(Archived) editing an image in-place within an Evernote notebook

hockeynut

New user here. Evernote and Skitch on my iPad, iPhone, as well as Mac and Windows laptops. Currently working on my Macbook.

I have an Evernote notebook with a note containing an image. I want to annotate that image so I right click on it, select "Open With" and select Skitch.

The image comes up in Skitch and I make my changes (adding some text, cool arrows, etc).

I expected that when I saved the image, it would be saved back to the image in the notebook from which I opened it. Instead it created a new Skitch notebook and put it in there.

I looked at the settings for Skitch and was hoping there was a way to edit "in place" but I guess its not there? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

SteveH

I can't help, but I just want to add my voice in saying that this is the expected behavior. An image should be an image not a note unto itself. Sometimes an image is the only thing in a note, but it's still just part of what makes up a note. That's what's so great about Evernote. I can have a note with images, bullet points, links, text, etc. all in one note.

I can't help, but I just want to add my voice in saying that this is the expected behavior. An image should be an image not a note unto itself. Sometimes an image is the only thing in a note, but it's still just part of what makes up a note. That's what's so great about Evernote. I can have a note with images, bullet points, links, text, etc. all in one note.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it should work this way. It appears that the dev team is responsive so hopefully they're listening! :)

Hockeynut & mrgoerend,

You aren't missing anything. What you are encountering is by design, but that doesn't mean it has to stay that way. What your experiencing is a way Evernote Mac interacts with Skitch Mac. Right now when you send the image to Skitch Mac from Evernote Mac, Skitch is not aware that image comes from a specific Evernote note (or is a specific image from that note). So when Skitch goes to edit the image it preserves your orignal note, and doesn't touch it with the new annotations. This is done to protect your orignal, but also because of way Evernote Mac and Skitch Mac interact.

It just so happens that the product manager for Evernote Mac is coming here to visit this week and him and I are going to sit down and talk about making Evernote Mac and Skitch Mac work better together. I'll make a note of this request and bring it up in our meeting, because this is a feature which would be great to have.

By the way I say Skitch Mac and Evernote Mac because, if you use our Skitch for Windows Desktop version along with Evernote for Windows Desktop you'll notice that Evernote for Windows Desktop has an "Edit in Skitch" option which will more or less do exactly what you want. This is a feature we'd like to make more universal. It was done there because of a number of technical reasons.

• 1 month later...

Hockeynut & mrgoerend,

You aren't missing anything. What you are encountering is by design, but that doesn't mean it has to stay that way. What your experiencing is a way Evernote Mac interacts with Skitch Mac. Right now when you send the image to Skitch Mac from Evernote Mac, Skitch is not aware that image comes from a specific Evernote note (or is a specific image from that note). So when Skitch goes to edit the image it preserves your orignal note, and doesn't touch it with the new annotations. This is done to protect your orignal, but also because of way Evernote Mac and Skitch Mac interact.

It just so happens that the product manager for Evernote Mac is coming here to visit this week and him and I are going to sit down and talk about making Evernote Mac and Skitch Mac work better together. I'll make a note of this request and bring it up in our meeting, because this is a feature which would be great to have.

By the way I say Skitch Mac and Evernote Mac because, if you use our Skitch for Windows Desktop version along with Evernote for Windows Desktop you'll notice that Evernote for Windows Desktop has an "Edit in Skitch" option which will more or less do exactly what you want. This is a feature we'd like to make more universal. It was done there because of a number of technical reasons.

But, in the Windows version, if you edit an existing note with Skitch, those Skitch annotations are then permanent and cannot be edited again with Skitch. This is different than editing a Skitch item which has been saved in Evernote. Those annotations may later be modified or edited in later Skitch sessions. It is very confusing.

• 3 months later...

I'm just adding my voice to the request here. I have a Galaxy Note tablet, and I love the way I can edit any image I have attached to EN using skitch on my Android tablet. I would love this same functionality on Mac, as I also use a graphic tablet on my desk.

Archived