Ebook Reader Advice

Hey Everyone,

I've been using Evernote for the past three years now and have amassed an eclectic collection that have come in handy in writing essays and giving presentations. While it's nifty when I'm reading things on my laptop, I'm at a dilemma with reading ebooks.

I have the Kindle app for my Android phone and have found it nifty to read through books I have purchased through the Kindle store. However, I also have a few books that I have converted to the Kindle format using Calibre. I am familiar with the indirect way of uploading notes from Kindle books to Evernote using web clipper but find it tedious to manually enter every note with my converted files; I normally finish reading the file on my phone before going through it on my laptop and creating individual notes while thumbing through my highlights/bookmarks on the phone.

Has anyone worked out a more efficient system? I'm considering purchasing a Kindle if need be but was open to any thoughts.

Thank you for your help.

The new Sony Reader has a built-in Evernote integration. Just clip things via Clearly, sync, and they show up on your Reader. They're automatically turned into epub format, so when you connect to Calibre next, you can back up your newly created epubs to that Library, as well as within Evernote :)

• Level 5*

I also have run into a similar issue while reading books and articles on Kindle apps for the Mac and iPad.

The Kindle app allows you to highlight, make notes, and share both with Facebook and Twitter.

But it does not allow you to copy the text to the clipboard so you can paste into another app, like an email, or like Evernote.

It would be very cool if Evernote could work with Amazon to add a "Share with Evernote" option to all Kindle apps and devices.

EN, if you follow through on this, please make the share with Evernote work like with Facebook, where you can share both the highlighted text and your note. This would allow you to record your comments, and relevant quotes, in Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hey Everyone,

I've been using Evernote for the past three years now and have amassed an eclectic collection that have come in handy in writing essays and giving presentations. While it's nifty when I'm reading things on my laptop, I'm at a dilemma with reading ebooks.

I have the Kindle app for my Android phone and have found it nifty to read through books I have purchased through the Kindle store. However, I also have a few books that I have converted to the Kindle format using Calibre. I am familiar with the indirect way of uploading notes from Kindle books to Evernote using web clipper but find it tedious to manually enter every note with my converted files; I normally finish reading the file on my phone before going through it on my laptop and creating individual notes while thumbing through my highlights/bookmarks on the phone.

Has anyone worked out a more efficient system? I'm considering purchasing a Kindle if need be but was open to any thoughts.

Thank you for your help.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately (I wish there was competition here), there is only one viable purchase option (in my opinion). The Kindle is actually pretty easy to use with Evernote, even though there is no formal integration. You plug the Kindle in, drag and drop the "My Clippings.txt" file into Evernote, and you are done. Alternatively, you could just copy/paste the content into a note (this is what I do). The Sony Reader has a great integration, and is a fine device, but from what I can tell, the Kindle has:

- superior technology (paperwhite),

- a lower price, a lighter weight,

- longer battery life

- a greater selection of books

- a lot of books that are less expensive (I regularly see books for about half the price on Amazon)

I've always had a soft spot for Sony, but in the ereader market, they tend to be a generation behind the curve. As for the Nook, well, maybe we shouldn't go there. All of them, as I said about the Sony ereader, are fine devices. However, they're selling models that would barely have been competitive in September 2011.

I've had a Kindle keyboard (3rd gen?) since they came out & love it. I've pre-ordered a paperwhite. I removed the DRM from all the ebooks that I got for my Palm TX that had DRM & can side load them to the Kindle. But as Metrodon pointed out, it's very nifty to be able to sync Amazon purchases across devices.

• Level 5*
You plug the Kindle in, drag and drop the "My Clippings.txt" file into Evernote, and you are done. Alternatively, you could just copy/paste the content into a note (this is what I do).

I can't find the "My Clippings.txt" file on my Mac with the Kindle app.

After rereading your post, I just realized that you may be referring to the physical Kindle device, rather than the Mac Kindle app.

Is this correct?

I do stand corrected on the copy/paste issue. in the Mac Kindle app, you *can* copy a selection from the Kindle app.

Unfortunately, you can NOT copy from the iPad Kindle app.

So I still think it would be very cool to have all Kindle devices AND apps integrated with Evernote, so that there is a "Share with Evernote" option.

I use http://clippingsconverter.com/ . It nicely converts Kindle clippings into notes and post them to Evernote. So say you have multiple clippings from five documents. The converter will nicely convert clippings into five Evernote notes, nicely title and post them. I find the service to be truly excellent, and it is free. Unfortunately you still have to manually upload myclippings.txt to the converter, but given the limitations imposed by Kindle this is as good as it gets.

I can't recommend Kindle enough. I use it often and highlight a lot. It saves highlights into a simple txt file (myclippings.txt) and from time to time I just upload the txt.file to http://clippingsconverter.com/ and transfer all highlights to Evernote in a matter of seconds. Amazon allows users to easily convert pdf files into Kindle format - just email files to your Kindle address and get them converted and sent directly to your Kindle. Huh, they even have a Chrome extension similar to Evernote Clearly that allow you to send any webpage to Kindle......

It would be very cool if Evernote could work with Amazon to add a "Share with Evernote" option to all Kindle apps and devices.

EN, if you follow through on this, please make the share with Evernote work like with Facebook, where you can share both the highlighted text and your note. This would allow you to record your comments, and relevant quotes, in Evernote.

Sharing to Evernote like current sharing to Facebook/Twitter would be nice, but It would be perfect to have an option to automatically post all highlights to Evernote. I used to share highlights to Twitter just to have them posted to kindle.amazon.com so I can transfer them to Evernote from there, but I gave up because it was tedious to manually share every single highlight.

Anyway, ti would be great to see any integration with Kindle. Actually, I was disappointing not to hear something on the integration when Amazon announced Paperwhite.

I do stand corrected on the copy/paste issue. in the Mac Kindle app, you *can* copy a selection from the Kindle app.

Unfortunately, you can NOT copy from the iPad Kindle app.

I have a friend with a Mac and idevices. I'm on Windows & android.

We believe the Mac app is the only one from which you can copy & paste.

Regards,

Gary

Thanks everyone for the advice.

For the Kindle device users out there, if I convert an eBook into the Kindle format and use Kindle to highlight and take notes, will a clippings text file be generated? Clippings Converter sounds like just what I need.

For the Kindle PC/Mac users, is there a way to convert the MBP file associated with a Kindle book into a text file?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

For the Kindle device users out there, if I convert an eBook into the Kindle format and use Kindle to highlight and take notes, will a clippings text file be generated?

Yes, highlights and notes from all documents, including those not purchased from Amazon, go to the text file

• 2 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

The new Sony Reader has a built-in Evernote integration. Just clip things via Clearly, sync, and they show up on your Reader. They're automatically turned into epub format, so when you connect to Calibre next, you can back up your newly created epubs to that Library, as well as within Evernote :)

While this may clearly be an advantage with the Sony Reader, it has one obvious disadvantage. Notes taken from the books and sent to Evernote have a limit of 140 characters, which is practically useless.

Hi - there is no great solution for this - yet.

But what I discovered (I have the Kindle for iPad app) yesterday was that there is a dedicated page on Amazon for your note clippings. It's at kindle.amazon.com and sign in with your Amazon a/c.

Go to My Books/[Click on a book] /Click on "View your notes and highlights" button, and all your clippings and notes come up. You can copy and paste them into Evernote.

I think this is currently the best solution for iPad. There's a bit of editing to do: but it's not too bad and at least you can copy and paste the raw material in one hit.

Cheers

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

I had the same problem. I especially wanted each note in kindle as a separate note in Evernote. I found a program online (Klippings, not to be confused with Klippings Kollector) that did almost everything I needed but had tons of bugs and needed some extra features. Fortunately, the code was open source so I was able to make some singificant upgrades and have packaged it into a Windows installer (OSX and Linux not yet available).

You can read the thread here:

http://discussion.ev...vernote-solved/

PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EXTRACT OLDER NOTES. THIS ONLY WORKS ON NOTES CREATED ON THE KINDLE ITSELF.

• Evernote Expert

Can someone post a detailed review (video preferably) highlighting the pros and cons of EN on the sony reader PRS t2: Most of the reviews available on the net describe all other product features ( most of which are same as PRS t1), but only refer to the EN part as a footnote, especially with regard to clearly, offline access to notes, highlighting, exporting notes (140 character limit is seldom mentioned in most reviews), but it is extremely critical.

• 2 months later...

Hi - there is no great solution for this - yet.

But what I discovered (I have the Kindle for iPad app) yesterday was that there is a dedicated page on Amazon for your note clippings. It's at kindle.amazon.com and sign in with your Amazon a/c.

Go to My Books/[Click on a book] /Click on "View your notes and highlights" button, and all your clippings and notes come up. You can copy and paste them into Evernote.

I think this is currently the best solution for iPad. There's a bit of editing to do: but it's not too bad and at least you can copy and paste the raw material in one hit.

Cheers

Malc

Thanks Malc - this was much appreciated!

When I checked it out, I found there is actually one whole page for all the highlights: https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

I use http://clippingsconverter.com/ . It nicely converts Kindle clippings into notes and post them to Evernote. So say you have multiple clippings from five documents. The converter will nicely convert clippings into five Evernote notes, nicely title and post them. I find the service to be truly excellent, and it is free. Unfortunately you still have to manually upload myclippings.txt to the converter, but given the limitations imposed by Kindle this is as good as it gets.

Wow!! That's some advice you gave me there. Works great. Thank you. You think it's a safe place to authorize our Evernote account? 

• Level 5*

Wow!! That's some advice you gave me there. Works great. Thank you. You think it's a safe place to authorize our Evernote account? 

Sounds like a great tool!  Unfortunately it only works on Kindle HW devices, and not on any of the Kindle apps or from the Amazon Kindle web site.

• 1 year later...

Archived