How about an android update?

AccordingToMe

Idea

Other than posting a job description for a developer, is there any progress on penultimate for android? It's understood that the company wants to avoid speculative commentary but could you at least tell us if before the end of the year is a possibility with a relatively high probability or if that would simply be wishful thinking?

22 replies to this idea

I'm another lefty and I know what you mean.  I've had to adapt to this injustice and keep my hand suspended in space while I endeavor to write on my tablet.  As a lefty I have had to confront adversity all my life and that's what makes us superior creatures.

I only want this if the development team can hold my gaze when I inform them that I'm left handed.

I have a tablet. Can't find an app that won't create a huge mess once I start to write. And no, I'm not going to write with my hand unaturally suspended in mid air.

If anyone has found a solution, paid, free or indentured servitude, for Android tablets, please clue me in! I've tried Quill & Super Note. Any lefties out there?

Thank you!

• Level 5*

The job no longer exists, so either they have filled it or changed their minds I guess?  Lack of communication is poor.  I would not treat my own customers like this.  Just please give us an update. That way we can decide whether to stick with Evernote on Android or go for an alternative.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Evernote staff have already given an update and answered this question.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26144-penultimate-for-android-tablets/?p=187011

The job no longer exists, so either they have filled it or changed their minds I guess?  Lack of communication is poor.  I would not treat my own customers like this.  Just please give us an update. That way we can decide whether to stick with Evernote on Android or go for an alternative.

• Level 5*

@grumpymonkey - they posted the position last July which isn't like the position was just posted a week ago. My ask of an update was to see if anybody was hired and has ownership of this project yet...and if there was somebody hired how they are coming with the project. It would be great to know that they are knee deep into the development cycle rather than they haven't even hired someone to manage the project yet. I don't think giving an update at this point would be construed as commenting or speculating on release dates.

If they haven't hired anybody yet then my question is wtf, why not????

I don't know if they will answer, but you can ask! Hopefully, everything will be coming along sooner rather than later.

@grumpymonkey - they posted the position last July which isn't like the position was just posted a week ago. My ask of an update was to see if anybody was hired and has ownership of this project yet...and if there was somebody hired how they are coming with the project. It would be great to know that they are knee deep into the development cycle rather than they haven't even hired someone to manage the project yet. I don't think giving an update at this point would be construed as commenting or speculating on release dates.

If they haven't hired anybody yet then my question is wtf, why not????

• Level 5*

Add me to the list! Why haven't we had some sort of reply from the team at Evernote? Even a "It will never happen" would be something (if annoying). Thanks to RuGuy and AdmialP for the comments on alternatives. I use a Xoom and have tried Handrite but it doesn't seem to work particularly well; the text lags and just doesn't 'write' very well. Just downloaded Papyrus so fingers crossed there. Best bargain for a stylus so far was £1.50 at Staples. No Mont Blanc but who cares at that price!

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

The Evernote team does not reply to each and every thread. Evernote has already made its commitment to the Android platform clear, and if you follow the job announcements, they are trying to hire an Android developer for Penultimate (http://evernote.com/careers/job.php?job=o5apWfwk), so if you put these together you get .... something someday :)

Add me to the list! Why haven't we had some sort of reply from the team at Evernote? Even a "It will never happen" would be something (if annoying). Thanks to RuGuy and AdmialP for the comments on alternatives. I use a Xoom and have tried Handrite but it doesn't seem to work particularly well; the text lags and just doesn't 'write' very well. Just downloaded Papyrus so fingers crossed there. Best bargain for a stylus so far was £1.50 at Staples. No Mont Blanc but who cares at that price!

@RyGuy - thanks for the info about Papyrus. I've downloaded the beta and it looks quite good on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 device. I like the "infinite" page size, and the ease with which it 's possible to push your Papyrus scribblings into Evernpote.

I'm also looking at MyScript Notes Mobile from Vision Objects. It's available for Samsung tablets from their Samsung Apps Store - it doesn't appear to be in the Google Play store.. This is built around Vision Objects digital inking and text recognition engine that I think has been around for quite a while - probably since Bill Gates demonstrated Windows XP Tablet Edition on the Windows-based Tablets of a decade ago.

MyScript Notes Mobile al;so lets you export your notes as text to Evernote, or create PDFs or image files. It also includes handwriting-to-text conversion capability - either as you write, or after you finish your note taking. I like the fact that you select either to convert your handwritten text into the standard Android font, or into a neat handwriting font..

All I've got to do is to find a decent stylus to use with these apps (i.e. a non-S Pen type)

I am a recent Nexus 7 owner, and I purchased it specifically for note taking purposes, so that I could manage all of meeting notes via Evernote. I was doing my research on the software I would use for this purpose before purchasing the N7, and the one thing that was lacking was a good Penultimate alternative.

None the less, in the absence of an Evernote app, I searched and came across a couple of apps that are currently available:

• Papyrus
  • Quill
  • LectureNotes

I picked Papyrus because to me it had the best UI, and the developers have been working and updating the app regularly. Also, you can save the handwritten notes to Evernote, which meets my overall purpose. I have not had any issues thus far (Except for the fact that there are no styli on the market that offer a completely smooth writing experience), and the set up works great!

I hope that Evernote gets it together soon as Papyrus could prove to be a significant competitor. In the end competition means better products for us!

Archived