(Archived) Can't move personal notes into business notebook

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few "business" notes in my Evernote. Now, of course, I'd like to drag those into the new business section. However, I can't drag/move in either the Windows or web version. Is this intentional for some reason, a bug, or a feature coming later?

• Level 5*

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few "business" notes in my Evernote. Now, of course, I'd like to drag those into the new business section. However, I can't drag/move in either the Windows or web version. Is this intentional for some reason, a bug, or a feature coming later?

Oh boy do I wish I could help with some advice, but I have no idea what you are talking about, and I suspect very few people do here. I am assuming you got in on the Business beta, right? Would you mind posting a screenshot? I'd sure like to see it :)

I've been applying (several times) to the beta since the minute it was released, but no responses yet...

• Level 5*

Using the Windows version, I can drag notes to a different ntoebook, no problem. You can also multi-select them, and change the current notebook for all of them using the notebook dropdown on the multi-selection panel.

Just curious -- is the "new business section" you mention denoted by a different notebook, or a different tag?

GrumpyMonkey -- It's out of beta and open to all. Updated Evernote this morning, paid my $10 for a business account, and here we are.

jefito -- I can drag and drop between my personal/shared notebooks with no problem. The new business notebooks are a completely separate section below your normal group of notebooks, as seen here: http://screencast.com/t/OTr4A9tfVd

I just can't drag stuff over there and it's very frustrating.

Oh, you're talking about the new Evernote Business product. Nevermind my suggestion.

On the other hand, the Evernote Business Guide (http://evernote.com/business/guide/#3) says that you can change notebook using the Notebook selector in the note editor. Might have to do this one-by-one, unfortunately.

That'd be ok (though less than ideal), but it doesn't work either. "Unable to move notes to the specified notebook. Please try copying them instead." Grrr.

That'd be ok (though less than ideal), but it doesn't work either. "Unable to move notes to the specified notebook. Please try copying them instead." Grrr.

It sounds like the business account is a different account from your original account. If so, then this would make sense, since AFAIK, you can't drag notes from one account to another. However, you may be able to export them as enex & import the enex file to the business account.

Hello! Yes it's a feature that we'd like to add to the Windows client. Here's the work around that I just learned (and just told Customer Support).

Select the Notes you'd like to move

Drag them to your desktop (This exports an .enex)

Scroll down to your Business Notebooks

Drag the file from your desktop onto the Business Notebook of your choosing

Please let me know if you have any questions or any trouble with this

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey -- It's out of beta and open to all. Updated Evernote this morning, paid my $10 for a business account, and here we are.

jefito -- I can drag and drop between my personal/shared notebooks with no problem. The new business notebooks are a completely separate section below your normal group of notebooks, as seen here: http://screencast.com/t/OTr4A9tfVd

I just can't drag stuff over there and it's very frustrating.

Thanks. I am grumpy that I couldn't familiarize myself with it in the beta process. I had no idea it was out in the wild today. Thanks for posting this. Perhaps, when I get up to speed in a few days with it, I can offer some advice. Hopefully, dlu has you covered on this one :)

• Level 5*

Hello! Yes it's a feature that we'd like to add to the Windows client. Here's the work around that I just learned (and just told Customer Support).

This is part of the question that I sent off via the Contact Us form for EnB. Here is my problem with that. We have a user with a 7GB-8GB shared notebook (15 people) that we want to convert to EN Business. Almost 5,700 notes. It sounds like you are doing an export/import.

1. We'd certainly blow our 2GB monthly allowance on that transition. I'd like to get a waiver on this rather than having to pay the $10/gb fee on overages. (especially since we've already spent $30 on the overages in her premium account - we are archiving data making it searchable and available to 2 different countries and the initial months are heavy usage)
  2. it would take a few hours of computer processing time, which would be downtime.
  3. it would take many more hours of upload time on that first sync
  4. What about the tag structure? I was under the impression that the .enex file didn't retain the tag hierarchy, but simply a flat listing of the tags.

As I said, i've already sent this info via the Contact Us form, but any public answers you give could help me and others.

It's quite unfortunate to have to use a workaround for something like that, but I appreciate the help. Aside from dating everything with today's date (and thus putting it at the top of my "updated" list) it does the job.

• Level 5*

It's quite unfortunate to have to use a workaround for something like that, but I appreciate the help. Aside from dating everything with today's date (and thus putting it at the top of my "updated" list) it does the job.

Ouch. That won't work for us. We may have to wait until the "move" feature is available.

This is part of the question that I sent off via the Contact Us form for EnB. Here is my problem with that. We have a user with a 7GB-8GB shared notebook (15 people) that we want to convert to EN Business. Almost 5,700 notes. It sounds like you are doing an export/import.

1. We'd certainly blow our 2GB monthly allowance on that transition. I'd like to get a waiver on this rather than having to pay the $10/gb fee on overages. (especially since we've already spent $30 on the overages in her premium account - we are archiving data making it searchable and available to 2 different countries and the initial months are heavy usage)
  2. it would take a few hours of computer processing time, which would be downtime.
  3. it would take many more hours of upload time on that first sync
  4. What about the tag structure? I was under the impression that the .enex file didn't retain the tag hierarchy, but simply a flat listing of the tags.

As I said, i've already sent this info via the Contact Us form, but any public answers you give could help me and others.

1. So with Evernote business you get two upload allowances. Each person gets bumped up to 2 gb. Notes uploaded against personal noteobooks go use up this allownce. You get a separate business upload allowance. The business allowance is a pooled allowance that anyone can use. In the US, it's like a cell phone "family plan" that anyone can draw from. The total pool is calculated by 2 gb X Number of employees. So you should have a 30gb business upload allowance. We're allowing anyone to freely use this pool because we've found that often a handful of people use up a large proportion of the quota (esp if one person is responsible for archiving or scanning documents).

2 & 3. Don't have a way of avoiding this. Even when if we did a move, it is a client side move. So it'll process and re-upload everything. We don't something on the server-side for this. If you have a computer you can leave on overnight, it might be worth kicking it off at the end of the day and coming back to it in the morning

4. Tags under business notebooks don't support hierarchy at this time

Hope that helps!

So if you change the first few steps, you should be able to solve that.

Select Notes you'd like to export. Right Click & select "Export Notes"

Select .enex file type (Should be default setting)

Click Options to make sure Created & Updated dates are preserved

Export to your desktop (or somewhere else convenient)

Drag the .enex into a business notebook.

• Level 5*

1. So with Evernote business you get two upload allowances. Each person gets bumped up to 2 gb. Notes uploaded against personal noteobooks go use up this allownce. You get a separate business upload allowance. The business allowance is a pooled allowance that anyone can use. In the US, it's like a cell phone "family plan" that anyone can draw from. The total pool is calculated by 2 gb X Number of employees. So you should have a 30gb business upload allowance. We're allowing anyone to freely use this pool because we've found that often a handful of people use up a large proportion of the quota (esp if one person is responsible for archiving or scanning documents).

2 & 3. Don't have a way of avoiding this. Even when if we did a move, it is a client side move. So it'll process and re-upload everything. We don't something on the server-side for this. If you have a computer you can leave on overnight, it might be worth kicking it off at the end of the day and coming back to it in the morning

4. Tags under business notebooks don't support hierarchy at this time

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Just have to figure it out and how the migration will impact us. The fact that you cannot/won't do server-side moves is actually comforting. It shows there is a real firewall between business and personal.

Oh forgot to call out. This will remove note history. When we do a client side move, it will not have note history. You can keep the old notes around and rename the notebook with "archive" or something similar.

Hi,

I too want to move notes from personal to business notebooks.

I have tried using the process explained above, but it is not preserving the dates.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I export and click options all but the preserve tags is ticked but greyed out.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Hi,

I have tried using the process explained above, but it is not preserving the dates.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I export and click options all but the preserve tags is ticked but greyed out.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Them being grayed out when you export is expected. May I ask what dates are getting assigned since it isn't preserving the old ones?

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Them being grayed out when you export is expected. May I ask what dates are getting assigned since it isn't preserving the old ones?

I'm having the same issue. The Export had Preserved Updeated Date checked but when imported the updated date changes to "1 minute ago".

post-57377-0-75655400-1354729193_thumb.j

I really hope you guys come up with a way to MOVE personal notebooks to the Business section. Exporting wipes out your upload quota. It also loses the sub folders. Most of us that we're on Premium before had many business notebooks that really would fit nicely in the notebook plan.

One of the issues with moving, or 'converting' from personal to business is network concerns. Your personal data is physically stored in a separate server from the business in our data center. So to move that data over is, with regards to network resources is 'costly.' Not that this necessarily matters to you, the end user. The product team is working on ways to make the transition to business easier.

any word on this? really would like to use this asap...without being able to move personal notebooks to business notebooks this service does me no good and i'll need to cancel next month...thank you

Since Brickey's post was only 13 hours before yours, it's doubtful there is a change.

• Level 5*

any word on this? really would like to use this asap...without being able to move personal notebooks to business notebooks this service does me no good and i'll need to cancel next month...thank you

Since Brickey's post was only 13 hours before yours, it's doubtful there is a change.

What about now? :P

It's one of our top priorities. It involves some other sync functionality that we're going to improve all at the same time.

A move, however, will still count against quota. Personally, I've been doing a mix of copying and moving. I'm not quite sure what you mean by subfolders. Are you referring to nested tags?

What would be useful is the ability to specify in ipad or iphone - which business folders you want to sync. Due to capacity issues, you may not want to sync all business folders as you would on a pc or mac. Also the ability to store business folders locally on an iphone/ipad would be really useful!

Thanks,

Marko

Yup this is a bummer. I have a couple of thousand notes I wish to transfer from Personal to Business and none of the workarounds seem to allow me to do any more than transfer these singly. Kind of wish I had held back on the Business shell out till this was fixed!

I've having a different issue.

I would love ot be able to add notes to a business notebook.. Seems like a pretty common interaction, also a very basic use case. I've tried exporting using the "Export notes" option. this basically dumped a bunch of HTML and JPGs into a folder I was using as repository.

I tried the suggested way, of selecting the notes I want to export, and dragging them to my desktop (seriously guys?).

That worked... until I tried to import the notes back into the Business Notepad I have selected... This is what I get...

screenshot20121212at215.png

I tried to import twice... and both times, it just hangs there...

I should note my OS and Versions..

Mac OSX 10.6.8 (latest revision and updates)

Evernote Business Version 5.0.3 (400675)

• Level 5*

I tried the suggested way, of selecting the notes I want to export, and dragging them to my desktop (seriously guys?).

I am finding this is a major usability issue in our test environment here of two users. I don't dare roll this out. Instead of having everything in business notebooks, we'll just have a lot of data in multiple user's accounts. Even I find I am too lazy to move this stuff this way, so I wait until I have a lot to move, and eventually forget to do it.

Daniel,

I tried using the right click > move option, and it was provided to me the first time I tried to move all the notes. I gave it a second to finish up before switching away and this is what I was looking at after the progress bar was finished loading...

screenshot20121212at350.png

I tried to move the notes inside the personal notebook(top) to the business notebook(bottom) using the right click option.

Now that I've done that... Inside the personal notebook, this is what my right click menu looks like...

screenshot20121212at351.png

The move action never executed or failed to transfer the notes.

Wow... So, out of habit, I restarted EverNote Business, and this is what I'm looking at...

60191870.jpg

The newly created Business Notebook (UI - StyleGuide - Rebel Scum) is no longer in my list of notebooks. Also the trash now has 11 items in in, it was empty when I closed EN-B, two notebooks (why?) labeled "conflict Changes -date & time-" are back in the list (I deleted those earlier). Also, my "Style Guide - RebelScum" notepad is still empty... Looks like my notes got nuked.

Hopefully I didn't nuke my entire styleguide because that would reeeeeeeealy suck.

* Face Desk * I installed the old Evernote 5.0.0 from the App Store... I managed to export my notes from the style guide (even though you cant see them in the notebook anymore).

I imported them, and it said it imported 25 notes. Well... Nothing there still.

The style guide is thankfully still available on the web, and as an .enex file, it's just not visible in the notebooks. I can however search for them or find them when I display "All notes"

• Level 5

The new Evernote for Mac version 5.0.4 supports moving/copying to/from Business Notebooks. It's available here: http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac

Just as a point of reference, Evernote Business is only fully supported on Evernote Mac clients downloaded directly from Evernote.com. Mac App Store releases still do not support Evernote Business.

Hey so I think I figured out what was wrong. I have managed to transfer notes from a personal notebook to a business notebook.

The issue seems to be this...

Use Case: The user wants to move notes from a personal notebook to a business notebook.

Precondition: The user has a personal notebook which is shared with other users.

Solution: The user must remove any shares of the notebook prior to using the Right-Click > Move to Notebook option.

Result: The user may freely move notes between personal and business notebooks.

Thats my solution. I'll let you know if anything else comes up, but so far this is working nicely.

Hey so I think I figured out what was wrong. I have managed to transfer notes from a personal notebook to a business notebook.

The issue seems to be this...

Use Case: The user wants to move notes from a personal notebook to a business notebook.

Precondition: The user has a personal notebook which is shared with other users.

Solution: The user must remove any shares of the notebook prior to using the Right-Click > Move to Notebook option.

Thats my solution. I'll let you know if anything else comes up, but so far this is working nicely.

Do your moved notes retain their original time stamps?

Do your moved notes retain their original time stamps?

Yes they do. At least they do for me.

What platform are you using? The time stamps all get reset for me when using Windows.

What exact steps are you taking to export/import?

Thanks!

We're still working on this for the Windows client. I believe OneHeWasRubix is using the Mac client

I am using the mac client. See my post on page 2... search for the word 'Use Case"

These are the steps (for clarification)

1) Right click on your personal notebook.

2) Select "Modify Sharing"

3) Remove all users in the list by clicking the "x" next to their name

4) Dismiss

5) Double click on your personal notebook

6) Select all notes

7) Right click

8) Select "Move to Notebook"

9) Select your business notebook.

Thanks for the tip OneHeWasRubix,

Seems the only way to move the notes over is to create the new notebook in the 'business' folder then do as you say on the Mac.

Thanks goodness I have both Mac and Windows, otherwise this would be a problem for me.

Regards

Chris

I just came across this thread after signing up for the EN business account and then finding I can't move my business related stuff from my personal notebooks to my business notebooks unless I start doing exports to .enex files and imports back in. Not only does that destroy the dates it is far too onerous a task.

So what's the point, I get an email, forward it to evernote, it goes into my default notebook and then when I want to tag it and move it to a business notebook I can't.

This is something evernote "forgot" to mention when they launched EN business with all the hype.

I can't see the point in having a business account when it is not fully functional.

• Level 5*

Note that supposedly the Mac client can move files, but not the Windows client. Right now I have 3 major issues preventing me from moving to this:

1. Cannot move notes between business and personal
  2. Cannot delete business notes. Documentation says you can, but you cannot. I apparently have a "corrupt" note, and that has halted all business syncing for me as I cannot delete it. Support is aware of this.
  3. Evernote on Windows creates new notes in the UI in the notebook you are in, not the default notebook, so users can accidentally create personal notes in the business notebook. Because they 1) cannot move them and 2) cannot delete them, this is a big risk to personal info being in corporate systems.

I just came across this thread after signing up for the EN business account and then finding I can't move my business related stuff from my personal notebooks to my business notebooks unless I start doing exports to .enex files and imports back in. Not only does that destroy the dates it is far too onerous a task.

So what's the point, I get an email, forward it to evernote, it goes into my default notebook and then when I want to tag it and move it to a business notebook I can't.

This is something evernote "forgot" to mention when they launched EN business with all the hype.

I can't see the point in having a business account when it is not fully functional.

Hi Ian,

To move notes from personal to business, you select the note, right click then select 'move' and the business notebook you want to move it to. You then have to delete the same personal note.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi Ian,

To move notes from personal to business, you select the note, right click then select 'move' and the business notebook you want to move it to. You then have to delete the same personal note.

Best regards

Chris

That isn't moving. That is copying and deleting. And it isn't the same thing because the note URL/link will change. Evernote doesn't seem too concerned with the note links/URLs in this and the merge scenario.

If that isn't fixed, then it sounds like all of my notes that are business will stay in my personal notebook when the other issues are fixed and the new notes can be put in the EnB account.

Just to be as transparent as possible, Edh, that is how things will work behind the scenes. Because Businesses live on their own shard, we aren't able to preserve note links, note URLs or note history. We'll be doing a copy and delete or just a copy, depending on if you choose Copy or Move

• Level 5*

Just to be as transparent as possible, Edh, that is how things will work behind the scenes. Because Businesses live on their own shard, we aren't able to preserve note links, note URLs or note history. We'll be doing a copy and delete or just a copy, depending on if you choose Copy or Move

Thanks for the heads up DLU. that means we definitely won't be doing a transition for most of our notes, but rather a cutoff on the old and starting fresh on the new.

I am very worried about note links and URLs. I use them extensively to document where I get source information in Excel, and it works beautifully. I wish I could count on them being fixed. The Merge issue is the one that kills me, to the point I won't merge once linked, but rather link within a note to another note, which is supremely ugly.

Hi Ian,

Best regards

Chris

That isn't moving. That is copying and deleting. And it isn't the same thing because the note URL/link will change. Evernote doesn't seem too concerned with the note links/URLs in this and the merge scenario.

If that isn't fixed, then it sounds like all of my notes that are business will stay in my personal notebook when the other issues are fixed and the new notes can be put in the EnB account.

Yes you can copy but that is not moving. What I need to know is will Evernote be addressing this issue which I think is a serious flaw because without the option to move notes between notebooks then I don't see any advantage of Evernote Business.

I used the workaround on Windows (move to a Windows folder etc..) and something VERY BAD happened:

I lost all the "created date" field from all the moved notes..

Did I mention it's VERY BAD for me?

:(

I would delete those notes you imported, and try on our latest RC here:

You can copy or move notes on this

After 6 months Ive enjoyed evernote...that was until upgrading from premium to business ... 10 days and counting

because i've never had issues so i've never had to troubleshoot or use this forum

My main issue is evernote for mac crashes every time i open it... i've tried the app cleaner reset solution but the same error occurs

Im not expecting a solution here, Im just wondering if such a upgrade should have been released overlooking the possibility that maybe a few people would want to move some of their personal folders into business folders

it should be straightforward without the crashes and/or extra steps.

other issues include:

-after importing all files to a default folder which is personal i cant transfers the notes to a business folder ... is that right that there is such a restriction?

-also my files from snapscan are clogging up as I can drag & drop them into the mac application

-using the web version in the meantime is just not the same - its like a different product with no consistency between platforms

I was looking forward to sorting between personal & business during this time of year but all ive got is troubleshooting since

After 6 months Ive enjoyed evernote...that was until upgrading from premium to business ... 10 days and counting

because i've never had issues so i've never had to troubleshoot or use this forum

My main issue is evernote for mac crashes every time i open it... i've tried the app cleaner reset solution but the same error occurs

Im not expecting a solution here, Im just wondering if such a upgrade should have been released overlooking the possibility that maybe a few people would want to move some of their personal folders into business folders

it should be straightforward without the crashes and/or extra steps.

other issues include:

-after importing all files to a default folder which is personal i cant transfers the notes to a business folder ... is that right that there is such a restriction?

-also my files from snapscan are clogging up as I can drag & drop them into the mac application

-using the web version in the meantime is just not the same - its like a different product with no consistency between platforms

I was looking forward to sorting between personal & business during this time of year but all ive got is troubleshooting since

Hi CorporateCar,

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you're using the Mac and Web versions of Evernote. The Mac version should allow you to move notes between personal and business. The Windows RC does, and that should be coming to a public GA soon.

The crashing and backlog from ScanSnap on a Mac seems unusual, I would leverage the customer support you get as an Evernote Business member and see if they can fix it (I'll ping the Mac folks casually).

cheers!

• 4 months later...

Currently, you cannot move a note on an iPhone from personal to business. I'm not familiar with a workaround. You can create notes directly into a business notebook by taping notebooks then tapping the notebook you'd like to add to, and then clicking the plus sign in the top right corner. 

• Level 5*

Currently, you cannot move a note on an iPhone from personal to business. I'm not familiar with a workaround. You can create notes directly into a business notebook by taping notebooks then tapping the notebook you'd like to add to, and then clicking the plus sign in the top right corner. 

Cannot do it on the website either. AFAIK, the only way to do it is with a desktop client, which is limiting.

Archived