(Archived) Seeing child tasks by selecting the parent tag

alwayzambitious

Idea

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

No, not by clicking on the Parent tag.

You are thinking of hierarchical tags. That would be a great feature in Evernote.

Just imagine, save time and stay on top of your growing collection of notes by creating tag hierarchies that span from the general to the very specific. For example, say you’ve created this tag structure: Transportation | Cars | Vintage. When you assign an note of a Model-T to the Vintage tag, it automatically gets added to the higher level tags. Click on a tag to display all of the files assigned to that keyword. Create as many levels of tags as you need to fully and accurately classify your notes. That would be awesome, but....

Since it is not possible, to link all the children tags, I use a 3 character prefix to my tags. I do not go further than 2 levels. Example:

Company

Com-Amazon

Com-Charter

Com-Target

To find all children, I would search for tag:Com-*

There are many possibilities.

Parent / Child prefix

Family / Fam-

Government / Gov-

Insurance / Ins-

Medical / Med-

Personal / Per-

Taxes / Tax-

No, not by clicking on the Parent tag.

You are thinking of hierarchical tags. That would be a great feature in Evernote.

Just imagine, save time and stay on top of your growing collection of notes by creating tag hierarchies that span from the general to the very specific. For example, say you’ve created this tag structure: Transportation | Cars | Vintage. When you assign an note of a Model-T to the Vintage tag, it automatically gets added to the higher level tags. Click on a tag to display all of the files assigned to that keyword. Create as many levels of tags as you need to fully and accurately classify your notes. That would be awesome, but....

Since it is not possible, to link all the children tags, I use a 3 character prefix to my tags. I do not go further than 2 levels. Example:

Company

Com-Amazon

Com-Charter

Com-Target

To find all children, I would search for tag:Com-*

There are many possibilities.

Parent / Child prefix

Family / Fam-

Government / Gov-

Insurance / Ins-

Medical / Med-

Personal / Per-

Taxes / Tax-

@jbenson2's workaround isn't very useful for me.

Because it's hard to remember the whole hierarchical system when the system has several stratification.

For example, if I have to tag Japan's middle age history, the heirarchies would be " History→Asia→Japan→middle age".

So the tags should be "Hst→Hst-As→Hs-As-Jp→Hs-As-Jp-ma" ?!

Instead of tag it "middle age", I have to tag it Hs-As-Jp-ma. I can't really remember all the relations if I have a lot of tags

I will be really annoyed by tags while tagging if I adapt your workaround.

Your workaround is nice when you finish all the tagging and have to arrange the tags, but is not nice when tagging.

The whole hierarchical tag system EN use now is somehow incapable of sorting things.

It seems there're people with the same need, so I hope EN team will allow:

To make search engine to include child tags when searching a parent tag.

Or auto tagging:

For example, when I have Note A, B, C with tag 1, and I move the tag 1 under tag 2 as tag 2's sub-tag.

I hope evernote will auto-tag the note A, B, C with tag 2.

Give the parent tag to the notes with child tag, not only when the tag move occurs. And remove the old parent tag when new parent tag is given. If I want to keep old parent tag, I can add it manually. This will have the advantages of both hierarchical system and tag. It will allow hierarchy with nested tags (vertical ) and allow horizontal link of notes with single tag.

• Level 5

@jbenson2's workaround isn't very useful for me.

Because it's hard to remember the whole hierarchical system when the system has several stratification.

For example, if I have to tag Japan's middle age history, the heirarchies would be " History→Asia→Japan→middle age".

So the tags should be "Hst→Hst-As→Hs-As-Jp→Hs-As-Jp-ma" ?!

As I stated, I only use two levels - Parent and Child - Its very easy to remember, even for me.

I'm sure you realize that periodizing blocks of time inevitably overlap, and they will often conflict with or contradict one another. It's almost impossible to have a clean hierarchical set of folders and subfolders. But Evernote's tags, search engine, and well-structured titles will find the appropriate notes.

Regarding the issue involving the history of Japan during the Middle Ages, all you need to do is add an additional tag.

Loc-China

Loc-Japan

Loc-Singapore

History

Hst-Late-Antiquity

Hst-Middle-Ages

Hst-Meiji-Era

So I would tag the note with just two tags

Loc-Japan + Hst-Middle-Ages

To find Middle Ages notes on Japan, I would search for

tag:Loc-Japan tag:Hst-Middle-Ages

If this is not sufficient, I would add keywords such as Asia at the end of the note.

Sorry for misreading. I didn't notice that you only use two level.

And I made a mistake on classification of the hierachical system.

But sometimes it's difficult to make it two level.

Take the example which is revised by you.

What if I have a more detailed classfication?

Like:

Location-China-Shaanxi-Xian (if I have to know that Xian is in Shaanxi)

Location-Germany-Bayern-München

I really don't know how can I keep it with only 2 level.

This will take much time when I figure it out.

And I have many tags system that's more than 4 level. ( Sometimes the structure is from books I'm studying at, and I have to keep its structure for quick referance.)

I'm not able to transfer my system to your system.

So I still hope EN will solve the tagging system problem.

• Level 5*
Another vote for fixing this in Evernote. This would be HUGE for me. I'm going to give Taggy a try.

There's nothing to fix; it's by design. That being said, I know that it would be useful in some cases to have this available as an option. Suggestions have been made to modify the search grammar to allow for hierarchical tag search, while retaining the current behavior. Nothing so far.

Sooo... it's been a while, people been asking for this feature in several posts, what's new?

Evernote premium support team to the rescue?
I'm posting this comment also here btw.

Just wanted to share why I see this as essential:

In general, seeing notes in indented/"child" tags should be possible to do so just like we can see all the notes when looking at a stack of notebooks, even the "child" notebooks.

Example - In order to make things simpler, I, like many other, use a minimum amount of notebooks and based most of my activity on tags (for greater flexibility with multi-level indenting, and multi-tagging, unlike notebooks).
So I have an REFERENCE notebook for all non-action/project items, and for this example let's use:

• FOOD
    • Fav Wines
    • Fav Cheese
    • Restaurants
      • 2go2
      • Favorites
      • Veggie friendly
    • Recipes
      • 2try
      • Favorites
      • From Mom
      • SOUPS
        • Hot
        • Cold
      • COCKTAILS
      • UNDER30min
      • etc etc etc etc...
So as you can see I can't use a notebook for it due to the deep level of indentation (thumbs up for allowing this to happen in notebooks! :-))
But then when I'm creating that in Tags I run into the problem of not finding the notes I need cause I don't always remember exactly which in what category of "recipes" I've entered "summer pie" - was it in "from mom"? 2try?
I would just like to have a quick look on ALL notes inside the parent-tag Recipes.

Now this is a very specific example, and perhaps a bit silly (it's only food right? ;-) you even have a separate app for that) but this is true for any other use of tags in a multi-layer indenting format.

I'm positive many other can identify with that, and especially users of TheSecretWeapon!

Would love a respond to how the EN team are going to solve it soon (Multi-indentation of notebooks/stacks finally? Or via adding the ability to see all notes inside "parent" tags)

All the best

• Level 5

After looking at your list, I can see your confusion. The list is a shotgun view of many different topics.

What I would do is first spend some time to identify what is important.

Just like Genealogy and other hobbies, I'd recommend software designed to accomplish what you are looking for.

http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I doubt that Evernote will satisfy your requirement.

jbenson2, have you ever used the Delicious bookmarks extension for Firefox and seen how their tagging system worked?  It was probably the best tagging system I've ever seen because it was "hierarchical" so to speak, automatically, in "all directions".  For instance, if I saved the Evernote site as a bookmark, and tagged it "software", "PIM": and "information manager" it would automatically create a hierarchy of tags like this:

Information Manager

• PIM
  • Software

PIM

• Information Manager
  • Software

Software

• Information Manager
  • PIM

Of course as you tagged other things they would also show up in those hierarchy's, as appropriate.  In a nutsell, it was a great way to look for what you wanted because I could start by clicking Software to instantly see everything with those tags, and THEN see how many items that were tagged "software" also had other tags and progressively drill down.  Of course I could have also started with the tag PIM etc., it didn't really matter where you started it was easy to instantly filter to what you wanted.

Hopefully I've explained that in a way that makes sense.

I found it to the best representation of the power of tags, it made folder hierarchies obsolete in the truest sense, and didn't require the use of "fake" tag hierarchies as in EN.  Not that I think EN's way of doing it is bad, but IMO it limits the true power of tags.

• Level 5

No I haven't used it. I thought del.icio.us went bankrupt.

Because of my membership with LastPass, I use Xmarks to manage my bookmarks.

But to be honest, I don't have much need for a hierarchical listing of my bookmarks.

I'm sure you realize that periodizing blocks of time inevitably overlap, and they will often conflict with or contradict one another.  It's almost impossible to have a clean hierarchical set of folders and subfolders.

That's a better way of saying it, that's what i was trying to express above, with the tagging system Delicious implemented the overlap was fine, since you "every" tag was a hierarchical structure so to speak.  Of course the downside to that system would be for people that A, want multiple levels, or B, want to create a rigid tag hierarchy aka Evernote where a tag can only show up under one parent.

Good to see all the comments here.

jbenson2 - Regarding ur recommendation for a food-app, I only used that as an example (as I mentioned a few times). I'm dealing more with music projects and tasks actually :-)
I also wouldn't mind if the current tagging limitations stay, but then I would expect at some point a deeper hierarchy indentation with notebook/stacks (deeper than 1 level).

It's also the inconsistency in how the web-ios-windows apps all behave that causes me for a lot of confusion in this regard (mainly the fact that tags are not presented in an indented format at all on ios! along many other inconsistencies...:-( )

Archived