I advise Skitch current users not to Upgrade to 2.0

fargione

Idea

Please restore the previous version of Skitch.

I "Upgraded" to the latest version of Skitch 2.0 and as soon as i opened it i realised my mistake.

Almost everything that made Skitch an essential everyday tool for me has gone.

One of the worst decisions Evernote has made is to mess with Skitch.

They could have cleaned up the interface a little but should not have interfered with how it works.

I am particularly annoyed that you are now forced to save all your screenshots to your Evernote account.

What were you thinking Evernote, you have broken it and it is now worse than the Macs default screenshot utility.

However i see elsewhere on this Forum that is possible to roll back and reinstall the older version.

Hope it works.

27 replies to this idea

No worries. Tried another version and the issue has gone. Skitch opens. 

I apologise for digging up an old thread.

I have a favour to ask.

Ever since Skitch 2 came out, I have avoided updating.

For my workflow and usage,, I absolutely must have the watermark feature that Skitch 1.x has.

Today I inadvertently removed what I assume was the old Skitch sharing account details from Skitch. Not sure why I did that!

But now I can't open Skitch 1.x

It goes to a blank window (which I assume attempted to load a webpage that no longer exists, for adding in Skitch account details). The window header starts out by saying "Updating your skitch account".

I've looked through the app and the plist files, etc., so see if I could find somewhere to manually enter in my old Skitch account details. No luck.

The only other solution I can think of is if someone would be kind enough to send me their copy of the following:

- the Skitch.app  (in case the old account details are stored in there)

- the com.skitch.skitch.plist   file, located in ~/Library/Preferences

I figure uploading the file to Dropbox (or similar) is the best way to go. I can let you know when I have downloaded it, so it can be removed. Best to PM me the link.

By the way... Today I tried out 6 or more snapshot apps, and read up on numerous others, and none of them have water marking like Skitch 1.x does. Which is why it seems my only decent option is to try and get Skitch going again.

Thank you...

Sigh... I've clung to my 1.x version of Skitch forever, and been thrilled - totally THRILLED with it.  Clean, usable.  With it and Evernote, my life moved smoothly.  I feared when Evernote bought Skitch that things would change for the worse, and they certainly have... But I stayed with 1.x and was happy.

This week, however, I upgraded my iMac to Mountain Lion and now Skitch crashes.  It simply won't run.

I've downloaded Skitch 2.6x looked at it, and hated it.  There is no way I will use something with so much STUFF all over it... I just want a screen cap utility, with a few minor tweaks made possible.  And a history.  A LOCAL history.

What a mess... And what a shame.  I can't remember how many years I've been using Skitch, certainly well back in beta.  If this is the Alpha, then I'm done.  Really sorry, guys, but you've destroyed this program.

Although I'm late to this party, I concur with all of the negative sentiment.  I don't want to sync my Skitch notes to Evernote, so I stuck them in a Local Notebook.  However, now I have no history in Skitch, and it appears impossible to just save new Skitch captures locally. 

I guess I'm going to be looking for a new screencap utility, if rolling back to a 1.x version doesn't work (and probably even if it does: I'm totally soured on this program.)

@Bob - What specific versions of Skitch and PowerPoint are you using that you can no longer drag and drop? I just tested Skitch 2.0.4 with PowerPoint for Mac 2011 version 14.3 and had no issues. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Skitch and have your updates for OS X and PowerPoint installed.

Save as a PDF will be coming back in a future update.

I had grown reliant on Skitch - shame on me. What a destruction of an other wise wonderful piece of coding:

• No longer can drag-drop to PowerPoint
  • No longer can save as PDF
  • The intuitive interface is gone

It is like Evernote took a swiss army knife and said "Here use this stick instead"

The improvements to 2.0 are a sorry effort. One needs to look elsewhere, but it was a nice ride while it lasted.

I have never posted a message here but feel 2.0 is missing lots of features that made 1.x pleasurable including the ability to start typing text immediately and cropping to a white background beyond the original edges.

I do like the one keystroke publish and copy to clipboard but it's not always fast or works well.

I cannot believe what you did to Skitch. It was easy, nice and fast. Nothing in the imported Skitch files is how it was before. It is a disaster.

I hope you are working on it and meanwhile I will install Skitch 1 again.

Skitch 2.0 is a real bust...

Wow. Skitch user from the beginning and *very* disappointed in v2. fargione, thanks for pointing to the previous version. I've gone back.

Skitch Team at Evernote -- For next 2.x release, preserve original core features and then add on. In v3 wow us with enhancements, ability to add layers to a snapshot would be awesome... also ability to have multiple snapshots open in tabs would be good. We could then cut-and-paste cropped areas or elements from one snap to another to work up better compositions.

+1. I have to run Windows using VMWare Fusion, and I run it full screen as a separate desktop. To my surprise, when I went to go take a crosshair snapshot it wasn't showing up on the Fusion Desktop like it does in v1. I "downgraded" as well. Thanks for posting the link!

Totally agree. What they heck happened I don't even remember updating but this new Skitch is horrible. Probably just got updated by the Mac App Store without me noticing.

Skitch seems stuck on PNG file types with no way to change it and it says it's still constantly sync'ing even though I've deleted everything I snapped to test it out.

:(

There's good in the new Skitch, but how in the world could you strip so much functionality from it? I get where you are going with it, but man, what a bummer. Add all the goodies back in as options somehow.

Desperately need more text options as request numero uno.

Evernote is a great program, and Evernote is a great company.

Skitch v 1.0+ is a great program, BUT Skitch v2.0 is, in my view, a significant step backward.

I'm so glad Evernote made the old version available. Immediately, I downgraded back to v1.0.12 and am happy.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to pay for Skitch v.1.0.12, as I think it is just that good!

• Level 5*

OMG!

I thought it was just me having a totally dizzy day. I lost all my saved edited images and I'm having a total nightmare. You're right everything that made Skitch, cool, easy to use, a great working experience, has been taken away.

I wondered whether these changes were things that people had requested. I'm no expert with editing images, I've tried a few different software packages but they are obviously for the more experienced, the old Skitch suited me just fine, in fact I relied on it a great deal.

So thank you so, so, much Fargione for the link to the old version, you're a lifesaver!!

Going to try it now

Hi. I recommend downloading it from Evernote. As Metrodon said, they have the link on their website at

https://evernote.com/skitch/

OMG!

I thought it was just me having a totally dizzy day. I lost all my saved edited images and I'm having a total nightmare. You're right everything that made Skitch, cool, easy to use, a great working experience, has been taken away.

I wondered whether these changes were things that people had requested. I'm no expert with editing images, I've tried a few different software packages but they are obviously for the more experienced, the old Skitch suited me just fine, in fact I relied on it a great deal.

So thank you so, so, much Fargione for the link to the old version, you're a lifesaver!!

Going to try it now

Archived