Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

Mac 5.0.2 and a personal note

evernote

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello Evernote Mac world!

I wanted to personally thank you all for the incredible feedback we've received about the new v5 Evernote client for Mac. This release comes less than 3 weeks (who needed Thanksgiving anyway?) after our initial v5 launch and I hope it shows you, our users, that we care and are listening. Aside from re-implementing back/forward navigation, bringing back note counts in a much more beautiful way, and fixing a TON of bugs along the way (you can celebrate now), we are announcing an incredible new feature: Related Notes.

Please let us know what you think of the new Related Notes in Evernote Mac. We can't respond to every thread and we can't implement every feature request, but I assure you, we read every one of your posts. We are Evernote users just like you and we care about it just as much as you do. Keep posting, and we'll keep building.

Thanks again,

Jack(olicious)
Product Manager for Evernote Mac

Evernote Mac 5.0.2 Release Notes

New Features
New Premium feature: Related Notes in the note editor
Navigation buttons (back/forward) are back
Drag-and-drop Notes onto Notebooks and Tags in the Sidebar
Added an option to show Note counts in the Sidebar
Added a Trash button to the Note Editor

Other Improvements
Nested tags stay visible
Fixed Atlas for Portuguese users
Fixed Local Notebook creation
Fixed "notebook:" and "tag:" searching
Better high-DPI image handling in the Note Editor
Reduced CPU/memory usage
Various bug and localization fixes

This is available here and in the Mac App Store as soon as it is approved.

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 davidfoster

davidfoster

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi. I had 5.0.1 and just downloaded the 5.0.2. Evernote is unrecoverable. I launch it, no window appears, and hold-clicking the dock icon reports the app is not responding/force quit. Tried deleting and re-installing twice. Restarted, no difference. Help.

#3 yikeouch

yikeouch

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi. I had 5.0.1 and just downloaded the 5.0.2. Evernote is unrecoverable. I launch it, no window appears, and hold-clicking the dock icon reports the app is not responding/force quit. Tried deleting and re-installing twice. Restarted, no difference. Help.

You can follow GrumpyMonkey's guide to delete your old Evernote and reinstall.

#4 starkos

starkos

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Many thanks for these quick updates. I definitely notice the improvements, and have upgraded to 5.0 full time now.

Still getting used to the related notes, my brain isn't used to seeing information there, but I think it will be quite handy (and not bad for a minor point update!)

Unfortunately, the back/forward navigation does not work on the individual note windows, which the only place I really need it. The keyboard shortcuts don't work there either.

#5 yikeouch

yikeouch

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Unfortunately, the back/forward navigation does not work on the individual note windows, which the only place I really need it. The keyboard shortcuts don't work there either.

Please add back/forward back on individual note windows.
I use them more on individual windows then main windows, and there must be some people like me.

#6 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I wanted to personally thank you all for the incredible feedback we've received about the new v5 Evernote client for Mac. This release comes less than 3 weeks (who needed Thanksgiving anyway?) after our initial v5 launch and I hope it shows you, our users, that we care and are listening.

Jack, thanks for the efforts of yourself and the entire Evernote dev team. We appreciate the extra effort.
However, unless it's a major emergency, I don't expect you to give up major holidays like Thanksgiving.

Aside from re-implementing back/forward navigation, bringing back note counts in a much more beautiful way, and fixing a TON of bugs along the way (you can celebrate now), we are announcing an incredible new feature: Related Notes.

Please let us know what you think of the new Related Notes in Evernote Mac.

I'm glad you specifically asked for comments on the new Related Notes feature.
It seems cool, and although I don't see that much use for it now, maybe the more I use it the more I will value it.
BUT, really, it is NOT something that I urgently need.
It certainly is not anywhere close to as important or useful as a Vertical List view, which has been requested for YEARS by a multitude of users.

I really don't understand why you guys continue to come up nice, but not that useful, features and UI when there is such a long list of feature requests by many, many users. I'm talking about features that have many, many requests.

We can't respond to every thread and we can't implement every feature request, but I assure you, we read every one of your posts. We are Evernote users just like you and we care about it just as much as you do. Keep posting, and we'll keep building.

To be honest, you guys keep saying that you are listening to our requests, but, overall, your actions don't support the assertion.
Yes, you responded to some of the shock that you cause by removing features from EN Mac v3.
BUT, why did you do it in the first place? For the longest time we have been asking for parity of the EN Mac client with EN Win, and some other very useful features.

Instead, you guys responded with cutting features instead of adding features to bring EN Mac up to the feature set of EN Win.

So, you created a lot of your own problems.

Evernote Mac 5.0.2 Release Notes

Here is my rating of changes to ver 5.0.2:

New Features
New Premium feature: Related Notes in the note editor -- OK ★★, but LOW priority, LOW use
Navigation buttons (back/forward) are back -- LIKE ★★★★
Drag-and-drop Notes onto Notebooks and Tags in the Sidebar -- OK ★★
Added an option to show Note counts in the Sidebar -- OK ★★, but need TOTAL count in Title Bar
Added a Trash button to the Note Editor -- LIKE ★★★★

Other Improvements
Nested tags stay visible -- BAD, shown but NOT really visible (see screen shot below)
--- 5 STARS for ALL Bug Fixes ---

Fixed Atlas for Portuguese users --
Fixed Local Notebook creation --
Fixed "notebook:" and "tag:" searching
Better high-DPI image handling in the Note Editor
Reduced CPU/memory usage
Various bug and localization fixes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My biggest, on-going complaint is that you guys seem to value "cool, trendy, beautiful" looks OVER readabilty.

Take your new Tags screen for example. Really? I can't read it because of the very low contrast between text color and background color. Why can't you guys just use black text over white background in general. It's OK to use occasionally use some other color combination as long as it results on HIGH CONTRAST TEXT.

Please take pity on users over 21 and/or have less than perfect eyesight, or who use small, dimly lit laptops/tables, and provide us with high contrast text.

Here's a screen shot of the Tags Screen:

Posted Image

#7 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Jack. Good job on the quick revisions, and thanks for making so many nice improvements. You are a little slow in posting this (I think people took your advice literally, and have been hitting the "check for updates" button every few minutes for a couple of days now), so you'll have to see my comments about Related Notes there. In a word: great! But, I did have a bug to report as well :(

#8 jga23

jga23

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm having some issues with my applescripts (posted in separate topic). How can I rollback to 5.0.1?

#9 mas90guru

mas90guru

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Whatever just got pushed out has also hung my MAC Evernote. Three force closes. I'm waiting to see if someone comes up with a solution to this.

#10 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Whatever just got pushed out has also hung my MAC Evernote. Three force closes. I'm waiting to see if someone comes up with a solution to this.

Please see the link here if you'd like to tackle this on your own. Depending on the size of your account, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get back up on your feet.

http://discussion.ev...-x/#entry173494

#11 yikeouch

yikeouch

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Aside from re-implementing back/forward navigation, bringing back note counts in a much more beautiful way, and fixing a TON of bugs along the way (you can celebrate now), we are announcing an incredible new feature: Related Notes.

Please let us know what you think of the new Related Notes in Evernote Mac.

I'm glad you specifically asked for comments on the new Related Notes feature.
It seems cool, and although I don't see that much use for it now, maybe the more I use it the more I will value it.
BUT, really, it is NOT something that I urgently need.
It certainly is not anywhere close to as important or useful as a Vertical List view, which has been requested for YEARS by a multitude of users.

I really don't understand why you guys continue to come up nice, but not that useful, features and UI when there is such a long list of feature requests by many, many users. I'm talking about features that have many, many requests.

In contrast with JMichal, the related notes are very useful to me. Thanks a lot, Jack.
I use my Evernote as my wikipedia. And I didn't make note links between all related notes. After two hours of use, I can say I love this new feature. It reminds me a lot information I would not notice before. It's wonderful.

#12 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

In contrast with JMichal, the related notes are very useful to me. Thanks a lot, Jack.
I use my Evernote as my wikipedia. And I didn't make note links between all related notes. After two hours of use, I can say I love this new feature. It reminds me a lot information I would not notice before. It's wonderful.

As I said above, I might find it more useful the more I use it.

However, I see some potential issues with it:
  • Reliability -- since I don't control the criteria for the "Related Notes", I can't be use that all of the notes that I would expect to find will be listed.
  • False Confidence
  • It could lead to a false confidence over time.
  • It might find some notes that you expect, leading you to belive that the list is complete
I'm not saying that it is not useful, I just don't think it is as useful to as many users as something like a Vertical List view.

For users like GrumpyMonkey and me who have a lot of non-image, mostly text Notes, having a Vertical List that shows lots of notes (>25) per screen is very, very useful, and is something that I would use every day.

Finally, implementing a simple List View has got to be much simpler/easier than a Related Notes feature.
The Vertical List view has already been implemented in EN Win, so all that needs to be done it implement the existing design on the Mac (and on iPad).

#13 Annapolis

Annapolis

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Please add back/forward back on individual note windows.
I use them more on individual windows then main windows, and there must be some people like me.

Very much agree - the embedded links are in the notes; partial fix. Once I open a note ...all the problems previously discussed for 5.0;0.1 still apply (would be great right before and on the same level as notebook pull-down).

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

For users like GrumpyMonkey and me who have a lot of non-image, mostly text Notes, having a Vertical List that shows lots of notes (>25) per screen is very, very useful, and is something that I would use every day.

Oh. It would be so very useful. I wouldn't have to use Windows through Parallels anymore :)

Finally, implementing a simple List View has got to be much simpler/easier than a Related Notes feature.

I cannot say what is easy or not, but I will say this -- I saw it coming. Evernote announced that it would be coming when they presented at ETC in August, and we knew that Business was coming this month, so it had to come in the middle. Frankly, I am surprised they managed to get so much done in so little time. I won't say I agree with all of the decisions, but I will say that (given all the assumptions I laid out in the other thread) they want to give us the "best" app they think they can make, so if they have designed an obviously crucial component of the app out of it (back/forward buttons, a customizable toolbar, etc.) then it may well have been because they had competing demands on their time.

Of course, that is all just speculation on my part. The point is that it probably wasn't so much a decision between List View and Related Notes, because they decided a long time not to do Vertical List View. I think they remain unconvinced that it would really help users out, so it is probably more of a disagreement somewhere.

I feel like there must be an intellectual equivalent of the Vulcan Nerve Pinch that will bring the developers to their knees and perhaps make them susceptible to a Vulcan Mind Meld.

Kirk: You're suffering from a Vulcan Mild Meld (after Spock "died")
Bones: That green-blooded son of a *****. It's his revenge for all those arguments he lost!

I'm coming for you iOS and OSX team members :)

#15 Imagenomad

Imagenomad

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Your prompt responses are appreciated, Jack.

Unfortunately though, a new bug - I have a tag consisting of asterisks I use for "must read/act on". On my Android phone, the tag count for this tag is present & correct. On the web interface, all present & correct. But on the Mac, it reads zero, even though the notes are present and carry the tag. Tried re-installing with no joy. Tried re-installing after removing my Library User file with no joy.

Still reading zero.

Incidentally, and **something you should be aware of** all of this installing/re-installing and deleting User files necessitating a re-sync doesn't half eat into your monthly allowance.

#16 frstr

frstr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

pre-5.0 rock-solid. 5.0.1 Mac has been crashing randomly for days but recovering. 5.0.2 killed Evernote today. Had to reinstall.

Secondly, there is a bug on making new notes (post-5.0) within the app. When you enter text for the note title, then hit "enter" or "tab," it closes the note and you have to find it in again in the list.

#17 OllieA

OllieA

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi, Evernote. I just did the 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 update and can no longer use Evernote. App starts but get no window. Soaks up lots of cpu and shows unresponsive in Activity Monitor. Force quit needed to kill it off. I deleted it and reinstalled, but have the same problem.

How can I return to 5.0.1?

#18 tardis

tardis

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Here's a fun bug in 5.0.2: if you rename a tag to change the case ("Red" to "red"), it just spawns a new instance of the tag. Restarting gives you only one of the properly renamed tag.

Workaround until it's fixed: change "Red" to "red2" to "red".

Oh, and there's something wonky going on with tagging and internal database errors that cause a crash but I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.

#19 bbrandon

bbrandon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

I installed Evernote 5.0.2 earlier this afternoon on my iMac. Now Evernote will not open. I can still use my notes on the Web, but can't access Evernote on the iMac itself.

This is not good. I rely on Evernote and have important research notes in it. Have I lost everything? What am I supposed to do to get Evernot working again?

I am not celebrating.

#20 bbrandon

bbrandon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

I removed Evernote from my iMac and reinstalled. It still will not open.

Any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote