Evernote Plug In for Outlook 2013

BrianK

• 2 weeks later...

EN has regularly stated they don't support alph/beta apps or OSes since they are a moving target (and therefore require a lot of engineer hours they need to devote to other areas). They also stated they try very hard to make sure they are compatible ASAP once there is a RC.

• 1 month later...

Evernote has been supporting the beta releases of Windows 8 for quite some time.

Regarding Win8, I would say we're in line with what BnF stated earlier. We had a very minimal app until the OS hit RTM. And even still it is a "Preview" app that acts more like a beta than a fully supported app

• 1 month later...

Since Win8 is official for Enterprise customers and hitting the public in a few weeks I’m assuming you guys would be onboard with having functionality available by launch, that being said are there any plans to devote efforts to the next line of MSFT and other products, such as Office 2013, even though it’s in Beta, Public release it should be released early next year…

• 3 weeks later...

+1

I'm running the RTM version from MSDN and Outlook crashes if the Evernote Add-In is enabled. Is Evernote working on a version which will be compatible with the RTM/Release version of Office?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version: 15.0.4420.1017

Application Timestamp: 506742d6

Fault Module Name: EvernoteOL.dll

Fault Module Version: 4.5.10.7472

Fault Module Timestamp: 508b0de0

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000038a64

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 1033

skulcid: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Know it is definitely not the same functionality, but I am simply forwarding to my evernote email address until this feature is up and running. Sure everyone has already considered, but just in case.

dlu -- One would think it would be at the TOP of your to-do list! Office 2013 is not beta any more. It is available to Enterprise and all volume licensing subscribers -- which I would think would be among your most important customers. I have been very impressed with Evernote, but this does't make you look very good.

• Level 5

Use Outlook to forward your emails to your Evernote email address.

After signing in, select Settings from the drop down menu in the upper right corner of Evernote web. The email address is at the bottom (Email Notes to)

"Email your notes, snapshots, and audio clips directly into your account. Emailed notes will go directly into your default notebook."

It's still on the high on our list, especially with Evernote Business launched. We're working on high priority bugs (including Outlook Clipper bugs) and will get back to adding in 2013 support soon

+ for me too. But, meanwhile, here's an Outlook 13 workaround. (by the way, I spent some time trying to create a macro for "Add Evernote BCC" but that was above my tech ability) Seems like a couple of good macro buttons could be created easily. Just saying.

By the way, I don't forward every incoming or outgoing message, I presume that would be easy with a rule. I just want a button to add something to my Evernote folders out of Outlook.

Use the "Quick Steps" feature in Outlook. (on the Home ribbon when in inbox) Create 2 new quicksteps.

1. New Evernote Message: Create a new message, under the other options, choose "BCC" and add your evernote email as the BCC. Use this when you are about to write an email you want to bcc evernote on. Oh yeah, and add a rule to categorize it, create a "filed in evernote" category, so after you send this email, you'll know it's already filed. Also, I changed the icon to a green square. (and used an olive green category for "filed" status")

2. FWD to Evernote: Same deal, but forwards existing emails to your evernote address, then categorizes it as sent to evernote. This lets you use the right-click Quick Steps dropdown in any inbox, sent box, or whatever to quickly forward to evernote. Doesn't use bcc, but you could if you wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also waiting for Outlook 2013 support; in the meantime, you can forward the note as an attachment to your Evernote email address, and Evernote converts the attached email to a note (you'll still have to clean up the Author field to the actual person who sent the email instead of yourself, but this works until they create a plug-in).

Hi,

First off apologies as I am new here and this might not be the right forum - please move this thread to the right forum.

I am experiencing a crash in Outlook 2013 when loading the Evernote Clipboard add-on implemented in EvernoteOL.dll.

The crash occurs as an access violation in EvernoteOL.dll:

.text:1000AEF0 8B 44 24 04 mov eax, [esp+arg_0]

.text:1000AEF4 8B 48 18 mov ecx, [eax+18h]

.text:1000AEF7 8B 44 24 0C mov eax, [esp+arg_8]

.text:1000AEFB 8B 11 mov edx, [ecx] ; we fail here as ecx is set to zero

.text:1000AEFD 8B 52 04 mov edx, [edx+4]

.text:1000AF00 50 push eax

.text:1000AF01 8B 44 24 0C mov eax, [esp+4+arg_4]

.text:1000AF05 50 push eax

.text:1000AF06 FF D2 call edx

.text:1000AF08 C2 0C 00 retn 0Ch

This occurs when mso.dll which is part of office 2013 presumably tries to load the Evernote.Clipboard add-in.

Outlook 2013 then disables the add-on - I have version 4.6.0.7670 (268178) of EverNote.

Note: I am using 32-bit Office 2013.

Just gonna throw this out here...

Me Too...

I can assist with detailed crash dump data if you would like, just to make your lives easier.. I live and die by the outlook plugin, so I have some skin in this game.

Enviroment:

Windows 8, x64

Outlook 2013 x32

Crash dump:

Log Name: Application

Source: Outlook

Date: 1/2/2013 3:02:31 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Brian-Win8

Description:

Add-in execution error. Outlook crashed during the 'GetCustomUI' callback of the 'IRibbonExtensibility' interface while calling into the 'Evernote.Outlook' add-in.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Outlook" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-02T23:02:31.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>3696</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Brian-Win8</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>GetCustomUI</Data>

<Data>IRibbonExtensibility</Data>

<Data>Evernote.Outlook</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Level 5*

Supposedly? Evernote don't do predictions and they're trying to keep 40M+ users happy with upgrades including this one, so I guess they might take a little while. Better they release something that's been tested fully and works rather than a quick fix that isn't. Some of us aren't that up to date with the latest software versions anyway. Meantime there's a couple of work-arounds - see #37 in the thread above - and the ever-reliable forward-to-your-evernote-email-address...

+1 Please! Thanks, loving Evernote. Here's to quick development, as we all know how different Microsoft is doing things now. Hopefully the new plugin will play and look like it belongs in Office / Outlook 2013. Maybe there is a beta plugin that some of us advanced users could help test? Let us know!

I'm in a software product technical supprt/development environment myself and I feel the EN guys and girls pain here, "So much to do, so little time in the day to get it done." Cut 'em some slack, they know what they are doing and given the pressure here, will likely get it done sooner versus later. In the meantime like the prior user noted, I'm using email.

Take Care EN, get us a good product not a faulty, hastely compiled product!

Joe

What's the status on the Office 2013 / Outlook 2013 plugin? The software was released yesterday worldwide. This is not an obscure program. Almost everyone uses Outlook. Can't we at least get a ballpark idea of when this will be fixed?

Well, here's why it really needs to get fixed. This from someone so old with Evernote that I had to re-subscribe to the forum to post. I use it every day, lots.

The up-to-date Evernote plug-on didn't just cause a crash -- it completely ruined my brand-new Outlook 2013 install. Symptom: the right-hand message text area was always entirely blank. You could see emails were there, but read none of them. I had spend two hours running Microsoft's admirable automatic fixups to find a solution..

Only the second fixup, which is a complete re-download and clean install, resolved the problem; hence the amount of time fixing took. And if I hadn't gone looking for the original cause, I think the Microsoft repairer might have re-installed the fatal Evernote plugin from the still extant Office 2010, giving me the problem again!

If you've known since September about this, I would say it has been quite enough time.

Letting this go while Office 2013 has gone public worldwide, I'm more than surprised, and don't understand your thinking.

Whether we understand or not, please fix!

p.s. in spite of all this, should say hello to BurgersNFries. Long times ago... ;)

Same here, got a nice single inbox view working, but yeah, noticed Evernote plugin crashed Outlook 2013 once. It automatically took care of disabling the Evernote Plug In though, so no big deal.

It's easy enough to entirely remove the Add-in entirely, while we wait for a fix. Here's how:

Use the "FILE" menu, Options, "Add-Ins" tab, Manage "COM Add-ins" drop down list, Go, select just the Evernote plugin with a checkbox, then press Remove. See also picture below.

post-122211-0-51803800-1359929726_thumb.

Forwarding or sending emails to EN account will make a mess in my sent messages because every message from my inbox will be in sent messages. So for now I'm manually moving some letters to EN and waiting for working plugin. Can you share some info regarding when it will be available?

What does this mean exactly? You guys have been saying this for months, but Outlook 2013 RTM'd last October. Have you run any reports to see how many of the notes in EN come from Outlook? I'd suspect it's a significant number... at least from prior versions of Outlook  ;)

Seriously, we pay EN monthly to stay ahead of the curve with stuff like this that directly impacts productivity. We too produce software that must work with new versions of Microsoft products upon release, so know well what's involved. If we were ever this late, we would expect our customers to be dissatisfied and go elsewhere.

Please, crank up the priority on this and make it happen!

What does this mean exactly? You guys have been saying this for months, but Outlook 2013 RTM'd last October. Have you run any reports to see how many of the notes in EN come from Outlook? I'd suspect it's a significant number... at least from prior versions of Outlook  ;)

Seriously, we pay EN monthly to stay ahead of the curve with stuff like this that directly impacts productivity. We too produce software that must work with new versions of Microsoft products upon release, so know well what's involved. If we were ever this late, we would expect our customers to be dissatisfied and go elsewhere.

Please, crank up the priority on this and make it happen!

Um, no, you're not paying to "stay ahead of the curve."  You're paying for larger note size, offline notes, larger upload limits, faster support, etc.

Wow, Burgers... thanks for letting me know what I'm paying for. So, I shouldn't expect EN to release compatible software within months of a new Outlook version? Good to know as we plan how we are going to manage our "note" assets going forward.

I've seen several of your other posts, and you seem to be firmly entrenched in the "Evernote can do no wrong camp"... truly taking evangelism to new heights.  ;)

In the Microsoft software world we have what are called MVPs -- two work for my company. The difference is that they are often the most critical of what Microsoft is doing... and the result is usually better software.

There are always feature priorities, but major release compatibility should always be at the top for any successful s/w company. Arguing otherwise only makes you seem uninformed or, well, biased.

Wow, Burgers... thanks for letting me know what I'm paying for. So, I shouldn't expect EN to release compatible software within months of a new Outlook version? Good to know as we plan how we are going to manage our "note" assets going forward.

I've seen several of your other posts, and you seem to be firmly entrenched in the "Evernote can do no wrong camp"... truly taking evangelism to new heights.  ;)

In the Microsoft software world we have what are called MVPs -- two work for my company. The difference is that they are often the most critical of what Microsoft is doing... and the result is usually better software.

There are always feature priorities, but major release compatibility should always be at the top for any successful s/w company. Arguing otherwise only makes you seem uninformed or, well, biased.

You're welcome b/c it certainly seemed as if you were uninformed.  Of course I'm biased.  I rely upon EN a lot & have for several years.

BTW, I have certainly posted things I think EN should do or do better. 

However, I don't spend a lot of time posting negative things about them.  There are enough people who do that already & who seem to think they know what EN should do & what's easy to do.  (They don't).

Archived