Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Android

Skitch latest Android update broke usability in college! I cant really use it now

skitch stylus galaxy note drawing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Carmageddon

Carmageddon

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hello, I have just updated my Skitch on the Galaxy Note (not 2), and I am shocked to discover the entire app was redone! the way it works is different.

I will explain the problem:
I use Evernote+Skitch to take screenshots of the board at college, and any changes the teacher adds (or other notes, or highlights I have) - I manually WRITE over the picture using my s-pen!
This worked PERFECTLY so far (with minor, tolerable bug where after a while, first character drawn would be considered mistake and removed).
Here is an example of the latest note I did from last week:
http://www.evernote....d3150a7ab3fbabb

But now, in the new Skitch app - I cant write over the picture!!! after every draw stroke, the pen tool is DESELECTED!
I will not be able to work with this on the next lecture tomorrow! :(
Try to write the notes over picture with the NEW APP - its not doable with reasonable comfort during lecture!

Please please, can you urgently add a setting to keep the pen tool selected by default? (also remember the pen color and size I selected! it resets to 2nd thickness and pink color! :rolleyes: )

Else, I will have no choice but to start looking for alternatives... this is very very bad.

#2 ldekay

ldekay

• Title: Bushwhacker
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

@Carmageddon
We are working on adding a preference back in for you to keep the tool selected.
Stay tuned!
Lester

#3 gedster314

gedster314

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for posting Carmageddon, I have the same issues.

I used the older version for hand written notes. I loved that the note size could be increased by using to fingers to scroll up and I could continue to add text to the note. The new version seems to be locked at only a screen sized note only. Also the older version would smooth out the writing, I found that very helpful too. The newer version seems to be much slower at smoothing the writing.

Also the older version worked great on the GalaxyNote but hand writing was not visible until you lifted the pen on the Galaxy Note2. So Skitch2.0 no longer works for my needs and rolling back to the older version is not option for the GalaxyNote2.

#4 eepohboy

eepohboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Hi,

I had the same problem as @gedster314 with Skitch v1 and my Galaxy Note 2.

And like @Carmageddon, I use Skitch mainly to take notes instead of using a notepad or post-its.

It would be great to have to option to keep the writing tool selected. Any idea when an update will be available to incorporate this?

Rizal.

#5 Carmageddon

Carmageddon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for posting Carmageddon, I have the same issues.

I use the older version for hand written notes. I loved that the note size could be increased by using to fingers to scroll up an. Continue to add text to the note. The new version seems to be locked at only a screen sized note only. Also the older version would smooth out the writing, I found that very helpful too. The newer version seems to be much slower at smoothing the writing.

After test driving the new Skitch during lectures, I can definitely say it is unusable currently for two reasons:
1) pen tool being deselected too quickly.
2) pen size is not kept small - like gedster has said, when you zoom in, pen size increases proportionally and therefore I can't add pen strokes which fit in the existing image test.
3) need to verify that when I get to home pc, but I think new skitch severly degrades modified picture quality :-(

Finally, is it possible to please upload the apk file of the old skitch until you get to fixing it? Classes don't wait and I can't study like this....

#6 ldekay

ldekay

• Title: Bushwhacker
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

All,
The new version will have a preference for keeping your tool selected. There is a beta available with this feature. Please go here for more:
http://discussion.ev...id-v201-beta-1/

#7 eepohboy

eepohboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I've been using the updated Skitch (v2.0.1) and it has the option to keep the tool selected, which is great. However, I find writing notes with the v2.0 app almost impossible. It's not as smooth in capturing input, making my handwriting almost illegible. It's so dodgy, I can't even dot my i's.

#8 Honest

Honest

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

I've been using the updated Skitch (v2.0.1) and it has the option to keep the tool selected, which is great. However, I find writing notes with the v2.0 app almost impossible. It's not as smooth in capturing input, making my handwriting almost illegible. It's so dodgy, I can't even dot my i's.

I was just about to log in to address this same problem. I cannot write quickly and the strokes seem to lag behind my pen. Being unable to dot my i's has to be the most noticeable problem. Other than that, the new features are fantastic. It might be the new drying feature thats affecting it.

#9 Carmageddon

Carmageddon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

This is bad, its really BAD!I have attached a screenshot from my Galaxy Note, you can see me on max zoom in (old skitch could do more zooming!) - and I still cant write tiny enough with my Stylus. I have reverted to the old skitch APK and configured Market NOT to auto update it, until you solve the *****load of problems you created by fixing what worked :angry:

Attached Files

#10 eepohboy

eepohboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Since taking handwritten notes is currently very frustrating using Skitch, I have found a couple of interesting alternatives:
  • Handrite Free is pretty good for taking simple handwritten notes
  • FreeNote has similar note taking features as Handrite, but has added features to attach and annotate images. I'm still exploring all the functions in this app.
  • S Note which comes with the Galaxy Note 2 by default does all of the above. However I recommend that notes are to be Shared, and not Sync'd with Evernote. If Shared, the note will be exported to an Image file with can then be seen on Evernote. If Sync'd, Evernote gets the .snb file format which cannot be viewed in Evernote.
All apps mentioned above can share to Evernote, but the handwritten notes get exported to Image files and are attached to a new Evernote note. This is fine if you do not intend to edit/add on to the handwritten note, as attached Images can only be annotated (not edited) with Skitch. If you do need to edit a note, you can do so with the original app that the handwritten note was taken with, but then have to re-share with Evernote and delete the older version.

A bit tedious, but the handwriting captured looks great, and the first 2 apps mentioned above align your handwriting in an interesting way.

I'll probably be using one of the above apps for taking handwritten notes until changes are made to Skitch, if they ever do...

Rizal.

#11 Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

@Carmageddon I wanted to address a few of your concerns:

1) pen tool being deselected too quickly

We are working on a new method to lock your existing tool, so you can continue to use it between placing items on the canvas, but in the mean time there is also a setting available under Options (starting in 2.02 and up) which will change the default behavior to always remain on the last selected tool rather than move to auto-move.

2) pen size is not kept small

This was a design change to handle how we rendered Skitch annotations on the canvas. We are looking into a way to keep the pen tool small when you are zoomed in.

skitch severely degrades modified picture quality

Unfortunately in this case it isn't Skitch, but instead Android. While Android can (depending upon device capabilities) allow you pull in images larger than 2048 on a side (via any source) Android does not let you process images larger than that due to operating system contraints. So if you pull in an image from say your Evernote account created on a desktop and the image has a side larger than 2048, then Android (and therefore Skitch) will down sample the image on save, so that the longest side is no bigger than 2048. When Skitch down samples the image we maintain the aspect ratio, so your image will be reduced in proportion to the length of the longest side. What this means is your image will not get distorted, but may be reduced in resolution.

If, and when, Android and the various device manufacturers have a viable solution in place to avoid this problem we'll gladly roll it out. We are constantly looking for a solution to this constraint.

------
Joe
Head of Skitch
Skitch is available for the following clients: Mac, iOS, Android, Windows 8, and Windows 32.
http://evernote.com/skitch

#12 Carmageddon

Carmageddon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

@Carmageddon I wanted to address a few of your concerns:

1) pen tool being deselected too quickly

We are working on a new method to lock your existing tool, so you can continue to use it between placing items on the canvas, but in the mean time there is also a setting available under Options (starting in 2.02 and up) which will change the default behavior to always remain on the last selected tool rather than move to auto-move.

2) pen size is not kept small

This was a design change to handle how we rendered Skitch annotations on the canvas. We are looking into a way to keep the pen tool small when you are zoomed in.

skitch severely degrades modified picture quality

Unfortunately in this case it isn't Skitch, but instead Android. While Android can (depending upon device capabilities) allow you pull in images larger than 2048 on a side (via any source) Android does not let you process images larger than that due to operating system contraints. So if you pull in an image from say your Evernote account created on a desktop and the image has a side larger than 2048, then Android (and therefore Skitch) will down sample the image on save, so that the longest side is no bigger than 2048. When Skitch down samples the image we maintain the aspect ratio, so your image will be reduced in proportion to the length of the longest side. What this means is your image will not get distorted, but may be reduced in resolution.

If, and when, Android and the various device manufacturers have a viable solution in place to avoid this problem we'll gladly roll it out. We are constantly looking for a solution to this constraint.

First of all Joe - thank you very much for the thorough response! appreciated :)

I understand it will take a while (probably few months..) to fix the problems Skitch 2 created to the use case scenario we Students have for Evernote+Skitch.

I would like to say, that I am not certain you fully understand point 1 - I think I cant really explain it, until you try to take a camera shot using Evernote of a board at some college, then open it for edit using the old skitch, and adding some further notes/text/markings whatever on it quickly during lecture using Galaxy Note.
Then after trying this ONCE, you can try this again with the New Skitch - I am sure the issues will become self explanatory why we stuck with the old Skitch (1.4x I believe).

About the picture quality, I think we did not understand each other properly - the old Skitch did not do that! I did the SAME thing, of taking a picture of the board using the Galaxy Note from inside Evernote, then tapping the picture to enter edit mode using Skitch, doing all the notes, and saving it - it never degraded as badly as with Skitch 2! (only after 5+ edits over the same saved image, I started to get pixels and degrades so now I try to finish editing in 1-2 edits).
In new Skitch, on the FIRST edit, it becomes unreadable and unusable after saving for the first time... (using the same ROM and everything except Skitch version).
So, please double check this - somehow old Skitch works perfectly.

Except a minor bug where first drawing of a character after a break of writing, is being deleted as a 'mistake' intentionally probably.

Perhaps the correct solution, is to split Skitch into 2 products: one like now Skitch 2 oriented for simple devices, and one like the old Skitch, focused on Stylus users and optimized for this form of interaction?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: android, skitch, stylus, galaxy note, drawing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote