel of cloud services in general. For example, we're not allowed to use them for HAL :-) Confidential or customer confidential data. So their utility is somewhat limited.

• Level 5*

It's pretty clear that Evernote for Business is not aimed at Financial or Enterprises - it's aimed at at small businesses with a couple of hundred employees. That may change over time, but I see little value (and it seems they think the same) in building in features required by these much larger organisations. In my experience the very large enterprise and financial organisations will not tolerate the use of cloud services and Evernote have said a number of times they are not planning on building an Appliance model.

The market for SME is a pretty large one for them to go after before they need to worry about the massive and the product has some way to go before I believe it becomes ready for the more sophisticated end of that SME space.

• Level 5

Earlier this year, Evernote's CEO, Phil Libin, said the following:

(key point is in the 3rd paragraph)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

Until now, Evernote mainly targeted individuals and schools, but that is going to change. "We are launching an official business program," Libin said, adding that about 85 percent of all Evernote users use the tool at work and 75 percent us it both at work and at home. Enterprise use of Evernote is through end users instead of official channels, Libin said. The end user experience for Evernote for business "is going to be exactly the same," he said.

The difference is that Evernote will offer administrator controls. Businesses can purchase group accounts, control security and data ownership settings and control transfer rights, according to Libin. The goal is to adopt the tool for corporate IT systems, although a white label version is out of the question. "Absolutely not, we'll never do it," Libin said, adding that he thinks that offering a white label version is too much of a distraction. Companies will not be able to run an Evernote server behind the corporate firewall. Libin called it a "slippery slope" saying that he refuses to be a consultant that constantly adjusts its product for the customer.

"I think companies that are not comfortable using the cloud aren't going to be Evernote customers," Libin said. While he estimated that may eliminate 50 percent of potential corporate business, he expects that more companies are going to get comfortable using cloud products in the future. Libin isn't expecting to sell to financial institutions since, he said, that is the industry least likely to purchase cloud products at the moment. However, the creative industry is already using a lot of cloud products, he added. "I think the opportunity is huge," Libin said.

Source: Computerworld

http://www.computerw...ol_for_business

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

• Level 5

@jbenson2 I'm aware of that stance. Never is a very long time :-) but I'm not making any plans on them changing their mind. As I've said elsewhere Cloud will have to shake out somewhat and Evernote will find themselves needing to be a part of that.

• Level 5

@jbenson2 I'm aware of that stance. Never is a very long time :-) but I'm not making any plans on them changing their mind. As I've said elsewhere Cloud will have to shake out somewhat and Evernote will find themselves needing to be a part of that.

It would be nice to hear a formal in-depth response from Evernote on your concerns.

I'll try to give a non-exhaustive summary of what I find super useful in Evernote business

Adding people into your business account is much easier. You can auto approve anyone on your work domain, which makes adding folks much easier. For example you could add everyone from @dlus-awesome-business.com. And like as groups, you also have one account to pay for everyone, rather than having individual expense their premium accounts.

Here's an unmodified copy/paste I sent to my team earlier (We're using Evernote Business internally).

fyi, if anyone hasn't joined evernote business yet, please do so!

1. just go to evernote.com/business

2. Put in an email address that ends in evernote.com

3. Magic

Business-level Support

Business-level support is the good stuff. I love our support team more than the bottle of whiskey I've hidden in a bottom drawer at work. But business-level support is closer to the 18 year old single malt I got for Christmas last year. They're very responsive and companies with 10 or more users can schedule a phone call to help with issues. I'm oddly excited about this

Knowledge Sharing

The business library is a great way to share across your company. You can also have a set of recommended notebooks up top. This is useful for things like an HR notebook or an onboarding notebook that pretty much everyone is going to need. As we've grown bigger, I've noticed that I found myself sending to a larger and larger set of people. Things like screenshots now go into a notebook. Oh, you too want to see pretty pictures of the latest Windows client? There's a notebook for that. They can join on their own and I don't need to email them anything with the sentence "and please forward to whoever else might need this." This notebook by default is set to "view only" so someone doesn't accidentally delete anything or add in a screenshot that includes a copyrighted image or sensitive information. I've manually invited one or two other people with read/write privileges.

Business Notebooks

So not all of my business notebooks end up in the library. Currently, only a few of my notebooks end up there. I have a few notebooks that only I use. I have a handful where I've invited my team. I've used a "centralized user" to create all team notebooks before and it is much nicer to be able to create and invite people without having to switch to another account. Same thing for sharing a note to Twitter or grab the Note URL to paste into an email. Business notebooks are also visually distinctive in the UI.

Business Quota

Notes created in business notebooks count against the business's quota instead of my own, so I don't use up all of my own quota just because I had an all night Skitch session. Plus, my own quota is bumped up from 1gb to 2gb though I haven't had an issue with quota unless I'm doing both a lot of personal and business skitching/scanning/photogrpahy in the same month.

The business quota is a giant shared pool. I like that it's flexible. We know that some companies one or two people are in charge of scanning documents that end up needing most of the upload quota.

I hope this helps clarify a bit. There's a lot more little things but that's what I can think of at the moment.

• Level 5*

I'll try to give a non-exhaustive summary of what I find super useful in Evernote business

Business-level Support

Business-level support is the good stuff. I love our support team more than the bottle of whiskey I've hidden in a bottom drawer at work. But business-level support is closer to the 18 year old single malt I got for Christmas last year. They're very responsive and companies with 10 or more users can schedule a phone call to help with issues. I'm oddly excited about this

Surely, you don't mean you are excited because you can call customer support, right? If you've got to schedule a phone call with customer support, which sits a few feet away from you, then you've got a deeply disfunctional relationship going on, and you guys have to work that stuff out instead of relying on a new tech service to communicate. Wait a second. Why is an engineer calling tech support in the first place!? :)

Seriously, though, thanks for spelling all this out here. Would you recommend someone setting up a business account for their employees use their personal account or create a new one? How did you do it for your team? If your own account, did the notes in the business notebooks count towards the business account upload? If you move the notes to your personal notebooks does it count against your personal account?

• Level 5

I hope this helps clarify a bit. There's a lot more little things but that's what I can think of at the moment.

Thank you - that's helps a lot.

Copied to my Evernote for future reference.

Business-level Support

;) We love you too, Daniel :)

Seriously, though, thanks for spelling all this out here. Would you recommend someone setting up a business account for their employees use their personal account or create a new one? How did you do it for your team? If your own account, did the notes in the business notebooks count towards the business account upload? If you move the notes to your personal notebooks does it count against your personal account?

We've set it up so you don't need to have a "separate business account." We tried the separate account thing and decided it wasn't a great experience. Our goal is to have Evernote Business become an extension of your account, rather than this separate thing you have to switch into and manage. If you leave the business, all of your personal stuff stays, but the business notebooks go away.

• Level 5*

We've set it up so you don't need to have a "separate business account." We tried the separate account thing and decided it wasn't a great experience. Our goal is to have Evernote Business become an extension of your account, rather than this separate thing you have to switch into and manage. If you leave the business, all of your personal stuff stays, but the business notebooks go away.

That makes sense. The only part that confuses me is the last one. Let's say I have account "grumpymonkey" and upgrade (?) from Premium to Business. Now, I can do all sorts of businessy things, share library notebooks with colleagues, etc. But, if I downgrade to Premium, how does my "personal stuff stay" and my "business notebooks" go away? Do I lose the Library, and if so, where does it go?

The notebooks that are in the "Business" account stay with the "Business", and the ones that are in your "Personal" account stay with you. When you leave the business, you lose access to the Business portion. If you shared some of your personal items with your Business, and you want access to them after you leave, you need to make sure you have a copy of them in your personal account first :)

• Level 5*

The notebooks that are in the "Business" account stay with the "Business", and the ones that are in your "Personal" account stay with you. When you leave the business, you lose access to the Business portion. If you shared some of your personal items with your Business, and you want access to them after you leave, you need to make sure you have a copy of them in your personal account first :)

Sorry for being so dense, but if I upgrade to a Business account with my personal one as a small business owner, then "I" am the business, right? So, would I lose access to the Business stuff if I downgrade to Premium, and if so, what happens to things like the Library? I mean, since it is still part of my account, isn't it personal as well?

• Level 5*

You need to create business notebooks. When you start a Business, it's a blank slate. Your personal stuff stays personal.

OK. I think we have probably reached the limits of what I can understand without actually doing it, because I am still confused! If I go from Premium to free with my current "personal" account, I don't lose any data, but if I go from Business to Premium or free with my current "personal" account, it sounds like I lose everything in the business notebooks. I assume there is some kind of warning about this happening. Again, I am just using my imagination here. Perhaps I need to stretch my brain a bit before trying to wrap my head around this :)

Thanks for your patience.

Business Notebooks and Personal Notebooks are kept in a separate section of your account (visible on the same page). They're neatly organized so you can always see what's part of the Business, and what's your own.

When you create/Join a Business, the Business section appears - and it's empty, because you haven't added anything to it yet.

When you leave the business, the Business section goes away.

Other members of the business still have that section, and the stuff within, though.

That's it.

I actually agree that it doesnt make sense. I am one person who has a personal account but have registered for the business account. I am still one person. I like to keep things separate for clarity - personal stuff is separate for business. I find the distinction useful and dont mind paying the extra fee to get the extra functionality. I actually spent lots of time tranferring my business files from my personal section to the new business section precisely for this purpose - to keep them separate. But its very dispiriting to find out that if I choose to opt out of the business account - all my files that were there are deleted. That doesnt make sense. As the person before me said - when you downgrade from personal premium to normal access - you dont lose any data. I am sure there are other people who will register for business access even though they are not actually a business. If you choose to opt out of the business account - your data should stay in your evernote account.

• Level 5*

I actually agree that it doesnt make sense. I am one person who has a personal account but have registered for the business account. I am still one person. I like to keep things separate for clarity - personal stuff is separate for business. I find the distinction useful and dont mind paying the extra fee to get the extra functionality. I actually spent lots of time tranferring my business files from my personal section to the new business section precisely for this purpose - to keep them separate. But its very dispiriting to find out that if I choose to opt out of the business account - all my files that were there are deleted. That doesnt make sense. As the person before me said - when you downgrade from personal premium to normal access - you dont lose any data. I am sure there are other people who will register for business access even though they are not actually a business. If you choose to opt out of the business account - your data should stay in your evernote account.

I am not sure I understand everything yet, so they may not be deleted. I've seen screenshots of the UI, so I know what I will see when I am a Business user, but I don't know what happens when I go from Business to Premium or Free.

The Business section goes away, but I just don't know where. On vacation in Evernote servers, on the lam like Mr. McAfey, in the Trash, suspended animation like Master Chief, or folded into my account? I am sure whatever happens will make sense. I'd be surprised if the answer is the Trash!

• Level 5*

GM, you are talking about shutting a business down. If you have 20 people on the business account and Joe leaves, Joe loses access to the business notebooks,but the other 19 retain it. You should never have a business account with one user, that makes no sense.

If you do shut down your business, or decide you no longer want to use EnB, then you need to copy/export all of your business data out and bring it into a personal account, then drop the business subscription.

• Level 5*

It does make sense to join if you are 1 person if you want the extra functionality. It doesnt make sense to lose all your data though if you unsubscribe from business access. That's just wrong!

What extra functionality, beside more storage? I cannot see most people needing 2GB/mo, but even if you do, you'll keep it in personal folders (no point in business notebooks if there is no one to share with) so dropping business still does nothing to it.

Is there other functionality that business provides that would be beneficial to a one person company?

• Level 5*

It does make sense to join if you are 1 person if you want the extra functionality. It doesnt make sense to lose all your data though if you unsubscribe from business access. That's just wrong!

What extra functionality, beside more storage? I cannot see most people needing 2GB/mo, but even if you do, you'll keep it in personal folders (no point in business notebooks if there is no one to share with) so dropping business still does nothing to it.

Is there other functionality that business provides that would be beneficial to a one person company?

So, I think there are two issues: entry and exit. One, why would an individual with a personal account upgrade to Business?

I was self-employed for several years as a freelance translator and often collaborated with major corporations and other translators. I could have certainly used this service then (not so long ago). The Evernote Blog has so many case studies I don't even know where to start. Our Fitness Ambassador is a one-man business (I think) with lots of clients. He could benefit from it. I am a teacher -- I collaborate with colleagues all over the world, and I have a lot of students as well. I could certainly benefit from it, especially the upload amounts and the Library. My guess (I don't have the numbers) is that there are a lot of self-employed business people / individuals who could benefit.

My question, though, was about the exit strategy.

Whether you are large or small, you might decide someday to stop using Evernote Business. What happens to your data? What if you don't evacuate those Business folders? Does it all get deleted? I will probably never experience it, because once I upgrade, I probably won't downgrade, but I would like to know what the parameters are.

Hope this might clear something up:

Premium Status

When you join Evernote Business, you are issued a coupon code for the amount of premium time you have remaining, if any. You can hold on to it, or you can give it to a friend. If you decide to cancel your Evernote Business account, or if you leave Evernote Business for whatever reason, you are downgraded to a free account.

Your Data:

When you join, everything is in your personal notebooks, and there is no feature to convert whole notebooks into business notebooks (This is for a number of reasons. I can expand on that if anyone wants). You would create a new business notebook, and then select the note or notes that you want to move, and using the move dialogue, you would move them over to a business notebook. This means that these notes now belong to the business. If you decide to cancel your account at some point in the future, you will need to do the reverse of this process. Using the move dialogue, you would move those notes to a new, or existing personal notebook. There is no automated feature that will move all business notes into your personal account.

Reasons for an individual to upgrade to Evernote Business:

1) Increased upload quota. Evernote Business Premium users get two personal gigs, plus two gigs per person for the whole business in a 'family-plan' style sharing set up. So if you are a heavy user, you would get 4 gigs of space for $10 a month. 4 gigs a month on a regular premium account will cost you $20 per month.

2) Customer Success Advocates (that's me!) and Premium Support - If you, as a Evernote Business Premium user have an issue, you go immediately to the top of the queue. Businesses with 10+ users can also request a callback and we will try to get a hold of you on the phone.

3) Ability to pay via Invoice - You can pay for a whole year via invoice. May seem like not a big deal, but for certain users this is really handy.

• Level 5*

Hope this might clear something up:

Premium Status

When you join Evernote Business, you are issued a coupon code for the amount of premium time you have remaining, if any. You can hold on to it, or you can give it to a friend. If you decide to cancel your Evernote Business account, or if you leave Evernote Business for whatever reason, you are downgraded to a free account.

Your Data:

When you join, everything is in your personal notebooks, and there is no feature to convert whole notebooks into business notebooks (This is for a number of reasons. I can expand on that if anyone wants). You would create a new business notebook, and then select the note or notes that you want to move, and using the move dialogue, you would move them over to a business notebook. This means that these notes now belong to the business. If you decide to cancel your account at some point in the future, you will need to do the reverse of this process. Using the move dialogue, you would move those notes to a new, or existing personal notebook. There is no automated feature that will move all business notes into your personal account.

Reasons for an individual to upgrade to Evernote Business:

1) Increased upload quota. Evernote Business Premium users get two personal gigs, plus two gigs per person for the whole business in a 'family-plan' style sharing set up. So if you are a heavy user, you would get 4 gigs of space for $10 a month. 4 gigs a month on a regular premium account will cost you $20 per month.

2) Customer Success Advocates (that's me!) and Premium Support - If you, as a Evernote Business Premium user have an issue, you go immediately to the top of the queue. Businesses with 10+ users can also request a callback and we will try to get a hold of you on the phone.

3) Ability to pay via Invoice - You can pay for a whole year via invoice. May seem like not a big deal, but for certain users this is really handy.

A perfect answer. Thank you :)

Premium Status

When you join Evernote Business, you are issued a coupon code for the amount of premium time you have remaining, if any. You can hold on to it, or you can give it to a friend...

And if you're really clever, you'll keep that coupon in Evernote. So you know, you'll be able to find it later on :)

• Level 5*

Premium Status

When you join Evernote Business, you are issued a coupon code for the amount of premium time you have remaining, if any. You can hold on to it, or you can give it to a friend...

And if you're really clever, you'll keep that coupon in Evernote. So you know, you'll be able to find it later on :)

I usually print that kind of thing off and tape it to my monitor.

• 3 months later...

Of course, if you have a group (aka my family of four), and want to create a group account today, you are out of luck!

According to an email from Geo in Evernote Support, "Unfortunately, our sponsored groups feature is no longer available. The feature has been replaced by our new service, Evernote Business..."

Then he links to the business site that has nothing to do with the needs of my family. How can you replace a $3.75 per user non-profit/group/club/fellowship/family/posse/grassroots/team-focused service with a $10 per user for-profit/corporate-focused service?

I've been working towards opening a group account since I learned about them in November of 2012. Now that I'm ready and attempted it, Evernote says I am out of luck. So this month might just be the only $5 Evernote will ever earn from me... unless they BRING SPONSORED GROUPS BACK!

At least let me pay for my wife's and minor children's accounts together. And for heaven's sake, even business accounts should have some sort of volume licensing, or be tiered according to data usage.

Hi Stativarius,

Why don't you have a premium account and the rest of your family have free accounts?

Depends what you want to do, but it may give you what you want.

Best regards

Chris

Of course, if you have a group (aka my family of four), and want to create a group account today, you are out of luck!

According to an email from Geo in Evernote Support, "Unfortunately, our sponsored groups feature is no longer available. The feature has been replaced by our new service, Evernote Business..."

Then he links to the business site that has nothing to do with the needs of my family. How can you replace a $3.75 per user non-profit/group/club/fellowship/family/posse/grassroots/team-focused service with a $10 per user for-profit/corporate-focused service?

I've been working towards opening a group account since I learned about them in November of 2012. Now that I'm ready and attempted it, Evernote says I am out of luck. So this month might just be the only $5 Evernote will ever earn from me... unless they BRING SPONSORED GROUPS BACK!

At least let me pay for my wife's and minor children's accounts together. And for heaven's sake, even business accounts should have some sort of volume licensing, or be tiered according to data usage.

I answered this in the thread you started here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36511-why-did-evernote-kill-sponsored-groups/?p=197753

For four people, the sponsored account was $5/month per account. 5-99 accounts were $3.75/month per account. Premium accounts are $5/month or $45/year which is $3.75/month.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stativarius,

Why don't you have a premium account and the rest of your family have free accounts?

Depends what you want to do, but it may give you what you want.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for the reply!

It's the limitations on the free accounts, restricted offline notes & a ridiculously small data allowance, that make them fall short.

• 2 months later...

A few clarifications

Business Notebooks are not shared by default, to have your notes viewable by someone else always requires an action from the user.

The continuity comes in when employees leave a company but their Business Notebooks remains with the company account and can be 're-assigned' to other employees. I.e you have a Project notebook that can be assigned to someone else if projects change hands.

The Business Library is the main vehicle for a more productive knowledge discovery via related notes & results. Since all data in the library is implicitly accessible by all employees but you probably do not wish to have everything added & synced to your own Evernote client this can be very powerful.

So if you are just sharing user to user - ie me and my assistant to have her edit my schedule note daily and future, there is no benefit vs just having "joined" notebooks in Premium or Free??

• Level 5*

A few clarifications

So if you are just sharing user to user - ie me and my assistant to have her edit my schedule note daily and future, there is no benefit vs just having "joined" notebooks in Premium or Free??

If she is going to edit your notes, you must have Premium or Business. You can share a notebook in the Free version, but it is read-only to those shared with. Premium would be sufficient. Business is too much for just what you describe.

Now, she only has to have free to edit. You both don't need premium, just the sharer does.

A few clarifications

If she is going to edit your notes, you must have Premium or Business. You can share a notebook in the Free version, but it is read-only to those shared with. Premium would be sufficient. Business is too much for just what you describe.

Now, she only has to have free to edit. You both don't need premium, just the sharer does.

I have Business or Premium if I downgrade.  I've already detected she can edit, but she can't create a new notebook in the joined notebook.  If she had premium could she do that?

• Level 5*

I have Business or Premium if I downgrade.  I've already detected she can edit, but she can't create a new notebook in the joined notebook.  If she had premium could she do that?

Premium or business, no one can create new notebooks in your account. (You can allow 3rd party apps to do that, but that is a different issue.) If premium, she could create a new notebook in her account and share with you that you can edit.

If business, she just creates a new notebook and either shares with you or publishes to the directory. If you need this kind of bi-directional collaboration, this is what business is good for.

If you grant her read/write and you are business and you downgrade, I think she gets switched to read only.

If business and you downgrade, I'd be sure to move everything to personal notebooks first. I am not 100% sure how that would work and you need to contact EnB support on that to ensure you don't lose any data.

Premium or business, no one can create new notebooks in your account. (You can allow 3rd party apps to do that, but that is a different issue.) If premium, she could create a new notebook in her account and share with you that you can edit.

If business, she just creates a new notebook and either shares with you or publishes to the directory. If you need this kind of bi-directional collaboration, this is what business is good for.

If you grant her read/write and you are business and you downgrade, I think she gets switched to read only.

If business and you downgrade, I'd be sure to move everything to personal notebooks first. I am not 100% sure how that would work and you need to contact EnB support on that to ensure you don't lose any data.

Thanks.  The ones I've created now, I just created in the Regular notebooks, not the business notebooks.

• Level 5*

You should be good to go then juniorgolf18. For a small office, a few Premium accounts might be the best with maximum flexibility, or one Premium account if you want to host all info and manage all notebooks.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing that makes EnB better - anyone can create tags in any notebook. We were using the Premium-shared model in 2012 before EnB launched, and the host of the notebook had to create all tags in a notebook before anyone could tag them. Since we tag with customer names for larger accounts, that was a pain as we got started. Once most were in there it wasn't an issue.

Just one thing to consider. Other than that, Premium sounds the best for your situation based on what you've shared.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived