(Archived) hide unassigned tags

timw6n

Idea

17 replies to this idea

Hi Browncoat, I'm using notebooks to keep the notes separate. That part works fine as long as you turn off the 'show related notes' - because it shows notes from other notebooks. The issue is that I would like to have a separate tag name space for each notebook or at least have to option to share or not share a tag name space between notebooks. Right now the same tags appear across all notebooks. I don't think that Evernote intends customers to open a separate business account for every tag namespace they would like to have.

This is really a critical problem for me-- it's destroyed the way I work with Evernote for being able to structure work in hierarchical tags and be able to find things.

I just upgraded to Evernote 5 and regret it.  Is there a way to get access to an older version of Evernote until you restore this functionality?

I would also like to know the sharepoint of the previous release version in order for me to uninstall the latest release and re-install previous version until this feature is re-implemented in a future version.

I am really thankfull for all improvements, the Evernote team's hard works and generous hearts. However, for me, the Evernote's automatically detecting the tag(s) associated to notes in a notebook (or search result) was the most indispensable feature in every day use; and cannot be replaced with manually specifying via the tag selector.

Warm regards

Jackolicious,

The Tag Selector replicates some but NOT ALL functionality of the previous ability to hide unassigned tags. It works fine for filtering existing notes but it doesn't help at all when adding tags to notes.

The old Hide Unassigned Notes feature provided a handy menu of tags appropriate for the current notebook that could e added to notes via drag-and-drop.   This was very handy for those of us with lots of tag.

For example, when I'm tagging notes in a work related folder, I don't want to wade through a list of potential tags related to my personal life. And of course, it's not just to separate work and personal areas of our life. In dclarktandem's case, I suspect that he's concerned that the tag names alone would reveal confidential info.

It'd be nice if you guys could restore the ability to Hide Unassigned Tags. Please, pretty please.

And tell Alexei R hello for me. We used to work together in Atlanta.

Jackolicious- That doesn't really address the problem.   I need a way to see all tags within a particular Notebook without being overwhelmed with seeing all the tags used in other Notebooks.  Without that, it makes using tags to sort through notes in particular folders impossible.

So the question is how I can downgrade to an older version of Evernote that had that function.  Nothing in the new version gives me functionality that is more important than the disappeared "hide unassigned tags" functionality.    In fact, it was the functionality that made me pay to upgrade to Evernote premium.  Without it, I'll be looking for an alternative to Evernote.

This is really a critical problem for me-- it's destroyed the way I work with Evernote for being able to structure work in hierarchical tags and be able to find things.

I just upgraded to Evernote 5 and regret it.  Is there a way to get access to an older version of Evernote until you restore this functionality?

• Level 5*

dclarktandem, if you have notes in separate business accounts, EN only shows you the tags in that notebook. So one potential workaround is to either keep different clients info in different notebooks or have a "presentation" notebook and temporarliy move/copy all notes relating to that client into that notebook.

Jefito,  Thank you for the quick response. This has been eating me up this morning as i've been trying to find a work around. Its both a non-disclosure issue for me and its also just a clutter issue. If you have a new project with 12 tags, I shouldn't have to pick them out of an alphabetical list of 70+ tags from a different and unrelated project. Given that Evernote is an API, has anyone else made an app that is more sensible on this topic to date using the same API? Like "Evernote for Projects"

• Level 5*

We need a way to do this. I am a consultant. I use Evernote in meetings with clients. It is unacceptable for me to show tags from one client's project to another as they often refer to parts of an application. The lack of solution here is frankly ridiculous on many levels. I am a business customer and there is no apparent solution with this level of service either.

Interpreting Jack's comment, this functionality will be restored.

We need a way to do this. I am a consultant. I use Evernote in meetings with clients. It is unacceptable for me to show tags from one client's project to another as they often refer to parts of an application. The lack of solution here is frankly ridiculous on many levels. I am a business customer and there is no apparent solution with this level of service either.

might be a stupid question... but why don't you remove those tags? They are unassigned so you don't use them... :-)

You misunderstand. He means that he only wants to see the tags that are assigned to items inside a specific notebook. Different notebooks house different sets of tags, so to see every single tag used, rather than updating/filtering the list to respond to the notebook you are in, creates unnecessary visual clutter.

• Level 5*

Not sure how it works in the Mac version, but on the Windows version, you can get unassigned tags all of the time based on the results of a search. They just aren't used in those search results, and by hiding unassigned, your tag list shrinks and expands accordingly.

Plus, if you use some tags temporarily, like Pending or in a GTD context, they can be unused today, and used tomorrow.

Archived