Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Chrome

Suggestion to improve Clearly - better sync after saving for later

clearly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSebastian

BSebastian

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

I recently started using Clearly, and I love it. I love that you can highlight and sync to Evernote to read later, but once you decide to read later, the experience is not that great.

When I'm in Evernote, and decide to read something, I wish there was a "Clearly" button to read it in the same beautiful format that you can when you're seeing it in the web browser. The native Evernote reading experience is not as nice as Clearly.

I know that I can click the URL from within evernote and be taken back to the original website, and from there I can read on, but if I decide to highlight anything, instead of "syncing" with the originally saved evernote, it creates a brand new one, and then I am left with 2 nearly identical notes.

It would be nice if there was a way to keep the sync continuous throughout your experience, and maybe also a way to read a synced note "in Clearly" without having to leave Evernote and go back to the browser.

#2 Helen5555

Helen5555

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

These were my thoughts precisely. I love Clearly, but if there were a way of syncing highlights made later to the same note, this would be amazing.

Thank you for the great work!

#3 Helen5555

Helen5555

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

(I see that there is a merge function for notes in EN, but this doesn't seem to preserve all highlighting of both notes merged.)

#4 JuanO

JuanO

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Agreed! Clearly is beautiful. Sorry to ninja the post, but I want Clearly for iPhone as well as for the desktop.

If I don't finish reading the article or if I save something else for later, I often have more time to read from my phone. I use Pocket and have Instapaper, but it seems like just opening a Clearly app that is hooked up to a specific notebook or notebooks would make more sense.

I digress... Clearly is awesome. :)
- JuanO

#5 h10n

h10n

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Probably the main reason for this experience is that Evernote's default rendering for notes is just the usually WYSIWYG editor/renderer. So once a note is added in a given format, it will always be rendered as such. To be some competition for Instapaper and Pocket there would have to be a way to influence that rendering, some form or scaling/zooming beyond just increasing the font-size.

#6 djmutiny

djmutiny

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

100% agree with the original post. Would be hugely helpful to have Clearly as a view option for existing notes.

#7 Fbious

Fbious

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Yes yes and yes again.

There should definitely be a way to see a saved article in "clearly" form, both in the web app and in
the mobile apps, highlights and all.

As of now, the only way i see to do something like that on the web app is to go to the original article web
address and click again on clearly, which somewhat defies the purpose of saving the article to Evernote
in the first place.

#8 MaikoID

MaikoID

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

I was very disappointed when I used Clearly's highlights selection for the first time.

- Clearly  doesn't add more highlight once it's  already did it.

- Clearly doesn't view  its own evernote notes.

#9 panayotov

panayotov

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'd like to chime in with an additional suggestion. I thought of creating a new thread but seeing how many of them were already there and they overlapped here and there, I figured I'd just add.

The gist of the OP is the same, however I'd add that before this whole integration thingie gets going a more basic feature I think should be added. That is a hard link between the note highlighted through Clearly and the note stored in Evernote. Here's a bit of history of my experience and what I noticed:

Initially (since Clearly had the option to highlight), if I opened a page in Clearly and highlighted in it, a highlighted note went to Evernote. Then if I highlighted another portion of the web page, another highlighted version of the same whole page went to Evernote. I first thought that this was a bug, so I left it there - each highlight created a copy in Evernote of the same page.

Some time passed and I tried Clearly again. I believe this is its current state right now as well. As long as you don't close the Tab of the browser, highlighting on the same "cleared" page, just updates the copy in Evernote with the extra highlight. I even tested removing highlights and editing. It also works if you return to the original view of the page, then open in in Clearly again. It works perfectly. It's great.

When you close the Tab, however, the link is gone and here comes my suggestion. Make it a hard link. Whenever I open a web page in Clearly, Evernote should check if it has an annotated page stored in its database and send the highlighted portions to Clearly. In case, the highlighted content cannot be found on the page, then the link cannot be re-established, so it'd be OK to assume it's a different page and treat it as such. I believe the latter case would happen rarely with web pages that are usually used in researches, e.g. white papers.

Everything else you suggested builds further and the Clearly & Evernote pair could get even greater in aiding research. At least I would be very very happy :) There's lots of stuff one could ask of a research tool and perhaps that is not the goal of the ecosystem, so at least if it was more streamlined, it'd be great.

(EDIT: typos)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Clip to Evernote