Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Best workflow for capturing written notes

evernote page camera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RickABQ

RickABQ

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone figured out a good workflow for using Page Camera to record their notes? My Smart Notebook is on order, but I currently use a "regular" Moleskine for note taking. (Still waiting for iPad version of Evernote to add back the ink features that I used years ago on my windows tablet machine! But I digress.). My notes tend to be snippets of all kinds of info, like ideas, calculations, meeting notes, lists, etc.

My first thought was to create a separate "Moleskine" Evernote notebook which is synced to all my devices. Then I would use Page Camera to snap photos of each page, either when I'm done with it, or more likely periodically catch up. Should each page be in a separate Evernote note? Or should I have one long note with every page from the Moleskine? Each has pros and cons. The single note is easier to scroll through, but it might get too big for my portable devices to manage. Individual notes don't have the problem of getting too big, but every note automatically gets a useless title like "Snapshot from <location>", and the page capture process is much more tedious. On the other hand, the smart tags (or any tag) would be more useful if the entire notebook wasn't crammed into a single Evernote note.

So, has anybody figured out the best workflow for this?

#2 mscottveach

mscottveach

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

Did you ever figure anything out for this? I just got a smart notebook and have been playing around; I really don't like how they just string pages together as one pic after another...

...I really wish there was a way to create a virtual notebook that mimicked by moleskine.. ala a kindle book... i could turn pages, etc...

#3 joerwood

joerwood

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm still figuring this out also; but what seems to be working is to write all my notes for a day in the moleskine notebook, then take the picture of those pages the next morning. I give the page a name that contains the date and tag it with a .DailyNotes tag. They get indexed pretty quickly, so if I need to search for anything, I just do a search for a word that I know is in the note - often a client name or project keyword. Its still a work in progress, but this method is working pretty well. I'm very happy with the Evernote/Moleskine marriage.

#4 pkazmier

pkazmier

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Joerwood: thanks for sharing your workflow. My smart notebook arrived today and I was trying to figure out how best to capture and organize. I think I'll end up doing something similar. I'll probably tweak a bit as I won't want to snap the last page of notes in a day if I haven't reached to bottom of the page yet. My note taking has been limited lately and I may only fill half a page a day.

In terms of tagging, I was also thinking of tagging each note with a mixture of tags associated with any of my notes for the day. For example, I attend many meetings on varied and unrelated topics, but when I tag my daily journal note, I will tag the note with all of the appropriate tags so I can easily find it later (sometimes the tag associated with the note is not evident from the contents of the notes otherwise I could simply rely on the indexing).

Would love to hear how other people are using their moleskine with Evernote.

#5 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

@RickABQ Have you considered using a Livescribe Sky Pen? They also do a range of different pads/journals.

http://www.livescrib...23002/c-107.htm

Key thing it syncs by WiFi to EN and updates pages you started last month or whenever.

#6 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

@RickABQ Have you considered using a Livescribe Sky Pen? They also do a range of different pads/journals.

http://www.livescrib...23002/c-107.htm

Key thing it syncs by WiFi to EN and updates pages you started last month or whenever.

Mike you beat me to it.

Whilst it may be a costly option, for me it is the perfect one.

However, you may want to wait until they fix the ios bug. Basically when you upload your notes and go back the following day, if you look on an ios device the previous days notes are then deleted. They are still on your pen if you make this mistake and they can re set your 'livescribe' account to get them back as temporary fix.

They are working madly to fix this problem which they indicate is an Evernote one! But I guess they would say that wouldn't they!!

Regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#7 joerwood

joerwood

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

LIVESCRIBE: I noticed the new WiFi pen recently and think it's a cool option for some people. I was an early adopter of the LiveScribe pen. I stopped using it, though, about a year ago. While this may sound a bit petty, it was a hassle keeping it charged and sync'd with my PC. I didn't like having to turn it on to use it. And I was always worried about losing it while I was travelling. The Evernote Moleskine solution doesn't have any of those problems and gives me all of the benefits when combined with Evernote. And the Moleskine notebooks just have a great "feel." I enjoy writing in them.

TAGS: pkazmier, I like your comment about using multiple tags. Believe it or not, I'd not considered that. I'm going to start using it. I've discovered that in the Evernote desktop application, you can just drag and drop tags from the left side panel into a note. So dropping my project tags onto a page will be a breeze. Thanks for the idea.

#8 joerwood

joerwood

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Here's another helpful idea: I number each page in my Evernote Moleskine notebook so I can quickly get to the hardcopy notebook and page if I need to after an Evernote search. I number my pages like this: B1-10 means Business Notebook 1, Page 10. I have notebooks for both business and personal notes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote, page camera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote