Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Livescribe Sky - now exclusively Evernote

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 psionmark

psionmark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

You guys kept this one quiet! (at least I think you did - first I've heard of it).

http://www.theverge....-evernote-notes

Something of a terrific move, I'd say! And maybe about time I got myself one of these.

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

(BNF covers her eyes & hits the 'back' button w/o looking at the link..)

Earlier this year, I upgraded from a 1 gig EN Pulse to a 4 gig Echo.

I. Cannot. Get. A. New. Livescribe. Pen.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 megsaint

megsaint

• 806 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I do not know how strong my resolve will be. I still have my original Livescribe so, it's ok to upgrade right? ;)
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I do not know how strong my resolve will be. I still have my original Livescribe so, it's ok to upgrade right? ;)

Yes, indeedy!

(envious look...)

That does look soooo cool! I have to say my Livescribe pens were VERY good investments. It will be interesting to see how well this new incarnation works.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

And @BnF (et al) how well do these work for you?

#6 psionmark

psionmark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

So when does it arrive? :-)

#7 Jeff510

Jeff510

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

I love my Echo pen, and I store all my notes in Evernote already.

This wifi pen is miiighty tempting...

#8 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

And @BnF (et al) how well do these work for you?

Livescribe truly is one of my most used "gadgets". I used it most often when taking my elderly mother to her various doctor's appointments or when she was in the hospital. I have a horrible memory (which is why I rely so much on EN!) and simply cannot listen, digest, ask questions & take legible notes all at the same time. Compound that with dealing with a 94 y/o "child" & it's mental chaos. With the LS, I could concentrate on what the doctor was saying, think about any questions I may have & take brief notes & not have to worry about trying to remember everything. Of course I had a few failures, like when I'd put the pen down & apparently in the shuffle of dealing with an elderly mother, walkers/wheelchairs, etc, it would get accidentally turned off. BUT...there were only a few of those. It was also nice b/c I knew if any of my sisters had any questions I couldn't answer (since I was the local kid & the only one dealing with the medical issues), I could simply replay what the doc said. I also have used it when buying a house, selling a house, medical stuff for my husband and for me, major repair stuff (air conditioning), etc. I have one of the LS flip pads I keep in my tote along with the pen. This way, if I feel the need to do any impromptu note taking, I'm covered.

HOWEVER, I never used the LS/EN integration. That never really worked well for me. Most of my notes, I rely upon the audio & the handwritten part is usually less than a full page. IOW, the audio may go for a couple of hours (you know how those doctors' appts go!) but the written part would only be a page or less in one of the LS black journals. So I'd export the audio from the LS desktop app & then screen cap the written part. Then I'd put both the screen cap & the audio file into a single EN note. If there were any crucial info, I'd sometimes edit the audio to create a shorter audio clip so I could listen to just the "meat" of the appointment. IE, I'd start the pen's audio part running when I'd walk into the doctor's office & stop it when I'd leave. (Sometimes I'd forget to turn it off until an hour or so later...LOL!) But I would extract a much shorter clip of what the doctor's evaluation was, so I could just listen/replay that. But having it on the entire time would be sure to get things like when they would take temperature/blood pressure, etc.

I also use it on the phone a lot, for personal business, with the Livescribe earphones. (I live in a one party state!) On more than one occasion, when I've left voice messages, I may forget if I left my phone number or some other detail. I can play back the audio & know yes, I did leave contact info or model/serial number or no, I didn't & I need to call back & leave that info.

IMO, for someone who has a hard time remembering stuff, the LS is invaluable.

#9 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

As it turns out, my mother passed away earlier this year. Again, since I'm the local kid & the only one dealing with settling her affairs, making memorial arrangements, memorial dinner arrangements, clearing out her home, etc, I have used it a LOT. Also nice again, b/c in addition to me not having to rely wholly on my memory, if any of my sibs have any questions, I can simply replay the audio for them.

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

So when does it arrive? :-)

MUST.

RESIST.

#11 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

It works really well. My husband has been a LiveScribe user for years, and when they started working on the new integration he was all over the upgrade.

I can say, that I've had a livescribe for years (for troubleshooting purposes), and I've actually started to bring this new one to meetings with me.

I'm really impressed with the way they're handling the upgrade quota issue. 500MB "free" per month, whether you're free or Premium, for any data that syncs from the pen. So, if you're a free user (like a student) and you have one of these pens, you can spend your precious 60MB a month on uploading photo memories to keep, and your class notes can sync from the pen without having to worry about it. That, for me, is the killer feature right there.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#12 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

It works really well. My husband has been a LiveScribe user for years, and when they started working on the new integration he was all over the upgrade.

I can say, that I've had a livescribe for years (for troubleshooting purposes), and I've actually started to bring this new one to meetings with me.

I'm really impressed with the way they're handling the upgrade quota issue. 500MB "free" per month, whether you're free or Premium, for any data that syncs from the pen. So, if you're a free user (like a student) and you have one of these pens, you can spend your precious 60MB a month on uploading photo memories to keep, and your class notes can sync from the pen without having to worry about it. That, for me, is the killer feature right there.

MUST.

RESIST.

#13 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

I think for me the audio angle is a damp squib. :-( Occasionally I'm in a presentation where I might want to capture verbatim what the speaker said, but that's about it. Generally I get the slides and I'm more likely to muse over those. (I almost said foils but that would have a narrower kuljerelle resonance.) :-)

So this one is probably not for me. I'm drooling over the Moleskine thing BTW - because it looks so pretty. :-) Again I'll probably resist. :-)

#14 Jeff510

Jeff510

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Resistance is futile. It's just a matter of when.

For me too...

#15 psionmark

psionmark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Who's got one on order then? :-)

#16 Phil Dean

Phil Dean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: British Food Lover
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I am now a convert to LS. Never really used the pen before but for testing and getting up to speed I have been using the new pen for three weeks now and love it. It is even smart enough that when I edit/append a page that has already synced to my account it just adds the extra data to the same page.
Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or
Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#17 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Is the data itself hackable? An XML representation of lines etc might be interesting.

#18 evb

evb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Another LS user here. Note taking + occasionally sound recording - great. One more thing: the application "tablet". You can define a page as the screen and the LS pen, connected to the computer, can be used like a mouse or a pen, directly writing into the application.

But, a great BUT: You have to be connected via USB-cable, and yet all cables with micro USB are clunky and stiff. Now, if the app "tablet" would work wireless, well - then - you would have a wireless pen for writing directly into the program, to make free hand annotations to pdf documents etc.

I did not find an indication that the new LS works real time this way and substitutes USB cable by WIFI in this respect, can anybody comment on that?

Regards from Munich and good luck to anybody over there at the east coast USA, EvB.

#19 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I saw WiFi explicitly mentioned somewhere.

#20 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

This pen syncs exclusively with Evernote over Wifi. There is no USB, and there is no longer any desktop software package.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote