Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Evernote and Skitch for Windows

skitch

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Constantinou

Philip Constantinou

• Title: VP of Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hey folks -
We're very pleased to give you a first preview of Skitch for Windows now integrated with Evernote. Skitch will work as a standalone application or hand-in-hand with Evernote starting with the latest Evernote beta (v. 4.5.9 RC).

If you're unfamiliar with Skitch, here's what you need to know:
  • Skitch is designed to make communication clear, fast and enjoyable.
  • Skitch lets you annotate an photo or screenshot quickly with text, arrows, lines, and other shapes.
  • Skitch also has an awesome pixelate tool that can permanently obscure a portion of an image - this is great for sending a screenshot by quickly removing email addresses.
  • Skitch has acool little Drag Me tab at the bottom that makes it easy to drag an image and drop it into another application like email. Copy (Control-C) will also put the Skitch image on the clipboard
  • Skitch Notes are portable, if you create one on your iPhone and open it on Windows, you can edit the whole image, move arrows, crop, the works!
To get started:If you launch Skitch you can quickly take screenshots and save them to Evernote.

In Evernote you'll see a new New Skitch Note option under the New Note split button. This will kick off the screenshot tool and then open Skitch for markup.

Skitch Notes created in Skitch on Windows, Mac or iOS will have a special header within the note in Evernote. You can click the pencil icon to edit the Skitch which will launch Skitch. Hitting "Use" will save the modifications back to Evernote.

Here's what we need from you:
  • First, please don't publicly post information about Skitch for Windows. We've still got more improvements to make, but wanted to get your feedback before we tell the world about it.
  • Second, this is a beta so there's going to be bugs. Don't create your PhD thesis in Skitch in the next couple weeks.
  • Let us know what works well and what's problematic. We really want to make Skitch on Windows awesome. When you encounter problems, please let us know what OS you're using (XP, Win7, Vista, etc.)
A few known problems:
  • Multi-monitor support could be better
  • Some problems with image crop and resize
Thanks!

#2 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I have been waiting for this for a long while :P

Skitch Notes created in Skitch on Windows, Mac or iOS will have a special header within the note in Evernote. You can click the pencil icon to edit the Skitch which will launch Skitch. Hitting "Use" will save the modifications back to Evernote.

That has been there a while (since I use the android skitch), got me in trouble when I first noticed it :P

Issues I noticed:

- New Skitch Note button in toolbar

-- This doesn't always work, sometimes I get a normal EN screenshot and nothing happens with skitch.
-- The dropdown menu option for this leaves the ghost menu option when selected.

- Massive Pink Banner - I guess an issue with the RC?

-- click on the pencil
-- add something to the image (not sure if necessary)
-- minimise Evernote
-- Click use in Skitch
-- Return to Evernote - I see the pink bar has become very large.

- Incompatability with Android Version?

-- Items added to images in Windows are not editable in Android.
-- Arrows added in Android are not seen windows.
-- Use of both on an image (though not at the same time) leads to differing images (that I can see) and conflicting notes (that EN reports)

Windows 7 64bit.

#3 klang

klang

• Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi! Thanks for the useful feedback.

-- Items added to images in Windows are not editable in Android

The current Android version doesn't open Skitch Document files (something we're working on) so I believe you may be opening the flat image (with the arrows etc "burnt it") in Android which is why they're not editable.

Can you screenshot the massive pink banner? Wanting to make sure it's at least as intended, even if a bit pink for your liking.

#4 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hi! Thanks for the useful feedback.

-- Items added to images in Windows are not editable in Android

The current Android version doesn't open Skitch Document files (something we're working on) so I believe you may be opening the flat image (with the arrows etc "burnt it") in Android which is why they're not editable.

I am using the Android EN and Skitch Betas. They do have the skitch to EN functionality in them.

Windows to android -> Android recognises that it is a skitch image, and opens it, but shows the flat image.

Android to Windows -> Some edits (done in android) don't show, like arrows. In the windows client, they aren't there, and then are lost when the image is saved again. Will have to test some more tomorrow, not exactly sure what the process is to replicate it is yet.

For instance, I just opened an image from the windows client that had arrows added to it in the android skitch. One of the arrows doesn't show. I am not sure why.

Can you screenshot the massive pink banner? Wanting to make sure it's at least as intended, even if a bit pink for your liking.

Sure. The bar itself doesn't bother me, just the vertical height when this happens. I should mention that switching to another note and back again fixes it though, so it isn't a major thing.

Screenshot:
http://www.evernote....2c9df1f0d5fc8d0

#5 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Is that consistently reproducible for you? I can't seem to get it to happen. I'll about ready to try doing all your steps while standing on one foot to see if that helps
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#6 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

This is great news! Works on XP too.

The only comment I have is I'd like an easy way to clear the current image. For example, File -> New or something similar that will give you a blank canvas. I tried Ctrl-A to select all and then Ctrl-X to cut/delete the current image, but that didn't work. If there's a way to do this already just let me know.

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#7 Manveru1986

Manveru1986

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hello!
I have English Windows 7 with Polish Regional setting but installed has run in this language, don't know, maybe it's swedish? Posted Image
Michał Newiak

#8 OwenKelly

OwenKelly

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

I installed the two applications. Then I opened Google Maps and took a screen grab using Ctrl-Shift-5..Skitch opened and I added a caption and clicked to add to Evernote. I went to Evernote and opened it. It was titled Screenshot 10/12/12 7:54PM. I went to change the title to something more useful. When I selected the title to edit it a dialog popped up saying "This note was created in another application".

There seems to be no way at the moment to retitöe the notes, and Skitch doesn't offer you the chance to title it in the first place. But I think this will be absolutely fantastic when it is ready :)

Cheers
Owen

#9 klang

klang

• 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks — we're looking into those issues now. We appreciate the detailed feedback.

#10 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

roschler,

At the moment, the only option that I can see is to create a new blank image by clicking on the arrow on the end of the screensnap button.

I would also echo your request for a clear/easier blank image option. :)

OwenKelly

This is a limitation of the Evernote Clients as a whole at the moment.
Currently, all applications that interact with Evernote in a similar way to skitch (Food, Hello) set a value for contentClass. When this field is populated, it locks the note to that app, and doesn't allow you to edit it in any way.

I believe that the ultimate goal is to allow the other EN clients to interact better with these apps (like setting titles etc) but right now, this is how they all behave.

For the mean time, the ability to title the note from skitch may be a solution? Please Evernote? ;)

Ok, my turn. :)

Is that consistently reproducible for you? I can't seem to get it to happen. I'll about ready to try doing all your steps while standing on one foot to see if that helps

Yes, it happens every time. I even tried on one foot myself. No change. :P

Issue

I have an image from Evernote skitch. It was a screenshot that I added to (going past the image boundary, if it is important)
Opening it in Skitch Win cuts of part of the image. Is there some maximum size of some images?
I can provide the note if needed.

Requests

- I would love to have more zoom ability. Currently, it is 100/75/50%. I would love to be able to zoom more finely, so my additions are better placed etc. (even past 100% please ;))

- Similar to roschler's request of clearing the image, I would love a quick option for a new image. Perhaps a shortcut that provides the different image options. Clicking on the small arrow can be a little tricky sometimes.

- Can we have an "Open With" option for skitch? Currently, I have added a shortcut to skitch to the shendto folder, and that works nicely. :)

Thanks!

Scott

#11 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

roschler,

At the moment, the only option that I can see is to create a new blank image by clicking on the arrow on the end of the screensnap button.

I would also echo your request for a clear/easier blank image option. :)

OwenKelly

Currently, all applications that interact with Evernote in a similar way to skitch (Food, Hello) set a value for contentClass. When this field is populated, it locks the note to that app, and doesn't allow you to edit it in any way.

I believe that the ultimate goal is to allow the other EN clients to interact better with these apps (like setting titles etc) but right now, this is how they all behave.

For the mean time, the ability to title the note from skitch may be a solution? Please Evernote? ;)

Ok, my turn. :)

Yes, it happens every time. I even tried on one foot myself. No change. :P

Issue

I have an image from Evernote skitch. It was a screenshot that I added to (going past the image boundary, if it is important)
Opening it in Skitch Win cuts of part of the image. Is there some maximum size of some images?
I can provide the note if needed.

Requests

- I would love to have more zoom ability. Currently, it is 100/75/50%. I would love to be able to zoom more finely, so my additions are better placed etc. (even past 100% please ;))

- Similar to roschler's request of clearing the image, I would love a quick option for a new image. Perhaps a shortcut that provides the different image options. Clicking on the small arrow can be a little tricky sometimes.

- Can we have an "Open With" option for skitch? Currently, I have added a shortcut to skitch to the shendto folder, and that works nicely. :)

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks Scott!

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#12 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Scott!

-- roschler

You're welcome :)

So, I have just discovered, right clicking on an image, shows a menu option for markup with skitch. Awesome!

It is a one time thing, and you cannot go back and edit images later on, so be careful with it. ;)

I would adjust my request then, to have skitch ask (similar to the android client) whether to append the image or replace it. (Personally, I pretty much always append the image)

(Though an open with option for outside of EN would also be useful ;))

Scott

#13 OwenKelly

OwenKelly

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

OwenKelly

Scott

I second that. Here is an example of why.

When I took my screenshot and annotated it in Skitch, it was a detail from Google Maps showing me how to get to the vet where I need to take our cat. I wanted it to be titled:"Helsinki: Vet, 123 Example Street", so that I could store it in my Maps & Journey notebook. This notebook contains a large set of such maps for different places in different cities that I have needed to find and may need to find again. Imagine having a notebook of 40 or more annotated maps, all titled according to the time and date they happened to be created! It would be almost unusable without a lot of extra work adding tags and additional text to be searched...

I do not mind at all where I can title then (Evernote or Skitch), only that I can somehow give them meaningful titles. If this is indeed the standard behaviour for Evernote helper apps then may I humbly suggest that Skitch is too powerful and too potentially important to be boxed in like this.

Cheers
Owen

#14 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I second that. Here is an example of why.

When I took my screenshot and annotated it in Skitch, it was a detail from Google Maps showing me how to get to the vet where I need to take our cat. I wanted it to be titled:"Helsinki: Vet, 123 Example Street", so that I could store it in my Maps & Journey notebook. This notebook contains a large set of such maps for different places in different cities that I have needed to find and may need to find again. Imagine having a notebook of 40 or more annotated maps, all titled according to the time and date they happened to be created! It would be almost unusable without a lot of extra work adding tags and additional text to be searched...

I do not mind at all where I can title then (Evernote or Skitch), only that I can somehow give them meaningful titles. If this is indeed the standard behaviour for Evernote helper apps then may I humbly suggest that Skitch is too powerful and too potentially important to be boxed in like this.

Cheers
Owen

Yep, I can see that.

As far as I remember, the other apps allow titles/tags/other stuff related to their function to be added from within them so this is not such a problem.

With skitch however, it will become an issue, like you describe.

In the mean time, My suggestion would be to use skitch to markup the image until you are finished with it. Then create another note with all of the text/other information/etc that you want to use in conjunction with the image and then merge the two. (Merging removes the skitch function with that image, and allows later additions to the note.

(Just a note, when merging, the original notes (including the skitch markup note) should be sent to the trash, so you should be able to recover them later if you need to edit further.

Scott

#15 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

This needs to be added to Evernote. For Skitch + Evernote users:

http://news.brown.ed...012/09/sketches

:)

-- roschler

#16 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Another request from me:

- Finer size control.
Currently there are only 3 different sizes that you can select. Please can we have more?

Thanks,

Scott

#17 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Another request from me:

- Finer size control.
Currently there are only 3 different sizes that you can select. Please can we have more?

Thanks,

Scott

Is this size of the tools? Like brush thickness, etc?
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#18 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• 1,843 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Another request from me:

- Finer size control.

Thanks,

Scott

Is this size of the tools? Like brush thickness, etc?

Yes, in the colour selector :)

#19 Manveru1986

Manveru1986

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Are you planning to add Sharing to social networks options? It would be really useful! :)
Michał Newiak

#20 Jeff510

Jeff510

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I don't mind that there is a banner identifying a Skitch file, but man, that pink is kind of a harsh color. I realize that is the traditional Skitch pink, but I'd prefer a more subdued Evernote green or something less of an affront to the eyes.

Also, beware of using "Open with" Skitch for image files. I just found out that if you do that and edit the file, and click "use" it will overwrite your original image file with a flat version of the annotated file.

Looks like the same result if I open the Skitch file from the Evernote note...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Clip to Evernote