Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Evernote keeps crashing

evernote

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NatFan9

NatFan9

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Evernote's been working fine for me for a while, until suddenly, it just crashed. Every time I reopen it, it shuts down again within a few seconds. Is anybody else having this problem?

#2 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

The first question you have to ask yourself is "What changed?"

Did you just do an Evernote upgrade?
What version are you running?

#3 christomurr

christomurr

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have having the very same issue on my new iPad ... It was working fine ... and the only thing I can think of that changed is that I became a premium member. Wish I could offer more ....

#4 joel45

joel45

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

I have exactly the same problem.
I installed Evernote yesterday and I have written some notes and suddenly, it crashes.
Today, I have to try to open more than 20 times to have access to Evernote.

#5 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Wow! This sounds like an epidemic! I recommend that all of you submit a support ticket.

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,147 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

The first step to debugging the mobile app is to uninstall, reboot device, reinstall. If you have any unsynced notes on your device, you will need to try to copy them to another app, if you can, before uninstalling.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#7 NatFan9

NatFan9

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

The first question you have to ask yourself is "What changed?"

Did you just do an Evernote upgrade?
What version are you running?

I didnt change anything, I was just tagging a location for my notes, which I had done the same way 13 times before, when suddenly it just crashed, and whenever i try to relaunch, it crashes again as soon as I press "note details". I'm currently running 4.4 and haven't upgraded.

#8 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I had exactly the same thing!!! :) To sort it out I turned off Wifi/4G I then went back into EN and selected a different note/view and turned Wifi/4G back on and manually selected sync.

It appears that EN trys to start where it left off and also syncs immedately (if there is a connection).... and its this sync that can cause issues with the current note/view.

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,185 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

There are some behaviors that will generate crashes (http://discussion.ev...ad/#entry156312).

The more you report to developers (support tickets, for instance), the more data they have to use for making improvements.

#10 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

There are some behaviors that will generate crashes (http://discussion.ev...ad/#entry156312).

Thanks for posting this GM -- I had no idea how bad the latest released version of EN iOS really is.

Since this topic is specifically about crashes, I wanted to highlight the crashes that GM reported in the above thread:

(9) Crash Due to JPG (iPad)
- Steps to reproduce:
- Edit a note title
- Edit the body of the note, which has a jpg attachment
- Tap on the jpg, and the jpg opens in a separate view screen (I don't know why, because the image was already showing, and this has only happened once)
- This seems to be connected to the other crash with titles that I reported below

(11) Crash Due to Title Changes (iPad)
- Steps to reproduce:
- Edit title
- Edit note body
- This can be reliably reproduced with many kinds of notes

We certainly seem to be on a bad run with Evernote. In all of the years that I have used Evernote I never had any serious issues/bugs until about 3-4 months ago (May 2012). Since then all of the platforms that I use (EN Mac, EN Win, EN iOS) have had, and are continuing to have, major issues, including loss of data in some cases.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,185 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Glad I could help. The crashes aren't great, of course, but at least the ones I have come across are relatively benign and predictable. I encourage everyone to report any bugs they come across, and supply information to the developers.

#12 NatFan9

NatFan9

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

Odd thing about my bug, is that I can't reliably recreate it. What I was doing when it started crashing is something I had done at least 10 times before.

#13 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

@Grumpy When it comes to jpg crashes I have a note with two large jpg plans that crashes every time, if I attempt to open them in the viewer. In previous versions it struggled and sometimes crashed. As previously discussed iOS seems to force EN to close when I view these JPGs because of memory issues.

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,185 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

@Grumpy When it comes to jpg crashes I have a note with two large jpg plans that crashes every time, if I attempt to open them in the viewer. In previous versions it struggled and sometimes crashed. As previously discussed iOS seems to force EN to close when I view these JPGs because of memory issues.

Hi Mike. Where was this discussed? How large are the JPGs? Can you open them in other programs? I will give it a try on my end as well.

#15 christomurr

christomurr

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Mine just crashes as soon as I open the app ... never get a chance to do anything else.

In any event, this is what EN support sent to me (I had already done this, as well as 'modified my behavior' to remove images and such):

We've just released a newer iOS Client (version 4.4) that should address your issue. If you have not updated your Evernote App, please do so as soon as possible.

On your iOS device:

If you have any "Pending" notes, click the "Pending" tab (iPhone/iPod) or go to the "Pending Synchronization" section (iPad).
  • Copy the content of each note to your iOS Mail program and email them to your Evernote email address (do NOT attempt to email via Evernote). Check your Camera Roll to ensure that any pending Image Notes have been auto-saved. If not, use the built in iOS "Screenshot" function to preserve Image Notes to your Camera Roll.
  • Uninstall Evernote from your device.
  • Reboot your device.
  • Download the latest version of Evernote via the AppStore.

We believe this should correct the issue you're encountering.

#16 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,185 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Mine just crashes as soon as I open the app ... never get a chance to do anything else.

In any event, this is what EN support sent to me (I had already done this, as well as 'modified my behavior' to remove images and such):

We've just released a newer iOS Client (version 4.4) that should address your issue. If you have not updated your Evernote App, please do so as soon as possible.
On your iOS device:
If you have any "Pending" notes, click the "Pending" tab (iPhone/iPod) or go to the "Pending Synchronization" section (iPad).

• Copy the content of each note to your iOS Mail program and email them to your Evernote email address (do NOT attempt to email via Evernote). Check your Camera Roll to ensure that any pending Image Notes have been auto-saved. If not, use the built in iOS "Screenshot" function to preserve Image Notes to your Camera Roll.
  • Uninstall Evernote from your device.
  • Reboot your device.
  • Download the latest version of Evernote via the AppStore.
We believe this should correct the issue you're encountering.

If it were me (I am quite impatient), I would do a factory reset of my iPad, install Evernote, get it up and running, confirm that it is working fine, and then re-install all of my other apps. If it starts crashing again, you know it is the app you just installed that is causing some sort of conflict, or a low memory situation (I always leave a few GB open for apps to use, and I close anything I am not using). Obviously, you'd want to back up and save everything before doing this. It is no big deal for me (maybe a 20 or 30 minute procedure), but I know some people have things arranged just so, and are not keen on having to do it all again.

#17 Kevin Mitchell

Kevin Mitchell

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

I ran Evernote through its paces, and thought it'd be working better and I'd give it a try and paid for Premium.

Now, I'm getting a number of crashes. I'm going to submit tickets with crash logs (I'm also an iOS developer, so I can pull them from the iPad), and I'm going to try to be really detailed about the situation that caused the crash.

Latest crash is: I edited some notes, restored an old version, and deleted a note on Mac, and when I open on iPad, it crashes. I can see the summaries animating around before the crash. Submitted a ticket: 16051-149518.

Deleting Evernote and reinstalling from the App Store, and redownloading the data, fixed the problem. This is obviously not practical in the field, especially when I start having much more data in the device.

I really want this to work. Anything you guys can do to clean up the iPad app to make it more stable will really help. If there's anything I can do to help you get there, let me know.

Kevin

#18 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

@Grumpy re JPG crashes try this note https://www.evernote...f5c59754483c0ca

It used to open in the viewer every time and if you scrolled about crash about 50% of the time (with the old App) but now its a solid crash every time. If you look at the iOS system log its memory related.

#19 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,185 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

I ran Evernote through its paces, and thought it'd be working better and I'd give it a try and paid for Premium.

Now, I'm getting a number of crashes. I'm going to submit tickets with crash logs (I'm also an iOS developer, so I can pull them from the iPad), and I'm going to try to be really detailed about the situation that caused the crash.

Latest crash is: I edited some notes, restored an old version, and deleted a note on Mac, and when I open on iPad, it crashes. I can see the summaries animating around before the crash. Submitted a ticket: 16051-149518.

Deleting Evernote and reinstalling from the App Store, and redownloading the data, fixed the problem. This is obviously not practical in the field, especially when I start having much more data in the device.

I really want this to work. Anything you guys can do to clean up the iPad app to make it more stable will really help. If there's anything I can do to help you get there, let me know.

Kevin

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

What a positive message of support for the developers. I am sure they will appreciate it. As a heavy user of the iPad (most of my work) I am also eagerly looking forward to an improved UI (of course, "improvements" are in the eye of the beholder, but I could really do with a list view and more sort options).

I suspect that the developers might also appreciate the console logs. When I run across a problem and report it, I pull the console logs and save them into a note for later in case they ask. You never know :)

#20 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,185 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

@Grumpy re JPG crashes try this note https://www.evernote...f5c59754483c0ca

It used to open in the viewer every time and if you scrolled about crash about 50% of the time (with the old App) but now its a solid crash every time. If you look at the iOS system log its memory related.

Thanks Mike. I am away from my Mac for the next 48 hours or so. Any chance you could share the note from within a notebook? I think that is the only way that I can save it into my account. Sorry, but as far as I can tell (someone school me if I am wrong) opening the note in Safari doesn't give me any way to save it into my account (as I can on the Mac, if I remember correctly). With the shared notebook, I ought to be able to "join" and view it from within the app.

Of course, it goes without saying that this is another one of those obstacles to using Evernote on iOS! But, it isn't all Evernote's fault (we know we are in a walled garden as iOS users). It's one thing to add to the list of stuff we ought to get someday. For now, I'd settle for fewer crashes :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote