(Archived) OCR for imported pictures?

Is it possible to create a note with an imported .jpg (i.e. not taken from within the Evernote iOS app) and have it scan for OCR?

I would like to use some pics that I've taken with my DSLR, since the pictures are much higher resolution than my iPhone camera. I'm brand new to Evernote, so sorry if this question is really rudimentary/obvious.

• Level 5*
Will it OCR that picture automatically?

Yup. (Provided it's JPG or PNG)

Be aware that OCR on pictures is good, but a lot less precise than OCR on typed pages - you may need to flag the picture with an appropriate title or tags just in case the context doesn't fully identify the content.

Does it OCR automatically? What if I have a pic in my iPhone camera roll and I use the iOS app to add the pic to EN? Will it OCR that picture automatically?

The word 'automatically' should be clarified. The OCRing/indexing occurs on the EN servers. So you have to sync the images UP to the EN servers & allow time for the notes to be processed. (Premium users have priority. Generally it may take a few hours for free users.) Then you sync again to get the indexing onto your desktop, if you're using a desktop.

• 1 year later...

Just got from the support chat that there's a few hours wait even if you are a Premium user.

Anyone sending pictures to Evernote trying to get text? Using other/additional product?

Manual/instant processing would certainly be a nice premium feature.

Acrobat is nice for OCR, but I'd like to be less dependent on a few desktop computers.

Thanks,

-olav

..Premium users have priority. Generally it may take a few hours for free users.
  • Level 5*

Just got from the support chat that there's a few hours wait even if you are a Premium user.

Anyone sending pictures to Evernote trying to get text? Using other/additional product?

Manual/instant processing would certainly be a nice premium feature.

Acrobat is nice for OCR, but I'd like to be less dependent on a few desktop computers.

Thanks,

-olav

..Premium users have priority. Generally it may take a few hours for free users.

Evernote has millions of users;  even given that many of them won't need OCR,  and that premium users are a much smaller group but do have priority in the queues,  it's physically impossible (short of quantum computing) to have an 'instant' response.  It is already possible to get signs and other text OCR'd locally,  but I'd imagine that will always need a laptop at least simply for processor speed and memory reasons.  And Evernote do OCR handwriting too,  which is quite nice.  I use local and server-based OCR all the time.  My workflow fits in with the delays - anything I scan today I'm either working on or filing.  In one case I don't need to OCR it - I can physically read it in front of me.  In the other case I won't need to find anything for a day or two,  by which time...

Archived