Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Can't move personal notes into business notebook

evernote business

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 mickmel

mickmel

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few "business" notes in my Evernote. Now, of course, I'd like to drag those into the new business section. However, I can't drag/move in either the Windows or web version. Is this intentional for some reason, a bug, or a feature coming later?

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few "business" notes in my Evernote. Now, of course, I'd like to drag those into the new business section. However, I can't drag/move in either the Windows or web version. Is this intentional for some reason, a bug, or a feature coming later?

Oh boy do I wish I could help with some advice, but I have no idea what you are talking about, and I suspect very few people do here. I am assuming you got in on the Business beta, right? Would you mind posting a screenshot? I'd sure like to see it :)

I've been applying (several times) to the beta since the minute it was released, but no responses yet...

#3 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Using the Windows version, I can drag notes to a different ntoebook, no problem. You can also multi-select them, and change the current notebook for all of them using the notebook dropdown on the multi-selection panel.

Just curious -- is the "new business section" you mention denoted by a different notebook, or a different tag?
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#4 mickmel

mickmel

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

GrumpyMonkey -- It's out of beta and open to all. Updated Evernote this morning, paid my $10 for a business account, and here we are.

jefito -- I can drag and drop between my personal/shared notebooks with no problem. The new business notebooks are a completely separate section below your normal group of notebooks, as seen here: http://screencast.com/t/OTr4A9tfVd

I just can't drag stuff over there and it's very frustrating.

#5 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh, you're talking about the new Evernote Business product. Nevermind my suggestion.

On the other hand, the Evernote Business Guide (http://evernote.com/business/guide/#3) says that you can change notebook using the Notebook selector in the note editor. Might have to do this one-by-one, unfortunately.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#6 mickmel

mickmel

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Oh, you're talking about the new Evernote Business product. Nevermind my suggestion.

On the other hand, the Evernote Business Guide (http://evernote.com/business/guide/#3) says that you can change notebook using the Notebook selector in the note editor. Might have to do this one-by-one, unfortunately.

That'd be ok (though less than ideal), but it doesn't work either. "Unable to move notes to the specified notebook. Please try copying them instead." Grrr.

#7 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,146 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

That'd be ok (though less than ideal), but it doesn't work either. "Unable to move notes to the specified notebook. Please try copying them instead." Grrr.

It sounds like the business account is a different account from your original account. If so, then this would make sense, since AFAIK, you can't drag notes from one account to another. However, you may be able to export them as enex & import the enex file to the business account.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#8 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hello! Yes it's a feature that we'd like to add to the Windows client. Here's the work around that I just learned (and just told Customer Support).

Select the Notes you'd like to move
Drag them to your desktop (This exports an .enex)
Scroll down to your Business Notebooks
Drag the file from your desktop onto the Business Notebook of your choosing

Please let me know if you have any questions or any trouble with this
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

GrumpyMonkey -- It's out of beta and open to all. Updated Evernote this morning, paid my $10 for a business account, and here we are.

jefito -- I can drag and drop between my personal/shared notebooks with no problem. The new business notebooks are a completely separate section below your normal group of notebooks, as seen here: http://screencast.com/t/OTr4A9tfVd

I just can't drag stuff over there and it's very frustrating.

Thanks. I am grumpy that I couldn't familiarize myself with it in the beta process. I had no idea it was out in the wild today. Thanks for posting this. Perhaps, when I get up to speed in a few days with it, I can offer some advice. Hopefully, dlu has you covered on this one :)

#10 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hello! Yes it's a feature that we'd like to add to the Windows client. Here's the work around that I just learned (and just told Customer Support).

This is part of the question that I sent off via the Contact Us form for EnB. Here is my problem with that. We have a user with a 7GB-8GB shared notebook (15 people) that we want to convert to EN Business. Almost 5,700 notes. It sounds like you are doing an export/import.
  • We'd certainly blow our 2GB monthly allowance on that transition. I'd like to get a waiver on this rather than having to pay the $10/gb fee on overages. (especially since we've already spent $30 on the overages in her premium account - we are archiving data making it searchable and available to 2 different countries and the initial months are heavy usage)
  • it would take a few hours of computer processing time, which would be downtime.
  • it would take many more hours of upload time on that first sync
  • What about the tag structure? I was under the impression that the .enex file didn't retain the tag hierarchy, but simply a flat listing of the tags.
As I said, i've already sent this info via the Contact Us form, but any public answers you give could help me and others.

#11 mickmel

mickmel

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

It's quite unfortunate to have to use a workaround for something like that, but I appreciate the help. Aside from dating everything with today's date (and thus putting it at the top of my "updated" list) it does the job.

#12 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

It's quite unfortunate to have to use a workaround for something like that, but I appreciate the help. Aside from dating everything with today's date (and thus putting it at the top of my "updated" list) it does the job.

Ouch. That won't work for us. We may have to wait until the "move" feature is available.

#13 dlu

dlu

• 2,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

This is part of the question that I sent off via the Contact Us form for EnB. Here is my problem with that. We have a user with a 7GB-8GB shared notebook (15 people) that we want to convert to EN Business. Almost 5,700 notes. It sounds like you are doing an export/import.
  • We'd certainly blow our 2GB monthly allowance on that transition. I'd like to get a waiver on this rather than having to pay the $10/gb fee on overages. (especially since we've already spent $30 on the overages in her premium account - we are archiving data making it searchable and available to 2 different countries and the initial months are heavy usage)
  • it would take a few hours of computer processing time, which would be downtime.
  • it would take many more hours of upload time on that first sync
  • What about the tag structure? I was under the impression that the .enex file didn't retain the tag hierarchy, but simply a flat listing of the tags.
As I said, i've already sent this info via the Contact Us form, but any public answers you give could help me and others.

1. So with Evernote business you get two upload allowances. Each person gets bumped up to 2 gb. Notes uploaded against personal noteobooks go use up this allownce. You get a separate business upload allowance. The business allowance is a pooled allowance that anyone can use. In the US, it's like a cell phone "family plan" that anyone can draw from. The total pool is calculated by 2 gb X Number of employees. So you should have a 30gb business upload allowance. We're allowing anyone to freely use this pool because we've found that often a handful of people use up a large proportion of the quota (esp if one person is responsible for archiving or scanning documents).

2 & 3. Don't have a way of avoiding this. Even when if we did a move, it is a client side move. So it'll process and re-upload everything. We don't something on the server-side for this. If you have a computer you can leave on overnight, it might be worth kicking it off at the end of the day and coming back to it in the morning

4. Tags under business notebooks don't support hierarchy at this time

Hope that helps!
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

#14 dlu

dlu

• 2,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

So if you change the first few steps, you should be able to solve that.

Select Notes you'd like to export. Right Click & select "Export Notes"
Select .enex file type (Should be default setting)
Click Options to make sure Created & Updated dates are preserved
Export to your desktop (or somewhere else convenient)
Drag the .enex into a business notebook.

#15 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

1. So with Evernote business you get two upload allowances. Each person gets bumped up to 2 gb. Notes uploaded against personal noteobooks go use up this allownce. You get a separate business upload allowance. The business allowance is a pooled allowance that anyone can use. In the US, it's like a cell phone "family plan" that anyone can draw from. The total pool is calculated by 2 gb X Number of employees. So you should have a 30gb business upload allowance. We're allowing anyone to freely use this pool because we've found that often a handful of people use up a large proportion of the quota (esp if one person is responsible for archiving or scanning documents).

2 & 3. Don't have a way of avoiding this. Even when if we did a move, it is a client side move. So it'll process and re-upload everything. We don't something on the server-side for this. If you have a computer you can leave on overnight, it might be worth kicking it off at the end of the day and coming back to it in the morning

4. Tags under business notebooks don't support hierarchy at this time

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Just have to figure it out and how the migration will impact us. The fact that you cannot/won't do server-side moves is actually comforting. It shows there is a real firewall between business and personal.

#16 dlu

dlu

• 2,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Oh forgot to call out. This will remove note history. When we do a client side move, it will not have note history. You can keep the old notes around and rename the notebook with "archive" or something similar.

#17 Debayne

Debayne

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

I too want to move notes from personal to business notebooks.

I have tried using the process explained above, but it is not preserving the dates.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I export and click options all but the preserve tags is ticked but greyed out.

Thanks in advance,
Debbie

#18 dlu

dlu

• 2,407 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hi,

I have tried using the process explained above, but it is not preserving the dates.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I export and click options all but the preserve tags is ticked but greyed out.

Thanks in advance,
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Them being grayed out when you export is expected. May I ask what dates are getting assigned since it isn't preserving the old ones?

#19 GollyJer

GollyJer

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Them being grayed out when you export is expected. May I ask what dates are getting assigned since it isn't preserving the old ones?

I'm having the same issue. The Export had Preserved Updeated Date checked but when imported the updated date changes to "1 minute ago".

Attached Files

#20 dlu

dlu

• 2,407 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Ack you're right. We're working on a proper fix for this asap. Apologies for this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote