Scanner with possibility to scan directly to Evernote (no computer/home use)

RTF

Hi there,

I've been reading around, but I can't find an answer to this question.

Are there scanners which can scan multiple 2-sided pages directly to my Evernote account without the neccesarity of a separate computer in the middle?

The Xerox machines here at the office have that option, but that's a bit too much for me ;-) . It's just for home use and school.

I can't find if the affordable snapshot scanners have that option.

Any suggestions?

Just an FYI. If you go to Evernote Trunk, there is a section there on hardware. Consequently there is now a scanner that is affiliated that does not require a computer:

https://trunk.everno...rdware/doxie-go

http://www.getdoxie....oduct/doxie-go/

Not sure how fast it is, but I personally found that the ScanSnap 1500M (Mac) is amazing. The fact it scans two side and I can load up the hopper has been very beneficial to me. I scan hundreds of pages of code books for my use and there is no way I could do it page by page. Just a thought. If you get the doxie-go, please let me know how it works. I have a portable Neat Receipt scanner as well, which comes in handy if I need to scan a few pages on the road, but I got it before I get into GTD and the Evernote system.

(UPDATE: I guess I should read more thoroughly. It lets you scan, but then you have to get to a computer to upload all those scans. Sorry for the false-hope there).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a scanner that can scan my documents, without a computer. It looks like only the Lexmark SmartSolution all-in-ones are able to do that.

I didn't try them myself and I can't find much information about it on the internet.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know another solution for this?

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't exactly what is being asked for but it may be an alternative if it fits your needs. The new Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 will scan wirelessly (after initial setup) to an iPhone, iPad or Android device on the same wireless network.

It does sound like the Doxie Go scanner advertises the ability to scan without a computer and wirelessly. And it also claims to send things automatically to Evernote (among other options):

http://www.getdoxie.com/product/doxie-go/

Its software claims a virtual "stapler" function to connect multi-page documents; however, I have no idea if it does 2-sided.

I'm considering trying one out myself, so if anyone has any experience with them...I'd love to hear feedback.

• 1 month later...

It does sound like the Doxie Go scanner advertises the ability to scan without a computer and wirelessly. And it also claims to send things automatically to Evernote (among other options):

Its software claims a virtual "stapler" function to connect multi-page documents; however, I have no idea if it does 2-sided.

I'm considering trying one out myself, so if anyone has any experience with them...I'd love to hear feedback.

I picked up the Doxie One a couple weeks ago and it is similar to the Doxie Go.  Both scanners capture images without the need of a computer.  Turn the scanner on, insert the document and it is pulled through the scanner and the image is captured as individucal JPEGs and stored to the scanner's local memory - either an SD card or, in the case of the Doxie Go, a USB drive or a modest amount of onboard memory.

When done scanning, you can pop the SD card out of the scanner and insert it in a computer where you have installed the Doxie software.  The software will import the images from SD card.  From there you can clean up the images - brightness, contrast, cropping, rotation - and for multipage documents, "staple" multiple images together into a PDF file.  You can then save images as JPEG or PDF, with or without OCR on PDF files.  The final image files can be stored locally on the PC in a folder, sent to Evernote on the local PC or can be sent to various cloud services.  

So you can scan documents and capture the images without the need of a PC, but to do anything with the images, you will need a PC.  Before you poo-poo this concept, it is still pretty slick.  I keep the Doxie on the kitchen table and as I go through the paper mail, I scan what I need to and when I have the time, even several days later, process the images from the SD card.  The Doxie is small enough to go into my bag when I head out and if I get paper stuff I want to image, I can with just pulling out the Doxie and running the paper through it.  No need to drag out the laptop and hook everything up.

**Update** - I just got a reply back from Doxie support and they tell me that a wireless Eye-Fi SD card can be configured to send the images directly to certain cloud services - they specifically mentioned Evernote and Flickr, although Dropbox and Google Drive were questionable at this time.  Of course you would have to have wifi internet access but a mobile hotspot would probably work.  Of course what would be sent to the cloud service would be the individual JPEG images with no processing. 

I prefer the Doxie One - its about $55 cheaper (Amazon) than the Doxie Go and runs on replaceable, rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries.  (make sure you get the NiMH batteries - it won't work on Alkalines) So if the batteries run out of juice, I can swap out a set and keep on going.  The Doxie Go has a built in rechargeable battery and when it runs out, you're out of luck until you can re-charge.  The SD card works fine for me so I don't really need the option for a USB drive or the internal memory. 

Keep in mind that the Doxie is a single page, one sided scanner.  If you are needing to do more voluminous scan jobs, you probably need something else. 

Hope that helps. 

The new fujitsu scansnap is definitely the way to go. Even if you don't think you'll really want to scan everything in your house, you'll soon realize how great it is to later have everything available on your Blackberry (or whatever you use) and you can easily share all your documents with you spouse or whoever

You can read about it here  http://www.squidoo.com/evernote-scanner-fujitsu-scansnap-ix500-scanner-review

It's a really good review that will answer all your questions

I have two scanners for the very reason you need them!

The Scansnap S1300 scans both sides and goes straight to Evernote. This lives in my study at home.

The Doxie scans one side, but is battery operated and doesn't need a computer connected to run. I keep this with me all the time, even taking it in my back pack when I commute to my office on the bike.

Both excellent low priced products.

Best regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've been reading around, but I can't find an answer to this question.

Are there scanners which can scan multiple 2-sided pages directly to my Evernote account without the neccesarity of a separate computer in the middle?

The Xerox machines here at the office have that option, but that's a bit too much for me ;-) . It's just for home use and school.

I can't find if the affordable snapshot scanners have that option.

Any suggestions?

I agree with Michalk - you've described the newest fujitsu scansnap iX500 - It scans 25 2 sided pages in 1 minute - the trayhold 50 pages. You don't even have to own a PC to use it. - It's also a real high quality scanner - look at michalk's link to a great review - it's not the cheapest, but you get you money's worth - All of Fujitsu's past scanners have been quality products so this one should be too

• 3 months later...

I picked up the Doxie One a couple weeks ago and it is similar to the Doxie Go.  Both scanners capture images without the need of a computer.  Turn the scanner on, insert the document and it is pulled through the scanner and the image is captured as individucal JPEGs and stored to the scanner's local memory - either an SD card or, in the case of the Doxie Go, a USB drive or a modest amount of onboard memory.

When done scanning, you can pop the SD card out of the scanner and insert it in a computer where you have installed the Doxie software.  The software will import the images from SD card.  From there you can clean up the images - brightness, contrast, cropping, rotation - and for multipage documents, "staple" multiple images together into a PDF file.  You can then save images as JPEG or PDF, with or without OCR on PDF files.  The final image files can be stored locally on the PC in a folder, sent to Evernote on the local PC or can be sent to various cloud services.  

So you can scan documents and capture the images without the need of a PC, but to do anything with the images, you will need a PC.  Before you poo-poo this concept, it is still pretty slick.  I keep the Doxie on the kitchen table and as I go through the paper mail, I scan what I need to and when I have the time, even several days later, process the images from the SD card.  The Doxie is small enough to go into my bag when I head out and if I get paper stuff I want to image, I can with just pulling out the Doxie and running the paper through it.  No need to drag out the laptop and hook everything up.

**Update** - I just got a reply back from Doxie support and they tell me that a wireless Eye-Fi SD card can be configured to send the images directly to certain cloud services - they specifically mentioned Evernote and Flickr, although Dropbox and Google Drive were questionable at this time.  Of course you would have to have wifi internet access but a mobile hotspot would probably work.  Of course what would be sent to the cloud service would be the individual JPEG images with no processing. 

I prefer the Doxie One - its about $55 cheaper (Amazon) than the Doxie Go and runs on replaceable, rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries.  (make sure you get the NiMH batteries - it won't work on Alkalines) So if the batteries run out of juice, I can swap out a set and keep on going.  The Doxie Go has a built in rechargeable battery and when it runs out, you're out of luck until you can re-charge.  The SD card works fine for me so I don't really need the option for a USB drive or the internal memory. 

Keep in mind that the Doxie is a single page, one sided scanner.  If you are needing to do more voluminous scan jobs, you probably need something else. 

Hope that helps. 

Aloha,

Just receive my Doxie One and Eye-Fi Connect X2 4GB+Wi-Fi wireless memory card...phew that was a mouthful! Ordered them both on Amazon and they came quite quickly.

I'm going paperless big time using Evernote for receipts, archiving documents, reference material, web clippings, some pictures, cards, notes, etc. I'm using DropBox for day-to-day documents, graphics and pictures that I tend to use, attached and modify in my day-to-day business dealings. Needless to say I'm tired of all the paper files and trying to find things when I need them. This will help a lot and I'll be retaining hard copies of only the absolute essential items.

My main reason for getting the Doxie One is because it can integrate wirelessly to get scanned items directly into Evernote, or into the Doxie app where they can be "stapled" together and then sent over to Evernote. Also reasonably priced, compact and easy to use....or so I've read.

There really is a lot of versatiity here from what I can tell so far because you can download the Eye-Fi app on your phone or tablet and set it up so that whatever goes onto the memory card, be it pics or documents or whatever, can get added to the camera roll of your mobile device and then of course from there there are ways to quickly "Open In" or "Import" to Evernote, DropBox, etc. Also, if you have a nice digital camera then you can use the Eye-Fi memory card for that and based on your settings you can have the photos you take automagically sent over to your devices camera roll where you could archive them, share them via social media or what not. Pretty cool! Basically the card is programmed to connect to your existing WiFi network....or you can create your own custom network for data transfer purposes so that it can work anywhere.

While at home I'll just have my MacBook Pro open with the Doxie and Eye-Fi applications running and scan in all of my receipts and files then sort and send them over that way. When I'm out and about I'll see about configuring it so that the scanning and Eye-Fi card can work in conjunction with either my iPad or iPhone or both to accomplish the same purpose. For basic day-to-day receipts it is fastest and easiest to just snap a photo of them from the phone and bring it directly into Evernote I've found. Really the scanner comes into play for BULK (backlog) receipts and also high volume documents.

As you can tell I'm in the early stages of this, but just wanted to share some feedback that within 15-20 minutes I was able to configure both the Eye-Fi program on my Mac and the Doxie program on my Mac to import the scanned files wirelessly from the Doxie One via the Eye-Fi card and then send over to Evernote. The Eye-Fi program can be configured to automagically send every single scan straight over into the Evernote inbox folder and Doxie is designed to bring in the files first, let you edit them and staple them (add multiple together for one note) then export them to Evernote in PDF format...probably other formats, too.

I have a pile of receipts to do that will all be going into Evernote as individual expense notes so I'll use the automatic direct import feature through the Eye-Fi for those. For the multi-page documents I will import into the Doxie program, name, staple then export to Evernote.

For those with more experience as to the best (ie: simplest) ways to configure this for getting from analog into Evernote and/or Dropbox please share. Both Doxie and Eye-Fi offer extensive customization functionality, which is great, but it can also be a little overwhelming at first when trying to determine the best way to get everything setup.

Mahalo!

Munro Murdock

Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers

"Here's to another day in the life...the Hawaii Life!"

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I was searching all over for something that would work as a stand alone.  I somehow came upon the Brother ADS 1500.  It uses wifi and can directly scan into evernote. A nice feature is you can add a tag to the scanned item from the screen of the scanner.

The setup is pretty easy.  There are on screen directions where you log online with a computer and get a temporary code to link your scanner to your evernote account.

Works pretty much how I expect it to.  I wish it was a little beefier and could handle more pages.

• 7 months later...

I bought the Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer from Amazon for less than £100.

All you need is wifi and then quickly set up Evernote on Epson Connect on-line and then you can scan straight to Evernote through your wifi without having a computer on.

I have found this so quick and easy to use whilst starting to work on having a paperless home. This printer also has a automatic document feeder which allows duplex scanning.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009L2QY1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

. . .. I can't find if the affordable snapshot scanners have that option.

The ScanSnap Evernote Edition (found in the Market Place) looks awesome but out of my price bracket too.

. . .. The Scansnap S1300 scans both sides and goes straight to Evernote. This lives in my study at home.

. . . . .

I also use the Scansnap 1300 and it goes right into the windows desktop version of Evernote, but of course needs the Desktop or laptop. I've had it 3 years and still scanning away.  After 3 years the only problems I am seeing is bundled documents that have come in the mail together -- folded together -- sometimes it tries to feed more than one page -- like 2 or 3 pages might try to go through at the same time. Those kinds of documents I have to unfold and sort of load individually or slightly crinkle the bundle . But on the whole, its still performing amazingly well and at a price point that is about half of the new "The ScanSnap Evernote Edition"

I'll second the choice of the Epson Workforce scanner family.  I got the WF-3640 and use it to scan directly to Evernote or Google Drive. (In scan to Google Drive if I need to do some sort of manipulation or editing of the document or image).  This scanner really makes it simple and easy to scan stuff - don't have to fire up the computer, don't have to load up Adobe or other software, Just drop the paper into the doc feeder, mash a couple of buttons and off it goes.  Can probably pick up one of these for $120 or so. 

I bought the Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer from Amazon for less than £100.

All you need is wifi and then quickly set up Evernote on Epson Connect on-line and then you can scan straight to Evernote through your wifi without having a computer on.

I have found this so quick and easy to use whilst starting to work on having a paperless home. This printer also has a automatic document feeder which allows duplex scanning.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009L2QY1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 months later...

While at home I'll just have my MacBook Pro open with the Doxie and Eye-Fi applications running and scan in all of my receipts and files then sort and send them over that way. When I'm out and about I'll see about configuring it so that the scanning and Eye-Fi card can work in conjunction with either my iPad or iPhone or both to accomplish the same purpose. For basic day-to-day receipts it is fastest and easiest to just snap a photo of them from the phone and bring it directly into Evernote I've found. Really the scanner comes into play for BULK (backlog) receipts and also high volume documents.

I use an Eye-Fi card for my camera (just started researching how to scan directly to EN).  As far as maintaining an access point, I have some old Android cell phones that I kept when I swtiched service.  They weren't worth much to exchange or sell, os I use them as protable computing devices around the house (remote controls, calculators, etc).  I have one that just sits in my network closet plugged into my router running the eye-fi app.  Low power consumption and whenever I came home my camera automatically starts uploading to my photo site.  I also run DropBoxSync which separately syncs folders on the phone to Dropbox, so I end up with two copies stores in different services.  I'm changing my approach with DB as the free space I had expired.  I'm just going to run a small script on my pc to download copies to a harddrive and then delete them from DB.  With photos, I have to do this often, but with scanned docs, you can probably go quite a while before you filled up the free space.

• 9 months later...

I know this is way late. my BrotherADS-1500W can be set up to send scans directly to EN in the format of your choice.  Scans can also be sent to Dropbox, Box, Onedrive.  You need a computer to set up the send initially. After being setup all you need is wife.  It is cheaper than the rest of the scanners mentioned if that is a concern.  You can also send the scan to your iphone.

ciao

brett

• 9 months later...

It's expensive but my personal favorite is the HP Scanjet Enterprise 8500 fn1 (Digital Flow) system.  It's got a huge touchscreen and a real hardware keyboard that slides out to add titles and description at the scan entry point. It creates searchable PDF's by itself, it does crop and clean by itself, it can cc them to an email address that I use as a second backup to evernote, it scans duplex from the ADF or the flatbed easily, it does job build if desired, job page split to file if desired... Pretty much anything you can think of doing it will do. Fax via an internet fax service, scan to Sharepoint/OneDrive Business, scan to SMB/FTP. It supports all sorts of security and encryption features as well.

The automated use workflow is

1. Press Quick Sets Button on Home screen
  2. Select a named quickset like Evernote Bank Statements
  3. Press Start
  4. Done

The semi-automated use workflow is

1. Press Quick Sets Button on Home Screen
  2. Select a named quickset like Scrapbook
  3. will take you to a screen where you can tap once on the subject line and edit it with the keyboard, and also can edit email message body if desired.
  4. Press Start
  5. Done

It works 100% without a computer involved in the workflow at all and lets you choose the notebook and/or enter the metadata if desired all in one shot.

You may need a bit of IT experience to configure it but it's worth it.  Look for a used one on eBay but it'll cost you as much as a fujitsu plus a PC to run it.

• 2 months later...

Archived