Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Windows 4.6.0 Beta 2

evernote

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Hello people of Windows,

We have a 4.6.0 Beta 2 that has some new installer processes that we need help field testing. Our internal tests haven't run into any issues, but we'd like it to see some time in the field to be sure. We also have some minor fixes, for example we have a fix for tags disappearing (and reappearing when you re-size the left panel).

We have a known issue with the Internet Explorer clipper, it seems to not launch/clip properly. We will try to push out a fix very soon for this.

If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,783 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

OK, seemed to install fine, quicker than yesterdays. 3 UACs, thought it was usually 2.

So, first impression: a saved search that operates over all notebooks really does now search over all notebooks, including joined notebooks. Once you're in all notebooks, you cannot switch back to All My Notebooks from the search info dropdown, and if you select All My Notebooks from the notebook list, you lose your search terms. Still think it'd be useful to be able distinguish in the grammar whether you want All Notebooks, All My Notebooks, and maybe also All Joined Notebooks. And the search info dropdown could use an All My Notebooks entry.

thanks dlu and the Windows dev types, too.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#3 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

If I am understanding correctly how the searches are working, then they no longer work the same across the clients if you have joined notebooks. In Windows it works one way (sometimes searches joined notebooks), in Mac another (always searches joined notebooks), and in iOS yet another (no search of joined notebooks). Advanced users might be able to cope with the inconsistencies, but maybe not in the way you want: I left all of my joined notebooks except for one so that my iOS and Mac search results would return the same results.

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional. I recommend sticking with it on every client and perhaps following Jefito's suggestions.

Did I understand the situation correctly? For a while we had no note counts in iOS and Mac, so I may have misinterpreted my own tests a couple of weeks ago when I had more shared notebooks.

#4 dlu

dlu

• 2,415 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional.

This might just be due to some of us reading all of those iOS and Mac threads right before bed
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

#5 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I thought it seemed to install quicker than I remember it doing so previously. That's a good sign :)

You also changed it to stop the tags collapsing when you changed between shared notebooks too.

Thanks!

Scott

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,215 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Out of the three, Windows, as usual, is the most flexible and functional.

This might just be due to some of us reading all of those iOS and Mac threads right before bed

At least your team gets to go to bed. The poor OSX and iOS folks won't ever get any sleep, and if they do, instead of dreaming about sugarplums dancing in their heads, they'll have nightmares about back buttons and list views following them down the streets like the Walking Dead.

#7 Marfa

Marfa

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Can anyone give me evernote.msi from v. 4.5.10. 'Cause I lost this temp file and can't upgrade my installation Posted Image

#8 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Love the removal of the shared tab notebook, and the minor aesthetic changes. Installed perfectly, both yesterday's version and today's (268148).

It's hard for me to work with, however. I'm seeing the hourglass far more than I used to. I've had to close and reopen the program a couple of times in the last hour because it was getting stuck on importing a 2-page PDF into a note.

A problem I'd been seeing for awhile seems to have gotten worse. If I have a graphic or a file -- a Word doc, for example -- embedded in a note, and I delete it that embedded file, the program takes a long time -- up to a minute -- to allow me to insert a replacement graphic or doc into it.

I'm running XP SP3 on an old computer with plenty of RAM and have 8,200 notes at this point, which may help explain the lag. EN was responding significantly faster before this upgrade, though.

Thanks,
Lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#9 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

One more bug, happened twice: Pasted formatted text into a note and Undo, Ctrl-Z, didn't work to unpaste it.

Thanks,
lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#10 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Have we lost the ability to have the note panel on the right-hand side? It is now below the list, which I find to be less efficient as my rectangular screen is horizontal rather than vertical ...

#11 dlu

dlu

• 2,415 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

You mean on theleft hand side? We haven't changed that

#12 jefito

jefito

• 10,783 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Have we lost the ability to have the note panel on the right-hand side? It is now below the list, which I find to be less efficient as my rectangular screen is horizontal rather than vertical ...

There are a couple of secret methods available in the client. Courtesy of spg SCOTT:
* use the shortcut Ctrl+ Shift + F5, or...
* Hold down the Shift key while clicking on the List option in the View selection dropdown

Both of these toggle between horizontal and vertical list views.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#13 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

There are a couple of secret methods available in the client. Courtesy of spg SCOTT:
* use the shortcut Ctrl+ Shift + F5, or...

Thank you Jefito, and thank you Scott! Back to being a happy camper with Evernote!

#14 jefito

jefito

• 10,783 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Scott's the main man for that stuff. I think you should be able to link to his Evernote Help notebook using this link: http://http://www.ev...t/evernote-help
~Jeff

#15 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

:blush: I have Scott's notebook shared in EN - just didn't think to look there ... :rolleyes:

#16 martynpie

martynpie

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

If I have clicked on a Saved Search (from my shortcut bar), then just want to switch to "All Notes" by clicking on its icon in the left hand tree view, it takes several clicks:

First click: a brief flicker, and then the next panel shows that instead of going straight to All Notes, it's kept MOST of my saved search, apart from switching the notebook it's meant to be using to "All Notes"

Second click: Same again

Third click: Same again

Fourth click: Displays All Notes.

#17 jefito

jefito

• 10,783 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Here's a glitch: From the Notebooks pane, I dragged "All My Notes" to the Favorites bar. When I dropped it there, a button labelled "4294967294" was created on the Favorites bar. It appears to do nothing.

Another related problem, which may have existed before: if you drag a stack from the Notebooks panel to the Favorites bar, you get a button labelled with the first notebook in the stack.
~Jeff

#18 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,215 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Here's a glitch: From the Notebooks pane, I dragged "All My Notes" to the Favorites bar. When I dropped it there, a button labelled "4294967294" was created on the Favorites bar. It appears to do nothing.

Another related problem, which may have existed before: if you drag a stack from the Notebooks panel to the Favorites bar, you get a button labelled with the first notebook in the stack.

We were having GUID numbers displaying in the bar last version. Maybe it is cropping up in this beta in a different way.

#19 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

That is something that GM reported in the previous version, though it was with the notebooks dropdown menu that he saw it I think.
Peter mentioned that it may be related to a registry entry, but I think he may have also said that it should be fixed.

EDIT...to fast Grumpy, too fast :P

#20 jefito

jefito

• 10,783 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I remember the number (-2 in 32-bit signed integer), just wanted to report the different context. Not sure that I'd call is a GUID proper, which tend to be quite large numbers (128 bits), but I would have guessed it's some sort of temporary stand-in for a notebook identifier (because of the -2). Anyways, yeah.
~Jeff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote