My Evernote icon is gone

• Level 5*

All of a suddden my elephant icon is gone. How do I get it back?

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Could you tell us your operating system and the location of this missing icon? For example, are you running Evernote on the Mac and you are looking for the gray elephant icon (the Evernote helper icon) that used to be in the top menu bar? Or, are you using something else and looking for a different icon?

• 4 months later...

OS:  Windows 7.  Icon location: Menu bar, upper right corner of Internet Explorer 9 right next to OneNote icon.

At least, that's where it was until I realized it is missing.  Where is it?  How do I get it back?

When I tried right-clicking on the web page I wanted to save, the Save to Evernote option also wouldn't work right.  Is this problem related to the missing icon somehow?

Hi jsedward,

I am assuming that you have installed an update?

If so, on Windows it seems to remove the icon from the taskbar and I wonder if that is what you mean?

All you need do, is run the software again then right click the icon in the taskbar and tick 'pin this program to the taskbar'.

If that isn't it, then like GrumpyMonkey suggests you need to give us more information.

Hi Billiegoat,

Again, I assume you have probably installed an update?

In chrome I have seen this remove the clipper icon, is that what you mean? If so you will probably find that you it needs to re activated in the settings, but I am not on IE9 so cannot tell you where it is.

Best regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris: I have an elephant icon in the middle of my desktop and it 'silverlights' itself over anything that's placed over it.....how do I get rid of it?

SOP is RMB delete shortcut.....or Windows Explorer....Desktop....delete the shortcut from the list.

It's like it's part of the 'screen'....

Windows 8 Dell Laptop.

I'm about ready to KO Evernote from my machines, what a PITA!

Hi RJ Samp,

I think your problem is totally different from the OP.

I have no idea what SOP and RMP mean I'm afraid.

From what you say it seems like you have the normal desktop icon which is fine and normal from an install where you allowed the icon to be placed on the desktop. As to it 'silverlights' itself over anything that's placed over it I am struggling to understand that. Why would you place something over the icon? Certainly getting the lit box which is what I think you mean is again normal for any icon on the dekstop should you pass another icon over it.

So what happens if you drag the icon to the 'recycle bin'?

Best regards

Chris

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

RMP should have been RMB = Right Mouse Button

Windows\applications are placed OVER desktop icons all of the time, that's SOP. I have ZERO other icon's showing through an Excel Spreadsheet, Outlook, SQL Server Management Studio, et al.....except for an Elephant.

"Why would you place something over the icon? Certainly getting the lit box which is what I think you mean is again normal for any icon on the dekstop should you pass another icon over it."

Chris: this is a low point in customer service. I'm not passing icons over icons, I'm simply opening up applications and the elephant is the ONLY icon that shines through.

so why would I place something over the icon? It's dead smack in the middle of my screen and WindowS are open so I can do something with my laptop, that's why I'm placing something  over the icon. I have about 20 icons on the desktop, this is the only one that's appearing on top and lit.

When I try to drag the icon it doesn't move......there is no delete the icon popupmenu...it doesn't delete from the shortcuts in my Desktop......I don't see any option in Evernote to get rid of it.....or an option to turn it off.

Hi RJ Samp,

Not sure what you mean by:

'Chris: this is a low point in customer service.'

Do remember that we Evangelists are just users that have a little bit of experience and try to help other users like yourself. It can often mean a quicker turnaround for a problem. Do note that we are not Evernote Employees.

If I understand your problem correctly then I think this needs to be raised as a support ticket. Have you done so yet? If not it may be worth doing so. In the meantime I have flagged this for someone to look at your problem.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Chris is correct -- this is a user forum, and here we try to help each other out. If you want official Evernote support, that's what support requests are for.

In any case, I am baffled by your problem description. Please post a screen cap that would better illustrate what you are seeing.

You may try doing an uninstall/reinstall to fix this issue--sounds like the exact opposite of what the OP reported--that the Evernote icon is replacing other icons, or at the very least will not remove itself from your desktop.  Though this sounds like it may be an issue related directly to the OS.  I would submit a support ticket so we can further identify the bug.  Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, which I have just noticed for the first time.  I've been using Evernote for at least a couple of years on an Asus laptop running Win 7 with Chrome, Firefox and Explorer.  Tonight (in Chrome) the Evernote 'elephant' icon is missing from my toolbar.  (Still works normally in Firefox.)  I'm thinking this is somehow related to a Chrome update that I've also heard about that deleted the up and down arrows from the slider bar at the right side of the browser window (which has also happened very recently).  The current Chrome version is 32.0.1700.72 m.

Thanks.

PS:  Evernote is more valuable to me than Chrome.  If it's a browser issue, then I'll use another browser, but Evernote is vital!

• 1 year later...

This has been an ongoing issue with Evernote on Windows for years. Every few updates, they break it, then they fix it, then they break it...I hope someday they'll fix it. I wish Evernote had a cleaner/simpler update process vs. what looks like a re-install every time.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived