Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

I advise Skitch current users not to Upgrade to 2.0

skitch

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fargione

fargione

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Please restore the previous version of Skitch.
I "Upgraded" to the latest version of Skitch 2.0 and as soon as i opened it i realised my mistake.
Almost everything that made Skitch an essential everyday tool for me has gone.
One of the worst decisions Evernote has made is to mess with Skitch.
They could have cleaned up the interface a little but should not have interfered with how it works.
I am particularly annoyed that you are now forced to save all your screenshots to your Evernote account.
What were you thinking Evernote, you have broken it and it is now worse than the Macs default screenshot utility.
However i see elsewhere on this Forum that is possible to roll back and reinstall the older version.
Hope it works.

#2 fargione

fargione

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Here is the link below to the "Old" superior version of Skitch.

http://get.skitch.co...itch-1.0.12.zip

Just downloaded it and everything is back to normal, Whew!!

#3 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Or you can get it direct from the website - https://evernote.com/skitch/

#4 4really

4really

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

OMG!

I thought it was just me having a totally dizzy day. I lost all my saved edited images and I'm having a total nightmare. You're right everything that made Skitch, cool, easy to use, a great working experience, has been taken away.

I wondered whether these changes were things that people had requested. I'm no expert with editing images, I've tried a few different software packages but they are obviously for the more experienced, the old Skitch suited me just fine, in fact I relied on it a great deal.

So thank you so, so, much Fargione for the link to the old version, you're a lifesaver!!

Going to try it now

#5 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

OMG!

I thought it was just me having a totally dizzy day. I lost all my saved edited images and I'm having a total nightmare. You're right everything that made Skitch, cool, easy to use, a great working experience, has been taken away.

I wondered whether these changes were things that people had requested. I'm no expert with editing images, I've tried a few different software packages but they are obviously for the more experienced, the old Skitch suited me just fine, in fact I relied on it a great deal.

So thank you so, so, much Fargione for the link to the old version, you're a lifesaver!!

Going to try it now

Hi. I recommend downloading it from Evernote. As Metrodon said, they have the link on their website at
https://evernote.com/skitch/

#6 Whatever1

Whatever1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

Yep update totally sucks, I am please I found this forum, They made a good app an awful one. Total update fail

#7 virajmaster

virajmaster

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Evernote is a great program, and Evernote is a great company.

Skitch v 1.0+ is a great program, BUT Skitch v2.0 is, in my view, a significant step backward.

I'm so glad Evernote made the old version available. Immediately, I downgraded back to v1.0.12 and am happy.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to pay for Skitch v.1.0.12, as I think it is just that good!

#8 seaserpent

seaserpent

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

There's good in the new Skitch, but how in the world could you strip so much functionality from it? I get where you are going with it, but man, what a bummer. Add all the goodies back in as options somehow.

Desperately need more text options as request numero uno.

#9 jb510

jb510

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Totally agree. What they heck happened I don't even remember updating but this new Skitch is horrible. Probably just got updated by the Mac App Store without me noticing.

Skitch seems stuck on PNG file types with no way to change it and it says it's still constantly sync'ing even though I've deleted everything I snapped to test it out.

:(

#10 danberlyoung

danberlyoung

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

Count me as a downgrader too. No dock icon, skitch history, Safari snap? Hello?

#11 VicAmuso

VicAmuso

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

+1. I have to run Windows using VMWare Fusion, and I run it full screen as a separate desktop. To my surprise, when I went to go take a crosshair snapshot it wasn't showing up on the Fusion Desktop like it does in v1. I "downgraded" as well. Thanks for posting the link!

#12 5280mike

5280mike

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Wow. Skitch user from the beginning and *very* disappointed in v2. fargione, thanks for pointing to the previous version. I've gone back.

Skitch Team at Evernote -- For next 2.x release, preserve original core features and then add on. In v3 wow us with enhancements, ability to add layers to a snapshot would be awesome... also ability to have multiple snapshots open in tabs would be good. We could then cut-and-paste cropped areas or elements from one snap to another to work up better compositions.

#13 gregh1981

gregh1981

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

I too am so disappointed with the new skitch. Went from being a very useful, everyday kind of an app, to a near worthless app. What is going on here?

I was very relieved to find the old version, thanks to a link from another member.

#14 hkeziah

hkeziah

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I've seen a lot of good products ruined by an acquisition. Skitch joins the list.

It really lowers my opinion of Evernote.

#15 cstutz

cstutz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

+1 from a reasonably long-time (and usually happy) Skitch and Evernote user.

This is almost Twitterworthy.

#16 Puma108

Puma108

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I cannot believe what you did to Skitch. It was easy, nice and fast. Nothing in the imported Skitch files is how it was before. It is a disaster.
I hope you are working on it and meanwhile I will install Skitch 1 again.

Skitch 2.0 is a real bust...

#17 Puma108

Puma108

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Can somebody tell me how I can integrate my old history into Skitch 1.0.12 again? The Skitch folder in pictures is still available and I saved it at another place as well. Thank you ....

#18 smokingmole

smokingmole

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

PHEW, thank you guys for the old download. They new one makes me angry just looking at it. Talk about ruining the simplest and quickest way to resize images and add white backgrounds. Evernote, you've destroyed a good thing.

#19 Noel Saw

Noel Saw

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have never posted a message here but feel 2.0 is missing lots of features that made 1.x pleasurable including the ability to start typing text immediately and cropping to a white background beyond the original edges.

I do like the one keystroke publish and copy to clipboard but it's not always fast or works well.

#20 Bob Wenzlau

Bob Wenzlau

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

I had grown reliant on Skitch - shame on me. What a destruction of an other wise wonderful piece of coding:
  • No longer can drag-drop to PowerPoint
  • No longer can save as PDF
  • The intuitive interface is gone
It is like Evernote took a swiss army knife and said "Here use this stick instead"

The improvements to 2.0 are a sorry effort. One needs to look elsewhere, but it was a nice ride while it lasted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, skitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote