(Archived) Evernote as Home Inventory

Well I gave EN a good go at creating a home inventory, it does an OK job but eventually I had to give up and return to the app I was using before, MyStuff, much as I would like to use EN for everything, just some things cannot be done better.

With a dedicated app such as the one I mention, not only is the layout quicker and easier to navigate and make entries, but there are many other cool features such as quickly bringing up a total value of all items listed. There may be a way to do this in EN, but I don't know of it.

So, Home Inventory is added to my list of tasks done better by other apps, together with Journalling - which I use Day One for, and before everyone jumps on me - this doesn't take away from the many tasks that I rely on EN for.

As they say, horses for courses..

• Level 5*

I too like Evernote for lots of things, but use dedicated other software for specific tasks. People do ask me "what's best" for this or that, and I usually answer - "whatever works for you". Forinstance some friends have used Excel for some extreme databasing and won't hear of any other options. It would kill me to follow their processes, but if it works for them..

I'd be uncomfortable with someone wanting to use Evernote for everything anyway - there are still a couple of things that could do with tweaking...

I too like Evernote for lots of things, but use dedicated other software for specific tasks. People do ask me "what's best" for this or that, and I usually answer - "whatever works for you". Forinstance some friends have used Excel for some extreme databasing and won't hear of any other options. It would kill me to follow their processes, but if it works for them..

I'd be uncomfortable with someone wanting to use Evernote for everything anyway - there are still a couple of things that could do with tweaking...

Well said.

I like to use Evernote to "organize" all information, but not "do" everything. I mean, I'm not going to write articles, create spreadsheets, mind maps, manage tasks, etc. in Evernote but I do store the finished results of my work so that everyhing is still organized in Evernote... I mean all other apps are just for "live" temporary data, nothings is stored there permanently, Evernote is where everything ends up.

I like to use Evernote to "organize" all information, but not "do" everything. I mean, I'm not going to write articles, create spreadsheets, mind maps, manage tasks, etc. in Evernote but I do store the finished results of my work so that everyhing is still organized in Evernote... I mean all other apps are just for "live" temporary data, nothings is stored there permanently, Evernote is where everything ends up.

Very well put, Browncoat. I use Evernote everyday and wouldn't be without it. But I still use an outside task management system, online calendar, CRM and other programs for specific tasks. And love Mind Mapping for straight brainstorming but then switch to Evernote to flesh out the details of the plan.

Evernote is used for research, organizing, templating, and publishing.

Archived