iPad 3 stylus pens w/ finer tip

abbyrhode

I've been using the Bamboo stylus, which has a narrower tip than the Targus, but is also softer. I wish I could get a firmer tip in the size of the Bamboo (6 mm). The HAND stylus mentioned above looks interesting, but I don't know how many $30 styli I can afford! I might go that route, though, because it's retractable, which is great if I'm carrying it around (which is pretty much all the time). That's the turn-off for me with the Pogo Pro; it has no clip and I think you'd need to put it in its carrying pouch to protect the tip.

• Level 5*

I've been using the Bamboo stylus, which has a narrower tip than the Targus, but is also softer. I wish I could get a firmer tip in the size of the Bamboo (6 mm). The HAND stylus mentioned above looks interesting, but I don't know how many $30 styli I can afford! I might go that route, though, because it's retractable, which is great if I'm carrying it around (which is pretty much all the time). That's the turn-off for me with the Pogo Pro; it has no clip and I think you'd need to put it in its carrying pouch to protect the tip.

Yep. It is always in the carrying case. There is also a less-expensive Pogo with a clip. However, it is short (same length as Targus and Bamboo) and I don't like writing with it as much.

I've been using the Bamboo stylus. It's a great product but it's almost like using a water balloon taped on the end of a pencil. :huh:

Okay, maybe not that bad - but it's certainly not a precision writing instrument. I'd also be interested in something a little more precise with a little less "squishiness". I could also learn to stop writing like a child but I'm thirty four...I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Level 5*

I've been using the Bamboo stylus. It's a great product but it's almost like using a water ballon taped on the end of a pencil. :huh:

Okay, maybe not that bad - but it's certainly not a precision writing instrument. I'd also be interested in something a little more precise with a little less "squishiness". I could also learn to stop writing like a child but I'm thirty four...I don't see that changing anytime soon.

For me, the Pogo one has been a huge improvement. Also, as nice as Penultimate is, without a zoom box it just doesn't work for me. GoodNotes seems to be a little odd after iOS6, so my current favorite is my old favorite: NoteTakerHD. I'm looking forward to a Penultimate with a zoom box... I gave away my Bamboo, by the way. I couldn't go back.

Is there a plan to include support for the Pogo Connect? I have been a faithful Penultimte user for more than 2 years now, but compatibility with this stylus is a game breaker for me.

I ordered one last week, so I cannot attest to its performance yet, but it promises to eliminate stray marks, change the thickness of lines, and incorporates a more natural handwriting feel. I use Penultimate primarily for this purpose, so this is something that is very important to me.

Have fooled around with 4 or 5 of them (and a dozen-odd apps). Settled on Penultimate + HAND stylus. However: I remain disappointed with iPad's tablet-registration concept (grossly inferior to Palm V ca.1998 esp. in respect of data density achievable) and especially with the wrist-error problem (despite a number of apps incorporating detailed wrist-write protection, utility of the iPad as a handwriting registration device is seriously compromised by wrist touch). Reluctantly leaning on my old LiveScribe for HW>EN purposes, and yet more often on physical scribbles + ScanSnap with manual transcription attached in EN. The handwriting thing is just - not ready for prime time.

/Schooner

• Level 5

Have you turned off multitasking gesture support in the general settings Schooner? I think EN prompts to do so on the wrist protection page. Though I hate having to choose, it certainly makes a difference.

I have owned and used the following:

1. Pogo Stylus
  2. Bamboo Stylus
  3. Kensington Stylus
  4. Adinot Jot Stylus
  5. Hand Stylus

The Bambo is my favorite. But I agree, the tip, while 6mm, is too squishy. The Hand Stylus is my second favorite, however, the current problem I have with it is that the stroke or touch of the stylus tip is not always detected by the iPad; I've tried various nibs (tips) from different replacement packs. It can be frustrating to have words that are not legible because many characters are incomplete due to the stylus stroke cutting out mid-character. Navigating the iPad outside of Penultimate confirms this is a stylus or nib problem. I never have any issues with the bamboo. Every stroke is recognized, all the time no matter what app.

The problem I have the Adinot is that its hard plastic touching the iPad screen. While it's not scratching or damaging the screen, it produces a loud clicking sound I find really annoying. Also, there is no clip on it. So, there's that.

The Hand stylus would be the stylus that meets all my needs and wants in a stylus, except the part that is most important - recognition. It falls a little short there. I'm trying to tough through this issue. but I don't see it improving.

• Level 5

The problem I have the Adinot is that its hard plastic touching the iPad screen. While it's not scratching or damaging the screen, it produces a loud clicking sound I find really annoying. Also, there is no clip on it. So, there's that.

Ah that. I'm currently on the Jot flip. The cap has a clip, and I have a pen with just a twist. I'm OK with the tap given the precision.

I also have the Bamboo, and too find it too soft, and I need to order new tips now because the metal inside seems to have cut the nib from the inside out while in transit in my ipad carry case.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried several different styli, including those odd-looking things (can't remember the name) with the little plastic disc on the end of two prongs. And the Bamboo. And Targus. And Kensington. etc etc.

But what is the determining factor for the recognition and resolution? Why do we need such a big tip? (Yes I realise it's supposed to look like a finger tip to the iPad) - but it still only draws a fine line - that's a software-determined issue, not a recognition issue. Does the retina display, with more pixels, have a different recognition resolution to a non-retina display, for example?

Which begs the question - apart from Apple telling us that they don't intend the iPad to be used with a stylus but a finger, yet many people wanting a good stylus - why can't the iPad be made to recognise much smaller stylus tips, like the old Palm Pilot devices did? And like the Wacom tablets do? What an awesome device THAT would be - a Wacom-like tablet with all the iPad functions... Oh, hang on, did someone mention Samsung?

Incidentally, I thought I'd try to protect against palm smudges and marks using a piece of paper laid across the iPad. Works fine. But then I just ended up scribbling my notes on the paper...! ;)

I have owned and used the following:

1. Pogo Stylus
  2. Bamboo Stylus
  3. Kensington Stylus
  4. Adinot Jot Stylus
  5. Hand Stylus

The Bambo is my favorite. But I agree, the tip, while 6mm, is too squishy. The Hand Stylus is my second favorite, however, the current problem I have with it is that the stroke or touch of the stylus tip is not always detected by the iPad; I've tried various nibs (tips) from different replacement packs. It can be frustrating to have words that are not legible because many characters are incomplete due to the stylus stroke cutting out mid-character. Navigating the iPad outside of Penultimate confirms this is a stylus or nib problem. I never have any issues with the bamboo. Every stroke is recognized, all the time no matter what app.

The Hand stylus would be the stylus that meets all my needs and wants in a stylus, except the part that is most important - recognition. It falls a little short there. I'm trying to tough through this issue. but I don't see it improving.

Did want to at provide a minor update to my statement above:

1. Steve over at Handstylus has been very good with customer service. I have not regretted my choice to purchase the HandStylus and support him in his efforts. I did receive a defective tip right out of the box and he quickly responded to my email, late at night, to inform me he was rushing me a pack of 6 replacement tips. And he did exactly what he said.

2. Inside the Handstylus' case was a pointer that I failed to heed and it states something to the effect that because the HandStylus has a 4mm tip it requires more pressure than other larger styli. So one must find the sweet spot as they say. So I did some testing. I do now have better results and better consistency with recognition. But, the amount of pressure I have to put on the tip does not seem natural. I'm still adjusting.

Just wanted to add the above update

I tried the Jot stylus with an Android tablet with a Zagg screen protector. Felt like the tip was glued to the surface, no ability to rectord strokes.

I want a finer point.

For that category I think there are currently none other than the Adonis Jot models "ballpoint accuracy".

I'm currently the jot flip, stylus on one side, pen on the other.

• Level 5

True, that would be a key difference. The screen protector would increase the distance a little. So perhaps a tiny or marginal stylus may not work as well or slide as well.

I have a Smart Cover and protector on the back but my glass front is nekkid.

I think the Jot assumes a glass surface.

• Level 5

But what is the determining factor for the recognition and resolution? Why do we need such a big tip? (Yes I realise it's supposed to look like a finger tip to the iPad) - but it still only draws a fine line - that's a software-determined issue, not a recognition issue. Does the retina display, with more pixels, have a different recognition resolution to a non-retina display, for example?

Which begs the question - apart from Apple telling us that they don't intend the iPad to be used with a stylus but a finger, yet many people wanting a good stylus - why can't the iPad be made to recognise much smaller stylus tips, like the old Palm Pilot devices did?

You do realize you just mentioned three completely different technologies of digitizer (the electronic process of detecting the analog input of physical pointers and translating into a digital x y reference).

The palm pilot was a horrible resistive digitizer relying on two surfaces (one flexible) to make physical contact and make an electrical signal through a transparent grid of conductive traces, or a gradient of resistive areas. The flaw there was that that type of digitizer is prone to wearing out, it doesnt't support multi-touch, and requires a fine tip for accuracy (which is hard on the delicate flexible digitizer surface). Wow, when I think of all the palm and Handera screens I wore out back in the day.

The capacitive digitizer that modern tablets use, requires a certain type of material, something that has an electrical capacitance.

The sensor is calibrated to the capacitance of a finger. You can imagine that the sensor starts sensing your finger as it approaches the display. It needs to be tuned to ignore the signal until it reaches a certain "size" or strength, that equates to a finger on, not just near a screen.

Other objects can be used, like certain styluses a "hack" looking like a finger. But if you make it smaller, it doesn't register as strongly. To the iPad sensor that's going to look like a finger that is farther away and should be ignored. The trick for stylus manufacturers is to find materials which interact with the capacitive sensors in a stronger manner so that they can be made smaller and thus more precise.

Too small and you don't have a lot of margin for error. Thing like screen protectors might cut further into that margin.

Could Apple include two different types of sensors, a capacitive for fingers, and a Wacom sensor? Sure, but Apple doesn't believe in styluses, so we're stuck with our stylus hacks, that can be smaller than a finger, but not too small, and so not two precise.

The Adonit approach is to use that disk which still looks large to the capacitive sensor, but is see through so you don't lose visual precise-ness.

Then another approach I suppose is to supplement with a smart stylus and a smart app to make up for the limitations of the capacitive sensor. Adonit's jot touch uses Bluetooth and a short list of stylus aware apps to give Wacom like pressure sensitivity.

http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/

But for me, I'm too likely to lose my stylus, and with my handwriting and drawings, that's unneeded precision and expense.

@cwb: thanks for that detailed reply - much appreciated. I do understand that I was referring to three different technologies of touchscreen, but not being a techie, I wasn't sure why the best bits of 2 or all 3 couldn't be combined to give more users what they want. Presumably there is a decent sized market for styli - there are a lot of players in that market, with new ones coming on line every week nearly. So there must be a demand, I would think.

For me, the perfect combination of the Wacom-type technology and the existing capacitative technology would be perfect. Finger? No problem. Fine stylus with pressure sensitivity? No problem.

Wouldn't that be wonderful? Just think what we could do on our iPads THEN... Also, just how good the note-taking apps like Penultimate and all the others would be and may at least be potentially able to replace a paper notebook - finally? Certainly can't at the moment.

Ahh well - I'll dream on. :(

Thanks again for your explanation :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back - my Hand stylus arrived a couple of days ago, after I ordered it in response to reading the posts at the top of this thread.

And I have to say I'm very impressed. I have SEVERAL other styli, including the Bamboo one, and the one with the twin prongs and disc tip, and a Targus one, a Kensington one, and a few others. The search for a good stylus, in fact.

But this new Hand stylus seems to be the goods. The tip is fine enough to be much more accurate in use, it is retractable, it has a pocket clip and is magnetic and "sticks" to the edge of the iPad smartcover where the magnets are. In use, I haven't had any problems with it registering on the iPad yet (iPad 2), and have tried it out on several note-taking apps and several sketching apps. All good. The only problem - and it's a generic one - is the degree and effectiveness of the palm protection in the apps. But that is a function of the apps, not the stylus.

So, it would seem I may have found the answer - at least the best to date - thanks to those who suggested it at the top of this thread :) Thanks troops...!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hands-down the best stylus I've ever used is the Cosmonaut. I just picked one up used on Amazon for $13 shipped. It looks basically brand new but I got it for half price.

My main issue with all the other stylii I've used was the squishy tip. This does not have that issue. And it's not a flimsy, thin, pencil-looking stylus. It's built to look like and feel like an Expo marker. http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bamboo stylus.  You can order firmer tips for it that take a lot of the squishiness out.  You can order them at their website or at Amazon.

I recommend highly.

• 1 month later...

The new Serene stylus pen is awsome!!

It features the smallest nib tip in the industry for all touch screen tablets and smart phones. (only 4mm), where most stylus pens have 6 to 8mm tips. It also has a thin arrow designed billet aluminum tip for less screen obstruction, to do detailed work on your screen. Its perfect for writing and feels like a real pen. It also has an interchangeable silicone grip for added comfort, or if you prefer an aluminum grip, you can order that version as well.It comes with three free replacement tips inside the barrel. Its made out of aircraft grade aluminum billet, and comes in 7 different colors. Check it out at www.serenestylus.com

post-139676-0-92223300-1372189462_thumb.

post-139676-0-97909300-1372189489_thumb.

post-139676-0-51875800-1372189502_thumb.

• 2 months later...

I've used about a dozen different styli over the past three years and have finally found one that I think is perfect. I got the Cross Tech 3 pen and have found it to be incredibly responsive and accurate. I have spent over $40 on a stylus before (the Maglus), and nothing comes close to the ease with which I can write with the Cross Tech 3. Penultimate is so much easier to use with it.

And, the Cross Tech 3 has two pens and a pencil...which makes it super functional.

I rarely get so obsessive with a product, but I bought a pen for both my wife and my brother...they've both said it's the best stylus they've ever used.

I think the pen ranges from $30-$40 on Amazon in the US. The link is here. It's not a referral link...I have no dog in the hunt here. I have loved this pen though!

• 2 weeks later...

New relevant information: Evernote is selling physical objects themselves now and have a pre-order open for a bluetooth low-energy pen that has much better palm rejection technology. https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/stylus?sku=STYL001001

Comes out October 25th, 2013, less than a month from now.

Pogo also has a stylus with BTLE palm rejection, but chat support has confirmed with me today that it is not compatible with Evernote or Penultimate.

• Level 5

The pogo stylus seems anything but thin though too (though kudos for all the brush tips and pressure sensitivity).

The Adonit/Evernote stylus does seem the king of thin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Looks like shipping date is un-firm?  The site today still says, 4-6 weeks.

Scour as I may, I can't find a review or video with any hands on units yet.

Only reviews commenting on the marketing release.

The idea of a smaller and firmer tip is very attractive; but is anyone concerned about scratching the surface of your tablet? Please report on your experience with this issue. I'd love to hear it before I purchase one of the products mentioned here.

I've had a Wacom Bamboo for a couple years now and it's worked well in general. But the larger squishy tip is something I'd love to replace. But with what I've paid for the newer iPads, I'm very concerned about scratches.

• Level 5

Scratching won't be an issue.

You need a tip harder than glass to do that. This will still be a soft plastic/nylon/poly type nib. 

Scratching tends to occur only if grit comes between the screen and the stylus, which is then dragged across the screen.  So it's the grit not the stylus that did the scratching.

It's actually less likely to happen with this stylus than the big nibs of a Wacom Bamboo or the wide disks of the Jot pro/duo.

Jot-Script-point-size.jpg

What will be different depending on the nib shock absorption is the sound and feel.

Instead of a soft squishy silent feel, this could be a hard and tapping sound which was perhaps my only iffyness with my Jot duo, which had no dampening.  It was a bit harsh and loud.

My bamboo is on the other extreme, a silent imprecise squishy experience, which I actually find even more frustrating.

The design looks compatible with internal dampening, but we'll have to see.  Feel and sound, especially in the pen/stylus realm, is highly subjective and personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Scratching won't be an issue.

You need a tip harder than glass to do that. This will still be a soft plastic/nylon/poly type nib. 

Scratching tends to occur only if grit comes between the screen and the stylus, which is then dragged across the screen.  So it's the grit not the stylus that did the scratching.

It's actually less likely to happen with this stylus than the big nibs of a Wacom Bamboo or the wide disks of the Jot pro/duo.

Jot-Script-point-size.jpg

What will be different depending on the nib shock absorption is the sound and feel.

Instead of a soft squishy silent feel, this could be a hard and tapping sound which was perhaps my only iffyness with my Jot duo, which had no dampening.  It was a bit harsh and loud.

My bamboo is on the other extreme, a silent imprecise squishy experience, which I actually find even more frustrating.

The design looks compatible with internal dampening, but we'll have to see.  Feel and sound, especially in the pen/stylus realm, is highly subjective and personal preference.

The nib is apparently metal with some kind of a plastic sheath (invisible) protecting the nib from scratching the screen (a surprise considering what looked like a soft tip of some kind in all the photos). The racket comes more from the nib moving about in the stylus than from the stylus contacting the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

The nib is apparently metal with some kind of a plastic sheath (invisible) protecting the nib from scratching the screen (a surprise considering what looked like a soft tip of some kind in all the photos). The racket comes more from the nib moving about in the stylus than from the stylus contacting the screen.

Yup, very condom like. They say it can be replaced, though shouldn't ever need to.

But I'm not at all clear how that would be accomplished easily.

The tip IMO is the Achilles heel. Not up to Adonit's previous standards, way too much plastic used.

I'll post a full review when it's finished. But mine arrived damaged so I'm able to show the internal, and in my view, weakest point.

Here's the plastic sheath over the tip.

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020131125%2015

And the broken plastic which is all that keeps the metal tip of the stylus on.

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020131125%2015

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone tried the stylus by 53? It goes with the Paper app, and I was thinking about getting it but I wasn't sure if Penultimate would recognize it. Does Penultimate recognize just any Bluetooth stylus?

I use the Pencil stylus from 53; the walnut one with the magnet.  I also tried the Adonit Evernote Jot Script stylus at the same time, and I used both with the iPad Air.

I could never get over the clicking from the Adnoit Jot Script stylus. One of my first attempts was during a teleconference, and my colleagues on the other end of the call were asking what the clicking sound was. It was great to have a small tip, but just too loud on the glass -- it is disruptive in meetings, and doesn't seem to add significant accuracy. In my opinion, even the Jot Pro (with the plastic disc) wasn't as loud.

The Pencil has worked really well for me. It doesn't appear to connect directly to Penultimate (it shouldn't -- it's only designed to link to Paper), but I find that it's very accurate. I use it in Penultimate with iOS's multitasking gestures off (unfortunately -- a real loss), and I never have palm marks. (I also try to avoid how much I rest my palm on the screen.) I also use it with other apps like GoodNotes and Papers, for annotating and highlighting pdfs, with equal success.

The feel of the walnut Pencil stylus is really nice -- certainly different than slender pen-like styli, but I got used to it. The look of the stylus is really fantastic, and the magnet is the killer feature - it will stick quite well to my iPad Air, with or without a smart cover (I use the Miniot wood cover). It won't stay attached, say, in a jostling laptop bag, but it will stay attached when on a table or during a meeting. It won't roll off a table, and often sticks to tables with metal internal beams! Plus, it's relatively flat/thin, so its profile fits well with the iPad when stored in a sleeve.

My primary complaints in using it aren't really Pencil's fault: (1) there is still a very slight lag in screen capture of the marks, and (2) Penultimate's drift often just moves too fast. But my writing is more often negatively affected by #2 than #1.

Of the three styli that I've tried and mentioned above, it has definitely become my favorite. I originally bought an iPad Air, and Penultimate, when I heard about the Jot Script and the promise of accurate input recognition, but I quickly chose to stay with the Pencil.

Archived