(Archived) No ability to rename Skitch 2 documents?

sschertz

As far as I can tell, there is no way to rename skitch documents. This is a strange design decision. Why would I want my Evernote account full of notes called "Skitch Photo Document" with no way to distinguish between them (other than looking at the annotated picture I guess). And it is even worse if you create a new blank document...then you get a document named "Blank".

I'm not as upset as many by the Skitch 2.0 changes, but this seems ridiculous. Let me rename my own documents to something meaningful!

It would also be nice to have a note field, similar to Evernote Food, so that I could write something ABOUT the document that would show up in the EN note as well. Sometimes the image requires some context (like why this is something important enough to be in EN in the first place).

EDIT: OK, I just discovered I can rename the documents in the desktop by clicking the document name in the main skitch window. However, I can't seem to rename on the iPhone version - tapping the name on the Info screen does nothing. So it isn't QUITE as bad as I thought.

Though you can tap the info button in the iPhone version, I can't seem to edit the information within the title box. I can, however, change which Evernote folder the image goes into from that information screen. Hopefully being able to edit the title box will be something we can look forward to?

I can see the info button and tap the title, but it does not become editable. I'm using an iPhone 4S on iOS 6.

Also, the notebook thing is very flakey/buggy. Soemtimes changing the notebook works, but sometimes it does not. I can select a notebook and save my note, but when I go back to the note later and look at it, it is set back to the default notebook. When I go to Skitch desktop or EN, sometimes it has kept the correct notebook and sometimes it has not. Really not sure on what triggers it to be wrong.

I really don't want to store all my Skitch documents in the same notebook - that would be like having an EN notebook called "PDF" for all pdf docs! The content of the note is what determines where it should go in EN, not the tool used to create it.

It seems you can add tags on the EN desktop edition but you can't edit the title? (which you can edit within skitch)

You can't however touch the tags in the iOS version of EN.

I think this needs some consistency adjustments!

Also I'd like the ability to export to EN as a standard note with an attached JPG version of the skitch file (obviously not editable again).

You are also able to rename documents via the iOS app by simply tapping on the "info" icon shown on top of the canvas window.

The titles don't seem to survive the image being moved to Evernote - I assign and save a title in Skitch and then...poof! In Evernote, the title is gone. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't actually rename Skitch documents at all, in Skitch the title is a non-editable field and if I then try to access it in Evernote on desktop it displays an error saying i can't edit it because it was created by another application. Is there a way around that? It means I have to save the image to camera roll and then add it to Evernote using the iOS app to be able to edit the metadata. It just seems a little clumsier than it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a bump for this thread, any devs who could answer this? I work on an iPad2 and love both EN and Skitch, but it feels like they should merge more. At the very least give us the option not to save as read-only, as not being able to add tags makes it less useful. The option to edit the title should be there too! Just make the notes editable, otherwise it will keep on feeling like the Skitch intergration just stranded somewhere halfway of the integration process. Wich is too bad, as in principle this could be great.

@vkjsteenhoek - Thanks for the feedback. At this time we're not planning to merge the apps, but we are improving our integration between Evernote and Skitch. There are a host of technical reasons why we lock Skitch Notes which we are making steady progress to reduce. Once complete you'll be able to edit a Skitch note as easily as any other. Right not the locking is required in order to ensure the Note will continue to work across all Skitch clients. 

Archived