(Archived) Windows 4.6.0 Beta 2

dlu

Hello people of Windows,

We have a 4.6.0 Beta 2 that has some new installer processes that we need help field testing. Our internal tests haven't run into any issues, but we'd like it to see some time in the field to be sure. We also have some minor fixes, for example we have a fix for tags disappearing (and reappearing when you re-size the left panel).

We have a known issue with the Internet Explorer clipper, it seems to not launch/clip properly. We will try to push out a fix very soon for this.

• Level 5*

OK, seemed to install fine, quicker than yesterdays. 3 UACs, thought it was usually 2.

So, first impression: a saved search that operates over all notebooks really does now search over all notebooks, including joined notebooks. Once you're in all notebooks, you cannot switch back to All My Notebooks from the search info dropdown, and if you select All My Notebooks from the notebook list, you lose your search terms. Still think it'd be useful to be able distinguish in the grammar whether you want All Notebooks, All My Notebooks, and maybe also All Joined Notebooks. And the search info dropdown could use an All My Notebooks entry.

thanks dlu and the Windows dev types, too.

• Level 5*

If I am understanding correctly how the searches are working, then they no longer work the same across the clients if you have joined notebooks. In Windows it works one way (sometimes searches joined notebooks), in Mac another (always searches joined notebooks), and in iOS yet another (no search of joined notebooks). Advanced users might be able to cope with the inconsistencies, but maybe not in the way you want: I left all of my joined notebooks except for one so that my iOS and Mac search results would return the same results.

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional. I recommend sticking with it on every client and perhaps following Jefito's suggestions.

Did I understand the situation correctly? For a while we had no note counts in iOS and Mac, so I may have misinterpreted my own tests a couple of weeks ago when I had more shared notebooks.

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional.

This might just be due to some of us reading all of those iOS and Mac threads right before bed

I thought it seemed to install quicker than I remember it doing so previously. That's a good sign :)

You also changed it to stop the tags collapsing when you changed between shared notebooks too.

Thanks!

Scott

• Level 5*

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional.

This might just be due to some of us reading all of those iOS and Mac threads right before bed

At least your team gets to go to bed. The poor OSX and iOS folks won't ever get any sleep, and if they do, instead of dreaming about sugarplums dancing in their heads, they'll have nightmares about back buttons and list views following them down the streets like the Walking Dead.

Love the removal of the shared tab notebook, and the minor aesthetic changes. Installed perfectly, both yesterday's version and today's (268148).

It's hard for me to work with, however. I'm seeing the hourglass far more than I used to. I've had to close and reopen the program a couple of times in the last hour because it was getting stuck on importing a 2-page PDF into a note.

A problem I'd been seeing for awhile seems to have gotten worse. If I have a graphic or a file -- a Word doc, for example -- embedded in a note, and I delete it that embedded file, the program takes a long time -- up to a minute -- to allow me to insert a replacement graphic or doc into it.

I'm running XP SP3 on an old computer with plenty of RAM and have 8,200 notes at this point, which may help explain the lag. EN was responding significantly faster before this upgrade, though.

Thanks,

Lena

• Level 5*

Have we lost the ability to have the note panel on the right-hand side? It is now below the list, which I find to be less efficient as my rectangular screen is horizontal rather than vertical ...

• Level 5*
Have we lost the ability to have the note panel on the right-hand side? It is now below the list, which I find to be less efficient as my rectangular screen is horizontal rather than vertical ...

There are a couple of secret methods available in the client. Courtesy of spg SCOTT:

* use the shortcut Ctrl+ Shift + F5, or...

* Hold down the Shift key while clicking on the List option in the View selection dropdown

Both of these toggle between horizontal and vertical list views.

• Level 5*

There are a couple of secret methods available in the client. Courtesy of spg SCOTT:

* use the shortcut Ctrl+ Shift + F5, or...

Thank you Jefito, and thank you Scott! Back to being a happy camper with Evernote!

If I have clicked on a Saved Search (from my shortcut bar), then just want to switch to "All Notes" by clicking on its icon in the left hand tree view, it takes several clicks:

First click: a brief flicker, and then the next panel shows that instead of going straight to All Notes, it's kept MOST of my saved search, apart from switching the notebook it's meant to be using to "All Notes"

Second click: Same again

Third click: Same again

Fourth click: Displays All Notes.

• Level 5*

Here's a glitch: From the Notebooks pane, I dragged "All My Notes" to the Favorites bar. When I dropped it there, a button labelled "4294967294" was created on the Favorites bar. It appears to do nothing.

Another related problem, which may have existed before: if you drag a stack from the Notebooks panel to the Favorites bar, you get a button labelled with the first notebook in the stack.

• Level 5*

Here's a glitch: From the Notebooks pane, I dragged "All My Notes" to the Favorites bar. When I dropped it there, a button labelled "4294967294" was created on the Favorites bar. It appears to do nothing.

Another related problem, which may have existed before: if you drag a stack from the Notebooks panel to the Favorites bar, you get a button labelled with the first notebook in the stack.

We were having GUID numbers displaying in the bar last version. Maybe it is cropping up in this beta in a different way.

That is something that GM reported in the previous version, though it was with the notebooks dropdown menu that he saw it I think.

Peter mentioned that it may be related to a registry entry, but I think he may have also said that it should be fixed.

EDIT...to fast Grumpy, too fast :P

• Level 5*

Yeah, I remember the number (-2 in 32-bit signed integer), just wanted to report the different context. Not sure that I'd call is a GUID proper, which tend to be quite large numbers (128 bits), but I would have guessed it's some sort of temporary stand-in for a notebook identifier (because of the -2). Anyways, yeah.

• Level 5*

The default setting still isn't working. Too many times, notes get added to the active notebook, not the default notebook. Here are the scenarios that I've seen this happen:

• In Windows 7, if Evernote is not in the default notebook (@inbox in my case), if I add a new note via the jump list, it goes to the active notebook.
  • If Evernote is not in the default notebook, new scans from the Fujitsu ScanSnap goes to the active notebook if it is set to add scans directly to Evernote. Found that out when a bunch of scans were mysteriously missing, and found them in a notebook I was working on earlier in the day.

• Level 5*

Image sizes explode when rotating.

If I take a picture with my iPhone 5 in EN 5.1 (doesn't matter if taken in EN or imported from the Pictures folder), then rotate the image in the desktop version 90 degrees the images swells from 1.5-2.2MB to something well over 9MB! I had an image that was 1.7MB and here is what happened (actually - Evernote reports it at 1.7MB. Windows Explorer reports it at 1,423KB when it came over the photostreaming app.).

• Rotate Clockwise - grew to 9.3MB
  • Rotate clockwise - grew to 9.6MB (it is now effectively just a flipped image at 180 degrees)
  • Rotate clockwise - Shrank to 9.3MB
  • Rotate clockwise - grew to 9.6MB (it is now the original image.)

Doing the same in apps like Paint.NET, even at 100% JPG fidelity (which is an oxymoron) it only grows from 1,423KB to 3,012KB, so more than doubles, but doesn't go up 400% like doing it within Evernote does.

• Level 5*

Is it just me or are the indents on the tag hierarchy much smaller? I used to be able to scroll down my tag list and quickly see when I was in a sub-category vs a top level because of the indent level. Now, I cannot visually tell unless I have a top-level and 2nd level tag on the screen at the same time. Makes it harder to find things.

Adding a * hotkey (just like Windows) to expand all or the tree you are in and a rapid way to collapse would make navigating a lot of tags easier.

Ullppp... sorreeeee, Scott! Remind me not to do *that*... :)

Fixed by resetting to default and then rebuilding it. Seems that is the only way (for me at least) to get All Notes back.

Adding a * hotkey (just like Windows) to expand all or the tree you are in and a rapid way to collapse would make navigating a lot of tags easier.

Didn't know about that trick, think I broke explorer...tried it out on the C drive...spinning circle and Not responding, wonder how long that will take to fix itself :P

BTW, this does actually work in EN, try *, +, and -

Issue:

Alt + Printscreen option for screenshot to be edited in skitch seems to break the search explanation bar:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/8a344543-0433-49a7-bb70-7448f1724030/26a087d9c21da4b730a5277f8c799c4c

Alt + Printscreen then Esc should replicate what I see.

Can't stand the mess the tags are in now that shared notebooks are included with my notebooks. Please include the ability to keep them seperate. Every time I click on my tags, the trees expand and are polluted with other people's tags. It makes it nearly unusable for me as I have to go through far more tags to find the one I as actually looking for.

Can't stand the mess the tags are in now that shared notebooks are included with my notebooks. Please include the ability to keep them seperate. Every time I click on my tags, the trees expand and are polluted with other people's tags. It makes it nearly unusable for me as I have to go through far more tags to find the one I as actually looking for.

If you go select All My Notes, you'll only see notes and tags from your account and notebooks.

• Level 5*
If you go select All My Notes, you'll only see notes and tags from your account and notebooks.

Hopefully some of the inconsistencies between All Notes and All My Notes that we've noted will be ironed out in coming versions.

• Level 5*

Didn't know about that trick, think I broke explorer...tried it out on the C drive...spinning circle and Not responding, wonder how long that will take to fix itself :P

BTW, this does actually work in EN, try *, +, and -

Hmmm... thanks on the * - that is relatively new and I admit, obviously, I didn't test it. THe *, + and - still aren't easy to use. There has to be a way to be able to rapidly expand and drill down on sub-tags without fine precision mousework. I keep mine expanded now all of the time, but that is when I noticed they seem to have smaller tabs.

• Level 5*

Thanks DLU. Then could I suggest an "All Notes" section is available when a user is subscribed to a shared notebook? it isn't intuitive to select the Notebooks at the top. Maybe that is because in 4.5.x, selecting "notebooks" did nothing. Or change Notebooks to say "Notebooks (All notes)" or something similar if the user has shared notebooks.

Thanks DLU. Then could I suggest an "All Notes" section is available when a user is subscribed to a shared notebook? it isn't intuitive to select the Notebooks at the top. Maybe that is because in 4.5.x, selecting "notebooks" did nothing. Or change Notebooks to say "Notebooks (All notes)" or something similar if the user has shared notebooks.

Yeah I always thought it was weird in the old client how you couldn't select Notebooks. Anyways, I was concerned there would be a lot of things changing once you joined a notebook. Also "All Note" and "All My Notes"are very similar and easy to confuse. Still, it's worth thinking about

• Level 5*

Yeah I always thought it was weird in the old client how you couldn't select Notebooks. Anyways, I didn't was concerned there would be a lot of things changing once you joined a notebook. Also "All Note" and "All My Notes"are very similar and easy to confuse. Still, it's worth thinking about

Making it graphically and textually distinct is important. Whatever you do, please keep the functionality (the ability to search in just your own notebooks). This is missing from the Mac (as far as I know, we only have "sort" for your own stuff) and it is a headache there.

• Level 5*

Making it graphically and textually distinct is important. Whatever you do, please keep the functionality (the ability to search in just your own notebooks). This is missing from the Mac (as far as I know, we only have "sort" for your own stuff) and it is a headache there.

Yikes! That'd be a deal breaker for me. I'd have to stop sharing notebooks if that were the case.

• Level 5*

Yikes! That'd be a deal breaker for me. I'd have to stop sharing notebooks if that were the case.

LOL. That's what I did :)

• Level 5*

For terminology, how about:

All Notebooks

My Notebooks

Joined Notebooks

With concomitant search options, of course. :)

These could be entries in the notebook tree, and also in the Search Info notebook dropdown as well. However, for the notebook panel, I wouldn't want to require that joined notebooks actually be located as branches of the Joined Notebooks entry, since that would prevent you from grouping notebooks arbitrarily in stacks, something that I think is desirable.

Or maybe all joined notebooks could appear under Joined Notebooks, and also in any stacks in which they have been added. This is possibly similar to Libraries as are implemented in Windows Explorer.

We just pushed a GA :)

We've added in the ability to create stacks between joined notebooks and your notebooks. We've also fixed the bug where All My Notes give you a weird number when you drag it into the Favorites Bar.

Tried to install the update today. It failed, and wiped all traces of Evernote from my computer. Tried System Restore. That failed. Had to go back a week to find a Resore point that worked. Unwilling to try all that again!

Just going to add in my two cents.

I like having shared notebooks in with my own (most are ones between me and famliy members that we both add things too, it never made sense for them to be separated). However, now that they are shared, the tags being mixed in with my own is a real problem (not so much the family notebooks now, more one's like spg scott's one). We either need an option to turn off shared tags appearing in our own tag list (whether in all notes or all my notes), or, ideally, to be able to edit tags in shared notebooks so I can just use one set that I'm familar with and have control over.

Also, can all versions of evernote start being a bit more similar. I use windows, android, ios & web evernote in varying amounts and have 4 completely different interfaces to deal with (and I'm assuming macs have a fifth). Surely just one smaller mobile version and a full laptop version would be possible and easier to manage?

• Level 5*

Also, can all versions of evernote start being a bit more similar. I use windows, android, ios & web evernote in varying amounts and have 4 completely different interfaces to deal with (and I'm assuming macs have a fifth). Surely just one smaller mobile version and a full laptop version would be possible and easier to manage?

The Evernote CEO says, "The company’s goal, Libin told me, isn’t to reduce the experience down to one perfect interface that’s identical on a bevy of gadgets: “We want to make them all great, so that you won’t even notice they’re different.”

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/08/24/think-evernotes-interface-could-be-better-so-does-evernote/#ixzz2E5UZ5QZs

Personally, I want to see as much feature parity as possible across clients, and I want to see some of the UI elements resemble one another, but I don't expect them to be exact replicas.

• Level 5*

OK, since you're in GA, probably not much is going to change right away, but here is what I am seeing with the GA release:

• If I drag "All My Notes" to the Favorites bar, it stays up there as "All My Notes" (so that bug is fixed :)). Unfortunately, it behaves the same as "All Notebooks", not as "All My Notes"
  • If I click on one of my owned notebooks (non-joined, that is) in the notebook list (even if it's in a stack), the tag tree displays tags from that notebook (expected behavior). If I click on a stack containing only that notebook, the tag tree displays all tags, including those that are in the joined notebooks in my tree.
  • There appears to be only one way to view only owned notebooks; that's by clicking on the "All My Notes" entry in the notebook list. This sets the current search context (as seen in the Search Info notebook dropdown) to "All My Notes", but clears away any other search criteria (that's kind of expected for operations on the notebook tree). However, it is often convenient to change notebook context in the Search Info panel without modifying other search criteria. Unfortunately, there is no way to get back to "All My Notes" once you've selected something else in the Search Info notebook dropdown. "All My Notes" does not appear in that list.
  • There is no way to specify "All My Notes" in a search string, such as might be persisted in a Saved Search. "All Notebooks" is the default context. And because of the previous item, there's no way to change that context to "All My Notes".
  • Dragging a stack from the notebook panel to the Favorites Bar puts an icon there that is the name of the first notebook in the stack.
  • The ability to make stacks from a mix of owned notebooks and joined notebooks looks fine.

I think that there's a fair chance for user confusion, given the above, but I think that the merging of the separate owned and joined notebook trees is a good direction, so thanks to the WIndows devs.

• Level 5*

I think all of us have some reservations about the mixing of the owned and joined notebooks. It seems that everyone likes this direction, but the graphical, textual, and functional aspects are a little confusing. If even users who are intimately familiar with the app are having difficulties here, I'd say it would be a good idea to sort these things out before releasing this to gen pop. I'd hate to see unnecessary customer pushback on such a great improvement.

Of course, I noticed that we are now in December, and I vaguely remember something big was supposed to happen at Evernote this month, and that might require a quicker release of the app...

• Level 5*
Of course, I noticed that we are now in December, and I vaguely remember something big was supposed to happen at Evernote this month, and that might require a quicker release of the app...

Heh, big news is apparently Evernote Business: http://blog.evernote.com/2012/12/04/evernote-business-is-here-start-building-your-teams-knowledge-today/

• Level 5*

Tried to install the update today. It failed, and wiped all traces of Evernote from my computer. Tried System Restore. That failed. Had to go back a week to find a Resore point that worked. Unwilling to try all that again!

That sucks, but with EN, it isn't a huge deal. Just install the latest client and log in. It will pull your data from the cloud. the only hassle is reconfiguring the few preferences (tool bar, sync settings, etc). I really wish those preferences were stored in the cloud with all of my notes.

• Level 5*

Heh, big news is apparently Evernote Business: http://blog.evernote...nowledge-today/

:( I thought there was going to be a beta. Maybe there was and I wasn't invited.

• Level 5*

Is there a find hot key that uses all my notes as the target set? F5 for me now returns mine and shared notes. Don't know that I want to global search a shared notebook that often, just me anyway.

Sorry to hear that. Did the app crash? There shouldn't be anything that do that could remove all traces of ourselves

Heh, big news is apparently Evernote Business: http://blog.evernote...nowledge-today/

:( I thought there was going to be a beta. Maybe there was and I wasn't invited.

EdH, we had a page to sign up for a beta, but we actually had a huge amount of people sign up. We picked some off the list, but we weren't able to take everyone :( Sorry!

• Level 5*
Is there a find hot key that uses all my notes as the target set? F5 for me now returns mine and shared notes. Don't know that I want to global search a shared notebook that often, just me anyway.

??? Doesn't F5 switch among List, Snippet, and Thumbnail views?

• Level 5*

EdH, we had a page to sign up for a beta, but we actually had a huge amount of people sign up. We picked some off the list, but we weren't able to take everyone :( Sorry!

Thanks. Good to hear there was one. :)

I have to read through the stuff. I am hoping there is a FAQ. We have a user here with a premium account and about 7-8GB of data that is shared with 10-12 people. I want to migrate that to a business account, so need to figure out how that is accomplished.

• Level 5*

I have a nested tag called in my notebooks with a count of 110. I share a notebook which has the same tag, appears at the top tag level, with a count of 530.

• In All Notebooks mode If I select from the tag drop down I get 640 results.
  • In All Notebooks mode if I select either the nested or top level tag from the tag panel, I get 640 notes.
  • In All My Notes if I select the tag from the tag panel I get 110 notes.

The point is that the results are correct, but the note counts on the TWO same name tags don't make sense when in All Notebooks mode, note count on the search versus note count by the tag. That and the aforementioned sheer mess of the combined tag list (when they don't duplicate) gives this update an ugh from me. Bye-bye shared notebooks would seem to be the quickest fix for me..

• Level 5*
I have to read through the stuff. I am hoping there is a FAQ. We have a user here with a premium account and about 7-8GB of data that is shared with 10-12 people. I want to migrate that to a business account, so need to figure out how that is accomplished.

The Evernote Business site is here: http://evernote.com/business/. There's a FAQ section and other information. There's also a new section in the forums dedicated to the Evernote Business product.

• Level 5*

The Evernote Business site is here: http://evernote.com/business/. There's a FAQ section and other information. There's also a new section in the forums dedicated to the Evernote Business product.

Yup. Found all of that. Of course, my situation isn't directly addressed in the FAQ, so I've sent off a message via the Contact Us form. The daily workings seems simple enough, but the migration of existing accounts in different email domains and assigning the admin is questionable for me.

I like having shared notebooks in with my own (most are ones between me and famliy members that we both add things too, it never made sense for them to be separated). However, now that they are shared, the tags being mixed in with my own is a real problem (not so much the family notebooks now, more one's like spg scott's one). We either need an option to turn off shared tags appearing in our own tag list (whether in all notes or all my notes), or, ideally, to be able to edit tags in shared notebooks so I can just use one set that I'm familar with and have control over.

As a shared notebook owner, which does have tags, this is something that I am thinking about. (especially after seeing similar mixing of tags in the WP version as well)

I think the tags help from a usability perspective, but I don't particularly want to start adding tags to other user's lists. By joining the notebook they have decided that they want the shared notebook, but the tags are a little more intrusive, and possibly something that may put people off the notebook.

I guess it doesn't help that the notes aren't tagged perfectly (I think there are some that don't have tags, or are missing some etc.)

Right now, I am leaning towards removing the tags from the notebook, and leaving it as just the navigation note and maybe some keywords or something to include in the notes themselves.

What do you think?

Also, courtesy of Peter, there is another registry option for those that may want it... ShowLeftPaneSeparators ;)

Now that I have switched between the two, I notice that the separators have a weird (well, to me) effect.

Without them it looks like the different items take up a lot more space, but with them, they look more compact. Even though the take up the same space pretty much.

I have to say, I find it much easier to read through them etc. with the separators. :)

• Level 5*
Right now, I am leaning towards removing the tags from the notebook, and leaving it as just the navigation note and maybe some keywords or something to include in the notes themselves.

What do you think?

I don't mind the tags being there. I just want a way to separate the various cases: My Notebooks, Joined Notebooks, and All Notebooks

Also, courtesy of Peter, there is another registry option for those that may want it... ShowLeftPaneSeparators ;)

Do you have Peter on speed-dial? :)

What do you think?

I don't mind the tags being there. I just want a way to separate the various cases: My Notebooks, Joined Notebooks, and All Notebooks

Yeah, I guess, I think the combination of the Business version and this new change are responsible, because you get the situation where you see "Tags from Personal"

I'm just wary of filling other peoples carefully constructed hierarchy of 5 billion levels of tags with mine :P

Do you have Peter on speed-dial? :)

It is that /Peter parameter remember? The one where it lets you communicate directly with him and get the builds that he is working on :P

What do you think?

I'd definitely appreciate keywords in the articles or titles rather than tags, and it seems like a lot of people are leaving shared notebooks because of it too so I think it'd probably be quite popular.

And I'll have a look at the registry option too, thanks :)

Why did this go GA when a large percentage of the testers are not even comfortable that the changes are usable, and even operating correctly? This is the largest thread for beta's that I (in my possibly limited experience) have ever seen! A Christmas present?? Mess up everybody for the Christmas holidays, when they are trying to get everything done for year end?

Is there a bonus to EN writers for number of changes delivered? Trying to wrap up for year end?

I have advised my connections not to accept Evernote Windows updates until I say so.

Might be after year end before all this is sorted out. Why was this put out on the unsuspecting public yet, when we were just discussing the layout a few days ago?

After what we've just seen take place, I know I would depend my business on Evernote Business, yeah, right!

That sucks, but with EN, it isn't a huge deal. Just install the latest client and log in. It will pull your data from the cloud. the only hassle is reconfiguring the few preferences (tool bar, sync settings, etc). I really wish those preferences were stored in the cloud with all of my notes.

Yeah, and what about all those cryptic registry changes? Are they gone now that EN was removed unexpectedly?

• Level 5*
Why did this go GA when a large percentage of the testers are not even comfortable that the changes are usable, and even operating correctly?

How do you know the number of testers for the beta? You're just seeing people in the forum who've tested the beta, and a lot of us are repeat posters.

This is the largest thread for beta's that I (in my possibly limited experience) have ever seen! A Christmas present?? Mess up everybody for the Christmas holidays, when they are trying to get everything done for year end?

Is there a bonus to EN writers for number of changes delivered? Trying to wrap up for year end?

Probably more related to Evernote Business, is my guess.

I have advised my connections not to accept Evernote Windows updates until I say so.

Some people opt for stability, that's fine.

Might be after year end before all this is sorted out. Why was this put out on the unsuspecting public yet, when we were just discussing the layout a few days ago?

How else are the public supposed to get it? This was deemed to be a GA release. And we, the forum users, can discuss all we want, but it's all just talk in the forums; sometimes it makes a difference, but likely the design and layout were set awhile ago.

Probably more related to Evernote Business, is my guess.

I can confirm that Evernote for Windows 4.6.0 is as we're calling it, "Business Ready." Meaning if you're signed up for Evernote Business, use 4.6.0 or later

In reply to...

Sort of difficult to opt for any stability when a GA goes out knowing it is causing a lot of problems. So, it's not really fine for any that "opt" for stability. Nice for those running a business who don't care if they have a business, or at least whether it operates, though!

• Level 5*

I've been using it, it works fine for me, and I'd recommend it to people. I don't think the mixing of the notebooks is working as well as it could, and I hope we get this sorted out, but it isn't unstable, is it? It just seems potentially confusing in its current state.

In reply to...

Sort of difficult to opt for any stability when a GA goes out knowing it is causing a lot of problems. So, it's not really fine for any that "opt" for stability. Nice for those running a business who don't care if they have a business, or at least whether it operates, though!

So let's be clear, you're talking about stability as in "resistance to change" rather than reliability (lack of bugs, data loss, etc). It seems like your software to be very resistant to change.

• Level 5*

Sorry, should have been clear, I use F5 as my search hot key.

In reply to...

So let's be clear, you're talking about stability as in "resistance to change" rather than reliability (lack of bugs, data loss, etc). It seems like your software to be very resistant to change.

Oh, wow! Has the old "resistance to change" card been played? That's a term used many times for many years when chaos is inflicted on the user community without thought out/tested out usability impact. There were many concerns over surprise changes that impacted experienced user usability, but BANG, it went GA

onto the whole population. People have hundreds of hours invested in learning to use this product, and they listed major impacts, but GA!!

Are your developers heavy Evernote users? I note that one of our great beta people left the beta because his life was disrupted by some seemingly arbitrary changes. I'm running into this type situation more and more, not just with Evernote, I've seen what was/is happening on the Mac side. Not pretty.

The community must continue to be able to use the product without major disruption, surely.

Evernote is now marketing to business, unless I missed something. If a change greatly alters usability, causes loss of productivity, ignores continuity of existing users, causes many people to be stressed, then the change might be suspect. No? Wonder why one of the car companies doesn't just move the steering wheel to the other side, anyway. Why not change?

Or were you really asking?

I've noticed people, and I'll bet that only a small percent of users even know about this forum, that are pointing out

a lot of "reliability (lack of bugs, data loss, etc)." problems lately, including "dataloss" and "bugs", or am I seeing things?

I've been the tech lead in IT for over 35 years. I've seen the people that make changes, just because they like it. That might get by for a non-mission critical piece of software, but still not good, but Evernote now has taken over peoples lives, and now their businesses. Evernote is now "mission critical" (this is a big business term for "required to operate"). Changes surely need to be "upward compatible", which is a term that IBM mainframe systems people all know. The skill set of the thousands to millions of users surely should not be thrown into chaos due to a whim of some developer to make it look pretty in their opinion, etc., without heavy consideration as to what is being left out due to the changes, that worked fine before.

I could go on, but let me know if you need additional info. I would say that I mean that we expect and need both reliability and continued upward usability without arbitrary changes causing user disruption.

• Level 5*

I have been following all the betas, and I don't recall a hue and cry over changes to the Windows interface. In fact, if you don't have shared notebooks, you might not even know that there were any changes made.

Could you be more specific? Is this a general complaint about recent betas over the last few months causing data loss? Indeed, previous betas and releases have have resulted in data loss, and I know some people have chosen not to participate in the betas. Evernote staff acknowledged the problems, and I understand that they reviewed the process to make sure it doesn't happen. If you are talking about this, it seems unclear if this applies to the current release.

Or, is it a specific criticism of this beta? If so, what is wrong with it?

• Level 5*

OK, as far as I know, the answer's no. The standard search shortcut key F6 (or Ctrl + Alt + F; If search box is empty, move focus to it, otherwise start search and move to first highlighted keyword), uses "All Notebooks" as its search context. As far as I know, there's no way to use "All My Notes" as the default search context for this situation, or in saved searches, nor will the "All My Notes" context be retained if you try to make a saved search from a hand-constructed "All My Notes" search -- there's no way to specify it in the search grammar. Sort of what I've been aiming at with my comments in this thread.

For your case, maybe a new modified search key, à la Shift+F6, could specify a new "All My Notes" search context, which might be a fairly quick fix, but the other issue is one of changing the search grammar, which I know is a larger undertaking.

Oh, wow! Has the old "resistance to change" card been played?

Sounds like a Magic the Gathering reference... but anyways...

In this release we added the ability to stack Joined Notebooks, including the ability to stack them alongside your own notebooks. This is a very powerful feature for many users of Joined Notebooks. If you say, share a notebook for groceries or weekend chores with your husband or wife, it wasn't very useful to have this notebook relegated to a separate tab that you had to remember to go visit. This also brings us slightly closer to the structure of the new Mac client. It makes some workflows more consistent if you use both clients, but I would say it's only a step (perhaps baby step) in the direction of "consistency across clients."

If you didn't have any Joined Notebooks, you don't see a difference. We actually give you back some vertical space by removing the Tab. Well technically, there isn't a change for you if you don't any Joined Notebooks or Business Notebooks. Anyone signing up for Evernote Business can download the latest public version (4.6.0) and they'll see their business notebooks, be able to use the increased quota, see the Business Library, etc. So this isn't a "let's move things around on a whim" decision.

That being said, I'm very grateful for all the feedback we get. I'll try not to be snippy (especially snippy with typos and missing words). Not to be too prescriptive, but I've found specific feedback coupled with the context to be most useful. Things like, "The Shared Tab seems makes some notebooks feel really far away. I keep forgetting to check the groceries notebook my wife sent me because the new notes she makes don't show up under 'All Notes' and we keep getting into arguments."

I'm not sure where to make this particular recommendation but one eventual feature, something that's tripped me up a few times and I can see being even more important with the new business offering, is when visually I think a note is highlighted in the list-view and hitting 'delete' and its actually the keyword pane that has the focus and I delete the keyword. I've done this a few times and not realizing what has happened right away I later go back and think 'uh oh, what happened to that keyword' .. would be nice if you could 'lock' the keyword pane to stop mistaken deletes. There might have been a warning dialog at one point but I am not sure how to get it back if it once existed (might have had a 'dont show this again' box on it).

Dave

I'm not sure where to make this particular recommendation but one eventual feature, something that's tripped me up a few times and I can see being even more important with the new business offering, is when visually I think a note is highlighted in the list-view and hitting 'delete' and its actually the keyword pane that has the focus and I delete the keyword. I've done this a few times and not realizing what has happened right away I later go back and think 'uh oh, what happened to that keyword' .. would be nice if you could 'lock' the keyword pane to stop mistaken deletes. There might have been a warning dialog at one point but I am not sure how to get it back if it once existed (might have had a 'dont show this again' box on it).

Dave

Are you trying to delete a note and accidentally deleting a keyword? Or does this involve accidentally hitting the delete key?

I'd definitely appreciate keywords in the articles or titles rather than tags, and it seems like a lot of people are leaving shared notebooks because of it too so I think it'd probably be quite popular.

And I'll have a look at the registry option too, thanks :)

Yeah, I think I will remove the tags, while they can be useful (and some are to me as well) I really don't want to start randomly filling in other people's tag lists. (No matter how well Jeff thinks I tag :P)

Also, if you do play around with the registry setting, make sure to exit Evernote first, via File - Quit.

• Level 5*

That being said, I'm very grateful for all the feedback we get. I'll try not to be snippy (especially snippy with typos and missing words). Not to be too prescriptive, but I've found specific feedback coupled with the context to be most useful. Things like, "The Shared Tab seems makes some notebooks feel really far away. I keep forgetting to check the groceries notebook my wife sent me because the new notes she makes don't show up under 'All Notes' and we keep getting into arguments."

OK. The lack of a Vertical List View on the iPad and iOS clients makes me feel really unsafe. I keep forgetting to check the notes that Master Chief shared with me because all I see are cards, and I cannot see the content of my notes, so I keep dropping into hot zones and getting into firefights with Covenant forces. As you can see, this is a matter of life and death for me, so please convince your fellow pachyderms to implement this :)

As for Windows, well it is pretty much perfect (with the exception of the very, very confusing search quirks going on). My one pet peeve at the moment is that the scroll is really sensitive and it is very difficult to move through notes. I am not kidding, and it is something I have no problems with in any other app. It is really difficult to move around. BUT, one obvious explanation for this might be that I am running Evernote on Windows 8 through Parallels on my Macbook Air. Things are sometimes a little funky. I hate using my netbook, but I might fire it up and see if I have the same problems there in a native version of Windows. This problem isn't life-threatening, but it is a constant irritation.

OK. The lack of a Vertical List View on the iPad and iOS clients makes me feel really unsafe. I keep forgetting to check the notes that Master Chief shared with me because all I see are cards, and I cannot see the content of my notes, so I keep dropping into hot zones and getting into firefights with Covenant forces. As you can see, this is a matter of life and death for me, so please convince your fellow pachyderms to implement this :)

As for Windows, well it is pretty much perfect (with the exception of the very, very confusing search quirks going on). My one pet peeve at the moment is that the scroll is really sensitive and it is very difficult to move through notes. I am not kidding, and it is something I have no problems with in any other app. It is really difficult to move around. BUT, one obvious explanation for this might be that I am running Evernote on Windows 8 through Parallels on my Macbook Air. Things are sometimes a little funky. I hate using my netbook, but I might fire it up and see if I have the same problems there in a native version of Windows. This problem isn't life-threatening, but it is a constant irritation.

LOL. Best thing post... possibly ever.

Dave

Are you trying to delete a note and accidentally deleting a keyword? Or does this involve accidentally hitting the delete key?

Trying to delete the note, it happens mostly when I'm multitasking between different apps. I'll click a note, then I'll click a tag (that note happens to have that tag) so what's on the screen is a note that's highlighted (albiet a faded highlight) and a keyword that has the more pronounced highlight. If I don't think about it switching back and I hit 'delete' after I refocus the Evernote window I can accidently delete the tag instead of the note. It's subtle and fortunately doesn't happen very often, but it has happened enough that I've deleted a few tags accidently.

I realize this is operator error if anything, but I wonder if tags should be a little bit more fail-safe since deleting a note you can pull out of the trash, but deleting a tag can be a bit of a headache to recover from.

Dave

• Level 5*

OK, as far as I know, the answer's no. The standard search shortcut key F6 (or Ctrl + Alt + F; If search box is empty, move focus to it, otherwise start search and move to first highlighted keyword), uses "All Notebooks" as its search context. As far as I know, there's no way to use "All My Notes" as the default search context for this situation, or in saved searches, nor will the "All My Notes" context be retained if you try to make a saved search from a hand-constructed "All My Notes" search -- there's no way to specify it in the search grammar. Sort of what I've been aiming at with my comments in this thread.

For your case, maybe a new modified search key, à la Shift+F6, could specify a new "All My Notes" search context, which might be a fairly quick fix, but the other issue is one of changing the search grammar, which I know is a larger undertaking.

I guess the point is if you have shared notebooks it is like your tags were put in a blender and which notebooks are in your search target is just a bit off center.

Relative to bugs I stopped participating in pre releases after data was destroyed, a couple back I think. Also, different platform, i use the iPad version and I don't think I've had many sessions where EN hasn't ended abruptly and requests to send an error report when I bring it back up. If a product expounds on being multi-platform it needs to be "nice" on als those platforms.

I've been using EN for almost 3 years now and I get more gain than pain, not going anywhere. But I would say the last 6 months do not point to a company with a QA process to support that 100 year vision, IMHO.

MIs-posted this the first time.

While the "All My Notes" works for some things, if I go to search (Shft+Ctrl+S), I am default searching in the "NOTEBOOKS" category. If the default search was in "ALL MY NOTES", that would be a solution. I hate going to search and seeing all these stupid tags belonging to other people polluting my crisp organized tag trees. Also if I double click a tag to see all notes belonging to that tag, it brings in all the other tags as well. It makes it harder to find my tags, and also makes it harder to find things by searching in notebooks that I don't want to search in.

Evernote, please give us the option to place the defaults in "ALL MY NOTES", or to separate the joined notebooks from our personal ones, or to opt out of the other person's tagging system. Joined notebooks are not a massive part of the way everyone uses your product.

Oh, wow! Has the old "resistance to change" card been played?

Sounds like a Magic the Gathering reference... but anyways...

In this release we added the ability to stack Joined Notebooks, including the ability to stack them alongside your own notebooks. This is a very powerful feature for many users of Joined Notebooks. If you say, share a notebook for groceries or weekend chores with your husband or wife, it wasn't very useful to have this notebook relegated to a separate tab that you had to remember to go visit. This also brings us slightly closer to the structure of the new Mac client. It makes some workflows more consistent if you use both clients, but I would say it's only a step (perhaps baby step) in the direction of "consistency across clients."

If you didn't have any Joined Notebooks, you don't see a difference. We actually give you back some vertical space by removing the Tab. Well technically, there isn't a change for you if you don't any Joined Notebooks or Business Notebooks. Anyone signing up for Evernote Business can download the latest public version (4.6.0) and they'll see their business notebooks, be able to use the increased quota, see the Business Library, etc. So this isn't a "let's move things around on a whim" decision.

Well, I guess y'all fixed the husband wife thing real good by throwing in a not thought out change (looks obvious from comments) into PRODUCTION, and disrupted the use of the product for many, when everything was sort of working before.

It was known that this change was not working properly before the change was made PRODUCTION. I have shared notebooks that are about Evernote use, that are created by other people, that I don't even know. Should their "stuff" have been thrown into My Stuff?. If people have a grocery list, maybe they need to use Remember The Milk - I thought it was stated that Evernote was not going to be a due date system, or some such.

In any case, I have been following the Mac 5 change, and it looks to be a huge mess, and the Mac people (Bless their hearts), don't seem to even be able to find all their stuff. Oh, and if we're trying to make this a Mac application, I would ask why you're not wondering if we wanted Mac, why we wouldn't be on one. You're scaring me! They seem to choose looks over function, no?

Maybe we need Notebook levels like Mine, Ours, and Theirs, or equivalent designations, that would let levels of search be set.

Like Owned, Attached, Monitored Only, Connected, Pinned, or Linked (Linked might not imply current interest, etc., and help the poor people now having major, unexpected tag inclusion and search issues).

Archived