Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Free Utility: Tag Hunter - Intelligent Tag Search for Power Tag Users

evernote search utility tags tag taghunter tool

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

ANNOUNCEMENT: using TagHunter is now part of BitQwik, the natural language search assistant for Evernote. All future changes to Taghunter will only be found in BitQwik. Please upgrade to BitQwik now. See this thread:

http://discussion.ev...-the-same-time/

After several years of using Evernote and being an enthusiastic Tag user I have ended up with nearly 4000 Tags in my account. Worse, many of my tags have multiple variations and several misspellings. Plurals, singular, with a space and without, different tense and more, this situation leaves me with an uneasy sense that I'm forgetting the right Tag form whenever I do a Tag search. Being a programmer I decided to fix this so I created TagHunter. TagHunter is an intelligent power search tool that can search your Evernote note store on the Windows platform. It can wade quickly through thousands of tags and can even do simultaneous tag searches, the latter being a critical feature when you can't remember exactly how you tagged an important note. When you find the Tag that you are looking for, TagHunter will open the Evernote Windows client with the correct tag search loaded. TagHunter is amazingly tolerant of tag variations even when the variations are in the middle or at the end of a tag, and knows how to take apart multi-word tags properly to do an intelligent match.

Important: Tag Hunter requires the latest Evernote Windows client. If you have trouble, please try upgrading your Evernote client first.

Enough said. Watch the 2 minute TagHunter tutorial video to see exactly how TagHunter works and how to use it. All the searches shown are real searches against the thousands of notes in my Evernote account and the thousands of tags they are annotated with.

Posted Image Here's the download link to TagHunter version 1.4.2.2b. If you have any earlier version of TagHunter on your system, please uninstall it first before installing 1.4.2.2b. This version, unlike earlier versions, does not require admin right to install it and has several important bug fixes for Windows 7 and some new features!

Posted Image A summary list of updates across all versions is below.

Don't forget to follow this topic if you want to be notified when new versions are posted!

UPDATE 1 - NESTED TAGS SUPPORT: I just added nested tags delimiter support. If you put something in the new box for entering one, and you enter a search term that contains that delimiter, then only tags that contain that delimiter and share the same prefix will be included in the search for that search term. For example, I created a parent tag called Parent and three child tags called Parent-Child 1, Parent-Child 2, and Parent-Child 3. I then entered the search term Parent-Child for the search. Because of this only the Tags that start with Parent were included in the search. In essence, it's a quick ad hoc filter for those of you that use nested tags with prefixes. The little question mark button next to the delimiter setting box explains it in case you need to remember how it works. See this post on this thread for a screenshot.

UPDATE 2 - LIST VIEW: New feature, a simple list view to go with the Tag Cloud view. For those of you that want a linear list instead of the Tag Cloud Viewer, I have now added a simple linear list of the matches that also show the scores. The list is in descending sort order so that the best matches are near the top of the list. See the second screenshot below the picture of the Tag Cloud View. Important: a 100% score may still not be an exact match since TagHunter's search has a built-in tolerance algorithm that treats very close matches the same, so this is not an error. TagHunter's scoring algorithms are complex and somewhat non-linear but be assured, the best matches will be near the top and the weaker ones will be towards the bottom of the list.

UPDATE 3 - SORTED TAG CLOUD: The tag cloud is now sorted so that when it first appears, closest matches are closer to you visually and weaker ones are to the back of the Cloud. Here's a screenshot of a sorted tag cloud.

UPDATE 4 - CLIPBOARD SUPPORT: The latest version now allows you to select rows in the list view and copy them to the clipboard so you can paste them into other applications. It supports the full Ctrl-Click, Shift-Click selection mechanisms you expect when working with a list box. Thanks to @jbenson2 for the suggestion!

UPDATE 5 - SEARCH NOTEBOOKS TOO: Thanks to a suggestion by @BurgerNFries you can now use TagHunter's powerful fuzzy search to search your notebooks too!

UPDATE 6 - Copy Notebook/Tag name to clipboard: Thanks to suggestions from @jbenson2 you can now copy a sorted list of either your Notebook names or Tag names to the clipboard. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 7 - Log Out of TagHunter: Thanks to suggestions from @Har Garaets and @FactMan you can now log out of TagHunter if you are in a multi-user environment, and also do multi-tag filtering when showing notes in the Evernote client. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 8 - Check for Updates and Google Search Integration: Integration with Google Search has now been added thanks to a suggestion from @FactMan. Also, there is a new tab that will tell you if you are running the latest version or not. See this post for further details.

UPDATE 9 - Sort by Tag/Notebook in List View fixed: This version fixes a bug @FactMan found with the column sort in the List View. Now, when you click on the column titled Tag, the list will be properly sorted alphabetically by the Tag or Notebook name.

UPDATE 10- Note Counts by Tag or Notebook in List View: This version can now calculate the number of notebooks per Tag or per Notebook for each item in the search results. See this post for details and a screenshot.

This is brand new software so please report any problems on this thread and I'll answer them. I'm looking forward to your feedback and I hope that TagHunter is as helpful to you as it is to me. Here's a screenshot of the program. I purposely misspelled venture capital, the third Tag in the search query shown, as ventnor capitol to show TagHunter's ability to handle badly formed tags either in the search query or the tags in your note store. The tag it found, ventur capital, is actually misspelled in my account that way yet TagHunter found it anyways during the simultaneous tag search shown in the screenshot:

Posted Image

Simple List View with Scores

Posted Image

Sincerely,
-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#2 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, on my Win 7 setup, when I tried to run it I get an error message: qtinf.dll is missing

#3 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hello FactMan,

Thank you for that! I have removed the dependency on that DLL and updated the download link. Please download the latest version (1.0.0.1) and try again and tell me if it works for you now. :)

-- roschler
BitQwik - Search your Evernote notes with a powerful Artificially Intelligent assistant!
TagHunter - The free intelligent power search tool for Windows Evernote users that have lots of Tags

#4 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hi - I installed TH OK, but when I click the shortcut I get a couple of seconds of HD activity and an icon in my task bar, but no visible window. Using Vista SP1 and the latest Evernote beta 4.5.9.7390 (267898) Prerelease.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#5 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hello gazumped,

Do you have multiple monitors or a similar situation? It may be that the main screen is "off" your desktop. Also, please check the Task Manager and tell me if TaskHunter.exe is visible in the Process list. It should be since you said that the TaskHunter "binocular" icon is in your task bar. But it would be good to know.

Can you right click on the TaskHunter icon in your task bar and try the "Restore" option? Does right-clicking on the icon work at all?

I'll try the Beta release you are running and see if it works for me.

UPDATE: I can't find a download link for the beta you are running. Do you know where I can find it?

-- roschler

#6 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,658 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi roschler, thanks for a lightning-fast response! Re your queries..

Yes I have multiple monitors, laptop +2; no sign of the window on any desktop. Task Manager does show TagHunter as active as both application and process.

Right-clicking gives me restore/minimize/close as options, but restore doesn't work.

And I subscribe to the beta channel, so got the update as an alert via Evernote; don't know if there's a direct link anywhere..

Gaz.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#7 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hello gazumped,

TagHunter by default places itself on the center of the main desktop. I'm going to create a special version that forces it to coordinates 1, 1 on startup and see if it pops up on your monitors. I'll post the link when it's ready.

-- roschler

#8 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hello gazumped,

Please download this version that will force itself to coordinates 1, 1 on your monitor. Tell me if it works for you.

-- roschler

#9 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have about 800 tags. Tag-Hunter is working OK.

I use a 3-character prefix system that groups similar tags in a Parent - Child structure. It also helps point out misspellings.

Company

Com-Amazon

Com-Apple

Com-ATT

Initial comment:

Works fine.

p.s. The initial Tag-Hunter straddled both of my screens. I dragged it over to my main screen.

#10 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hello jbenson2,

Thank you for that feedback and I'm glad it's working for you! Please post any suggestions you have for future versions on this thread.

Ok so there's a multi-monitor issue. It looks like TagHunter is trying to center itself in the middle of your virtual desktop which spreads across both screens. If you have closed the app then it will have saved the last known screen position so you should be OK from this point on. I'll go work on the screen positioning code and see if I can come up with a better solution for those with multiple monitors.

Are you a fan of the show FireFly (Joss Whedon)? If not, this is what the Title Reaver the forum assigned you means. It has me chuckling at the moment. :)

-- roschler

#11 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Does Tag-Hunter Does it analyze the parent level tag?

The reason I am asking is that when I search for Per (my 3 character prefix for Personal), I get some odd results when I repeatedly click search.

Ayers William
Merkel Angela
Free Speech

The blue selections are correct however:
Per-Car
Per-Entertainment
Impeach
Super-PAC

But some per-s are black, for instance
Per-Pet
Per-Yard
Per-Travel

#12 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Are you a fan of the show FireFly (Joss Whedon)? If not, this is what the Title Reaver the forum assigned you means. It has me chuckling at the moment. :)

Yes. It was a great show!
I selected that name after getting into some rather heated discussions on this forum.

Reavers are readily recognized in any situation by both appearance and behavior. Whether ritually or in fits of rage, they maim themselves, peeling off parts of their own skins and shoving pieces of metal into the flesh. Reavers are savage, brutal and primal, though they engage in some form of social behavior and cooperation within their own group. Their contact with normal humans appears limited to combat, rape, torture, murder, and cannibalism. These contacts are brief and survivors few. As a result, little is known of Reavers' social structure.

That was before I found the "Ignore user" feature in the forum.

#13 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

TagHunter will weight a longer string match higher, even if is inexact, than a very short exact 3 character match. It sounds like you need a hybrid search that looks for a user specified character. In your case this is the minus sign ("-"). Then it should filter the search so that only Tags that begin with that prefix on the left side of the delimiter character are allowed into the search. Let me put some thought into that.

-- roschler

#14 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,658 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Please download this version that will force itself to coordinates 1, 1 on your monitor. Tell me if it works for you.

Thank you sir, that works fine. Just for the record I went for a restart on my system with 1.0.0.1 still loaded, but that didn't help. Replaced it with .2 and everything now seems to be working well. I have a little over 1,000 tags, but that's too many (in my view). I need to edit them down somewhat, and TagHunter seems to be an ideal tool to help me do that.

While we're on the Firefly connections, check out http://firefly.wikia.../wiki/Operative - we all have our secrets around here...

#15 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the update gazumped and for the FireFly link too! I'm still hoping there's a "reboot" of the series at some point. There's just too much of a great story left untold.

-- roschler

#16 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

@jbenson2,

I just added nested tags delimiter support. If you put something in the new box for entering one, and you enter a search term that contains that delimiter, then only tags that contain that delimiter and share the same prefix will be included in the search for that search term. For example, I created a parent tag called Parent and three child tags called Parent-Child 1, Parent-Child 2, and Parent-Child 3. I then entered the search term Parent-Child for the search. Because of this only the Tags that start with Parent- were included in the search. In essence, it's a quick ad hoc filter for those of you that use nested tags with prefixes. The little question mark button next to the delimiter setting box explains it in case you need to remember how it works. You can use this download link or the one in the top post. Tell me if this solves your search needs. Here's a screenshot.

Posted Image

#17 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Although I'm not a fan of tag clouds, I think this program will be helpful, since I occasionally can't find tags. IDK if I've forgotten where I nested them or if I accidentally nested them somehwere. :o However, one thing I'm not sure about & maybe it's a tag cloud thing. I have one tag, "Kidney diet". AFAIK, there should not be any other tags that are close to that. So when I enter kidney diet in TagHunter, I still get a tag cloud. Shouldn't I just get the one tag returned? (I've tried it with quotes & without quotes).

PS - I use a virtual dual monitor with Maxivista. TagHunter seems to work well with my setup. It opened up on my main screen & I was able to move it to the other one.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#18 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hello BurgersNFries,

Unless a match is plain out horrid TagHunter takes the top N matches across all search terms. In a later version I'll add a straight list view that includes the scores so people can see how close the matches really are (or aren't). In other words, TagHunter errs on the side of being (very) tolerant as opposed to being strict. I'll add a "tolerance" slider in the future for people that want to tighten things up if they are getting matches they don't like.

-- roschler

#19 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hello BurgersNFries,

Unless a match is plain out horrid TagHunter takes the top N matches across all search terms. In a later version I'll add a straight list view that includes the scores so people can see how close the matches really are (or aren't). In other words, TagHunter errs on the side of being (very) tolerant as opposed to being strict. I'll add a "tolerance" slider in the future for people that want to tighten things up if they are getting matches they don't like.

-- roschler

Ok, thanks!
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#20 roschler

roschler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

@BurgersNFries,

Please download the latest version. I've added a simple list view that shows the scores too in descending order, best matches at the top. I've added a screen shot and update to my original post that you can check out first.

Thanks,
-- roschler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote, search, utility, tags, tag, taghunter, tool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote