Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Free Siri-like app to search Evernote, supports AND/OR logic at the same time

evernote bitqwik taghunter siri watson natural language search utility

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

Posted Image Unlock the power of Evernote’s rich set of search operators for finding notes with BitQwik. You can filter search results by the date created or modified, by file type such as PDF files and more, by the tags used or the source application that created the note, and many, many, other useful ways. BitQwik is the Siri-like natural language search tool for Evernote users that understands plain English! Check out just some of the sample searches now. Also, Getting Things Done practitioners or Evernote users that manage their todo lists frequently with Evernote should read this page now.

"Evernote power users rejoice: the folks at BitQwik have made a search program that’ll bring your abilities to seek out the notes you want more powerful than ever. The great thing about this application is its ability to work with natural language – that meaning you can type in basically anything and it’ll know what you’re saying." - SlashGear Review of BitQwik.

UPDATE: BitQwik is officially in the Evernote Trunk, Productivity section.

MAJOR FEATURES LIST:

- Access to nearly all of Evernote's powerful reach search grammar via a natural language Siri-like interface. No need to learn Evernote's complex search grammar syntax or keyword set
- Support for mixed logic queries that combine AND & OR queries in the same query
- The ability to search for strings inside the source URL of notes during a search (E.g. - notes I clipped from the nytimes.com)
- Support for nested tags in a search so that the parent tag and all its children are automatically included in your query
- The ability to do searches that involve multiple notebooks, and the equal ability to exclude notes that are in one or more notebooks
- TagHunter: The built-in tag exploration and management tool that has a powerful fuzzy matching technology

Posted Image Download BitQwik now

Note: BitQwik is a Windows program but you can run BitQwik on a Mac PC by following these instructions. Also, TagHunter is now part of BitQwik so its powerful advanced tag exploration features are in BitQwik too!

Posted Image Don't forget to follow this topic if you want to be notified when new versions are posted!

Posted Image Why don’t more people use Evernote’s powerful search operators?

Because you have to memorize the names and the syntax of the special search operators and that is hard. For example, suppose you want to search for all your notes that do not have the words “school” or “breakfast” in the title, that you created in March of 2012, and were made with Evernote Hello. You would have to enter the following into the Evernote search box to find them:

-intitle:school -intitle:breakfast
created:20120301T000000 created:20120331T000000
sourceApplication:hello

With BitQwik you simply type:

Show me notes that do not have school or breakfast in the title that I created in March and were made with Evernote Hello

Or any almost other sentence that means the exact same thing! There’s no special commands or syntax, just plain English sentences that state what you want.

If you have any comments or questions, please post a reply to this thread and I'll answer them. Remember, BitQwik is brand new software so expect plenty of bugs and for it to misinterpret what you are trying to say fairly often. But in a few weeks that will all change and it will be the smooth, fun experience it is destined to be.

Here is a screen shot of the main screen and below it the resulting search shown in the Evernote client:

Posted Image
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#2 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Also, TagHunter is now part of BitQwik so its powerful advanced tag exploration features are in BitQwik too!

Should I uninstall TagHunter before installing BitQwik?

#3 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

Hello jbenson2,

It's not necessary. They co-exist fine. It's just redundant.

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#4 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

You are up to your usual top-notch standards. It looks impressive!

Some initial comments:

1.) Results can be sorted by the Title column or the Tags column.
Sorting by the Created column would be very helpful.

2.) I was going to suggest a visible count in the Search Results Preview. But I can get the count by clicking on the "Show Notes in Evernote".

3.) I was not able to get the "Show Me Some Examples" button to bring up examples.
edit - I figured it out. I have two monitors and the results were appearing as a new tab in my browser on the other monitor.

#5 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hello jbenson2,

Thanks!

But there is something strange here. I can sort on all the columns in the search preview window including Created and updated.

Sincerely,
Robert

#6 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just took BitQwik for a quick spin and it looks awesome! Will test out in more detail and comment further.. but thanks for a super bit of development. :D

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#7 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hello @gazumped,

Thanks! I look forward to your feedback.

-- roschler

#8 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Hello all,

SlashGear just covered BitQwik:

http://www.slashgear...t-end-13256823/

:)

-- roschler

#9 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone,

Version 1.0.0.5 is available now.

What's new:
  • The problem with dates for international users has been fixed
  • The problems with users that had hyphenated tags have been fixed
  • Greatly enhanced ability to handle a wider range of TODO list phrases
  • New Treat Created Date as Due Date configuration option
If you are an Evernote user that practices the popular time management technique known as Getting Things Done (GTD) or make frequent use of TODO lists you will really want to read the following web page on using BitQwik with GTD.

-- roschler

#10 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

The combination of BitQwik and TagHunter are powerful diagnostic / investigative tools.

For example: I have a total of 1,083 tags.

With TagHunter, I can easily see the number of notes for each of my Tags (Calculate Note Counts).

I paste the Tag names and Note Counts into a spreadsheet to find tags that only have one or two notes.
Then I can then decide whether to keep the tag, rename it, or use a different tag.

#11 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yep, that is a very clever programme, thanks for your effort.

Will it ever be possible to use in an iPad or android phone?

Regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#12 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yep, that is a very clever programme, thanks for your effort.

Will it ever be possible to use in an iPad or android phone?

Regards

Chris

Hello C6REW,

Thanks! I don't know at this time. It depends completely on how successful the program is and it will be a while before I can assess that since it's brand new.

-- roschler

#13 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I absolutely loved your suggestion to:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
...contact Evernote technical support and ask them to do the following:
  • Allow you to edit the hidden SubjectDate field manually
  • Fix the search facility since it is currently broken for the SubjectDate field
If Evernote made those two changes, I could switch to the SubjectDate field and you would no longer have to mangle the Created field.

http://bitqwik.com/g...things-done.php

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is one additional tip for the users who edit the Created Date to reflect the actual Due Date.

If you sort your notes by the default sort using the Created Date field, you will end up with all your future stuff at the top.
It will be difficult to find the stuff for today, unless you manually scroll down through all the future stuff to today's stuff.

So I created a Future Stuff note to act as a separator between the future and the past.
The title of my note is ** Future Stuff **
I dragged the note title to the Evernote Favorite Bar at the top.
One click and I am automatically positioned between my Future Stuff and Past Stuff.

Caveat: What makes it work is a drawback to some users. Each morning I change the Created Date of this note to 23:00 hours with today's date. It is painless for me. Just click on the created field and change the date from yesterday to today. The reason for 23:00 hours is arbitrary. I wanted to be sure any note below this ** Future Stuff ** note is for something in the past or today.

#14 davidward

davidward

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just downloaded. My first impressions: http://www.attorneym...ier-well-sorta/

I just communicated with the dev and he has some great things planned. Looks like this will be a keeper.

David Ward
Author of Evernote for Lawyers

#15 Mhiggi02

Mhiggi02

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hello all,

SlashGear just covered BitQwik:

http://www.slashgear...t-end-13256823/

:)

-- roschler

Hello, would you be willing to do a short how to video on youtube? I'm having difficult executing a search. Thanks for your consideration.

#16 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hello Mhiggi02,

That video is coming next week. In the meantime please send me bug reports for each search you tried that failed. Follow these steps:
  • Enter one of the searches into BitQwik that did not work for you and try it again
  • After that click the Report A Bug button. Enter a simple sentence in the comments section explaining to me what you wanted to find and didn't
  • Follow the prompts to send that bug report to me (it's very easy)
Do this for each of the searches you tried that did not work for you. In other words, one bug report per failed search.

I would really appreciate this since the bug report carries additional information that will help me help you. Also, take a close look at the sample searches page and see if anything is similar to what you are searching for. That may give you some ideas. You might also want to sign up for the mailing list. That way you'll be notified when the video is ready or if a new version fixes the problem you are having.

Sincerely,
Robert

#17 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

I just communicated with the dev and he has some great things planned.

In case you're not aware, roschler (the OP of this thread), is the developer. So everyone in this thread is communicating with him. :)
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#18 Mhiggi02

Mhiggi02

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hello Mhiggi02,

That video is coming next week. In the meantime please send me bug reports for each search you tried that failed. Follow these steps:

• Enter one of the searches into BitQwik that did not work for you and try it again
  • After that click the Report A Bug button. Enter a simple sentence in the comments section explaining to me what you wanted to find and didn't
Do this for each of the searches you tried that did not work for you. In other words, one bug report per failed search.

I would really appreciate this since the bug report carries additional information that will help me help you. Also, take a close look at the sample searches page and see if anything is similar to what you are searching for. That may give you some ideas. You might also want to sign up for the mailing list. That way you'll be notified when the video is ready or if a new version fixes the problem you are having.

Sincerely,
Robert

Success! I closed the app and reopened it and it is working perfectly. Thanks!

#19 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello Mhiggi02,

Sincerely,
Robert

Success! I closed the app and reopened it and it is working perfectly. Thanks!

@Mhiggi02,

I am very glad to hear that. Please (times 10) tell me what was not working for you. For every stalwart user like you that presses on till they succeed, there are several more who will just give up thinking BitQwik does not work. If we can figure out what went wrong together, it would be a big help!

Sincerely,
Robert

#20 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

In case you're not aware, roschler (the OP of this thread), is the developer. So everyone in this thread is communicating with him. :)

You're soaking in it!!
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote, bitqwik, taghunter, siri, watson, natural language, search, utility

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote