(Archived) Confused on how to share notebooks and view updated content

Hello, I'm a newbie with EN. My boss and I need to share two notebooks. How exactly do we do that?

When one of us updates the notebook, do we have to email the updated note to the other person? Do we both need premium accounts?

At the end of the day, what we want to do is simple - see each others notes!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Level 5*

Hello Newbie, welcome to the forums..

You don't need to be a Premium user to share a view only notebook, but you do if you want to allow your sharee to edit your notes.

If you and your boss just want to see what you each have written, just share one of your notebooks with him, and get him to share one of his with you.

If you're looking to get notes edited in either direction then yes, you'll both need to be Premium users and allow the appropriate permissions.

Do remember that this isn't real time communications - when you make a change to a note your system has to sync with the Evernote servers to pass the information along, then your boss's system has to sync to receive it. It's a good idea to manually sync before and after you make each change to a shared book.

Hope that helps..

Hi Gazumped - that does help - thanks so much! We need to edit notes in both directions. We both have premium accounts now.

Can you tell me how to figure out the appropriate permissions? Typically, I'm using my PC EN and sometimes my iPhone. My boss uses a Droid, iPad and phone.

We shouldn't need to copy and paste the URL to each other, right? I'm not sure I'm seeing anywhere to make adjustments for permissions.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Hi again

Don't know whether your boss will be able to set up a share from his hardware - the details change so fast around here that a little experimentation may be necessary to make this work.. On a PC you right-click a notebook, on a mobile (and presumably a tablet) you select a notebook from the notebook list, and in each case choose the option that mentions sharing. Go for individuals, and look for the option that allows your user to edit notes. You'll be asked to provide their email address at some point, which will spark an email giving the notebook details to the other person. When you receive your email, 'join' the new notebook, and that should be that.

Hope that helps..

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
Can non-premium users add Notes .. to a Shared Notebook they have been invited to join?

In my experience so far - no. That seems to come under the heading of add/ edit/ delete. You can't add a note directly to that notebook, or create it in another notebook and move it across.

G

• Level 5*
Can non-premium users add Notes .. to a Shared Notebook they have been invited to join?

In my experience so far - no. That seems to come under the heading of add/ edit/ delete. You can't add a note directly to that notebook, or create it in another notebook and move it across.

G

Yes. If the person sharing a notebook is Premium and they invite someone, then they can extend the privilege to modify notes. For example, a teacher with thirty students could become Premium, share a notebook with the class, and everyone in the class could edit it, regardless of what type of subscription they have. At least, that is how I understand the system.

However, the students could not share an editable notebook with the teacher, even though the teacher is Premium. The student(s) sharing the notebook(s) would have to become Premium before they could extend that ability to the teacher.

• Level 5*

I'm beginning to worry about my addle factor now.. The full query was -

Can non-premium users add Notes (not edit as you say above) to a Shared Notebook they have been invited to join?

Which I got as: if you're non-premium, AND (see other posts..) not invited to edit, can you still add notes. By me, that's still no. You have to have the invite extended as GM says above. If you share a notebook in recent versions of Evernote, you have the options to allow:

• View notes only
  • View notes and activity
  • Modify notes
  • Modify notes and invite others

With the modify option, there used to be a warning that you had to be a Premium user to make changes, which now seems to have disappeared. Seems to suggest that either I was wrong or this restriction has changed - but you might want to test it out before making any rash promises!

You do need to be a Premium user to allow others to edit in the first place - just tested that on my 'other' account and while the option box says "invite others to view or edit this notebook" the permissions I'm offered are only the first two above. There is no 'modify'.

Thankyouverymuch.

Hello gazumped,

I just did a round if Invites and my experience concurs with your latest post and GrumpMonkey's above that. Premium users can Invite and allow those joining to modify notes. The "others" don't have to be premium.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

I'm beginning to worry about my addle factor now.. The full query was -

Can non-premium users add Notes (not edit as you say above) to a Shared Notebook they have been invited to join?

Which I got as: if you're non-premium, AND (see other posts..) not invited to edit, can you still add notes. By me, that's still no. You have to have the invite extended as GM says above. If you share a notebook in recent versions of Evernote, you have the options to allow:

• View notes only
  • View notes and activity
  • Modify notes
  • Modify notes and invite others

With the modify option, there used to be a warning that you had to be a Premium user to make changes, which now seems to have disappeared. Seems to suggest that either I was wrong or this restriction has changed - but you might want to test it out before making any rash promises!

You do need to be a Premium user to allow others to edit in the first place - just tested that on my 'other' account and while the option box says "invite others to view or edit this notebook" the permissions I'm offered are only the first two above. There is no 'modify'.

Thankyouverymuch.

I think the OP was asking about sharing with her boss. There was nothing there about view only, so presumably, the boss could foot the bill, become Premium (or better yet, Business) and invite the OP to join one of his notebooks. This would enable both of them the power to modify notes there (assuming the boss gave those permissions). Your advice (my interpretation here) seems to suggest that they both have to become Premium (http://discussion.ev...nt/#entry159785) and I don't think that is the case (see this page for an outdated screenshot of the Mac http://www.princeton...e-notebook.html).

For Roschler, you are correct. I missed that part of his post in parenthesis (my own addled brain). If the owner of the Premium account shares a notebook and does NOT allow modifications, then no one can modify them except Roschler (it doesn't matter if the invitees are Premium, Business, or Free).

[EDIT:] Wait a second! I know why I "missed" that part of Roschler's post. I was quoting your post gazumped, and you edited out the parentheses. Very tricksy of you :)

[EDIT:] Wait a second! I know why I "missed" that part of Roschler's post. I was quoting your post gazumped, and you edited out the parentheses. Very tricksy of you :)

My desire for brevity led you astray! I do penance now. :)

" tricksy". Is that a typo or do I detect a fellow Tolkien fan? Roschler not false! :lol:

-- roschler

• Level 5*

My desire for brevity led you astray! I do penance now. :)

" tricksy". Is that a typo or do I detect a fellow Tolkien fan? Roschler not false! :lol:

-- roschler

Gazumped was the tricksy one this time (he omitted those parentheses in his quotation). And, your elf eyes do you justice -- it is, indeed, a Tolkien allusion. I think I could duel with Stephen Colbert over our Middle Earth knowledge :)

• Level 5*

I rely on my ".." to indicate that there was content there. Honest. :P

OK. We'll give you a pass on that one. Kind of like when you tell Mrs. Gazumped that you went out with the guys, yadayadayada, and now you're stumbling in the door at 6:00 in the morning with a tattoo on your face and crazy photos on your camera :)

Gazumped was the tricksy one this time (he omitted those parentheses in his quotation). And, your elf eyes do you justice -- it is, indeed, a Tolkien allusion. I think I could duel with Stephen Colbert over our Middle Earth knowledge :)

I'm part Hobbit, part Orc. Sad story really. I'd rather not go into it. :D

-- roschler

• Level 5*

You should be able to right-click on a notebook and select from the menu options to share. See the manual for Windows in my signature below. It is a little anemic at the moment, but perhaps that is because a major overhaul is on the way like we saw with Mac :)

There is no shared tab anymore, of course, but everything else (I think) ought to work fine. I am not on my computer at the moment, so cannot test for sure. Sorry.

• Level 5*

Hi. When you share a notebook you have four options, the highest of which is to modify notes and invite others to share the same notebook. You can't allow someone to add notes. Apart from anything else that would count against your upload allowance, though you'd have no control over that. You can copy notes from a shared notebook into an account of your own, so if you do want to allow an exchange of notes you could share notebooks in both directions.

• 3 weeks later...

(Somewhat) related question: I want to share a Notebook with three others who are not Evernote users. The notebook will simply be a collection of notes that are online articles; I will continue to add to this notebook over time.

Question 1: will they be able to search within the notebook, utilizing my previously applied tags and content in the notes, just as I can? Or will their interface be simpler, just read the notes without search capability?

Question 2: what are the pluses/minuses of the two sharing routes (invite individuals, or create public link)?

• Level 5*
Question 1: will they be able to search within the notebook, utilizing my previously applied tags and content in the notes, just as I can? Or will their interface be simpler, just read the notes without search capability?

Yes, they will be able to search, just as the owner can.

• Level 5*

Question 2: what are the pluses/minuses of the two sharing routes (invite individuals, or create public link)?

..if you invite individuals you can specify who has access. If you make the notes public, then by definition anyone may gain access. Granted that unless you publish any particularly interesting content, or publish the details yourself, the likely traffic is going to be very small. But you may want to check for yourself exactly what the outside world will see before you go public.

One last question, then:

Once I invite individuals to the notebook, I presume they'll have a url or other sort of link in an email for them to go to. Will this link remain "forever" active for them?

I'll be wanting to keep adding things to the notebook for them to see over the coming few months.

Or, is the access provided by an invite shorter-term? (in which case I may want to create a public, though not widely distributed, link)

Thanks much,

Jim

• Level 5*

Best way to work out the details is to try it with yourself, sending the invitation to a secondary email account. You'll get a URL for the notebook which will work for as long as the person who owns that notebook wants it to for that individual. The owner can change or revoke permissions as necessary. Once the client - the sharee - has followed the link, it becomes academic anyway. The shared notebook is 'adopted' into their own notebook tree so there's no need to use the URL.

• Level 5*

Definitely best to experiment quietly before going public with anything - it can avoid serious credibility failure! If your sharees (beginning to like that word) are not Evernote users at all, I think you'll have to go for a public note/ notebook to allow them easy access - then any browser will let them in.

:)

OK, I must be really dense here, but I am not finding any sharing options for notebooks in my Windows PC version of EN. I have tried the very simple and obvious 'right-click' method to see the share option, but it's not there when I right-click on a notebook. I only see 4 choices: Create Notebook in..., Rename, Delete, and Export Notes.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

OK, I must be really dense here, but I am not finding any sharing options for notebooks in my Windows PC version of EN. I have tried the very simple and obvious 'right-click' method to see the share option, but it's not there when I right-click on a notebook. I only see 4 choices: Create Notebook in..., Rename, Delete, and Export Notes.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

You're definitely missing something - there's slightly different content in the right-click popup depending on what type of notebook you're clicking on. It's not possible (forinstance) to share a local notebook. However the window you want looks like this in Windows Vista. Which versions of Evernote and Windows are you using?

post-63053-0-93542400-1359818199_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Thanks, gazumped. I'm using Evernote v4.6.2.7927 and Windows 7.

Note sure why any of my notebooks would be 'local' notebooks. When I set up all my notebooks, I chose the 'synchronized' notebook option, not 'local'.

OK - how about stacks? Are you sharing a single notebook or a stack? Because you can't share a stack, though you can share its member-notebooks individually...

Yes, that's it! I was trying to share a stack. The sub folders are shareable.

OK, now another question: Can these shared folders and their notes be edited by those I share with? I am using the free version and it appears they can only view.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

What is difference between allowing someone in a Shared Notebook (non-business account) to 

View Notes

View Notes and Shared Activity

EN would be much easier for Newbie to understand its use if their were Help built into the choices one is offered while using the app. Would save tons of searching on the forum, and even then the way things work changes with updates and different EN apps. EN should take more responsibility for this, and Tool Tips would also be helpful. Didn't want to start another thread on this topic even though this one is quite old.

• Level 5*

What is difference between allowing someone in a Shared Notebook (non-business account) to 

View Notes

View Notes and Shared Activity

EN would be much easier for Newbie to understand its use if their were Help built into the choices one is offered while using the app. Would save tons of searching on the forum, and even then the way things work changes with updates and different EN apps. EN should take more responsibility for this, and Tool Tips would also be helpful. Didn't want to start another thread on this topic even though this one is quite old.

Hi. My understanding (I may be wrong) is that viewing notes shows them the notes, and viewing notes and shared activity alerts them to when changes are made. In other words, if I make a bunch of changes to my shared notebook today, and you are only able to view notes, then there is no way for you to know. If you are able to view the shared activity, your "Activity Stream" on the desktop will tell you that changes were made. I think the default is set to allow people to view the activity.

GrumpyMonkey thx ... As Newbie I had never clicked on Activity icon on Desktop toolbar; I think your understanding is probably at least partially accurate. So, in order for an invitee to benefit from being given permission to "see" ... Shared Activity   they have  at least a free EN account (that is all I have right now). Will do some search in forum on Activity Stream to see what it does and how I might use it.  I did invite myself to a different email account than my EN account email, BUT it did not show up in the Activity Stream. The invite to a friend did, so not sure how much Activity Stream "captures" as it seems from my small experiment to be incomplete.

Perhaps you might also clarify a thread from 6 months ago that discussed when inviting a Private Individual to a shared Notebook; how Private are things really? It seems that they can simply cut and paste the URL of the Notebook into an email and invite someone else to view things. At least I was able to do that, BUT I was not on a different computer and so IP address remained the same. If one can do as I indicated, would the Stream Activity (in theory) show that someone else had viewed the Notebook?

While in general I trust those I invite to respect the Notebook, my own rule of thumb would be, if I share it, if it is in the Cloud then expect that there is at least some chance that others who I'd prefer not to see it, will soon or eventually see it. The earlier thread from 6 months ago wondered whether EN would ever have PW protection for such shared Notebook, any idea?

Thanks for your great help on this forum, as a newbie I'm especially thankful to you and many others for cutting my learning curve and getting me through some of the EN gotchas.

=========

Added after a bit more experimentation:

If the one you are inviting does NOT have an EN account and you don't want to force them to create an account, THEN you should only give them permission to View Notes  rather than View Notes and Shared Activity.  If the latter is chosen then I believe that invitee is forced to create EN account before they can see the Notebook.  I had originally invited myself at a different email address to a shared Notebook with the lower level of permission and that worked fine. I later changed the permission to the higher level to try and understand what the Shared Activity was. This then preventing me (at the second email address) from having access. I then deleted me as an invitee (synced EN) and then invited myself again with the lower level of permission.  Perhaps I did NOT wait long enough, but it seems that there is some challenge in demoting an invitee to the lower level.

I will try to figure out if there is a work around if one chooses the wrong level for someone.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey thx ... As Newbie I had never clicked on Activity icon on Desktop toolbar; I think your understanding is probably at least partially accurate. So, in order for an invitee to benefit from being given permission to "see" ... Shared Activity   they have  at least a free EN account (that is all I have right now). Will do some search in forum on Activity Stream to see what it does and how I might use it.  I did invite myself to a different email account than my EN account email, BUT it did not show up in the Activity Stream. The invite to a friend did, so not sure how much Activity Stream "captures" as it seems from my small experiment to be incomplete.

Perhaps you might also clarify a thread from 6 months ago that discussed when inviting a Private Individual to a shared Notebook; how Private are things really? It seems that they can simply cut and paste the URL of the Notebook into an email and invite someone else to view things. At least I was able to do that, BUT I was not on a different computer and so IP address remained the same. If one can do as I indicated, would the Stream Activity (in theory) show that someone else had viewed the Notebook?

While in general I trust those I invite to respect the Notebook, my own rule of thumb would be, if I share it, if it is in the Cloud then expect that there is at least some chance that others who I'd prefer not to see it, will soon or eventually see it. The earlier thread from 6 months ago wondered whether EN would ever have PW protection for such shared Notebook, any idea?

Thanks for your great help on this forum, as a newbie I'm especially thankful to you and many others for cutting my learning curve and getting me through some of the EN gotchas.

Hi. Glad I could help, and thanks for testing it. I am afraid I don't have enough experience with this aspect of Evernote to say anything definitive.

As for the private sharing, my understanding is that if you send an email to someone with the link, it will only work once for joining, any number of times for viewing. However, if you send the link and force the recipient to join in order to view, then the only way it can be viewed is if they join it. Naturally, an unscrupulous or careless person could share that link with someone else and not join, thereby giving an unauthorized person access, but you have to admit that is pretty unlikely. I think we have a lot of options for sharing these days, and it is nice to know you can have so much control over the level of access.

Given the recent state of affairs (Prism) I doubt anything that leaves your computer and travels into the cloud is free from the potential to be viewed by someone. Admittedly, it is unlikely that state hacker spies are terribly interested in what you did at work today, but I suppose that depends on what your work is :)

For the non-state hacker spies, the content would probably be awfully difficult to view, so I wouldn't worry too much about that beyond being careful about what you put in the cloud (see http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288).

Password protection for shared notebooks? I haven't seen any comments on the forums that would lead me to believe it is coming anytime soon, if ever. The same goes for password protected notebooks in general, and encrypted notebooks. Maybe they are working on it, but Evernote staff haven't said anything in public about it.

Archived