Livescribe WiFi upload read-only editing title

I've been using Evernote off and on for some time. Recently I purchased Livescribe's wifi-connected pen, which syncs Livescribe dot-paper notes with my Evernote account.

Today I created a new Livescribe note and synced with Evernote. The note appears in my "All Personal Notes" and I am able to drag it to an appropriate folder. However, I am unable to "edit" any of the note information. I'm told "Evernote web can't edit this note yet"

Yet? I assume this means eventually I will be able to edit this note's title but I can find no explanation on Evernote for how long it takes before the title and other file info can be modified.

Is there documentation that discusses this?

post-110976-0-75093200-1352325444_thumb.

Hi Jomariworks,

Do you mean the title? I have just tried and am also unable to change the title! Didn't realise this was the case. Hopefully it will come along soon eh?

Be careful if create a note then try to add to it. You musn't read the page on any ios device, iMac, iPad etc, otherwise it will delete all your previous notes and only show the new ones! This is a fault they are currently working on.

Regards

Chris

They are probably populating the ContentClass attribute for the note.

This allows third party apps to lock notes so that they cannot be edited within Evernote. (EN Food and Hello do this as well)

This is generally done to ensure that if the third party app were to return to the note, it is still in the way it expects it to be and then it can interact with it.

I assume they have a particular format that they stick to and read, and any editing from within Evernote could mess with that and prevent you from using your content further after creating the note.

I believe that merging the note with another will remove this lock, however it will also remove the functionality from the third party app with that content.

(If you do try merging, the originals can be found in the Trash - Have a go with some test notes as well before doing anything with your real content)

Scott

• 2 months later...

I find this "feature" to be really annoying. There are two parts to this problem ...

first, I have a system for naming my notes with date and topic. Evernote/LiveScribe Sky have taken this away from me. So I get "Page 20 - 1-Subject A5 Notebook 2" which is completely useless

second, the sorting system is appalling. Since Evernote/LiveScribe Sky name according to your schema. No matter what sorting scheme I use, I can't get pages 1-32 to line up right.... instead of 1 2 3 4 5.... I get 1 10 11 12...2 20 21 22 ....

Hopefully some options are coming up SOON!

Hi,

I'm a little disappointed with the readonly status of notes created by the Livescribe Sky Wifi pen. The notes are not concatenated, it is one page = one note. They are read-only so no editing… at all, not even the title. I cannot apply tags for searching or organising. So the only way I can keep things organised is to reserve a notebook solely for each purpose. The features of recording writing and audio along with syncing directly to Evernote is great, I just had no idea that useful features of Evernote would then be unavailable and the notes locked as read-only.

Does anyone know of the schedule for updates or where this can be found?

pat

• 1 month later...

I find it astonishing that Livescribe would release a product--and that Evernote would consent to partner with them--with such elementary functionality lacking as the ability to edit a title. This is an egregious case of, if not false, then misleading marketing. Who would buy such a product if that fact had been known beforehand? I certainly would not have, and now I have a very sour taste left in my mouth about both Livescribe and Evernote.

The fact that the last Evernote response is dated November 2012 is also shocking.

I feel had.

Michael

• Level 5*

@Michael_T: Why do you think that this is shocking? This is primarily a user forum. If you want support, and guaranteed direct contact with Evernote staff, then you should open a support request.

• 1 month later...

The interesting thing is that I'm not able to change the title, but after I merge several pages into one Evernote note, I can change the title. Apparently, merged pages are seen as an 'Evernote-created note' while single pages are seen as notes created in other applications. Not solving the problem in any way though...

• Level 5*

The interesting thing is that I'm not able to change the title, but after I merge several pages into one Evernote note, I can change the title. Apparently, merged pages are seen as an 'Evernote-created note' while single pages are seen as notes created in other applications. Not solving the problem in any way though...

Interesting. The read-only part of things is implemented in the API for 3rd-party apps, while currently, Evernote doesn't make use of that, and its clients do not have UI to set a note as read-only (now there's a third-party utility waiting to be written). Sounds like the merge process (which makes a brand new note out of the merged notes, which are then moved into the trash) always makes a normal (that is, editable) Evernote note. Maybe you could merge a LiveScribe note with an empty Evernote note as a workaround. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yep in webbased doesnt allow me to change the title of note. But then if I go into Android App it does allow me to change the title of the note... Probably a hidden feauture :) If I then add text and resync the page then it changes back the name... basically it means that it does can find back the reference somewhere hidden in code and should have no reason not to allow us as users to change the title of a note

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived