(Archived) Any help with figuring out local files

savaloi

Idea

Hi, just a quick question.

I was wondering about offline notebooks. I want to start storing everything in an offline secured notebook (ie pdf's, confidential files, etc) in an encrypted folder, but I have only just started using Evernote and Im already half way through my free quota, will 1GB really sufice, or is there a way to just access the files locally and the file itself will not be part of my monthly quota, if that makes sense? And any suggestions on the best way to setup local folders so any notebooks saved locally will be saved directly to an encrypted folder locally.

Also, does anyone know what the best method for shrinking PDF's would be? For example I have a PDF ebook that is 2.2MB, is there a way to attach a compressed version of this, or any other suggestions on how to shrink down attachments.

Thank you all

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

On the Mac, you don't have offline notebooks, you have local notebooks, which are stored locally on your machine (as are all notebooks for the Mac client) but are not synced to the Evernote cloud (so they don't count against your monthly quota). You designate a notebook as local when you create it, and I don't believe that that can be changed later on (although you can always create a notebook of the other kind and move your notes into that). Flip side is that since the local notebook isn't synced, its content isn't available on other devices. As far as I know, you cannot designate a separate location for storage of notes in a local notebook; I'm pretty sure that the Mac client uses the fiel system to store notes and I don't know how that interacts with encryption.

Great, thank you for your reply.

I'm very sceptical about securely deleting notebooks etc from the cloud, any idea as to what happens once notebooks are deleted? Sounds very anal, but I'm just worried about having deleted a notebook, what the process is, and what happens to the deleted data etc (does encrypting the notebook first and then deleting secure the deletion in any way?) Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Great, thank you for your reply.

I'm very sceptical about securely deleting notebooks etc from the cloud, any idea as to what happens once notebooks are deleted? Sounds very anal, but I'm just worried about having deleted a notebook, what the process is, and what happens to the deleted data etc (does encrypting the notebook first and then deleting secure the deletion in any way?) Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "securely deleting notebooks etc from the cloud". But the saying goes...once in the cloud, it's always in the cloud. I'm not sure how true it is, but it's certainly worth thinking that way b/c it's probably mostly true. Maybe not accessible by the masses but certainly probably true in the respect that it lives on a hosted server's backup...somewhere. IE, If I were Evernote, I'd be able to retrieve backups from my servers from one year ago. Certainly that's the way it is at my work. If I need to pull up data from the way things were a year ago today, I can do it. So if your credit card statement had been uploaded to the EN servers at that time & subsequently deleted, then it's still living on that EN backup. And anyone with access to that backup from a year ago & clearance to user's accounts (two totally different things, so we're talking about someone higher up), then they would have access to your cc statement. Of course, one would expect that in this particular case, there would be nothing bad come from it. But it's just something (IMO) to keep in mind as a user... Hence the saying, "once in the cloud, always in the cloud."

As Jeff pointed out, there are offline notebooks (not on Mac) and local/non-sync'd notebooks (only available on Mac/Windows client.) As to whether 1 gb will suffice, only you can answer that. WRT shrinking PDFs, remember, when you shrink files, you lose resolution. (Or something like that.) In the distant past, I'd been scanning some things at 200 dpi. Then I realized when I needed to call up the doc that it was fuzzy. Since that time, I scan at no less than 300 dpi. Point is, if you reduce the size of your PDFs, be sure they are still legible, should you need to print them out for any reason.

Thanks for the info BurgersNFries, I see what you mean about it being in the cloud for good, this is just a little unerving for me, like you said it will stay in the backup even after deletion, just thought there may be a way to securely delete that info so it is no longer in the cloud.

Good point with the resolution aspects, I tried shrinking a pdf using the native save as reduced size pdf, but it only saved me about .4MB (better than nothing), thought there may be a way to almost zip the PDF file so it really shrinks it down, but again, I guess the documents legibility would probably suffer as a result.

Thanks again for your help

Hi, just a quick question.

I was wondering about offline notebooks. I want to start storing everything in an offline secured notebook (ie pdf's, confidential files, etc) in an encrypted folder, but I have only just started using Evernote and Im already half way through my free quota, will 1GB really sufice, or is there a way to just access the files locally and the file itself will not be part of my monthly quota, if that makes sense? And any suggestions on the best way to setup local folders so any notebooks saved locally will be saved directly to an encrypted folder locally.

Also, does anyone know what the best method for shrinking PDF's would be? For example I have a PDF ebook that is 2.2MB, is there a way to attach a compressed version of this, or any other suggestions on how to shrink down attachments.

Thank you all

PDF Shrink works great once you dialed in the settings. It cuts my statement scans at least in half, still completely legible.

Archived