(Archived) Free Utility: Tag Hunter - Intelligent Tag Search for Power Tag Users

roschler

@Scott and @FactMan,

Download TagHunter 1.4.1.2b.

Please try this new version but first, make sure you completely uninstall any other versions of TagHunter in your system. Then:

1. Run using your usual non-admin Windows 7 account
  2. Install TagHunter. It should not ask you for a destination directory and it should not request admin rights to install.
  3. You should not see the EOSError anymore because I am filtering those out. However, in some circumstances you may see one occasionally but only one and it should not interrupt your workflow.

I have completely changed the installation program to install everything to your user account app data directory to avoid completely any directory that requires admin level permissions. Let me know how this version works for you.

Thank you for your persistence on on this one!

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Used Revo to uninstall, checked regedit to make sure that all the entries were deleted. There were actually a few still left (many to older versions). Only things left were the entries in the firewall settings. Deleted the TagHunter directory (empty) in the Program Files (x86) directory. Installed the above version - no requests for anything other than from my firewall (Comodo) and AV (Vipre). When the program opened, the user name and password for EN were still in position. I have not been able to generate any errors as yet. The error log is empty, unless I click on test error handling.- if that text is useful let me know and I will send it to you.

Hello all,

Download TagHunter 1.4.2.2b.

This version of TagHunter adds note counts to the List VIew as shown in the screen shot below. Thanks to @jbenson2 for this suggestion. When you click on this button, for each Tag or Notebook in the List View, TagHunter will calculate the number of notes tagged with that tag or contained by that notebook respectively.

taghunter-calculate-note-counts.png

• Level 5*

@roschler: got back to my computer a little later than I wished, but there were no error messages waiting for me this time! Thank you! I clicked on check for updates and got an error again, but after closing the program and restarting it, I now have a note telling me about a new version.

Thank you also (to jbenson2 as well!) for the tag counts. I did think over the weekend that it would be useful to have that information, but I was beaten to the question by jbenson2!

As Scott says, i will keep using the program and see what I come up with!

• Level 5

Under the Error Log tab is an option named Test Error Handling.

I tried it and came up with some results, many of them ending with money.

For instance:

[0044A164] Controls.TControl.WndProc + $188

[0041F480] Classes.TThreadList.UnlockList + $4

[0042FA94] Graphics.FreeMemoryContexts + $98

[0044CFC3] Controls.TWinControl.IsControlMouseMsg + $13

[0044D19B] Controls.TWinControl.WndProc + $157

Does this indicate there is a problem?

Hello jbenson2,

Yes but a nuisance one, not a harmful one. On Windows 7, certain background graphics operations return an error when the active desktop is not available, a situation that occurs when: you switch user accounts, you Lock the station, or your screensaver kicks in, etc. Since TagHunter is still early software I'm logging all errors big or small. Later I'll either add code to detect when the active desktop is not available or suppress the error messages.

Are you having any troubles? If not, then just ignore it. But go ahead and occasionally send me any error logs to the E-mail address that comes up when you click on View Errors at the bottom of the screen, whenever you see something new or that concerns you.

-- roschler

Hello everyone,

Would it be of value to you if TagHunter also gave you the ability to mix in other search criteria into a Tag or Notebook search? For example, filter the search results by including only PDF files, or only notes from Ink/Excel/Food/etc., or only notes with TODO items, etc.

Thanks again for to all of you for your helpful suggestions. I say that not as a programmer but as a fellow TagHunter user that now has a better product because of them and uses the features you suggested.

Sincerely,

Robert

Hi Robert,

First off all, I want to compliment you for this fine tool.

You asking for extra functionality like hits the rose, so to speak.Mixing with other search criteria would be great. It could replace soms saved searches for me. I do have several lists with todo-items. I am realy excited on your production with extra searches/mix posibility's. So pleas, keep on the good work.

Regards,

Har

• Level 5*

Hi Roschler, I was just using TagHunter to search for some notes and started thinking (dangerous, I know!). There are products that are able to look for particular terms within notes and add them to a calendar. Unfortunately for me that did not work unless the note was in a sync'ed notebook, and even then the syncing to Google Calendar wasn't reliable enough to use regularly (although I know I should go back and see if an upgrade fixes that problem for me). TagHunter works across all notebooks, which I love (although others might like to restrict it to certain notebooks at times). So, my question is whether it would be possible to have some feature in TagHunter that would allow me to search for text as well as the tags? For example, if I had "Action" and "DueDate" as tags, plus a checkbox plus a date of 2012-10-13 (or whatever format the user prefers), I would be able to search for all items with a DueDate between today and today+6, for example? I know this would be made at least partly redundant if Evernote was able to add a Due Date field to all versions, but that doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon. Please let me know if this is completely crazy, beyond your "budget," outside the capabilities of the programming language, or whatever reason you can think of for not doing it. I think it would be cool, though!

Hello FactMan,

In the background I am working on a search utility that is the big brother to TagHunter. It's a generalized query builder that uses natural language queries to craft a query (E.g. - "all my notes tagged with cars, dogs, and motor boats but not with airplanes", or "all my encrypted notes older than 2 weeks ago"). That utility should be able to handle queries like the one you outline above. If I tweak TagHunter the way you are discussing then since TagHunter doesn't support natural language queries it will be a convoluted operation that will service only a few people since most people will not know how to use it, just like most people don't know how to use search modifier terms at all. I can't say when this utility will be finished because I'm having trouble finding time to work on it, but that would be the correct solution for your app need. Anything short of it is just a messy tweak. I'll post something when that utility is ready for use but again, I have no idea when right now.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll put some time for you on my wish-list for Santa to deliver - who knows whether that software will work! Of course, you realize that "Santa" should actually come riding along on a green elephant?!!! What you are outlining sounds like it should be part of the Evernote search engine ....

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Easter Egg: This forum message is only off-topic if you don't read until the end of the article I wrote and link to below! :)

I had the opportunity to be a guest blogger on Daniel Gold's productivity blog. I explain in 5 easy steps how to tag documents more effectively for easier retrieval and grouping later when you search for your notes on Evernote. I hope you enjoy it: :)

http://www.dangoldes...er-tagging.html

Here's a photo from the post. See if you can guess why it's in the article:

image01.jpg

-- roschler

• Level 5

The photo reminds me of a memory course I took. It stressed the importance of associating something wild and crazy with what you want to remember. For instance, to remember where you leave your keys - when you put them down, instantly think of a bomb built into the keychain and it blows up the item you leave the keys on. Later on, when you want to find the keys, just ask yourself what is destroyed in your house. It might be the coffee table, or the bedside stand.

The more audacious the created-thought, the more poignant will be the memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've been quietly working away on a brand new software program called BitQwik and today is the day I released it. BitQwik is a Siri-like natural language search tool for Evernote that understands plain English!

Please note, TagHunter is now part of BitQwik. To receive further upgrades to TagHunter please download and install BitQwik. I look forward to your comments on BitQwik and thanks for your support in the past. :)

-- roschler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-114555-0-20303000-1354694375_thumb.

I try to activate TagHunter and get this message. I've checked my EN password and it's correct. I've entered the correct password into TH but still get this message.

"Unable to login to Evernote with the user name and password you provided. Please try again.

Error Details:

Login failed with an OleException with the error code(80040205) and message: An unexpected exception was raised. Correct Evernote DLL in use? "

Could you please reply to wwickizer@gmail.com ?

Hello Wayne,

I just got your E-mail telling me that the latest version 2.0 works for you. Glad it did. Evernote changed a DLL with their latest release of the client that forced a necessary change in BitQwik to keep up. That version, which you apparently have already downloaded, solves the issue as you noted in your E-mail to me. I look forward to your feedback.

-- roschler

Hello everyone,

Two important points:

1. I just added a "most recently used search" feature to TagHunter (BitQwik). It will save your searches as you do them and show you a list of the most recently used searches in a list box so you can reuse a search easily. See the screenshot below:
  2. TagHunter is now part of BitQwik , the natural language search assistant for Evernote. All future updates to TagHunter will be found in BitQwik. If you are still using TagHunter and are running the latest Evernote Windows client, please upgrade to BitQwik! Here's the link:

http://bitqwik.com/

Here's a screenshot of the most recently used tag search:

tag-search-mru.png

-- roschler

Archived