Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

re your alt-printscreen ransom note

skitch

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Danielp

Danielp

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I feel like my alt-printscreen button combination has been hijacked by your software team. I'd like to get it back. I've uninstalled skitch but it's not enough.

Can I please get it back? I'll cooperate, let's just resolve this.

How much do I owe you, and what address do I send the ransom to?

Attached Files

#2 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hi Danielp, welcome to the forum :)

You know, I didn't even realise that there was this hotkey for a skitch note. So, thanks for sharing that :P

I did some digging around in the Registry, and found what I think is the entry that you need to take a look at.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\HotkeyCreateNewSkitchNote

So, the default value for this is (in Hex) is 12c which is somehow a combination of Alt (12) and Printscreen (2c) according to my first google result: http://msdn.microsof...y/ms927178.aspx :P

You can change this to something that you don't use. I don't really know what the best value for this would be, maybe someone else could help here. (To test, I set it to 0, not sure if that is used somewhere...)

So, if you would like to change the value and feel comfortable doing so:

- Before you do anything - Quit Evernote - File -> Exit

This is essential before changing anything, as EN will overwrite the settings that you changed the next time that it closes.

- Open Regedit, and change the value to what you want to use

- Close Regedit, and Open Evernote again. Try the hotkey.

I hope that this will one day make it into the Tools - Options - Hotkeys menu as it would be nice to configure that in an easier way

Scott

#3 Danielp

Danielp

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks, I changed it from 300 to 301, it worked, but I'm currious what I set it to - I guess I'll find out eventually

#4 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

That is 12d in hex and following the same logic of 12 + 2d that is Alt + Insert :P

#5 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Nice catch Scott. This should be a preferences option. My apologies if it is already and I just can't find it.

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#6 klang

klang

• Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Ah, that's a bug. Didn't mean to take that key combo hostage. It's now high up on our to-do. Thanks for the workaround, Scott.

#7 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

@klang,

Or a feature! Take it away and I'll bet you'll have a bunch of people complaining that it's gone. Instead, make it a preferences feature with a setting dialog that lets people type the keyboard sequence they want for "print screen" and "Alt-print screen".

Drive-by compliment. Skitch is wonderful! :)

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#8 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ah, that's a bug. Didn't mean to take that key combo hostage. It's now high up on our to-do. Thanks for the workaround, Scott.

But this is an Evernote hotkey isn't it?

I quite like the idea of a hotkey that can be used when Skitch isn't running.
Choosing a hotkey is always difficult, but as long as it is configurable (preferably by a window in the options :P) it should be ok.

#9 ldekay

ldekay

• Title: Bushwhacker
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hey all,
Evernote has a configurable menu for setting the "Capture screen" hot key. It says that the key combo is Win+PrtScn by default, but it is grabbing Alt+PrtScn instead. FYI...
Lester

#10 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hey all,
Evernote has a configurable menu for setting the "Capture screen" hot key. It says that the key combo is Win+PrtScn by default, but it is grabbing Alt+PrtScn instead. FYI...
Lester

I am not sure that this is the case.

In my testing, Win + Printscreen and Alt + Printscreen do two different things.

Win + Printscreen:
- Opens Evernote Screenshot function, with resulting image being placed in a note (assuming no other keys pressed to change this)

Alt + Printscreen:
- Opens Evernote Screenshot Function (I can tell it is EN taking the image because the info box is dark grey, instead of Skitch's white info box) with resulting image being placed in a (skitch Editable) note in EN and also opened in Skitch.

That, along with the extra registry option, leads me to believe that they are separate.

Scott

#11 CMagnuson

CMagnuson

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I wrote a quick powershell to set this as a one liner and blogged about it here.

set-itemproperty -Path HKCU:\Software\Evernote\Evernote -Name HotkeyCreateNewSkitchNote -Value 0

and to check it use:

get-itemproperty -Path HKCU:\Software\Evernote\Evernote -Name HotkeyCreateNewSkitchNote

#12 zarphlob

zarphlob

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

klang,

Any status on this bug fix? I just had to uninstall Skitch to get my alt-print screen back.

Thanks,

Z.

#13 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Alt+PrtSc capture is indeed a bug. Living with it for now since I love Skitch but I'd like to see it fixed. I believe it's a new bug because in older version I redefined it via Evernote and Skitch did not have this problem. Now it seems Skitch ignores the redefine.

-- roschler

#14 JeffreyC

JeffreyC

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

+1 on this. This needs to be fixed ASAP please. Taking over a root "system" type thing (I like the word hijack above) is not a good thing.

Said with much affection from an avid Evernote user. :rolleyes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey W. Cox
A busy guy who is loving Evernote more and more every day.

www.JeffreyWCox.com

#15 klang

klang

• 65 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

We've confirmed this is an Evernote.exe problem, which the registry hack workaround fixes. The Evernote team is working to fix this ASAP. It's not something Skitch is influencing or causing.

#16 JeffreyC

JeffreyC

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, klang. :)

Did the registry edit and it seems to have "released the hostage." ;) Much better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey W. Cox
A busy guy who is loving Evernote more and more every day.

www.JeffreyWCox.com

#17 EdK

EdK

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pressing PrintScreen (using Win7), which had been my Snagit hotkey, now opens Skitch. Uninstalling Skitch (Snitch?) doesn't help because then I get an Evernote window stating that Skitch isn't installed with option of Download or Cancel.

It has basically rendered Snagit unusable for the way I need to use it (which requires the hotkey & not by using the mouse).

This is worse than annoying as getting to the bottom of this has wasted several hours of my time. Hopefully regedit will do the trick. If not, I'll be back.

#1 priority ought to mean fixed yesterday - not "high up" on your list as of 11/22/12 as in voer two months ago.

#18 BigJim

BigJim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

I'm in the same boat as EdK. I only tried Skitch for smooth integration with Evernote. All in all, Skitch is free but it's krap. Anybody who thinks otherwise has no knowledge of SnagIt. What is REALLY needed is better integration between Evernote and SnagIt.

#19 timfg

timfg

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

It might just be me... but Skitch seems to have stolen <shift> and <PrntScr> too.  Which is very annoying, since this is the combo I have used since time began to capture screenshots in Picasa. Same bug, presumably....?

#20 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I believe that it was changed to that key combination from alt + printscreen

I think this is actually EN which has this hotkey and runs evernote.exe /NewSkitchNote.

It can still be changed in the registry as described above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, skitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote