(Archived) Questions about the upload limit

So I have some questions about the uploadlimit imposed on non-premium accounts.

I just signed up for Evernote yesterday as I want to try it out as a Recipe system.

I found some data online and use the web clipper thing which was great. I then went home and took out some of ten or so recipe cards and used my phone's camera to snap some pictures. These uploaded fine and I saw no problems.

I woke up this morning and got an error that I had used up 50% of my alloted monthly limit. All from just 10 photos... If that's the case, it's going to take me years to be able to get all my recipe cards into the system if I can only do a handful every month.

So, I'm looking for ideas. If I set the camera to take smaller pictures, will that help with the size issue? I just took them and didn't know there was any sort of limit. The pictures were big and I resized them via the desktop client today but that doesn't help the past.

Is the limit only for notes I add myself? Does it also apply to things put in via the web clipper? So if I highlight an area with a picture does it actualy upload the picture so that uses my space? Or does it just upload a link to the picture so it doesn't take up space?

Is the limit just for UPloading data? Does anythign count when I download the data to the desktop client? How about if I have the client on multiple PCs?

Also, if I uploaded the image at a couple megs a piece, and then resized them on the client do more like 300k, does that then reuoload the files so now I used even more data by making the files smaller?

I have hundreds of recipe cards I wanted to put up online but need to find a way to do this that's not going to suck my 60 megs of data in a day and then I'm screwed for a month.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the herd!

So I have some questions about the uploadlimit imposed on non-premium accounts.

I just signed up for Evernote yesterday as I want to try it out as a Recipe system.

I found some data online and use the web clipper thing which was great. I then went home and took out some of ten or so recipe cards and used my phone's camera to snap some pictures. These uploaded fine and I saw no problems.

I woke up this morning and got an error that I had used up 50% of my alloted monthly limit. All from just 10 photos... If that's the case, it's going to take me years to be able to get all my recipe cards into the system if I can only do a handful every month.

Not an error message, right? Just a message somewhere I guess. If you're photos were taken at full resolution, they may well have been 2 or 3 megabytes a piece. You have 10 photos, then you have about half of your 60 MB monthly upload allowance. That sounds about right.

So, I'm looking for ideas. If I set the camera to take smaller pictures, will that help with the size issue? I just took them and didn't know there was any sort of limit. The pictures were big and I resized them via the desktop client today but that doesn't help the past.

Nope. Resizing AFTER the upload won't help, but resizing BEFORE will :)

Is the limit only for notes I add myself? Does it also apply to things put in via the web clipper? So if I highlight an area with a picture does it actualy upload the picture so that uses my space? Or does it just upload a link to the picture so it doesn't take up space?

Anything you put into your account from any source counts against your upload limit. A link only counts as a few words of text, because the image isn't actually in your account. Obviously, saving in Picasa and linking to it is one way to go here.

Is the limit just for UPloading data? Does anythign count when I download the data to the desktop client? How about if I have the client on multiple PCs?

Anything you put into your account from any device counts against that account's upload limit. There are no limits on downloads.

Also, if I uploaded the image at a couple megs a piece, and then resized them on the client do more like 300k, does that then reuoload the files so now I used even more data by making the files smaller?

See my answer above. It will reduce the size of your Evernote database (stored on your computer and on the Evernote servers), but will have no impact on the upload allowance.

I have hundreds of recipe cards I wanted to put up online but need to find a way to do this that's not going to suck my 60 megs of data in a day and then I'm screwed for a month.

There are lots and lots of options. First of all, you may want to check out Evernote Food (a free app). That is designed for folks like you, has the ability to take photos at low resolution, and is really easy to use.

As for photographing recipe cards, I'd use something like ScannerPro or JotNot (iOS apps) to photograph them, and then process them into black and white images that will not take up much room at all in your account.

Of course, there is also Premium, which is only a few dollars a month and gives you 1GB (nearly 20 times your current allowance). You could, for example, take all of your pictures resize them as needed, and have everything ready to upload before purchasing one month of Premium. Upload everything, and it will be there, even after you revert back to Free :)

• 1 year later...

The upload limit is the “”hand-cuffs”” of Evernote! Especially when a beginner is trying to go paperless.

As for saving space on your recipe photos. I did see a YT video which suggested to change the camera resolution to VGA mode, BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PHOTO. I tried this on my receipts and the photos are just as clear.

Once you change to VGA that mode remains until you change it again, even after closing the APP and reopening.

To change modes on a note3:

when I open the camera a icon @ bottom left next to zoom bar. That will open a toolbar

there you will see a icon two arrows pointing opposite

that icon opens the mode and I selected VGA

I bought the $45 annual Premium upgrade and my usage is about 1mb in 6days.

The overage charge is $5/GB. I do not like this much because it reminds me of the “”UNLIMITED”” DATA usage cell carriers started with and after we got hooked now most of them are charging about $10/GB!

The upload limit is the “”hand-cuffs”” of Evernote! Especially when a beginner is trying to go paperless.

As for saving space on your recipe photos. I did see a YT video which suggested to change the camera resolution to VGA mode, BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PHOTO. I tried this on my receipts and the photos are just as clear.

Once you change to VGA that mode remains until you change it again, even after closing the APP and reopening.

To change modes on a note3:

when I open the camera a icon @ bottom left next to zoom bar. That will open a toolbar

there you will see a icon two arrows pointing opposite

that icon opens the mode and I selected VGA

I bought the $45 annual Premium upgrade and my usage is about 1mb in 6days.

The overage charge is $5/GB. I do not like this much because it reminds me of the “”UNLIMITED”” DATA usage cell carriers started with and after we got hooked now most of them are charging about $10/GB!

The upload limit is hardly a "hand cuffs" approach.  Evernote is not geared toward storing large files such as photos or videos, although you can do that if you want.  There are many better options for organizing photos.  And unlike other services, there is no limit to how large your account can be.  There are monthly limits (IE you can only added 4 (I think) additional gigs each month for a grand total of five gigs per month.  But over time, there is no cutoff where they say "ok, your database is the largest it can be, you're going to have to delete some things." 

I've been using Evernote for five years & have one of the larger databases.  I have over 63,000 notes & my database takes up about 42 gigs.  That's less than one gig a month.  And that includes adding things I'd already scanned in the years I started going paperless & before I started using Evernote as well as a LOT of web clips, PDFs, emails & screen caps.  So I'd have to say the 1 gig a month is a very reasonable amount.

• Level 5*

I do want to add be very careful!!!

After six days of going premium I only have 1MB left out of my 1GB limit.

I have been learning clipper and I guess that uses tons of data. Maybe I will only clip the link.

But, it does seem this upload limit can get expensive.

Hi. There is no charge. Evernote is free. You will simply be unable to upload more if you reach your limit. You can continue to make notes on your devices. They just won't sync. Instead of the clipper, you may need copy/paste. That's all.

One solution is to keep your notes in a local notebook until the end of the month and then move them into a synced one to take advantage of the remaining allowance. Obviously, this won't work with web clipping.

Another option is to buy something like the Moleskine notebook and use the three months of Premium that comes with it -- a notebook + an upgrade is nice.

I noticed you referred to your database size in EN.

?How do I reference my database size?

I don't know why you are saying:”Evernote is not geared toward storing large files “, when every EN add and training video says: STORE EVERYTHING.

Really I do not have large files. Simply trying to go paperless. EN seems to be the answer, but I am concerned this limit will get expensive.

Let's be real here, just like the user trying to archive the recipes and

ONLY 10 RECIEPES AND HIT THE ENfree LIMIT.

I did the same with receipts and in just a few days I hit the ENfree limit.

SO I WENT PREMIUM and in just six days I am getting reports I only have 1M remaining.

THAT IS A LITTLE ALARMING!!!

I HAVE NOTICED A DEFFERENCE in EN's reporting of my data usage:

I went premium 12/13/13 and these are the usage reports I get:

my Note3 reports 2M used out of my 1G limit

and my ENweb reports 1M remaining on my limit

I could be disappointed and that has affected my attitude towards EN.

I JUST DO NOT THINK I HAVE USED 1G OF DATA IN 6 DAYS!!!

The Note3 report is more believable and I can understand 2M of data.

I noticed you referred to your database size in EN.

?How do I reference my database size?

I don't know why you are saying:”Evernote is not geared toward storing large files “, when every EN add and training video says: STORE EVERYTHING.

Really I do not have large files. Simply trying to go paperless. EN seems to be the answer, but I am concerned this limit will get expensive.

Let's be real here, just like the user trying to archive the recipes and

ONLY 10 RECIEPES AND HIT THE ENfree LIMIT.

I did the same with receipts and in just a few days I hit the ENfree limit.

SO I WENT PREMIUM and in just six days I am getting reports I only have 1M remaining.

THAT IS A LITTLE ALARMING!!!

I HAVE NOTICED A DEFFERENCE in EN's reporting of my data usage:

I went premium 12/13/13 and these are the usage reports I get:

my Note3 reports 2M used out of my 1G limit

and my ENweb reports 1M remaining on my limit

I could be disappointed and that has affected my attitude towards EN.

I JUST DO NOT THINK I HAVE USED 1G OF DATA IN 6 DAYS!!!

The Note3 report is more believable and I can understand 2M of data.

In the Window client, you can get the size of your database by looking at the you-user-name.exb file.

Ok, technically, you *can* store everything in Evernote if you want.  But since there is a note size limit & a monthly upload limit, does it mean it's practical to store everything in Evernote?  IMO, no.  You'd have to break down any files larger than 100 mgs & you'd also need to use a lot of upload limit each month.  But to each his own. 

One can easily store 10 recipes in Evernote without coming close to the upload limit...not even kind of close to the limit.  But if you're adding a lot of large photos, videos or other files, then that's a different store. 

The web client is the source of all truths.  So whatever it says is your current usage is accurate.  The desktop other clients show an estimated usage & will be accurate right after syncing.  This is because your EN account can be fed from a myriad of sources...not just your desktop client.  For example, your desktop client is not aware of a 60 meg file that you had auto forwarded to your Evernote account from your ISP.

Also regarding upload...if you have a 40 meg PDF you upload, that consumes 40 megs.  If you open that PDF, modify it & save it & it's now 45 mgs, it will be re-uploaded & consume another 45 mgs for a total of 85 mgs.  So if you're adding a lot of large photos & syncing, then editing them (IE rotating, resizing, etc) & reupload, you're going to use up a lot of your upload limit.  That's another reason I say there are better options for storing & organizing photos than Evernote.

A user who is using their free account upload limit with 10 recipes is perhaps going about it in a way that is less than efficient. That is, it is Possible that they are photographing recipes or scanning recipes with an unnecessarily high resolution. I have extremely clear scans of recipes that clock in under a 1mb. I typically use a scanner application on my phone to produce high quality but low file-size scans. Evernote food offers some functionality to help with that.

60mbs is not a lot, but it can go a long way. As a user you need to take some care in what you are scanning or clipping, there are some ways to do it more efficiently, so take the time to consider your approach.

Archived