(Archived) Free Utility: Tag Hunter - Intelligent Tag Search for Power Tag Users

roschler

ANNOUNCEMENT: using TagHunter is now part of BitQwik, the natural language search assistant for Evernote. All future changes to Taghunter will only be found in BitQwik. Please upgrade to BitQwik now. See this thread:

After several years of using Evernote and being an enthusiastic Tag user I have ended up with nearly 4000 Tags in my account. Worse, many of my tags have multiple variations and several misspellings. Plurals, singular, with a space and without, different tense and more, this situation leaves me with an uneasy sense that I'm forgetting the right Tag form whenever I do a Tag search. Being a programmer I decided to fix this so I created TagHunter. TagHunter is an intelligent power search tool that can search your Evernote note store on the Windows platform. It can wade quickly through thousands of tags and can even do simultaneous tag searches, the latter being a critical feature when you can't remember exactly how you tagged an important note. When you find the Tag that you are looking for, TagHunter will open the Evernote Windows client with the correct tag search loaded. TagHunter is amazingly tolerant of tag variations even when the variations are in the middle or at the end of a tag, and knows how to take apart multi-word tags properly to do an intelligent match.

Important: Tag Hunter requires the latest Evernote Windows client. If you have trouble, please try upgrading your Evernote client first.

Enough said. Watch the 2 minute

to see exactly how TagHunter works and how to use it. All the searches shown are real searches against the thousands of notes in my Evernote account and the thousands of tags they are annotated with.

bullet-red.jpg Here's the download link to TagHunter version 1.4.2.2b. If you have any earlier version of TagHunter on your system, please uninstall it first before installing 1.4.2.2b. This version, unlike earlier versions, does not require admin right to install it and has several important bug fixes for Windows 7 and some new features!

bullet-red.jpg A summary list of updates across all versions is below.

Don't forget to follow this topic if you want to be notified when new versions are posted!

UPDATE 1 - NESTED TAGS SUPPORT: I just added nested tags delimiter support. If you put something in the new box for entering one, and you enter a search term that contains that delimiter, then only tags that contain that delimiter and share the same prefix will be included in the search for that search term. For example, I created a parent tag called Parent and three child tags called Parent-Child 1, Parent-Child 2, and Parent-Child 3. I then entered the search term Parent-Child for the search. Because of this only the Tags that start with Parent were included in the search. In essence, it's a quick ad hoc filter for those of you that use nested tags with prefixes. The little question mark button next to the delimiter setting box explains it in case you need to remember how it works. See this post on this thread for a screenshot.

UPDATE 2 - LIST VIEW: New feature, a simple list view to go with the Tag Cloud view. For those of you that want a linear list instead of the Tag Cloud Viewer, I have now added a simple linear list of the matches that also show the scores. The list is in descending sort order so that the best matches are near the top of the list. See the second screenshot below the picture of the Tag Cloud View. Important: a 100% score may still not be an exact match since TagHunter's search has a built-in tolerance algorithm that treats very close matches the same, so this is not an error. TagHunter's scoring algorithms are complex and somewhat non-linear but be assured, the best matches will be near the top and the weaker ones will be towards the bottom of the list.

UPDATE 3 - SORTED TAG CLOUD: The tag cloud is now sorted so that when it first appears, closest matches are closer to you visually and weaker ones are to the back of the Cloud. Here's a screenshot of a sorted tag cloud.

UPDATE 4 - CLIPBOARD SUPPORT: The latest version now allows you to select rows in the list view and copy them to the clipboard so you can paste them into other applications. It supports the full Ctrl-Click, Shift-Click selection mechanisms you expect when working with a list box. Thanks to @jbenson2 for the suggestion!

UPDATE 5 - SEARCH NOTEBOOKS TOO: Thanks to a suggestion by @BurgerNFries you can now use TagHunter's powerful fuzzy search to search your notebooks too!

UPDATE 6 - Copy Notebook/Tag name to clipboard: Thanks to suggestions from @jbenson2 you can now copy a sorted list of either your Notebook names or Tag names to the clipboard. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 7 - Log Out of TagHunter: Thanks to suggestions from @Har Garaets and @FactMan you can now log out of TagHunter if you are in a multi-user environment, and also do multi-tag filtering when showing notes in the Evernote client. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 8 - Check for Updates and Google Search Integration: Integration with Google Search has now been added thanks to a suggestion from @FactMan. Also, there is a new tab that will tell you if you are running the latest version or not. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 9 - Sort by Tag/Notebook in List View fixed: This version fixes a bug @FactMan found with the column sort in the List View. Now, when you click on the column titled Tag, the list will be properly sorted alphabetically by the Tag or Notebook name.

UPDATE 10- Note Counts by Tag or Notebook in List View: This version can now calculate the number of notebooks per Tag or per Notebook for each item in the search results. See this post for details and a screenshot.

This is brand new software so please report any problems on this thread and I'll answer them. I'm looking forward to your feedback and I hope that TagHunter is as helpful to you as it is to me. Here's a screenshot of the program. I purposely misspelled venture capital, the third Tag in the search query shown, as ventnor capitol to show TagHunter's ability to handle badly formed tags either in the search query or the tags in your note store. The tag it found, ventur capital, is actually misspelled in my account that way yet TagHunter found it anyways during the simultaneous tag search shown in the screenshot:

taghunter-screen-1a.png

Simple List View with Scores

taghunter-screen-list-view.png

Sincerely,

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Hi - I installed TH OK, but when I click the shortcut I get a couple of seconds of HD activity and an icon in my task bar, but no visible window. Using Vista SP1 and the latest Evernote beta 4.5.9.7390 (267898) Prerelease.

Hello gazumped,

Do you have multiple monitors or a similar situation? It may be that the main screen is "off" your desktop. Also, please check the Task Manager and tell me if TaskHunter.exe is visible in the Process list. It should be since you said that the TaskHunter "binocular" icon is in your task bar. But it would be good to know.

Can you right click on the TaskHunter icon in your task bar and try the "Restore" option? Does right-clicking on the icon work at all?

I'll try the Beta release you are running and see if it works for me.

UPDATE: I can't find a download link for the beta you are running. Do you know where I can find it?

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Hi roschler, thanks for a lightning-fast response! Re your queries..

Yes I have multiple monitors, laptop +2; no sign of the window on any desktop. Task Manager does show TagHunter as active as both application and process.

Right-clicking gives me restore/minimize/close as options, but restore doesn't work.

And I subscribe to the beta channel, so got the update as an alert via Evernote; don't know if there's a direct link anywhere..

Gaz.

Hello gazumped,

TagHunter by default places itself on the center of the main desktop. I'm going to create a special version that forces it to coordinates 1, 1 on startup and see if it pops up on your monitors. I'll post the link when it's ready.

-- roschler

• Level 5

I have about 800 tags. Tag-Hunter is working OK.

I use a 3-character prefix system that groups similar tags in a Parent - Child structure. It also helps point out misspellings.

Company

Com-Amazon

Com-Apple

Com-ATT

Initial comment:

Works fine.

p.s. The initial Tag-Hunter straddled both of my screens. I dragged it over to my main screen.

Hello jbenson2,

Thank you for that feedback and I'm glad it's working for you! Please post any suggestions you have for future versions on this thread.

Ok so there's a multi-monitor issue. It looks like TagHunter is trying to center itself in the middle of your virtual desktop which spreads across both screens. If you have closed the app then it will have saved the last known screen position so you should be OK from this point on. I'll go work on the screen positioning code and see if I can come up with a better solution for those with multiple monitors.

Are you a fan of the show FireFly (Joss Whedon)? If not, this is what the Title Reaver the forum assigned you means. It has me chuckling at the moment. :)

-- roschler

• Level 5

Does Tag-Hunter Does it analyze the parent level tag?

The reason I am asking is that when I search for Per (my 3 character prefix for Personal), I get some odd results when I repeatedly click search.

Ayers William

Merkel Angela

Free Speech

The blue selections are correct however:

Per-Car

Per-Entertainment

Impeach

Super-PAC

But some per-s are black, for instance

Per-Pet

Per-Yard

Per-Travel

• Level 5

Are you a fan of the show FireFly (Joss Whedon)? If not, this is what the Title Reaver the forum assigned you means. It has me chuckling at the moment. :)

Yes. It was a great show!

I selected that name after getting into some rather heated discussions on this forum.

Reavers are readily recognized in any situation by both appearance and behavior. Whether ritually or in fits of rage, they maim themselves, peeling off parts of their own skins and shoving pieces of metal into the flesh. Reavers are savage, brutal and primal, though they engage in some form of social behavior and cooperation within their own group. Their contact with normal humans appears limited to combat, rape, torture, murder, and cannibalism. These contacts are brief and survivors few. As a result, little is known of Reavers' social structure.

That was before I found the "Ignore user" feature in the forum.

TagHunter will weight a longer string match higher, even if is inexact, than a very short exact 3 character match. It sounds like you need a hybrid search that looks for a user specified character. In your case this is the minus sign ("-"). Then it should filter the search so that only Tags that begin with that prefix on the left side of the delimiter character are allowed into the search. Let me put some thought into that.

-- roschler

• Level 5*
Please download this version that will force itself to coordinates 1, 1 on your monitor. Tell me if it works for you.

Thank you sir, that works fine. Just for the record I went for a restart on my system with 1.0.0.1 still loaded, but that didn't help. Replaced it with .2 and everything now seems to be working well. I have a little over 1,000 tags, but that's too many (in my view). I need to edit them down somewhat, and TagHunter seems to be an ideal tool to help me do that.

While we're on the Firefly connections, check out http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Operative - we all have our secrets around here...

@jbenson2,

I just added nested tags delimiter support. If you put something in the new box for entering one, and you enter a search term that contains that delimiter, then only tags that contain that delimiter and share the same prefix will be included in the search for that search term. For example, I created a parent tag called Parent and three child tags called Parent-Child 1, Parent-Child 2, and Parent-Child 3. I then entered the search term Parent-Child for the search. Because of this only the Tags that start with Parent- were included in the search. In essence, it's a quick ad hoc filter for those of you that use nested tags with prefixes. The little question mark button next to the delimiter setting box explains it in case you need to remember how it works. You can use this download link or the one in the top post. Tell me if this solves your search needs. Here's a screenshot.

taghunter-screen-2.png

Although I'm not a fan of tag clouds, I think this program will be helpful, since I occasionally can't find tags. IDK if I've forgotten where I nested them or if I accidentally nested them somehwere. :o However, one thing I'm not sure about & maybe it's a tag cloud thing. I have one tag, "Kidney diet". AFAIK, there should not be any other tags that are close to that. So when I enter kidney diet in TagHunter, I still get a tag cloud. Shouldn't I just get the one tag returned? (I've tried it with quotes & without quotes).

PS - I use a virtual dual monitor with Maxivista. TagHunter seems to work well with my setup. It opened up on my main screen & I was able to move it to the other one.

Hello BurgersNFries,

Unless a match is plain out horrid TagHunter takes the top N matches across all search terms. In a later version I'll add a straight list view that includes the scores so people can see how close the matches really are (or aren't). In other words, TagHunter errs on the side of being (very) tolerant as opposed to being strict. I'll add a "tolerance" slider in the future for people that want to tighten things up if they are getting matches they don't like.

-- roschler

Hello BurgersNFries,

Unless a match is plain out horrid TagHunter takes the top N matches across all search terms. In a later version I'll add a straight list view that includes the scores so people can see how close the matches really are (or aren't). In other words, TagHunter errs on the side of being (very) tolerant as opposed to being strict. I'll add a "tolerance" slider in the future for people that want to tighten things up if they are getting matches they don't like.

-- roschler

Ok, thanks!

• Level 5

@jbenson2,

I just added nested tags delimiter support. If you put something in the new box for entering one, and you enter a search term that contains that delimiter, then only tags that contain that delimiter and share the same prefix will be included in the search for that search term. For example, I created a parent tag called Parent and three child tags called Parent-Child 1, Parent-Child 2, and Parent-Child 3. I then entered the search term Parent-Child for the search. Because of this only the Tags that start with Parent- were included in the search. In essence, it's a quick ad hoc filter for those of you that use nested tags with prefixes. The little question mark button next to the delimiter setting box explains it in case you need to remember how it works. You can use this download link or the one in the top post. Tell me if this solves your search needs.

Thank you

• Level 5

Suggestion - In the help field are the following comments:

"Click
Launch
to see notes tagged with the currently selected tag (highlighted in RED)."

I don't see a Launch button. Should it be changed to:

Click
Show Notes In Evernote
to see notes tagged with the currently selected tag (highlighted in RED).

edit: or just rename the button to Launch.
  • Level 5

The new List feature with Score (%) helps a lot. Actually, I find it more useful than the Cloud view.

When I search for a tag named paycheck, it nails it in the list feature with a 100% score. There are quite a few other tags in the 45% to 36% range.

http://www.evernote....a3964f35884c035

It would be nice if I could launch the 100% tag directly from the List view.

Why? When I use the Cloud view, paycheck does not show up in red. However, if I click the Search button enough times, it will eventually toggle through those lower % tags and come back to paycheck.

Hello jbenson2,

re: nested tags delimiter

Glad you like it! :)

re: help text

You're right, thanks for that. I changed the title of the "Launch Evernote" button and forgot to update the help. I'll fix that in the next release. If it really bugs you, you can SHIFT + LEFT-CLICK on the Help window and Wordpad will be launched with the help file. After making your edits in Wordpad, CTRL + LEFT CLICK will update the help window (or just relaunch TagHunter).

re: list view

It would be nice if I could launch the 100% tag directly from the Score view.

I'm a little confused here. You can launch from list view. Just click on the tag you want until it's highlighted and click the Show Notes In Evernote button. Is this not working for you?

The new list feature with Score (%) helps a lot. Actually, I find it more useful than the Cloud view.

List view is better when you are sure about the Tag you are looking for. Cloud view is better when you need to be reminded about other tags that you have forgotten. It is also beneficial when you do a multi-tag search. At least that's how it works out for me.

-- roschler

Hello again @jbenson2,

When I use the Cloud view, paycheck does not show up in red.

The tag highlighted in red in cloud view is not the best match. It is merely the match that is closest to the center of the view area and is the one that will be launched when you click the Show Notes In Evernote button. Here's the color legend for Cloud view:

Currently selected tag (RED)

Closest matches (BLUE)

Other matches (BLACK)

I'll take a look at positioning the 100% match in cloud view at the center when cloud view first loads. I hadn't thought of that.

-- roschler

• Level 5

re: list view

It would be nice if I could launch the 100% tag directly from the Score view.

I'm a little confused here. You can launch from list view. Just click on the tag you want until it's highlighted and click the Show Notes In Evernote button. Is this not working for you?

Ahh, forgot to hit the Show Notes button.

Yes, it does work.

The new list feature with Score (%) helps a lot. Actually, I find it more useful than the Cloud view.

List view is better when you are sure about the Tag you are looking for. Cloud view is better when you need to be reminded about other tags that you have forgotten. It is also beneficial when you do a multi-tag search. At least that's how it works out for me.

-- roschler

Understand. I'll play around with the multi-tag search.

@BurgersNFries,

Please download the latest version. I've added a simple list view that shows the scores too in descending order, best matches at the top. I've added a screen shot and update to my original post that you can check out first.

Thanks,

-- roschler

Sorry for the delay, roschler... I'd not taken the time to download the latest version, due to other priorities. However, this morning, I was looking for a tag & YES!!! I was able to find it using the original/tag cloud version. (THANK YOU!) I subsequently downloaded & installed the newer version & Yes, I like that one much better! I was looking for a tag that I knew contained the words "mother" "red" "address" "book". I've apparently nested it somewhere & could not find it quickly. Using the two search terms "red" & "book" did not bring the right tag up immediately in big letters in the tag cloud. But I was able to hover around quickly enough to find it. (YAY!) But in the updated/list view, that tag showed up at the top of the list with a 100 % match. What a great job you did on this app!

THANK YOU!!!!

Big props to you!!!

PS - I would also add that I like the fact that the list view includes the various other matches. I can see where this would be helpful & that I will find useful. I think I just have an aversion to tag clouds b/c as I stated above, it seems to me if something matches 100%, that should be the thing in big, bold letters & the defaulted selection. (Not really trying to continue to dog tag clouds, just trying to explain why I like the list version MUCH better!)

UPDATE: I see where the tag cloud now DOES default the selection to the best match. Although I still prefer the list view, that makes the tag cloud more palatable, IMO. But when I move my mouse to click on that, it moves. (sigh) I guess that's why I just don't like tag clouds.

Anyway, I LOVE the list view & appreciate that you added that!

Hello BurgersNFries,

Thank you for the kind words!

Don't worry. I searched the web and I did not find any mention of a Tag Cloud Defamation League so I think you're safe. :)

This is why I like feedback from real users besides myself. It makes a better product for myself too. I've become quite fond of the List view and the sorted Tag Cloud. As I said to jbenson2, the Tag Cloud is more of an exploration tool than a hard core search tool. It helps jog my memory of other similar tags that I used to describe the same topic that I'd forgotten about. When I want find a specific tag I use the List view now.

But when I move my mouse to click on that, it moves.

The Tag Cloud does take a little getting used to. I was going to make it so you just clicked on a Tag in the cloud to select it, but when there's a lot of matches the Tags are frequently on top of each other and trying to figure out the one you actually meant to click on is hard. Instead you:

• Click on the tag you want and leave the mouse where you just clicked, letting the Tag Cloud rotate the tag until it is dead center and highlighted in red.
  • Then you click again to stop the Tag Cloud from spinning

-- roschler

• Level 5

Minor suggestion - certainly not a show stopper:

When I run Tag Hunter full screen, there is a lot of unused real estate.

It would be nice if the Cloud List section could be dragged upwards to show more tags.

• Level 5

Suggestion:

This one might be over the top.

How about another column. Score%, Tag, and # of Notes

I do housecleaning in Evernote to find tags that are not used very much.

If I find a tag that is used less than 5 times, I will add the tag to the notes as a keyword and then delete the tag.

Warning:

Even if you could do this, you might want to think twice.

Other people might start requesting additional filters to see how many tags are in a specific notebook.

Minor suggestion - certainly not a show stopper:

When I run Tag Hunter full screen, there is a lot of unused real estate.

It would be nice if the Cloud List section could be dragged upwards to show more tags.

That problem has been fixed now jbenson2. Thanks for reporting it. The Cloud View expands now instead of the top panel.

Suggestion:

This one might be over the top.

How about another column. Score%, Tag, and # of Notes

I do housecleaning in Evernote to find tags that are not used very much.

If I find a tag that is used less than 5 times, I will add the tag to the notes as a keyword and then delete the tag.

I'll ask Evernote if there's a quick way to calculate those stats. I may have to limit it to searching for N notes or less so that the operation is not a big time consumer. However, that sounds like it will still fit your needs for pruning tags?

Warning:

Even if you could do this, you might want to think twice.

Other people might start requesting additional filters to see how many tags are in a specific notebook.

Software is a two-state phenomenon. Either no one is using your product and your feature list is tiny. Or people like your product and your feature list is longer than your available time by a factor of many. :)

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Thanks for the new versions - awesome development rate!

One suggestion as to direction for TagHunter - we've all been wingeing commenting about the lack of a 'proper' tag manager in Evernote for generalised adding, editing and planning a tag structure - could your app display an existing long flat list of tags and help group related items into stacks? It might help to display a note against each tag as a reminder of where they're meant to be used - a kind of tagging system for tags!

This isn't an urgent need - or even a current one: just suggesting a possible area for future consideration...

Thanks for the new versions - awesome development rate!

One suggestion as to direction for TagHunter - we've all been wingeing commenting about the lack of a 'proper' tag manager in Evernote for generalised adding, editing and planning a tag structure - could your app display an existing long flat list of tags and help group related items into stacks? It might help to display a note against each tag as a reminder of where they're meant to be used - a kind of tagging system for tags!

This isn't an urgent need - or even a current one: just suggesting a possible area for future consideration...

I'll put that on the list for future consideration gazumped and thanks for the suggestion.

-- roschler

Hi,

What a super tool. I like the idea, I like your solution and the way it works. I'll work with it for a few day and than make it a blog-topic on my blog on www.workactive.nl..

For now i got one remark. While testing i got the next error: (TCalcEntropicSphere3DPoints.Create) The number of items is less than 2.

When i repeat the search i get the error The number of elements in the tag cloud array does not match the number.....

Then TagHunter freezes.

Please advice me what to do.

Regard,

Har Geraets

www.workactive.nl

www.mindandhand.nl

Hello Har,

Is it possible that you are doing a search for something that you literally have no tags that match it, even remotely? How many tags do you have? It may be that your search is resulting less than 2 results. The tag cloud viewer doesn't know how to handle that. Usually with the fuzzy search that almost never happens since there's typically at least a few matches. But your particular situation may be different. I'll add code to watch for that occurrence in the next build and prevent the error. Thanks for reporting that.

-- roschler

Dang, I was wishing your utility worked on notebooks/stacks, a few minutes ago. I was looking for a notebook that I'd apparently put into a stack & couldn't find it. (ARGHHH....!!!) Immediately I thought "Tag Hunter" & then a second later realized my problem was with notebooks & not tags. (pout) Of course with the 250 limit on notebooks and only two levels deep, finding a notebook is not as problematic as it can be with tags.

Anyway, I think you should post a link where happy users can buy you a beer. Just sayin'

• Level 5

Copy and paste into a spreadsheet works great. Thank you.

- I can see the BIG PICTURE and find mistakes easily. Just awesome!

- One extra benefit is that my spreadsheet points out tag spelling errors.

Increasing the viewable information in the full screen mode works fine. Thanks

The search for Tags or Notebooks option (right side) is a neat feature.

• Level 5

Suggestion - Instead of:

Copy to Clipboard - ? - Select All - Copy to Clipboard

Would this be a more logical sequence:

Select First Row Only - Select All - Copy to Clipboard - ?

- Haven't figured out how to get a full dump of all my tags, Currently searching for just the letter e (most common letter) to get the majority of my tags.

I'd have to add that as a feature, something like Copy All Tags/Notebooks to clipboard. Perhaps in the next release.

Suggestion - Instead of:

Copy to Clipboard - ? - Select All - Copy to Clipboard

Would this be a more logical sequence:

Select First Row Only - Select All - Copy to Clipboard - ?

Yes it would. I'll change that.

Question

Is there a way to determine the Version I am running?

It should be at the very top of the form in the Title bar, after Android Technologies, Inc.?

-- roschler

• Level 5

I moved one of my comments to here for some additional detail.

Feedback on copy and paste into a spreadsheet

I haven't figured out how to get a full dump of all my tags, Currently searching for just the letter e (most common letter) to get the majority of my tags.

Tried to trick the program by using the 3 search fields and searching for :

Tag 1: a

Tag 2: e

Tag 3: i

But that resulted in duplicates and triplicates in the spreadsheet.

edit: Just read your comment:

"I'd have to add that as a feature, something like Copy All Tags/Notebooks to clipboard. Perhaps in the next release."

• Level 5

Question

It should be at the very top of the form in the Title bar, after Android Technologies, Inc.?

-- roschler

Found it. Thanks

I have a blue cloud background and the translucent TagHunter name and version sort of blend into my wallpaper.

Perhaps a slight change to "TagHunter - Android Technologies Inc. - Version 1.2.0.7" would make it more obvious.

Question

-- roschler

Found it. Thanks

I have a blue cloud background and the translucent TagHunter name and version sort of blend into my wallpaper.

Perhaps a slight change to "TagHunter - Android Technologies Inc. - Version 1.2.0.7" would make it more obvious.

Good idea, will do. Thanks!

-- roschler

Here is the download link for TagHunter version 1.2.0.8b. What's new in this version:

1. New function to copy all your Tag names in alphabetical order to the clipboard
  2. New function to copy all your Notebook names in alphabetical order to the clipboard
  3. Better ordering of the copy-to-clipboard buttons on List View tab
  4. Added "Version" to the title bar to make it easier to find the current program version

Note, you can find the functions that copy the Notebook and Tag names to the clipboard in Other drop-down menu option in the new menu bar. See this screenshot:

taghunter-other-menu.png

Thanks to @jbenson2 for the suggestions. :)

- roschler

Hi Roschler,

I agree. AWESOME. I use TagHunter constantly. The last version with copying all tags en notebooks to the clipboard is perfect.

I do have one request for you. We work with several users on Evernote on the same machine and therefor there are several Evernote accounts. When i leave the pc i allways logout Evernote. Can you make a logout-button in Taghunter. I know that Evernote does not open if i am not logged in and the button "Show notes in Evernote" is pushed, but TagHunter has its own credentials to login my Evernote-account. I want to prevent any access to my Evernote-account when i am not behind the machine. I find this a mayour security risk.

Regards and keep on the good work.

Har

• Level 5*

I uninstalled an earlier version of TagHunter because I couldn't see the value of it, but reinstalled it based on the comments I was seeing here (I guess thanks to BNF!). I am still not sure I understand the value of the cloud, but the list view is awesome. One question: when I enter 'Muscles' and 'Disease' as two tags in the search box, the tags all come up. However, when I click on those two in the list view it tells me that 'Muscles' is the selected tag, and search in Evernote produces just those notes tagged with 'muscles'. Is it possible to combine the terms so that it would search for 'Muscles AND Disease'? I search for combinations of tags frequently, so this would be truly awesome - selecting combinations of tags in Evernote is also difficult ...

Here is the download link to TagHunter 1.2.0.9b.

New features in this version:

• Logout feature
  • Multi-tag Show Notes In Evernote capability with Match All/ Match Any search style choices

Thanks to @Har Garaets there is a new Logout feature in TagHunter. You can find it under the Other drop-down menu choice at the top of the screen (see screenshot below). If you click on this option you will be logged out of TagHunter, your user name and password will be cleared (set to blank), and the Cloud View and List View areas will be cleared for your protection. You will also be prompted to sign out of the Evernote client. I have put a request into Evernote to add a Logout call to the Windows interface I use to interact with the Evernote client. If they decide to implement that you won't have to sign out separately from the Evernote client.

Thanks to @FactMan you can now select multiple tags in the List View and when you click on Show Notes In Evernote you will see only Notes that match all of the tags you have selected. For example, if you select (highlight) "robotics" and "industrial" in the List View you will only see notes that are tagged with both "robotics" and "industrial". However, if you change the Match Style from the default Match ALL to Match Any, then you will see notes that are tagged with either "robotics" or "industrial". (See screenshot below).

taghunter-logout-and-multi-tag-search.png

-- roschler

• Level 5*

With the recent revisions coming faster than I could keep up (!) I installed 6,7 & 8 back to back without removing the old files first. Now that I have 9, I'm about to install, but thought I'd make sure the previous software was gone - turns out my system thought all three of those previous packages were still there. One quick Revo session later, that's not an issue, but it would be good to stress "uninstall first" with these new packages...

Very not complaining here - still gobsmacked at the work involved in adding new features more or less by return email!

Been said before, but I'll +1 the general: Awesome!!

With the recent revisions coming faster than I could keep up (!) I installed 6,7 & 8 back to back without removing the old files first. Now that I have 9, I'm about to install, but thought I'd make sure the previous software was gone - turns out my system thought all three of those previous packages were still there. One quick Revo session later, that's not an issue, but it would be good to stress "uninstall first" with these new packages...

Very not complaining here - still gobsmacked at the work involved in adding new features more or less by return email!

Are you installing to a different directory each time? I always install to the same directory on my system and never uninstall and I have not had a problem. Can you clarify what you mean when you say "thought all three of those previous packages were still there". Maybe I'm not understanding something here.

-- roschler

Are you installing to a different directory each time? I always install to the same directory on my system and never uninstall and I have not had a problem. Can you clarify what you mean when you say "thought all three of those previous packages were still there". Maybe I'm not understanding something here.

-- roschler

I think I skipped a version or two. But I know I've installed at least three versions & have never uninstalled. I always install on the G drive. AFAIK, there's only one version on my system - 9.

• Level 5*

Thanks to @FactMan you can now select multiple tags in the List View and when you click on Show Notes In Evernote you will see only Notes that match all of the tags you have selected. For example, if you select (highlight) "robotics" and "industrial" in the List View you will only see notes that are tagged with both "robotics" and "industrial". However, if you change the Match Style from the default Match ALL to Match Any, then you will see notes that are tagged with either "robotics" or "industrial". (See screenshot below).

taghunter-logout-and-multi-tag-search.png

-- roschler

To paraphrase BNF, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I really like the new features (especially the all/any option since I asked for it!) - the integration with Evernote is excellent with the addition of the log out functionality! Maybe Evernote should buy your code, but not until you have perfected it! I love your responsiveness to requests.

I am going to go out on a limb here and ask whether it is possible to create Boolean searches in TagHunter? I suspect not, since there would be no way you could get them to work in Evernote? I am thinking of ((firewall AND qualcommunity) NOT 'mobile health') as an example using the 3 tags you have listed... Just being greedy, because I think the 3 levels of tags will narrow my searches sufficiently - then I can tweak a bit more in EN to find an exact match. Even if it means moving the search results to a temporary notebook. Sorry for the spec creep, but a huge thank you for what you have done so far!

• Level 5

- Haven't figured out how to get a full dump of all my tags, Currently searching for just the letter e (most common letter) to get the majority of my tags.

I'd have to add that as a feature, something like Copy All Tags/Notebooks to clipboard. Perhaps in the next release.

-- roschler

You did it. Superb! Another attaboy!

Your program is becoming a powerhouse in analyzing my Evernote info.

Thank you. Thank you.

@FactMan

Thanks for the kinds words!

re: Boolean logic

It's an interesting idea. No promises, but maybe somewhere down the road. Right now I have other things I'm working on that are on the front burner.

@jbenson2

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

-- roschler

Sorry, but I looked - can't find/ see the post.

It's scrolled off already but you can still find it in the section on the right hand side of the page at top titled Recent Posts by Others on Evernote. If you click on More Posts you'll see it. Not a big deal, just trying to figure out how to let others know about TagHunter.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Hmmn - I'm sensing National Differences here; just had a look under More Posts and See All, and went back 2-3 days, but still can't find it! As far as profile raising is concerned, have a look at Facebook and LinkedIn 'business pages'. You could set up your own company or product page (as Evernote has) to exchange messages and get feedback.

Ok thanks gazumped. As I said, it's not a big deal. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the word out to the huge number of other Windows Evernote users that could use TagHunter. Thanks for the tips on the business pages.

-- roschler

Hello all,

Download TagHunter version 1.4.0.1b.

What's new in 1.4.0.1b?

1. TagHunter can now launch a Google search using the Tags or Notebooks you have selected in either Cloud View or List View. When you press the new Google button, your browser will be launched with a new Tab showing a Google search built from from the currently selected Evernote Tags or Notebooks. Match ALL/Match Any works too since TagHunter knows how to properly quote multi-word tags and use the Google mandatory keyword operator ('+') to craft a Google query that supports those search styles. (See screenshot below). You can thank @FactMan for the Google search integration idea. He suggested it on another thread I have going about possibly integrating TagHunter with Delicious, the social bookmarking site.
  2. There's a new tab titled "Check for Updates". You can click on that tab to see if there's a newer version of TagHunter than the one you are running. (See screenshot below).

That's for now. I hope you enjoy the new features.

Screenshot of 1.4.0.1.b

taghunter-1-4-0-1-b.png

• Level 5*

Love it! Unfortunately, the check for updates tab gives me "This program cannot display the webpage."

Also, clicking on the tags column in the list view does not seem to sort in alpha order? The Score (%) column does sort correctly.

Another "bug"? I had done a search and selected a tag from the list. I cleared the original search after I had highlighted one of the listed items. Clicked on "Show notes in Evernote" then spent a bit of time working on the notes it showed. Came back to Taghunter and found multiple dialog boxes: System Error. Code 5. Access is denied. OK. After clearing all of those, I was able to continue using Taghunter - BTW, rather than cluttering up this thread with "bug" reports, maybe you should add somewhere to report bugs to the interface?

Love it! Unfortunately, the check for updates tab gives me "This program cannot display the webpage."

Also, clicking on the tags column in the list view does not seem to sort in alpha order? The Score (%) column does sort correctly.

Another "bug"? I had done a search and selected a tag from the list. I cleared the original search after I had highlighted one of the listed items. Clicked on "Show notes in Evernote" then spent a bit of time working on the notes it showed. Came back to Taghunter and found multiple dialog boxes: System Error. Code 5. Access is denied. OK. After clearing all of those, I was able to continue using Taghunter - BTW, rather than cluttering up this thread with "bug" reports, maybe you should add somewhere to report bugs to the interface?

Hello FactMan,

I have fixed the Alphabetical sort problem for column 1. See my next reply after this one.

"This program cannot display the webpage"

Perhaps your firewall is blocking TagHunter? Did you grant TagHunter permission to access the Internet? I don't have this problem. If any other users are having this problem please reply.

Note, I have added a Check Now button to the Check for Update tab so you can test by doing an immediate check. Normally the system waits until the date changes to the next day before checking again for updates.

"System Error. Code 5"

I haven't seen that error. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that while you were editing the notes, TagHunter was locked out of the Evernote Windows client. That error is related to the Windows function I use to launch Evernote or any other application. But that operation only happens when you launch the Evernote client after doing a Tag or Notebook search (Show Notes In Evernote), or when you launch a Google search in the same context. Since you didn't say you tried to do that while you were in the middle of editing a Note with the Evernote client, I can't see how that situation would arise. If you could run some more tests that would be great.

If you could give me an approximate count of the number of error dialog boxes you had to clear up when you got back to TagHunter, that would be helpful to know.

"BTW, rather than cluttering up this thread with "bug" reports, maybe you should add somewhere to report bugs to the interface?"

I'll be getting around to that kind of thing in a few weeks once I get some more free time. Right now I"m saving my time for fixing bugs and responding to feature requests since I'm really busy with another programming project right now.

-- roschler

Had a go with the latest version, and it produced an error about Evernote. Seems it cannot find it.

---------------------------
Evernote Not Found
TagHunter will now shut down since the Evernote install directory could not be found in the system registry. Is Evernote installed on your PC?

Error details:

(TEvernoteWindowsAPI.Create) Unable to find the registry key for ENScript.EXE.

Unable to open key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ENScript.exe" for read
OK

So, I went looking....

1. That is the correct, expected location, according to the API pages. So maybe something is wrong on my end.

2. For whatever reason, the keys for EN are located in HKCU...I have no idea why, but that is where they are. Yet another weird thing about my EN install. :huh::rolleyes:

At any rate, I cannot play with it, but I don't think it is your fault :(

p.s. While the error is shown, I can mess around with the interface a little. Check for updates works for me, interestingly, I see this:

Version info: The latest version of Robodance is 1.4.0.1. You are running version 1.4.0.2. Please upgrade now.

Scott

Hello Scott,

re: Registry key

Please post the full path to your registry key in HKCU, assuming there isn't any sensitive information in the key chain. I'll just modify TagHunter to look there too.

re: Check for updates

I forgot to update the latest version value on my web server. :) It's fixed now.

-- roschler

Mine is here, pretty much a carbon copy in HKCU:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ENScript.exe

I have wondered before now if there is something off with my install...For one, it is located in APPDATA rather than Program Files (a permissions/windows account type issue) and I wonder if this is the reason behind this...

At any rate, I wouldn't want you to go changing loads of things just for me to test, seeing as I may be an outlier case...

Scott

Mine is here, pretty much a carbon copy in HKCU:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ENScript.exe

I have wondered before now if there is something off with my install...For one, it is located in APPDATA rather than Program Files (a permissions/windows account type issue) and I wonder if this is the reason behind this...

At any rate, I wouldn't want you to go changing loads of things just for me to test, seeing as I may be an outlier case...

Scott

Hello Scott,

Please download TagHunter 1.4.0.3b and tell me if it works for you.

Thanks,

Robert

This seems to work better, thanks! :)

I see this error message twice when opening TagHunter, but after that, I can use it normally.

TagHunter
(loadSubstVarFromFile) Could not find the substitution variable file named : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter\help\global-substitution-tech-support-forum.rtf

OK

Now to play with it :P

Scott

This seems to work better, thanks! :)

I see this error message twice when opening TagHunter, but after that, I can use it normally.

TagHunter
(loadSubstVarFromFile) Could not find the substitution variable file named : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter\help\global-substitution-tech-support-forum.rtf

OK

Now to play with it :P

Scott

Yes it really does seem that your paths are a bit different. TagHunter store its help files in your "local data" directory as is required by Windows 7 permissions. Your "local data" directory appears to be different. In fact, yours looks like it was setup by someone with a Linux background since the root dir is "Users" instead of "Documents and Settings" like most people:

C:\Documents and Settings\roschler\Application Data\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter

I'll see what I can do about that.

-- roschler

C:\Documents and Settings\roschler\Application Data\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter

As I understand it, that is the XP location for %APPDATA%, whereas on vista and 7, this is different.

Vista/7 use the C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming... paths

Ok, so I left the machine for about 5 minutes and when I came back and unlocked it, I saw this:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/f9a4d43a-5ba8-4668-9230-a23f16a0d01e/f08927ef3f093e9c1d1d2881fca3292c

I guess it is an extension of FactMan's report of the same error. I count 27 messages.

EDIT: I can replicate this by simply locking my machine while TagHunter is running, and it seems like many more than 27 messages. Once they get to the bottom right corner, they just stack above each other...Lots of clicking :P

• Level 5*

Everything seems to work for me -

Startup generates a Webpage Error: quotes "Line: 68 Error: Object expected" but the page works fine after that.

And I get "Version info: The latest version of Robodance is 1.4.0.2. You are running version 1.4.0.3. Please upgrade now."

Happy re-organising tags now. Cheers!

@jbenson2 - Thanks!

@FactMan, @spg Scott, & @gazumped, and anyone else having a problem with TagHunter.

Please download TagHunter 1.4.0.4b.

It has error diagnostic tools. As you can see by the screenshot below, there is a new tab called "Error Log". Whenever an error occurs you will see a gently flashing message at the very bottom of the screen. Click on that bar and you will be taken to the Error Log tab. There is a button on that page called Copy To Clipboard. Click on that button to copy the error log to the clipboard and send it to me at the E-mail address the message box shows you (please don't post that address on the forum please). I'll check that E-mail address periodically for bug reports. If you like, go ahead and ping me via private messages to tell me you have sent me one. This additional information will help me solve the bugs you are having.

Also, expect the version number on the updates page to be out of whack until I solve the bugs you have reported. I don't want people being prompted to download 1.4.0.4b until I know it's working for you.

taghunter-error-log.png

Hello Har,

Yes I'm keeping the version at 1.4.0.2 on the server until some bugs that have been reported have been fixed. For now, I want those using an older version not to upgrade until that's done. I'll work out a better system in the future so there is less confusion. Thanks for reporting that.

-- roschler

Ok, so you have suppressed the error messages to the log. That is more usable (for me atleast) :)

I went looking for the global-substitution-tech-support-forum.rtf that I get an error for. It isn't where it is expected to be, and I can't find it anywhere else. Would there be a reason for it not being created?

Do you want the full info from the log about the Error 5 messages? Simply locking/unlocking is enough for me to generate loads of entries in the log.

Hello Scott,

The reason the file can't be found is because of the variance between the application data folders we talked about. Once I create a fix that handles your situation that should go away. Yours is unique since the code normally does work on Windows 7. Still working on that.

Please do E-mail me the log to the E-mail address specified in the program. That would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Robert

Sure, it is odd though, because there is another 2 files in that folder, which means that there is some access to it...

Out of interest, what win 7 setup have you tested?

I am on 64bit, with a limited user account. (any other info needed, I can provide ;))

Email containing the log sent. Meant to include that there were 62 occurrences of it in the log.

Finally found the file.

It was here:

"C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter\help\global-substitution-tech-support-forum.rtf"

Notice the admin (TH asks for admin rights when installing so that may be a factor...)

There are also many other files that are in that location as well.

The file you E-mailed only contains E-mail headers. I don't see the log. Can you try clipping the error log to the clipboard, putting it in a Notepad file, and E-mailing me that file? The file you sent me is essentially empty.

Finally found the file.

It was here:

"C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\AndroidTechnologiesInc\TagHunter\help\global-substitution-tech-support-forum.rtf"

Notice the admin (TH asks for admin rights when installing so that may be a factor...)

There are also many other files that are in that location as well.

That's the first I've heard of that. There may be a different problem going on. I don't specify a particular folder, I just ask for the location of the user's local app data folder. I I do my primary development on XP so that's why it's Documents and Settings. On Windows 7 it's the Windows 7 default. The real problem appears to be that TagHunter is installing to the admin account instead of your User account. However, I've not had anybody else report that TagHunter requires admin rights when installing on Windows 7. If someone out there has encountered this please reply. I wonder if there's something about the security settings on your system that is different than typical? You appear to have to do the equivalent of doing a sudo on Linux, requiring a switch to the administrator's account to install to get the permissions needed by TagHunter, permissions that on other people's configurations do not trigger a request for administrator rights. I'm working a question on Stack Overflow to get this sorted out. I'll post here when I've got an answer.

I run my Windows 7 tests on a 64-bit build I have running in a separate boot partition.

-- roschler

Strange, I emailed from within Evernote, and got the message correctly...Anyway, I will try again, just through normal gmail.

I am on a limited privilege account with (I think) UAC turned up to the highest setting. I run the installer and it asks for admin rights. I don't run TH as admin though.

Strange, I emailed from within Evernote, and got the message correctly...Anyway, I will try again, just through normal gmail.

I am on a limited privilege account with (I think) UAC turned up to the highest setting. I run the installer and it asks for admin rights. I don't run TH as admin though.

I'm glad you are. Getting this solved will save a lot of people trouble in the future. Later today I'll have a new build of the install program that explicitly requests the lower privileges level necessary. I'd like you to test it when it's ready.

-- roschler

Scott,

Your attachments are coming through as 0 bytes (empty). I did see a message from you this time:

So, lets try again.

Errors should be attached in a txt file.

So, preforming a search, then locking and unlocking the machine. This is

what results.

For now, just paste the error log into the actual message of the E-mail please. I've received a couple of bug reports today and their attachments were fine so I'm not sure what is happening in your case, but for now I just want to get you going.

-- roschler

Scott,

Got it thanks. When you say our locking/unlocking the system, can you tell me exactly what you are doing? Are you logging off/logging on, etc.? This appears to be a problem with UAC permissions while TagHunter is running when the system is hibernating.

-- roshcler

Archived