(Archived) Evernote 5.0.1 Direct Download Release

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey Mac Evernoters!

It's only been a few weeks since 5.0.0 has gone live, but we wanted to let you know that we are listening to your feedback. We've added a lot of great stuff as well as some much needed bug fixes to this release. Let us know how you like it!

Release Notes

New Features

- Drag-and-drop Notes onto Notebooks and Tags in the Sidebar

- Added an option to show Note counts in the Sidebar

- Added a Trash button to the Note Editor

Other Improvements

- Fixed Local Notebook creation

- Fixed "notebook:" and "tag:" searching

- Better high-DPI image handling in the Note Editor

- Reduced CPU/memory usage

- Various bug and localization fixes

NOTE: This is a direct download release only ( http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac ). The Mac App Store will be getting updated shortly.

57 replies to this idea

I love the fact that you can click on the All Notes bar to return you to the top of the snippet list, a la iOS.

But might not this space also include a return of the back/forward arrows on the left, balancing the drop-down menus on the right? The toolbar would thus still be left in its pure virgin state, while those who mourn the loss of the arrows would be restored to full shape-shifting potency.

Thank you again for the great improvements so far in 5.0.1.

Multi-note selecting is showing the wrong thumbnails in the select pane. I selected a bunch of notes, the thumbnails appeared in their little pile, tagged them, and moved onto the next bunch of notes. From them on, every time I selected notes, I'd see the thumbnails from the original set of notes. But everything is still be tagged properly nonetheless.

• Level 5

JC - Tag issue noted and reproduced. Working on it. Thanks!

tardis - Can't reproduce your thumbnailing issue. What OS are you using?

JM - This is just a different way of accomplishing navigating to a notebook

1. Click the big Notebooks button on the left panel

2. Start typing the name of a notebook

3. Select the notebook with your arrow keys

4. Hit enter

Alternatively, you could

1. Hit CMD-J

2. Start typing the name of a notebook

3. Select the notebook with your arrow keys

4. Hit enter

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Now that note counts have been restored, adding Trash as a shortcut in the Sidebar makes sense.

But it would be nice if we could see the return of the Erase All Notes button inside the Trash.

Doing a cmd-A Select All to select multiple notes and then choosing Erase Selected Notes from the popup window seems like too much work, particularly given that this action is followed by the confirmation dialog which means there is little danger of us erasing notes in error.

Also, it would be helpful if we could insert draggable shallow separators between shortcuts in the Sidebar, perhaps by adding this as an option when ctrl-clicking the Shortcuts header. I think Trash at least merits a little separation.

The fact you haven't fixed bulleting and pasting is absolutely dumbfounding. This is a beta product still.

Yes there is some way to go but the fact they have added back things that some people may consider as clutter (note counts), is a very good sign.

This is a note taking app. It should be very good at taking notes first and everything else second.

This is a note taking app for you. For me it's a project/graphic archive/database. For someone else its something different. That's the brilliance of EN. The downside is there are many competing priorities for each group of users. I personally would put bullets way down on my list. Not saying it shouldn't happen, just suggesting you broaden you view of the app.

Hughjc

Hi,

First of all congrats on the dev team, keep up the good work!

However even if there is some progress on the note localisation issue, it is still far from functional as far as i'm concerned: there is still no way to manually delete or edit the GPS position of a note, either by entering an address or the longitude/latitude.

This is really annoying since it was part of the previous version and is a big part of my Evernote workflow.

Please tell me you are working on this and it will be available soon in 5.0.2 ;)

Thanks!

Fabien

JC - Tag issue noted and reproduced. Working on it. Thanks!

On a related note, I created a new note, then I created a new notebook. I dragged the note to the new notebook. I synced, and while the note appear under "All notes" as being in the correct notebook, it wouldn't appear inside of that notebook (when I opened the notebook). Quitting the app and restarting resolved the problem, but I figured this might could be related to the disappearing dragged-tag behavior I reported earlier.

Much Thanks for the return of Drag and Drop Notes, Note Counts, and trash button. GOOD!!

PLEASE: Bring Back & Forth Arrow Toggle - IT IS KILLING PRODUCTIVITY FOR PEOPLE WHO USE NOTE LINKS.

If you use note links within a note - it is very easy inadvertently or intentionally click a note link - to find you are now on the liked note, but now your stuck trying to go back manually to find the prime note (find the notebook, find the note; go to all notes and hopefully find it within a sorted by update). Makes painful.

PLEASE RETURN - at least give me the option.

Much Thanks for the return of Drag and Drop Notes, Note Counts, and trash button. GOOD!!

PLEASE: Bring Back & Forth Arrow Toggle - IT IS KILLING PRODUCTIVITY FOR PEOPLE WHO USE NOTE LINKS.

As mentioned elsewhere try this workaround 'Pressing the command key while clicking a note-link opens the note in a new window (as does holding command while double-clicking a note).'

Mike, much thanks I do appreciate the work around (and took from previous). I am really commenting to an error or bad decision to remove this capability. The strength of Evernote was/is its simplicity.

To me, it feels like the additional key strokes and loss of functionality take you/your focus from creation and flow - resulting in interrupted thoughts and activities necessary to generate or produce the idea; multiple points of distraction or interrupted in thought, flow, and focus. Very minor visual cues / references support accelerated performance. Seems to me that the decision is one of esthetics over the capabilities and personalizations.

It seems to me this version, while improving and has good features, its certainly not as efficient as the older version. I did not upgrade laptop from previous version and very glad that I did not.

My initial experience with 5.0 was awful. Made the mistake of upgrading before backing up! As soon as I could figure it out, used http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/ to roll-back to v3.3. This time I backed up first out of fear that my notes would be lost but it was ok. Nothing lost, not even recent changes.

It doesn't look quite the same as what I am used to but it is so much better than trying to adjust to 5.0.

One thing I am missing though is the field to add a URL. Is this the most recent version before mac 5.0? Or was there one in between? Or did I somehow add that field myself & have forgotten how I did it?

Also can't seem to manage a permanent font resize.

Jackolicious:

1. Saved search: how can I find it and move to shortcuts? Sorry, but I have no idea how to do it...

2. Is there any way to create a search matching "any" (not all) criteria? Imagine I want to find all notes with TAGs "idea" OR "search"

Now I can find only those having TAGs "idea" AND "search". Evernote has this option on Windows.

Many thanks for help :)

Andy

Many thanks for help in advance

1. Saved search: how can I find it and move to shortcuts? Sorry, but I have no idea how to do it...

I can answer your first question. Your saved searches are in the search bar on the top right hand side of the screen. Just click on the search bar and when it drops down to reveal your saved searches, click and drag one of them to the Shortcuts section.

@Annapolis Have you watched the developer videos? Take a look at this 20:30 http://bit.ly/QYXFEw

So hopefully anything apparently 'removed' will be refound?

Mike - I hope so. I listened to the video (the entire video and the discussion at 20.:30 2x) - the current design is contrary to/inconsistent the discussion; especially the first few minutes. Especially the first few minutes. I discussed the Back & Forth Arrows above - so lets discuss moving tags.

Moving tags - Previously you could select the tag hold it and drag the tag to make superior or subordinate across with other tags (select and drag). The current version: a. move away from the tag you are working; b. select tags; c. find the tag you want to move; d. move the tag to the tag/tag level (since the tags do not automatically open when selected; if the new desired tag is 2 or 3 levels down - doubled or tripled process); e since the moved tag does not come up/become visible - you have to get out and get back in. It is really a terrible, frustrating process - so select and drag has turned in to a multi-step; thought distracting process. Not good.

I very rarely take time out to discuss products - but I found this product so empowering, such a great tool, so many uses - it is an exception. I have recommended so many to use it; leverage it across product teams - that I am so very disappointed about the loss of productivity.

I hope for sake of "UI much more visually compelling and impactful - that felt simpler without actually removing anything, was easier to do things more quickly without adding more stuff to the screen, feeling of simplicity but actually giving people quicker ways to do things" ...that Evernote has not "jumped the shark"

One thing I am missing though is the field to add a URL. Is this the most recent version before mac 5.0? Or was there one in between? Or did I somehow add that field myself & have forgotten how I did it?

Ok, I figured out font resizing.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the URL field?

Ok, I figured out font resizing.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the URL field?

When I open a note, click on the "i"; there is a field to add the URL (the note history is there ...if you have never used - note history can be a lifesaver (a mini-"Time-Capsule")

fiery, the URL can be edited in the Note Info popover. Click the i in the Note Editor.

Thanks folks.

In my brief flirtation with 5.0, I didn't spot any sharing button. As this was the thing I was working on right before I made the leap it popped out for me. I know it has to be there somewhere because my shared notebooks had a notation, I just didn't spot it in the time I gave 5.0.

What about saved searches? In 5.0.0 that was changed and I could not figure it out, or maybe there wasn't even that feature any more. Another reason I rolled back and am hesitant to re-try.

Can I just say:

Awesome, thank you. And it even works with tags in Shortcuts.

...Ugh. Do I really have that many notes in my Inbox to process? I think I might prefer the blissful ignorance of no note counts.

...Ugh. Do I really have that many notes in my Inbox to process? I think I might prefer the blissful ignorance of no note counts.

LOL reminds me of a problem with my inbox a few weeks ago. It was only updating every 40 minutes, got way more done in between.

The fact you haven't fixed bulleting and pasting is absolutely dumbfounding. This is a beta product still.

Yes there is some way to go but the fact they have added back things that some people may consider as clutter (note counts), is a very good sign.

This is a note taking app. It should be very good at taking notes first and everything else second.

Hey Mac Evernoters!

It's only been a few weeks since 5.0.0 has gone live, but we wanted to let you know that we are listening to your feedback. We've added a lot of great stuff as well as some much needed bug fixes to this release. Let us know how you like it!

Release Notes

New Features

- Drag-and-drop Notes onto Notebooks and Tags in the Sidebar

- Added a Trash button to the Note Editor

Other Improvements

- Fixed Local Notebook creation

- Fixed "notebook:" and "tag:" searching

- Better high-DPI image handling in the Note Editor

- Reduced CPU/memory usage

- Various bug and localization fixes

NOTE: This is a direct download release only ( http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac ). The Mac App Store will be getting updated shortly.

Jack, thank you for having a direct download as well as through the App Store. I know people who'd like a copy without going through the App Store. Thanks for bringing it back.

How about the customizing of the menu bar at the top? When I tried the Beta 5.0.0 that ability had been removed. In particular I used a single click to Delete a note. Also a single click to Print. With the Beta version it took more clicks.

What about an update of the User Guide for Mac? When should we expect that? Not the quick start stuff, and not the videos, since they do not actually explain how to do stuff.

And if I did update to Evernote 5.0.1 and did not like it, can I revert back to 3.3.0 or would I be stuck with 5.0.1? I already have a good facility with 3.3.0 and I would not want to lose the ability to go back to it.

Thanks in advance.

Good to see some stuff getting put back where they belong. I'm not going back up to v5 until it's at least as good as v3.3 that I rolled back to, though.

When you say Notes can be dragged to Tags - have you replaced the reverse function too - dragging tags onto notes, like the previous version can?

What about Toolbar configuration - is that back in yet?

I don't want to appear churlish, and I do recognise that you are responding to feedback here - thanks for that. But there are still some major features that were removed and need to go back in before I'd even consider upgrading again.

Just wanted to let you know that I've noticed that tags will disappear when changing the hierarchy (placing them under other tags). A quit and restart seems to bring them back, but if you change the hierarchy (for other tags), those tags disappear too. Let me know if you want the activity log for it.

Just wanted to let you know that I've noticed that tags will disappear when changing the hierarchy (placing them under other tags). A quit and restart seems to bring them back, but if you change the hierarchy (for other tags), those tags disappear too.

Confirmed. I see the same issue, and restart solution.

• Level 5*

This is a good place to start if you are wondering what is and isn't in OSX.

http://evernote.com/.../whats_new/mac/

On this page it states:

Timesaving new features

Quickly filter out notebooks or tags by clicking the left navigation button, then immediately typing the filter word

I don't see the "left navigation button", and does it really mean "filter out", as in "exclude" notebooks and tags?

• Level 5*

@Jackolicious: "NightStalker - Yes, tags can be dragged to notes as well."

Thank you - a most definite step in the right direction :)

Configurable toolbar next, maybe? :wub:

I think I am with Jackolicious on this toolbar thing. Frankly, I don't care if it is configurable or not. Lots of great apps don't have them. BUT, I expect to have the functions I need available somewhere, and not just stripped out.

We need a back button, or a keyboard shortcut alternative, for example. And, if the toolbar is going to have so few functions (there is almost nothing left in it), but please make it smaller. I am sure it is fine on a brand new 27" iMac (coming out this week), but on an 11" Macbook Air it is a terrific waste of space in my opinion. Give us a keyboard shortcut that brings up the global search when the toolbar is hidden, and I'll just turn the toolbar off and never see it (or complain about it) again :)

Not just a back button though, given that the way people use EN can be quite different from each other. Hence the configurability.

I have, on my v3.3 toolbar, from left to right:

Account at far left end

Space

Sync

New Note

Delete

Search box

Forwards and Backwards buttons

All Notes

View options

Usage

Activity

Print

Space to the far right end

From "Sync" to "Print" - all those are grouped together in the middle

Everything that I do is pretty well one click away.

In the left pane, are the Notebooks (incl numbers), the Tags(incl numbers), the Saved Searches, and the Sync Status/Activity at the bottom.

In the new version, almost ALL of that is missing and can't be replaced, except for those things in the left pane.

Given that the configurability of the toolbar is ALMOST an Apple standard (apart from Chrome), I still fail to see WHY that functionality has been removed. It was already there. It worked. I don't know how many times I've asked - but WHY remove stuff at all?

I remain totally baffled by that one.

• Level 5*

A lot of those features can be accessed via shortcut keys, though, so I am OK with them going away as icons. Notational Velocity, for example, has no toolbar at all, and it works beautifully. So, I am OK with changes made to the UI if the functionality remains. One click or one keyboard shortcut, it's all the same to me. However, when we lose functions like the back arrow, then I get grumpy.

In the end, though, if our toolbar takes up the same amount of space, but brings us no unique functionality beyond the search bar, I don't see the point of it myself.

Archived