Evernote 5.0.0 for Mac

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

We just released version 5.0 and couldn't be more excited! It incorporates a lot of changes that you, our community, suggested and we hope that you enjoy it.

Before I get to the release notes, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your feedback and support during the beta period. It means a tremendous amount to us at Evernote to have such passionate and engaged users. The EN Mac community has been incredibly helpful in shaping what v5 is today. Keep in mind, what we shipped today is by no means final and we will keep working tirelessly to improve it for you. You are our motivation, so thank you!

Without further ado, here are the updates since the last public beta:

• Note sort order preferences are remembered
  • More applescript fixes
  • Fixed the notebook sharing dialog for smaller screens
  • Fixed multi-select note view alignment
  • Fixed some copy/paste whitespace issues
  • Reduced overall memory consumption
  • Improved stability dramatically
  • You can now drop files onto the note list
  • New App Store to Direct Download version migrator

• Level 5*

Hey Jack

Assuming you still want bug reports in here:

Bug

When in Notebooks view, creating a notebook by right clicking and selecting "New Notebook" from the context menu does not present the option to choose a local or sync'd notebook. Instead a sync'd notebook is immediately created.

Creating a new notebook using the button in the top left corner correctly presents the options.

I think this is what I was seeing in my post yesterday or the day before.

Looks like a bug....

- Add an image to a note

- Open image in Preview and resize, save, close

Previously, the image was updated with the new size in Evernote, doesn't look like it is now. Not sure if it has been updated and is being displayed incorrectly or has just not been updated.

• Level 5*

Hi everyone,

We just released version 5.0 and couldn't be more excited! It incorporates a lot of changes that you, our community, suggested and we hope that you enjoy it.

Before I get to the release notes, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your feedback and support during the beta period. It means a tremendous amount to us at Evernote to have such passionate and engaged users. The EN Mac community has been incredibly helpful in shaping what v5 is today. Keep in mind, what we shipped today is by no means final and we will keep working tirelessly to improve it for you. You are our motivation, so thank you!

• More applescript fixes

Congratulations on successfully completing a major update! You and the rest of the team ought to be congratulated for bringing us these improvements.

After you all have a celebration and get some well-deserved rest, I have a few suggestions going forward:

(1) more productivity-oriented features (),

(2) more contrast in the Snippet View for focus notes,

(3) and an indent icon in the edit bar :)

Unfortunately, that screen width bug is still present in the 5.0 release. Thankfully sschwertz' fix works.

Unfortunately, the ends of lines are still be cutting off unless the note is opened in a separate window. Fingers crossed this is fixed in Beta 3. I can't read anything in the note pane.

ETA: This is what it looks like. This is the bottom of the note pane so you can see the lack of horizontal scroll. Making the pane wider does nothing. Reducing font size, nothing.

post-60889-0-92435900-1352472673_thumb.p

Seeing the same behavior with PDFs. They don't resize down properly to fit within the note pane. Images are fine.

And apparently I'm the only person experiencing this bug.

I just downloaded the beta today, and I did see this as well. So far with my experimentation, it happens in this scenario:

1. Set Evernote to full screen.

2. Quit evernote.

3. Restart Evernote. It automatically opens up in full screen and the right side of the note pane is cut off. At that point there seems to be no fix -- changing full screen or resizing the panes does nothing.

I was able to "fix" it on mine by leaving full screen mode and exiting Evernote (so exiting out while in a "normal" window). Then I restarted and it came up in non-full screen with the correct note pane.

So try that and see if it helps! Hopefully this info will help them fix this bug.

EDIT: OK, so I ran into this again and the trick I described above didn't work. Tried a bunch of things, quitting, restarting, etc. Finally tried this: Made the note column (in card view) more narrow so it only was only 2 notes wide. Then exited and came back in and my note panes are back to normal.

So I'm thinking on launch, evernote is sizing the note pane to some fixed size rather than basing it on the width of the panes. And then from that point on, it resizes in proportion to that size. So if the initial size is wrong, you're stuck.

I just repeated this again, but this time I switched to list view and exited. That also solved the problem.

What happened to search short-cuts? I can't type "tag:2-Next" anymore, I have to click down on the "Add Search Option", choose "Tag", choose which tag from another dropdown, and then choose "Add to Search" from another button. Oh, and if I click on a tag in an existing search and change it, it doesn't perform the new search.

• Level 5*

What happened to search short-cuts? I can't type "tag:2-Next" anymore, I have to click down on the "Add Search Option", choose "Tag", choose which tag from another dropdown, and then choose "Add to Search" from another button. Oh, and if I click on a tag in an existing search and change it, it doesn't perform the new search.

I have no problem typing advanced searches. What is happening when you try to type it?

I have no problem typing advanced searches. What is happening when you try to type it?

It searches for notes that include the text "tag:1-Now" in them. There is no autocompletion for tags like there was before.

• Level 5*

It searches for notes that include the text "tag:1-Now" in them. There is no autocompletion for tags like there was before.

Once you have typed a couple of searches in there, you will see recent searches, and you can tap on one of those to jump to where you want to go. I think this would be the feature in lieu of auto-completion within the text field.

My recommendation would be to make saved searches for each of these and then drag them into the Shortcuts. This will make it a relatively easy matter to immediately go to the searches without having to type anything.

Once you have typed a couple of searches in there, you will see recent searches, and you can tap on one of those to jump to where you want to go. I think this would be the feature in lieu of auto-completion within the text field.

My recommendation would be to make saved searches for each of these and then drag them into the Shortcuts. This will make it a relatively easy matter to immediately go to the searches without having to type anything.

The whole point of having a search bar is to be flexible - if you need to make saved searches for everything you might want to do during the day, it ceases to be flexible.

Another case in point: I click on one of my saved searches, and it shows the one note that matches. I think click on one of the tags in the search bar, and I get a dropdown of all the tags. But if I change that tag using the drop down, it doesn't change what notes are shown. So what I'm showing in the search bar has no bearing on what is actually found. The work-around is to start typing something because then it performs the search wit the new tag, and then delete what you just typed.

• Level 5*

The whole point of having a search bar is to be flexible - if you need to make saved searches for everything you might want to do during the day, it ceases to be flexible.

Another case in point: I click on one of my saved searches, and it shows the one note that matches. I think click on one of the tags in the search bar, and I get a dropdown of all the tags. But if I change that tag using the drop down, it doesn't change what notes are shown. So what I'm showing in the search bar has no bearing on what is actually found. The work-around is to start typing something because then it performs the search wit the new tag, and then delete what you just typed.

You are correct. This is definitely a bug.

If I do a search for "tag:bibliography" and allow the special search options to take over (dark gray "tag" + light gray "bibliography") then if I click on the word bibliography and change it to "history" no search occurs. It appears that the developers designed it so that we could click on the tags and easily change them to make new searches, but something has gone wrong somewhere along the way. Hopefully, we can get this sorted out and fixed in the next update.

So when will backward/forward buttons come back? Version 6.0?

Forgive my sarcastic attitude. I'm really disappointed by 5.0.

I don't think the change is bad, but I really don't know why did you remove so many useful features.

I need indent/outdent a lot, but I'll switch back to 3.x.

5.0 totally don't go with my workflow. Thanks a lot.

Tags browser has some "features" which should be bugs.

• Selecting multiple tags is tedious. I need to cmd+click or shift+click each tag I want to select.
    • Suggestions:
      • click one tag, shift+click a tag will select all tags between those 2
      • click+drag in "free" space (like in finder)

[*]When accidentally missing a tag on click all selections deselect, this is way too frustrating

[*]Deleting tags doesn't have a keyboard shortcut. Only the right-click menu allow deleting.

[*]Add cmd+bksp to delete all selected tags

• Level 5*

Hi everyone,

• More applescript fixes

Congratulations! You made it into my Google news feed with this review :)

http://www.slashgear.com/evernote-5-for-mac-up-for-download-now-in-the-app-store-15257266/

Where, oh where, is the customizable toolbar? You said you listened to people on here, but there have been loads of folks on here bleating about the taking away of the customizable toolbar, including me. We do NOT want to have to put up with what YOU guys think is important on the toolbar. Virtually every other app on the Mac has a customizable toolbar. Right-click/customize. Including the Space and the Flexible Space. But is it there on your new, shiny ENv5? Nope! So what happened to listening to us?

Also - the whole thing seems slower, and sluggish. It seems to be building the note content locally all over again. Scrolling the snippet view is a PITA - takes forever, and is a stutter/stop/start operation as notes are built up for the snippets - again. Is this going to happen with every update? And why can't it build the snippets in the background, rather than waiting for each screenful of snippets to "appear" before building them?

The whole operation of Evernote is nowhere NEAR the quick, intuitive, and effective way it used to be. And we won't even start on the disastrous iPad version, as this is the wrong thread...

I still haven't come across ANYTHING that is as effective and QUICK to use or to search as the old InfoSelect on the PC. I used that from version 1, and only changed to Evernote when I switched to the Mac. But the search function in InfoSelect was/is incredible. And that was with thousands of notes arranged into multiple notebooks. If only they'd do a Mac version, and include the premium features you guys have, I would switch back in a heartbeat. This version 5 is awful!

You say you listen - but I seriously doubt it. Version 4 was great, and did pretty well everything (except it needed coloured icons instead of the awful Lion grey). So why did you go and break it?

I guess it is still there: Try to press <tab>.

Or do you mean something different? Yes, the icon is gone, which is bad. But indenting while typing text still works.

• Level 5*

I guess it is still there: Try to press <tab>.

Or do you mean something different? Yes, the icon is gone, which is bad. But indenting while typing text still works.

Tab is just a tab. The indent works with CMD + ] and CMD + [

I know you guys put a lot of work into this, I can tell, but I have to say usablitity wise it is a major step back for me (so much so that after struggling with it I came to the conclusion that it was not worth it at all. I recovered my old version of the software from the trash and am back to using that).

I actually liked the hierarchical sidebar way of navigating. I know you can turn it back on partially in the new version, but that new list on the sidebar is a neutered version (can't make any changes or move items from there). I will wait out this cycle. I hope in the next cycle the abiltity to choose the full classic view is put back in. Otherwise I'll stick with 3.3 till I find something that replaces evernote entirely.

terrific job

takes a bit of getting used too but the learning curve is not very steep.

you seem to have plowed through the sandboxing issues[first thing i checked]

With a major upgrade like this there will no doubt be a few bugs. just swat them and keep up the good work!

• Level 5*

Where do I find the total number of notes in my account?

It used to be conveniently displayed at the top of the window.

It is not shown anymore. If you want to see the total number of notes you have to go to All Notes and select all of them (CMD + a). This is one of those numbers I'd like to see back (http://discussion.ev...or-all-clients/).

I've been looking forward to this update ever since I heard about it. The new versions of Evernote on my iPad and iPhone have been largely improvements over the old ones (although I can't sort notes by creation date?!), and I was hopeful that the Mac version would bring similar improvements.

However...

I have a dozen or so notebooks divided up into a couple of stacks, and my notebooks range from anywhere between 2 notes and ~1000. This thing beachballs all the time. It's almost unusable.

I have thousands of tags (about 4000, last time I checked). If I click on the "Tags" Shortcut, Evernote takes about 4 seconds to load the screen (during which it beachballs, of course). Once it does load, this screen is only useful if I already know which tag I'm looking for. If I don't, which is usually my case (since my tags are auto-generated), then I have to try and scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, trying to see what there is. Oh, and while I'm scrolling, it stutters and jumps the whole way. The severely destroys the usefulness of the app. On the bright side, I can just show all the tags in the Shortcuts bar, where everything scrolls as smooth as butter. Unfortunately...

I don't see the note counts when the notebooks and tags are shown in the Shortcuts bar. I REALLY miss that. They're also not in any popovers that I can see. They only appear to be in the Notebooks view and the Tags view. The Tags view we've already established is a wreck...

And the Notebooks view. Notebooks jump around from column to column as stacks expand and close. There's no animation to indicate where they're moving to. They're just jumping all around from place to place. Ugh.

So...

Where can I download the previous version? Barring that, what's the most effective way to export my data so I can import it into another app?

• Level 5*

I've been looking forward to this update ever since I heard about it. The new versions of Evernote on my iPad and iPhone have been largely improvements over the old ones (although I can't sort notes by creation date?!), and I was hopeful that the Mac version would bring similar improvements.

However...

I have a dozen or so notebooks divided up into a couple of stacks, and my notebooks range from anywhere between 2 notes and ~1000. This thing beachballs all the time. It's almost unusable.

I have thousands of tags (about 4000, last time I checked). If I click on the "Tags" Shortcut, Evernote takes about 4 seconds to load the screen (during which it beachballs, of course). Once it does load, this screen is only useful if I already know which tag I'm looking for. If I don't, which is usually my case (since my tags are auto-generated), then I have to try and scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, trying to see what there is. Oh, and while I'm scrolling, it stutters and jumps the whole way. The severely destroys the usefulness of the app. On the bright side, I can just show all the tags in the Shortcuts bar, where everything scrolls as smooth as butter. Unfortunately...

I don't see the note counts when the notebooks and tags are shown in the Shortcuts bar. I REALLY miss that. They're also not in any popovers that I can see. They only appear to be in the Notebooks view and the Tags view. The Tags view we've already established is a wreck...

And the Notebooks view. Notebooks jump around from column to column as stacks expand and close. There's no animation to indicate where they're moving to. They're just jumping all around from place to place. Ugh.

So...

Where can I download the previous version? Barring that, what's the most effective way to export my data so I can import it into another app?

Yikes. I hate beachballs. I've had a few, but nothing like that. It sounds like it might be worth contacting customer support. This doesn't sound right.

As for exporting, just export as HTML. Just about any other app can handle that, though I don't know of any other app as good as Evernote (at least, for my use case).

I seriously hope my comments will be paid attention by Evernote team.

BUGs/Comments

1. "Recent Note" is not convenient enough. Please create a new UI like that on iPad.

2. "Recent Note" does not work when Evernote is in full screen. WTH!!!

3. Most importantly, "Time" is not shown on thumbnail when a noted in edited today. I don't want just "Today". It is very important, for users like me, to know exactly when is the final update. PLEASE restore this small yet essential feature.

4. Notebooks and Stacks cannot be moved/edited at the side bar.

5. Total number of notes in each Tag is not shown in side bar.

6. Please enable double click to rename Stacks and Notebooks in side bar.

7. When dragging Tags into a note, there is no any obvious indicator like it was in Version 4.

8. "Trash" is missing in the side bar?

9. The "sharing" icon appears ridiculously.

post-112107-0-48340800-1353126416_thumb.

There must be a "Sharing" icon at the Stack below the 2 real shared Notebook — Thought and XFlashmind. I played around with this. No matter what notebooks I inserted into a stack, as long as the position of the stack is just below the 2 shared notebook. This bug happens. Please. It is extremely annoying.

I, for the most part, like Evernote 5.

But it absolutely angers me that I am still forced to look at the nasty activity stream icon in the final release. I do not need to know what changes the one guy I share a notebook with make of updates to his notes. So besides being clutter, it steals focus by constantly delivering irrelevant information.

Please. It seems like a simple thing to be able to just remove it.

• Level 5*

BUG

Connecting...

- It looks like my old friend "Connecting..." is back. Everything synced yesterday. Nothing is syncing now. I just have this message in the bottom left-hand corner. Pressing the sync seems to remove it. Could I be getting this error because I am set to sync manually? If so, why am I getting it now, but didn't get it in the previous version?

• Level 5*

No way to delete a notebook and no customizable toolbar. Need these capabilities back.

Hi. I merged your topic with this one, because you had the same title, and putting it here means that it is more likely to be read by the developers.

You can delete notebooks. Click the notebook "nab" in the left panel, and in your list of notebooks, right-click on the one you want to delete.

BUG:

Also, this new eyesore has appeared. The text is no longer aligned in the middle. Not sure if this applies to other translations as well:

skitch.png

No image :(

Blame it on Skitch. It's there.

Edit: Or rather: Blame it on the forum software; the image link works just fine everywhere else ...

No way to delete a notebook and no customizable toolbar. Need these capabilities back.

Hi. I merged your topic with this one, because you had the same title, and putting it here means that it is more likely to be read by the developers.

You can delete notebooks. Click the notebook "nab" in the left panel, and in your list of notebooks, right-click on the one you want to delete.

You can NOT delete notebooks. When you right click you get 2 options..."Share Notebooks or Notebook Settings". Neither option allows you to delete the notebook.

Hi,

I love the new evernote!!

But I just wanna make a suggestion/feedback. Is it possible to make the titles of your notes bigger or more prominent? Id like to have that option, or to make the titles bigger for all notes.

Just my 2 cents!

You can NOT delete notebooks. When you right click you get 2 options..."Share Notebooks or Notebook Settings". Neither option allows you to delete the notebook.

You can delete notebooks — just not from the sidebar. Click on the Notebooks tab with the little icon in the sidebar. This brings you to the Notebooks pane in the main part of the screen. You can delete from there by right clicking.

Hi,

Congratulations on the new version of Evernote.

It is more beautiful and user-friendly, good job!

However you removed one feature that is mandatory for me and my evernote workflow: be able to manually add a localisation.

For example, when i capture a web article about a restaurant, i used to manually add the latitude and longitude so that it appears correctly on the map when i view this on my iPhone.

Please add this simple feature back soon!

Thanks

Fabien

bug:

I have quite a lot of stacked notebooks and even though theres a scroll bar it still goes off the screen when I have to change notebooks. (of course this wouldn't be a problem if I could just click and drag to the notebooks in the sidebar!!! :P )

post-112154-0-26822800-1353078016_thumb.

The new GUI will definitely take a while to get used to. With this major upgrade I was hoping for more typographic control, such as being able to change space between lines and paragraphs, and for bulleted lists. Instead you have taken away the ability to change font in the lists etc. The font that is used for the headline of every note is awful.

Please give us back - and extend - those formatting options!

The Evernote for Mac 5.0 'What's New' page claims:

Change a note’s location

We made it easy to add or change the geographic location of a note. Just pull up the note info menu, then type any location or address in the Location field or click the compass arrow to use your current location.

I click on 'i', then the Location, and I cannot edit it manually. I can edit *everything else* except the Location. What gives? I can click on the Compass, but I can't type in an address.

Also, I'm really missing the Forward and Backward feature. I've configured my mouse wheel to use the Forward and Backward functions, and now they do nothing. If I accidentally click on a random notebook on my Sidebar, I can't easily go back to where I was anymore....

• Level 5*

Also, I'm really missing the Forward and Backward feature. I've configured my mouse wheel to use the Forward and Backward functions, and now they do nothing. If I accidentally click on a random notebook on my Sidebar, I can't easily go back to where I was anymore....

It might happen :)

Is there a convenient one-click way to empty the Trash notebook from the Trash List View? I usually review the notes in the Trash notebook before I delete them, but after I did that, I couldn't find a quick way to delete all of them in one go. I either had to (1) select all of the notes then delete, or (2) go to the Notebooks view, then right-click on the Trash notebook. Also I noticed Trash doesn't show up on the Sidebar, so I couldn't right-click from there.

Bug: Evernote 5 will take me about 4 days to launch.

After my debacle last night, I tried to open Evernote again to use it. I happened to be at the Tags view. Evernote took about half an hour to load the note counts for 20 tags. This means that loading 4000 notes would take about 4 days. Um, no thanks.

I've filed a support request, if anyone who works for the company is listening: 16051-185239.

I have also uninstalled Evernote 5 and (thankfully) found 3.3.1 sitting in my Trash folder.

• Level 5

mrg

- paste issues are being worked on

wacktacky

- assigning tags by dragging isn't available in this release but we are planning on bringing it back ASAP

- note counts: ditto

JMichael

- note counts are in the works

Dave DeLong

- re: tags moving slowly - did you know when you click the big tags icon, you can just start typing and it'll filter your tags. Sorry your machine is slowing down. Sounds like you may be indexing at the same time. I'd recommend just letting it load once. It shouldn't have to do it more than once.

stormgen

2: please talk to support. we haven't seen this

5: working on it

7: working on it

pgdahl

Activity stream - Does it steal focus or just give you a blue icon?

Alignment - It's an internationalization bug that will be fixed in our next release.

Mark

Deleting a notebook can be done via the big notebook button on the left. Then right-click any notebook, delete. Done.

fclerc

Adding location: You can still do that PLUS you can type addresses now.

First up, thanks for taking the time to update Evernote, I don't like it, but you still deserve the thanks for the work.

In particular, the UI is very difficult to use, it feels 'clunky' and 'awkward' (excuse the cliche descriptions).

I have managed to now set it up so I have list views of my notebooks (show notebook list) however if I select a child notebook, it does not highlight like the parent's do, this makes it a lot harder to see which notebook I am in at a glance.

Also, the dark design is ugly... but as I'm more of a 'substance over style' person, I can live with that.

Once again, great attempt, thanks, just not quite right just yet ;)

I have a note with an embedded open office writer file followed by an exported PDF version of that document (so I can quickly see whats in it)

In the latest version of evernote every time I try to click on the open office doc to open it evernote crashes

Version 5.0.0 (400524)

OSX 10.8.2

Sometimes evernote crashes even just trying to open this note.

I see others have submitted bug reports here, so here is mine:

BUG

When adding/editing a tag on a note, you can not Capitalize the first letter of the Tag. I have tried both Caps Lock and Shift to no success. The second letter will capitalize with both methods but not the first. If one chooses to delete the first letter and use the 'second' letter capitalized, then it works correct.

Running Evernote 5.0.0 on OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks.

Well, after finding so many things that were either missing, or harder to use, I finally gave in. I found version 3.0.6 in my downloads folder, and have reinstalled that. It took a while, re-indexing, converting, and building thumbnails etc, but when it popped back on screen, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Full density of information, drag tags to notes or vice versa, search is lightning fast - again, counts on all notebooks and tags, scrolling of the snippet list back to normal speed, etc etc. All the complaints from these threads - gone! It's wonderful.

Evernote has resumed its complete usefulness - brilliant! All i have to do now is ignore all updates until these forums tell me that everything has been fixed. I rely on Evernote far too much to be mucking about. Even my fully customized toolbar is back to the way I want it. Wonderful :))

Now, as it has been a couple of weeks since I "upgraded" to v5.0., can anyone remember what the most recent version was on the Mac before the v5 upgrade? I have v3.0.6 here, but if I can find a later version, but pre v5, I'll install that.

Just as a thought - does Evernote have an FTP repository with previous versions that we can access?

Now if only I could do the same with the iPhone and particularly the iPad versions - but I can't find the previous versions to use to downgrade :(

At least on the Mac, Evernote life is good again.

Well, after finding so many things that were either missing, or harder to use, I finally gave in. I found version 3.0.6 in my downloads folder, and have reinstalled that. It took a while, re-indexing, converting, and building thumbnails etc, but when it popped back on screen, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Full density of information, drag tags to notes or vice versa, search is lightning fast - again, counts on all notebooks and tags, scrolling of the snippet list back to normal speed, etc etc. All the complaints from these threads - gone! It's wonderful.

Evernote has resumed its complete usefulness - brilliant! All i have to do now is ignore all updates until these forums tell me that everything has been fixed. I rely on Evernote far too much to be mucking about. Even my fully customized toolbar is back to the way I want it. Wonderful :))

At least on the Mac, Evernote life is good again.

Likewise, it's cool ice water in comparison. It just 'works'.

Dave DeLong

- re: tags moving slowly - did you know when you click the big tags icon, you can just start typing and it'll filter your tags. Sorry your machine is slowing down. Sounds like you may be indexing at the same time. I'd recommend just letting it load once. It shouldn't have to do it more than once.

I would, except that nothing ever stops beach balling. The app is unusable. I can drive to your office and show you, if you want.

• Level 5*

Dave DeLong

I would, except that nothing ever stops beach balling. The app is unusable. I can drive to your office and show you, if you want.

Maybe you could make a short movie clip and post it to Dropbox.

Dave DeLong

I included a link to a 4:32 movie running at 8x speed in the support ticket I filed. It does not show it, but the cursor was beachballing the entire time. I never had an opportunity to switch to a different part of the UI.

• Level 5*

Dave DeLong

I included a link to a 4:32 movie running at 8x speed in the support ticket I filed. It does not show it, but the cursor was beachballing the entire time. I never had an opportunity to switch to a different part of the UI.

Could you post the ticket number here and check back with us after you hear from support? The number will help Evernote staff track it down if they want to investigate further, and the report will help users who encounter similar problems in the future. Thanks!

Could you post the ticket number here and check back with us after you hear from support? The number will help Evernote staff track it down if they want to investigate further, and the report will help users who encounter similar problems in the future. Thanks!

Bug: Evernote 5 will take me about 4 days to launch.

I've filed a support request, if anyone who works for the company is listening: 16051-185239.

Now, as it has been a couple of weeks since I "upgraded" to v5.0., can anyone remember what the most recent version was on the Mac before the v5 upgrade? I have v3.0.6 here, but if I can find a later version, but pre v5, I'll install that.

Now if only I could do the same with the iPhone and particularly the iPad versions - but I can't find the previous versions to use to downgrade :(

Evernote for Mac: I haven't upgraded to v5 yet (for the very same reasons you and everyone else have mentioned), so I'm running the latest pre-v5 release for Mac: "Version 3.3.0 (300201)"

Evernote for iPhone: When you upgrade an app, iTunes throws the old version in your Trash the next time you sync the phone. (Unless you did the upgrade while connected to iTunes, in which case it puts it in the Trash then.) I've never had to downgrade Evernote for iPhone, but I have succesfully done it with several other apps by following these steps:

1. If you haven't emptied your Trash since the day you upgraded, go there and dig the oldest version out. (There may be multiple versions... You want the one with the number closest to the current version.) It'll be a self-titled ".ipa" file. (If you have emptied your Trash, you'll need to find another copy somewhere else. Try Google.)
  2. With iTunes off and the phone not connected, swap that file out with the new/active app version. (Usually located in: ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications).
  3. Manually remove the app (the newer version) from your phone, then connect and sync. iTunes should load the old app version, which is now in the active location.

Over the years I've learned to retain/pull-out old iPhone app files before emptying the Trash -- as a "just in case." It's come in handy at least 5-6 times.

OK - I've been investigoogling. For those who really want to downgrade - AFTER BACKING UP THE DATABASE - go here and select the version you need to download:

mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/2755/old-versions/

Again - BACK UP FIRST.

But mine went very smoothly. No problems at all, and the world is good again. I've just reinstalled v3.3.0 Build 300201

All warnings to be noted, and all responsibility to the user. Not supported by Evernote - but it worked for me.

Thanks for that AF. Unfortunately, I have emptied the trash a couple of times since "upgrading", so I'll have to investigoogle.... ;)

I haven't upgraded the iOS version either, so I'm running "Evernote 4.4.1.261773". Hope that helps.

And I agree with you -- a public archive/repository of previous versions would be very useful. (Best practice example: Mozilla)

Is the Attribute (contains) list from the left column anywhere to be found? Or any way to build a saved search for "contains encrypted text" ? I can create the search (seach notes - add search option - contents - encrypted text - add). Just cant figure out how to save it.

Oh. I realise my choice of words was probably misleading. It does not "steal focus" in any technical sense. It does turn blue and numbers appear - which makes me click on it to make it go away. Which steals focus from actually getting things done. That's what I meant. It's not a bug, just a bad design decision IMO.

Alignment - It's an internationalization bug that will be fixed in our next release.

Excellent.

• Level 5*

Is the Attribute (contains) list from the left column anywhere to be found? Or any way to build a saved search for "contains encrypted text" ?

The left sidebar doesn't have it anymore. It is kind of inside the dropdown in the search field.

The advanced search operands are here.

https://support.ever...?questionID=535

Among those, you'll find this.

encryption: Returns notes that have been partially encrypted using Evernote's built-in encryption system (this operator doesn't require additional values).

As for saved searches, they are in Edit > Find > Save Search.

Is the Attribute (contains) list from the left column anywhere to be found? Or any way to build a saved search for "contains encrypted text" ?

The left sidebar doesn't have it anymore. It is kind of inside the dropdown in the search field.

encryption: Returns notes that have been partially encrypted using Evernote's built-in encryption system (this operator doesn't require additional values).

Thanks GM. Any idea how we get that search to remain in the "saved searches" section of the seach dialogue box? After building the search and clicking "add" it doesn't save itself

• Level 5*

Thanks GM. Any idea how we get that search to remain in the "saved searches" section of the seach dialogue box? After building the search and clicking "add" it doesn't save itself

Glad I could help. My saved searches stay... Well, if you are getting it saved properly, dragging it to your shortcuts might be a good idea. I've got my saved searches there. I don't like to have to do two clicks when one will do.

mrg

- paste issues are being worked on

wacktacky

- assigning tags by dragging isn't available in this release but we are planning on bringing it back ASAP

- note counts: ditto

JMichael

- note counts are in the works

Dave DeLong

stormgen

2: please talk to support. we haven't seen this

5: working on it

7: working on it

pgdahl

Mark

Deleting a notebook can be done via the big notebook button on the left. Then right-click any notebook, delete. Done.

fclerc

Adding location: You can still do that PLUS you can type addresses now.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

If still being able to manually change location and enter directly the address is what you want to do, it is great news and a valuable added functionnality.

Unfortunately right now, it just doesn't work, at least on my configuration: i have a 2009 iMac and am running MacOSX Lion.

As you can see on the joined image, the location box is disabled and i can't enter anything.

Hope you can find the problem...

Thanks!

Fabien

post-112159-0-94478500-1353148922_thumb.

I am starting to feel sorry for you at Evernote, so here is some positive feed back as well :)

I like the new left panel where I can put different shortcuts. And it's great to have more keyboard shortcuts for this and that.

I think that the change of search function is great. Earlier I had to choose "all notes" pretty often - or save searches - in order to jump between different tags and notebooks. It was a bit tricky to understand how to manage saved searches - but no worse than a bit "trial and error" before I got what I wanted.

The overall look feels more modern, even though it might be a bit too spacious for us with laptops. As I said in my earlier post, give me more typographical control, and I will be all happy again.

Possible 5.0.0 bug: I Installed Evernote (E) build 400539 yesterday (15th) on iMac running OS X 10.7.5 and E worked fine. When I rebooted this AM, E seemed to be running (I can get to the title bar and menus) but no E windows displayed on any desktop. I tried some of the obvious things, such as rebooting again, trying to trick E to reveal itself, etc., without success, until I right-clicked the Dock icon for E and changed setting from "Assign to this desktop" (I had previously designated a particular desktop) to "Assign to all desktops" and the main E window appeared full screen.

I can get some work down now, but this wasted a hour of my time... Aside from that, the update seems pretty slick.

Overall it's pretty good for my use case. After some of the previously mentioned clean up like customizable tool bar, note count, trash link, etc. it will be better. That notebook view is less than user friendly though. Glad I don't rely on it. I am surprised that some of the features that have been asked for for several years like click order merge and the infamous vertical list view didn't make it in.

• Level 5*
I am surprised that some of the features that have been asked for for several years like click order merge and the infamous vertical list view didn't make it in.

I am very disappointed. Unfortunately, I am not surprised.

Evernote continues to have an arrogant attitude that they always know better than their users.

They also don't seem to understand the age old design best practice that form follows function.

They don't seem to have learned anything from the Skitch debacle, where they removed many of the standard features that many, many users relied upon, and used daily.

Evernote, I am a huge fan of your concept, and your general approach of making notes readily available on almost any device. But your UI design on both Mac and iOS (particularly iPad) leaves a lot to be desired.

When a topic is pinned, it looks like the little box, such as MAC, is overlayed with the word PINNED, and so since the title of this thread does nogt contain the word MAC, it is not eviden t that this is a AC thread.

The title needs to have MAC added, for now, and the forun software needs to be corrected. Thanks!

Or maybe all the windows people need to read this, and it was intentioinal?

Woops, the forum software is ok on other posts. Liiks like the MAC was left off this thread intentionally, or by mistake.

Software is now a required part of life, and has become essential. We need developers to be more careful!

I changed my post to remove a couple of words about needing new laws. The original wording is what is being responded to below.

I chickened, I guess. You know, be nice. Political correctness. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

• Level 5*

I fixed the thread title and will send Jack a rude email about his slovenly thread creation process.

As for laws, well Evernote is a private company so the only control you have is whether you choose to use the software that they produce or not. When they finally go to IPO you could buy shares and if you can afford enough you can try and make some impact that way.

Otherwise, choose to use open source software and contribute some code yourself.

@Metrodon I think ever111 has raised an interesting point and one that I suspect will become reality to a limited extent within the next 5 years.

Increasingly we are living in a world where you buy something because you like the way it looks and works etc...and then a manufacturer updates the interface and we have to lump it. This applies to set top boxes, TVs, phones, games consoles etc.

I don't want to inhibit innovation, but there needs to be a balance.

• Level 5*

Vote with your wallet, in this wonderful capitalist world it's the only way you can be heard. If enough people agree with you to do the same then you may have some impact. But don't hold your breath.

@ever111 Interesting concept! What sort of restrictions are you thinking of? Developer council?

I fixed the thread title and will send Jack a rude email about his slovenly thread creation process.

As for laws, well Evernote is a private company so the only control you have is whether you choose to use the software that they produce or not. When they finally go to IPO you could buy shares and if you can afford enough you can try and make some impact that way.

Otherwise, choose to use open source software and contribute some code yourself.

Well we don't seem to have a problem trying to control public utilities, airlines, railroads, trucking and some aspects of vehicles, do we? Software systems are becomming a utility, no? I'm thinking there are advertised and implied uses. What if Microsoft just decided to shut down Windows, and disallow its use? Think anybody would have a problem with it? What we are into now with software vendors is unprecedented. We are on the verge of new regulations, I would bet. I'm expecting something to happen when Windows 8 is in the face of huge businesses.

By the way, banks now have data safety and privacy rules, even if private, yet they run vendor software. It has to follow the rules. Just a matter of time.

@Metrodon Software has always been updated, but before the Cloud/Internet you had to opt in. Increasingly now software companies can waste millions of our man hours forcing us to adopt new work flows or re-learn an interface etc. (and without warning!)

Obviously they can do lots of good too!

• Level 5*

No one tells airlines that they can't change their planes, or that they can't drop a route. Depending on where you live you'll find that utilities are either state owned or very lightly regulated in order to create competition. If MS chose to stop selling Windows, there is absolutely nothing anyone could do about it. They own the code.

The software business is already competitive, you have lots of choices for taking and collecting notes. Read the terms of service for cloud applications and it will tell you very clearly that the company that owns the software can and will upgrade you whenever they like. That's your choice, if you don't like it then go with another option.

People really have got to take some responsibility for themselves. Whining about software upgrades without doing research, complaining about cloud services without reading the terms of service, gets you absolutely nowhere. Understanding the software and services that you use gives you a modicum of control - going through your life with your eyes half shut leaves you on the verge of ignorance and destined to be confused, angry and disappointed.

• Level 5*

Like Grumps, I'm just being realistic. If you genuinely believe that any government is going to try and regulate note taking software services then good luck to you and I think you look fabulous in your tin foil hat.

• Level 5*

@Grumpy I hope you are going to bring some high-quality, reasoned thinking to this debate? I think Metrodon's feeling under the weather. :)

I do not know of any regulatory moves, at least in the US, to regulate software companies in that fashion; hence, my skepticism.

The viewpoint that their ought to be regulation, and that regulation will come to the software industry, is certainly valid. I've seen people talk about that before, so I think there is a stream of thought that runs along those channels. I remain unconvinced, but I guess you never know. At best, though, I think security concerns will lead to some regulations, but even that will take some kind of particularly nasty event (a stuxnet for Facebook, or even worse, for Windows) before it happens. I doubt there is much interest in directing regulatory fervor at updates to software outside of those rather narrow concerns.

I'm glad you're excited about the new version, 5.0. I, on the other hand, can't find anything and don't know how to use Evernote now. It seems that i'll have to pay Lynda.com $25 for a lesson on how to use it. Is there a cheaper way to learn the new version?

• Level 5*

<opinion>

Government regulation is NOT the answer to software you don't like.

Competition is the answer.

If you have been paying any attention to the US Congress for the last several years then you surely realize that you don't want those idiots trying to fix your problems or control your life.

</opinion>

Competition works if it's relatively easy and low cost to switch to a competing product. Despite its challenges EN is way ahead of other solutions!

Because of its nature and target market, many people will have become very reliant on it, as an 'extension of their brain'... Many of these users will not have a clue what export means?

When you have millions of users, paying or not, you have a responsibility not to mess them about unnecessarily. I note when Hotmail was completely changed to outlook.com recently, users could revert back.

Obviously we need some sort of self regulation and agreed protocols across the industry. There needs to be a proper framework for prerelease testing and feedback with power users of a product, AND the less IT aware user base, who probably make up the majority.

There are also key issues with regard to less able users who may rely on font size, colour of items etc.

What is EN's commitment to supporting older versions and for how long? With Windows XP, Microsoft has continued to provide security updates etc way beyond its sell by date.

• Level 5*

I'm glad you're excited about the new version, 5.0. I, on the other hand, can't find anything and don't know how to use Evernote now. It seems that i'll have to pay Lynda.com $25 for a lesson on how to use it. Is there a cheaper way to learn the new version?

Ask your questions on here - pretty sure we can answer most of them.

Small request: could the CMD+' shortcut used to Edit Note Tags be implemented when multiple notes are selected. If I'm tagging notes one at a time, I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard — perfect. If I'm tagging in groups, I have to go to the mouse to get to the tagging field. Having that shortcut to the tag field even in multi-view would make Inbox processing go a lot quicker.

Hi there,

Congratulations on your new release. I am not sure if this is the place to post feature-requests, but I will give it a go.

• When expanded, the notebook view in the sidebar no longer has an add/delete and other options at the bottom. The new version requires me to go to the Notebook View to create a new Notebook or to use the File menu. Those buttons in the sidebar were awfully useful.
  • Expanded view of Notebooks in the sidebar disallows changing the Notebook's name right in the list. One must right click on it and choose Notebook Settings and then change the name. Used to be able to simply double-click and type which was easier.
  • Expanded view of Notebooks in the sidebar does not highlight the Notebook you are in so there's no visual clue in the UI showing you where you are.
  • And there's one feature request that I'd sent in a long time ago. I'd love to see tabs on an individual note. That would be incredibly useful for me.

Thank you,

Lynn

Been using 5.0 for a few days now and wanted to provide some feedback.

I have been using Evernote for over 4 years. 97096 notes and counting. I depend on Evernote everyday and I approach a major new version with much apprehension and limited patience. I want things to be better but I don't want to significantly change what I been doing daily for so long.

I start by saying it takes some getting used to but I like it.

By far the BIGGEST improvement is the SPEED. This makes up for all the things I dislike or miss.

I have a 4 yr old MacPro with 16GB RAM but the old version was always beach balling when I selected a new notebook or search, etc. I always assumed this was a function of the size of my database.

5.0 is almost instantaneous on almost everything (selecting all notes did slow it down a bit).

I also like

• left panel
  • search improvements (much easier than learning the old syntax, but nice that you can still do that too)
  • modern clean look

I don't like

• missing note counts in left panel
  • no toolbar customization
  • difficult to figure out how to create a new saved search (should be part of the search dropdown, not buried under the Edit/Find menu)
  • still no easy way to apply multiple tags to a single note or groups of notes (that I know of)

Keep up the good work Everynote,

Jim

NOTE: I had tried the beta about a month ago but the initial database conversion was taking so long that I worried there was something wrong so I abandoned it. The database conversion this time was also long. The "processing" bar in the lower left seemed to indicate something was happening so I left it overnight and it was all good in the morning.

By far the BIGGEST improvement is the SPEED.

With all due respects, maybe this is more of a relative thing for you, given the amazingly large number of notes you appear to have. I have several thousand notes, but not even anywhere NEAR what you seem to have, and for me, Evernote 5 was SLOW. It was much slower at everything, and also for me doing anything, than the previous version. Having rolled back to the previous version, the increase in speed back to what I'm used to is very noticeable.

So maybe it IS a function of the number of notes?

Archived