Identifying Papers

Art Trombley

This may be an obvious question but I am wondering how I would do something like this:

I give a quiz - I grade/correct the quiz - I scan them as a class.

But then I would like to call up all the graded papers for John Doe.

How can I have the students identify themselves to make this happen?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

• Level 5

I grade/correct the quiz - I scan them as a class.

But then I would like to call up all the graded papers for John Doe.

Rather than scan all the results into a single class note, scan them into individual student notes.

I understand that (I should have made that more clear) but what I am wondering is when I add the quizzes/test papers as a single note how would I search them?

The names would be handwritten and, in many cases, hard to read. I am wondering if there is way to make the papers more identifiable by a search.

Something like a student ID perhaps?

My goal - a parent comes to see me and I pull up scans of all their work without having to manually tag them.

Thanks for the help.

I know I am a newbie to the forum but I have been a ScanSnap use and Evernote fan for a quite while. I am just trying to get more organized and more further away from papers and hard copy files.

• Level 5

The names would be handwritten and, in many cases, hard to read. I am wondering if there is way to make the papers more identifiable by a search.

Something like a student ID perhaps?

If the handwriting is hard to read, you are going to have to do something to give Evernote a clue.

You could type in the student's name and/or the student's ID above the PDF as plain text.

Personally, I would add the ID to the Title of the note for the student's individual quiz

Example: Date = Subject - Item - ID

20121108 Grade 9 Physics Chapter 14 quiz ID 3827474

If you are consistent with your title structure a search for intitle:"ID 3827474" would find all the notes for that specific student.

Thanks - I have started using software the numbers the quizzes for easy identification. So that will help.

If I add a line for the 4 digit code we use at our school (along with their name) and ask them to write that code legibly that would work fairly well?

Ex: Name _______________________________ ID __ __ __ __ (Quiz Number)

Thanks again for your time. I live in New York State and we have a bunch of new requirements for accountability in our contract. I am trying to be more pro-active with things like collecting student work for when the new evaluation system for teachers kick in. Not sure if you know this but we will be given scores now based on the many things we do all day. Being organized is among that list so I do appreciate your help and guidance.

• 1 month later...

Art,

When I scan my students' assignments, I save them as individual PDFs and send them directly to Evernote using the "Import Folders" feature. When they're in Evernote, I am able to see the document and then I just drag each assignment to the appropriate student's folder (which is shared with the student and parent). This has saved me when having to search for a specific assignment in a stack of several.

Jordan Collier

• Level 5

When I scan my students' assignments, I save them as individual PDFs and send them directly to Evernote using the "Import Folders" feature. When they're in Evernote, I am able to see the document and then I just drag each assignment to the appropriate student's folder (which is shared with the student and parent). This has saved me when having to search for a specific assignment in a stack of several.

There are many ways to use Evernote to suit each user.

Individual student PDF's are the way to go, and could be effective if the program is limited to students' performances. But dragging information into students' individual folders (Notebooks) presents am unintended problem. The same sort of problem would occur if a company decided to set up individual notebooks for all their customers.

Evernote has an upper limit of 250 Notebooks. (yes, it might be increased sometime in the future)

Considering the variety of topics, issues and tasks that Evernote can handle, that 250 limit will be reached quickly if an individual notebook is allocated to each student, with new students arriving each year.

There are many ways to use Evernote to suit each user.

Individual student PDF's are the way to go, and could be effective if the program is limited to students' performances. But dragging information into students' individual folders (Notebooks) presents am unintended problem. The same sort of problem would occur if a company decided to set up individual notebooks for all their customers.

Evernote has an upper limit of 250 Notebooks. (yes, it might be increased sometime in the future)

Considering the variety of topics, issues and tasks that Evernote can handle, that 250 limit will be reached quickly if an individual notebook is allocated to each student, with new students arriving each year.

I'm wondering if perhaps Jordan (and others who may also use his system) only have the notebooks the entire year and then delete/archive them? (Not even sure if there is a way to archive notebooks).

• Level 5

I'm wondering if perhaps Jordan (and others who may also use his system) only have the notebooks the entire year and then delete/archive them? (Not even sure if there is a way to archive notebooks).

Deleting is possible - the individual notes go to the trash, but the notebook name will no longer be associated with the notes. If the trashed note is restored, it is put into the default notebook.

Archiving is a bit more difficult, but could be achieved by exporting

Deleting is possible - the individual notes go to the trash, but the notebook name will no longer be associated with the notes. If the trashed note is restored, it is put into the default notebook.

Archiving is a bit more difficult, but could be achieved by exporting

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

In exporting, would a teacher export each notebook individually? So then each student would have his/her own file? And in what format?

A lot of great ideas here. Thanks everyone. I am still playing out all the scenarios in my head. What I really want to scan/save are the tests and quizzes. I give 12-15 quizzes per quarter as well as 3-4 tests. I do not really need them after the year ends although I am sure I could archive them as a large PDFs if I wanted. So it seems like the recommendation would be to scan them and manually organize them? I could tag them rather than make notebooks I suppose. Again - still thinking this through before I jump in. The old manila folder in the file cabinet is still working for now. I do appreciate all the discussions though. I feel there is still to much I need to learn about Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

On notebooks, I would consider the individual notebooks for each class (if you have multiple different classes) and tags for student names. If you have only one class then, I'd consider each student having a notebook.

At the end of the year, you will go to each notebook and add a tag to everynote in that notebook to properly categorize it. So if by classes: "First period math" or if by name "John Doe." Then create a notebook entitled something like "School Year 2012/2013." Drag all the notes from each notebook into this new over arching notebook and then delete the now empty notebooks. This will create an archive, but allow you to use individual notebooks as you desire during each school year.

On the quizzes, I think I heard in one of the podcasts that Evernote does better with handwriting in jpg format than pdf. I hope if I am incorrect on this someone might correct me.

If this is the case, you will want to scan in in jpg and not I would have one Evernote per student not one note for the whole quiz. Use a tag to tag the group of notes with the quizzes designation.

Then you may be able to scan for each student's name and find all their work.

However, it might be more prudent to go ahead and put a tag on each quiz with the student's name.

Still working on this in my brain: How is this?

• scan the quiz/test/homework sheet into Evernote
  • Create Notebooks for the class/periods
  • tag the students manually
  • when the time comes, search by name, create a merged file of student work
  • end of year hits - archive, clean up and get set for the new year.

This will be a LOT of scans. I do have the premium account so I know I will not be hampered by upload limitations, but it seems like a lot to keep stored.

As I said - thinking aloud (sort of) and looking for an improved workflow for my day.

Thanks to all who have helped thus far. I love the forums here. The most helpful of any I have encountered.

Hi Art,

I think you have a good system based on what you have listed there. Should work easy.

When scanning and assuming each test is one page long, you will be able to set up so each page is effectively a new scan. So you can scan a lot together.

Best regards

Chris

Archived