✔ Changing password in Android

jimclay75050

Idea

I need to change the password of my Android Evernote app.

I done a search on this forum and found others with the same question but I cannot get any of the solutions to work. Is there a way to change the password without logging off and having to resync everything. Seems like there should be a menu item that says "Password."

Thanks for your help.

25 replies to this idea

I got the authentication failed message but tapping on it would just go into Evernote, no password prompt. Clearing the cache and data in the Apps manager did the trick. The next time I was prompted with my email to put in the password, so now it is happy.

Turvalar, I am using Android 4.1 and EN 4.5.4 but it appears that a failed sync in the app does not produce a notification in the Android notifications drop down. 

Ah, nothing says "I need more patience" like quoting and replying to your own posts =) This was resolved for me by upgrading my app to 4.5.6.1 - after doing so the steps Turvalar presented were valid. Here's how it went down for me:

1. With my session still open on the mobile device, I installed the latest version from the Play store (for me, 4.5.6.1). 

2. This automatically restarted the app, and when it did, the prompt for email password change came up.

3. I did this (in the mobile browser, for me Chrome Mobile) through my email account.

4. On returning to the app, it attempted to sync and I did in fact get the Android notification in the drop down that sync failed.

5. Tapping this notification prompted for the new password I issued through step 3. 

6. App began sync and complete successfully. 

you could do that...  but if you do as above, you won't lose your changes, or have to re-download everything...

["now you tell me" ;-]

Turvalar, I am using Android 4.1 and EN 4.5.4 but it appears that a failed sync in the app does not produce a notification in the Android notifications drop down. Are you using the same versions? Am I possibly missing something? I have not yet reset my pass in order to avoid logging out my mobile session and losing unsync'd notes. Was originally thinking I'd need to find a way to export and reimport them but perhaps there are other workarounds to update the pass without losing the mobile session?

Actually, it is possible in the Android client.

You need to update within Google Play to the version we released this morning to make it less painful though.

What a simple problem but solved so late. I am lucky enough to know the android/password problem and its solution in one day.

Thanks.

** I updated the android client and the process of changing password is wierd. I need to log in the web and then to the android program. It worked. There is still no "change password" button in the android client.

I found out about this from friends who know I use Evernote for everything; no email, I don't do Twitter, and haven't been on facebook in a couple of days. Changed my password on the web, no problem. Changed it on my windows machines, no problem. Android devices refused to sync, and did not offer "authentication error" to allow a new password entry. They just informed me that "sync failed"... so in a fit of frustration I just logged out, even knowing that I have thousands of notes stored locally.... This is really frustrating =/ In the end my android tablet crashed. After a paperclip reset, I did receive the "authentication error" and was able to enter my new password easily - but that option was not available earlier, before I "logged out" and erased everything local.

Good thing this didn't happen a few weeks ago when I was out of town and using someone else's metered connection!

All this frustration is worthwhile if my data remains safe, and I do appreciate the quick response from the Evernote team. Just posting my experience.

• Level 5*

Actually, it is possible in the Android client.

You need to update within Google Play to the version we released this morning to make it less painful though.

Hopefully whatever change happened for the release version will find its way to the 5.0.x betas... 

• Level 5*

OK seems I was late to the party as usual - had this problem,  but then downloaded the update and things are back to normal.

Evernote is getting a lot of criticism in various threads,  but you try dealing with a security crisis on a weekend with 50M users - thanks to Heather and the team for getting things back in reasonable order within 12 hours or so...

Well, it is also my problem. I changed my password on the web and now it is impossible to syncronised my sony tablet and my samsung Galaxy III, and what is more, I cant find a way to change de password on my mobil devices.

Any help, please

JesusM

I didn´t read well before. I solved my problem pushing on the notification area and putting the new password.

Thanks a lor

JesúsM

Just what I needed to know.  Than you.

Press on your username and sign out and then back in.  You will have to use your new password.  My username is not my email address. It had defaulted to my email address.

Well, it is also my problem. I changed my password on the web and now it is impossible to syncronised my sony tablet and my samsung Galaxy III, and what is more, I cant find a way to change de password on my mobil devices.

Any help, please

JesusM

I didn´t read well before. I solved my problem pushing on the notification area and putting the new password.

Thanks a lor

JesúsM

Just what I needed to know.  Than you.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm glad to see this was fixed. If I may suggest, search out the various places in the forums that discuss this problem and post your solution above, or perhaps email everyone who uses the android client separately to advise them to update the app. I was a few minutes from following the previous instructions of logging out and losing messages when I saw your reply, so it'd be useful to let as many Android users know before they do that.

Thanks Heather.

I was as annoyed as anyone this morning to find that Evernote's security had been breached but hey, it happens. I dutifully reset my password on the website, updated it on the desktop client and now, before heading out for the day, went to update it on my several Android devices. I'm stunned to learn that it's not possible and that I'll basically need to delete my entire downloaded profile (premium account, gigabytes of offline data) in order to resync.

Further, any unsynced notes I had on my devices are now lost since I can't sync them and the Logout will erase them.

I'd previously written here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28018-offline-sync-could-be-much-easier-to-use/

that the offline sync process was needlessly annoying because I had to go and tap on a microscopic triangle on each of 50 notebooks in order to sync them offline. Now I'm going to have to do that again? On every device? All because nobody thought to include a password field on the app?

If you think about basic security practices, one of the ones often recommended is to frequently change your password. By preventing users from having anything like a reasonable password change process, EN's all but ensuring nobody does that.

Both these things are easy fixes. Once you've gotten this mess behind you I hope you'll correct them.

AHA!  Solved!  *** How to change password on Evernote Android without
Logging Out (so can perform 'sync' without losing any local changes
made since last sync [before password was changed], after changinng
password on Web site ***

(updated)

1) click the "Sync" icon at the bottom of the Android Evernote desktop.  it will give an "Authentication Error" message. 

2) pull down the Notification Bar on top of Android screen and scrolll to the bottom, passed the "Ongoing" notifications), and tap "Authentication failed"

that will produce a dialog where you can enter a new password!

Turvalar

This is something that EN truly needs to address - I was lucky that I just happened to be home when required to reset my password due to EN's hack this morning.....

That being said, I could find nowhere to change my password in either of my Android devices, and I am relegated to logging out, logging back in and then wasting time setting up all of the notebooks that I originally had set to access while offline as we travel quite a bit and need access to travel docs while overseas and no (or very expensive) data connections other than wireless while at hotels if we're lucky!

It's a sad glitch that has caused me trouble and my valuable time!

After the password reset email I cant find any option to set my new password in the android app. The sync is failing, obviously, but clicking the error message only retries and it fails again.

How do you change your password?

The android client used to notify you of changed password and allow you to change it without reloading all of your notes. That doesn't seem to work any more, not sure why.

I seem to recall a method of retaining unsaved notes on an android device, but I will have to search for it.

Scott

This is what I've been advised to do:

1. Change your password on your web account.
  2. Log out of Evernote on your devices.
  3. Log back in. 
  4. Enter your new password.

But I have unsynchronized notes and EN warns me that they will be lost.  This seems kind of silly -- why not a "Change Password" menu entry on the mobile device?

I got a Tweet from Evernote to change my password for security reasons. I could not figure out how to do this on all my devices.

This is what I did and it worked.

1. Change your password on your web account.
  2. Log out of Evernote on your devices.
  3. Log back in. 
  4. Enter your new password.

Worked like a champ.

Any help, please

JesusM

Thanks a lor

JesúsM

Last time I did this, I had to completely close Evernote on my tablet. The next time that I opened it, I received an authentication error and tapping that allowed me to input my password again.

Will see if this is still the case with the latest version.

What I saw last time:

http://www.evernote....34b32cea12aef74

EDIT: The theme of the messages has changed a little, but the process is essentially the same as in the note above.

I should add that I have the Premium paid service. My phone does not connect to the Internet.

But it does need to connect by WiFi. And for it to sync the password for my android Evernote has to match the online Evernote.

Or so it seems to me. I changed my online Evernote password and now my Android Evernote will not sync.

• Level 5*

This is going to seem like a dumb question, but why change the password of only your Android app? You're signing in on your mobile client using that verification, but the action for the password check is online via your server-based details. Change your password via the web client, and your app will then ask you for new login details.

Archived