Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

My review of Clever - third party Evernote client for iPhone

clever evernote client third party ios iphone review

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Clever is a third party Evernote client for iPhone and it blows me away how well developed and full featured this app is. It has more features than official Evernote clients on ios, you can copy note links, copy notes, use browsing history, use URL schemes to integrate this app with other app and so on.

I'm newbie at making video reviews and English isn't my native language but hopefully it's easy to understand.

what do you think about the app? Have you tried it?

I find it really awesome, would love to see an iPad version. I really like to see more great stuff like this to come out.

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the video & heads up on this app, May. I'm on my way to download it now. It looks amazing!
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

BTW, you did great on the video.

My initial impression is that this app ROCKS!!! I only occasionally use EN on my iPhone or iPad b/c it's so darned slow. But this app is VERY snappy & I think I will use it a LOT on my iPad. Alas, I will need to see if iOS 5.1 has been untetherd Jailbroken, since Clever requires that OS. There is one Cydia app that I really need, so I need to have my iPhone JB. BUT...this app is amazing enough that I'm going to put this on my list of priorities.

Thanks again, for the info on this.
  • May likes this

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#4 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Glad you found the vid helpful :)
I recorded/edited the vid on the iPad too btw. I'm using iPad as my main computer for pretty much 90% of the time.

I'd use Clever app on iPad too but I just don't like to use apps in the portrait mode.

Alas, I will need to see if iOS 5.1 has been untetherd Jailbroken, since Clever requires that OS. There is one Cydia app that I really need, so I need to have my iPhone JB.

Yeah, there is a jailbreak. I'm using a jailbroken iPad, iOS 5.1.1
If you're using iPad2 (I do) then I also recommend to install Retinapad, this will make iPhone apps run in Retina display and they'll look MUCH better in 2x mode.

#5 longtimeuser

longtimeuser

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Sounds good, but can't find it in Evernote trunk or iPhone app store.

#6 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Here's the link

https://itunes.apple...17006?mt=8&ls=1

#7 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

You have to Google either:

Evernote iPhone app clever

or

StudioHitori (the developer)

Link is here:

https://itunes.apple...d551017006?mt=8

EDIT: Sniped by May!
  • May likes this

#8 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Great video, May.

I have been using Clever for about a week and am very impressed. Both Clever and Everlog are the 2 go-to apps for Evernote on the iphone (as well as ipad though neither have a dedicated ipad app). I use Clever primarily for viewing and quick editing. Everlog is for quick and clear input of regular entries (incredible template options kind of like KustomNotes but on steroids and for the iphone).

By the way, Clever can run in landscape mode though there is bug which doesn't allow you to copy the note link in landscape mode.
  • May likes this

#9 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

By the way, Clever can run in landscape mode though there is bug which doesn't allow you to copy the note link in landscape mode.

I've seen it switch to landscape only in the edit note mode, AFAIK it doesn't switch to landscape when you browse notes and etc.

#10 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

I've seen it switch to landscape only in the edit note mode, AFAIK it doesn't switch to landscape when you browse notes and etc.

Strange. On both the ipad and iphone, I can browse the notes as well as edit in landscape.

#11 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hmm... Could you post a screenshot? I'm curios how the interface would look.

#12 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Here it is

Attached Files

#13 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

Thanks! doesn't work for me though on either iPhone or iPad and I'd really like to use it in landscape :)
I'll contact the developer, I was going to ask about URL schemes anyway since they also don't seem to work for me.

#14 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

Thanks! doesn't work for me though on either iPhone or iPad and I'd really like to use it in landscape :)
I'll contact the developer, I was going to ask about URL schemes anyway since they also don't seem to work for me.

No problem.

I haven't tried the url schemes. When I do, I will let you know if they work or not.

By the way, May, have you tried Everlog? I am curious to what others think of it. You can try out the lite/free version before purchasing.

#15 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

By the way, May, have you tried Everlog?

Haven't tried it yet, but I will eventually, it looks interesting.

#16 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

In the < 24 hours I've had this app, I've used it several times. It now resides on my iPad dock. I agree with May in that I hope they make a true iPad version. Now...I just have to figure out if I can upgrade my iPhone from iOS 5.0 to 5.1 (rather than 6), since 5.1 is untethered JB. THEN...I can use this on my iPhone!

(Repping May again for such a great find.)
  • May likes this

#17 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

In the < 24 hours I've had this app, I've used it several times. It now resides on my iPad dock. I agree with May in that I hope they make a true iPad version. Now...I just have to figure out if I can upgrade my iPhone from iOS 5.0 to 5.1 (rather than 6), since 5.1 is untethered JB. THEN...I can use this on my iPhone!

(Repping May again for such a great find.)

Yeah, I also appreciate how snappy the app works.

I use iPad all the time, and on the iPad my Evernote app is slow but still kind of OK because whenever I launch it - it usually doesn't download/sync (many) new notes since everything is pretty much constantly up to date all the time.

However I use iPhone infrequently and so my Evernote app on the iPhone is usually very out of date, and so whenever I launch it to quickly look something up - it starts downloading a huge amount of notes and lags all the time. It's really a pain to use.

With Clever this isn't a problem though, it's always fast.

#18 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Holy friggin' smokes!!! I used Fastever Snap in my home to send a photo of something to Evernote. THEN..., I called up that note in Clever. When I tap the I for the info about the note, Clever shows my exact home address!!! And when I tap on the address, it invokes the (standard?) map app & shows me the EXACT location!!! I find this equally cool & creepy weird. ;-)

This is DEFINITELY cool for shopping & finding out where I saw that thing I regret not buying, so I can return & see if it's still available!
  • May likes this

#19 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I looked up a note I'd sent from Fastever Snap a couple of weeks ago & it shows up In Clever as Naama, Algeria. I'm pretty sure that's wrong. So I dunno...
  • May likes this

#20 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Just wanted to share some amazing news that I found out from the developer:

Clever app for the iPad is already developed and is submitted to the App Store!
If all goes well then it'll be available in about 1 week.
I'm pretty sure it is going to replace the official Evernote client for me. Clever already has most of the features that I requested from Evernote on iOS!

As for the landscape mode, it's not supported on iOS5 but it works and will be supported since iOS6+.

I also resolved the problem with URL schemes, it was an error on my part, removing the "<" and ">" bracket symbols solved it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clever, evernote, client, third party, ios, iphone, review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote