Can I delete a notebook on Android?

• Level 5*

Thanks GrumpyMonkey for the quick response. Do you know if it will likely be implemented in a future upgrade?

Thanks again

John

Glad I could help. Evernote doesn't release roadmaps, though the Android team is uncharacteristically open about their projects, so they might tell us. You never know! We have the ability to delete notebooks on iOS, so I would expect it to come to Android someday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been searching for 30 minutes now and I'm quite frustrated with this app. (this thread is a top result in google searches)

You F'kin serious? I can't delete notebooks? I have several that it imported from AwesomeNote on my iPad that I got rid of for a Nexus 7. I'm with 'rarelink' Uninstalling this app.

for other lurkers who stumble here like myself, the app 'Write' on Android is a good alternative with a functional file system and synch, for now, if you just need a note-taker text editor, similar to 'iA Writer' on iOS. I hear Microsoft OneNote is good alternative to Evernote as well.

• 3 months later...

I agree that It is stupid that you cant do it on your device, but it is very easy to do.

Log in on evernote.com. Go to your account, go to "my content click the drop down on the notebook you want to delete and select delete. THEN sync your device and it should be gone. It took me less than a minute to do, but it took me a half hour to learn how to do it.....

• Level 5*

Yes, this would be good to have on the Android client, but they're still adding features to it (it's improved a lot over the last year since I got my first Android device). I'm guessing that this will make it in eventually, but for now, you can use the web client or a desktop client.

• 6 months later...

It's the middle of 2013 and I cannot believe this feature is still missing. You were telling people to delete a notebook from the web interface! For such a simple and useful thing to do. When they are using the native app, which is not only faster but more usable than the web ui. This is such a joke. My opinion is that you don't care for your android users (the iOS app has it).

What more, huh? Well the same android app constantly takes control over the cursor and I cannot paste and select text with the two handles because they do not appear!

This is a huge joke. The app is not from yesterday. I find it really offending that such small features are apparently left out deliberately and we are told to use the web ui... ffs. Devs are struggling and overcoming so many much harder obstacles on the iOS platform and they do it and deliver lots of stuff. Don't tell me you cannot fix the android app.

So, please, stop insulting us and either make the app paid so that you don't have an excuse for such simple things or simply Remove it from the play store. "We will use the web ui"

Yeah, I agree it's pretty lame that you can't delete a notebook in the Android client. And I can't Italy launch the web client in any of my Android browsers either. So it looks like I have no way of deleting notebooks from my tablet.

Still, though, there is more good here than bad. I just created a notebook stack called Zapped and I delete notebooks by moving them to that stack. Thes on occasions I'm using the web client at work on s Linus machine I delete everything in Zapped. Less than perfect but plenty good enough.

I'm still just in heaven over being able to preview pdf notes in the web version without manually downloading them, so the devs are aces with me right now.

• Level 5*

It's the middle of 2013 and I cannot believe this feature is still missing. You were telling people to delete a notebook from the web interface! For such a simple and useful thing to do. When they are using the native app, which is not only faster but more usable than the web ui. This is such a joke.

That's me, an Evernote user, not an Evernote employee, telling you that you can use the web client to do this. I'm also the same person who agreed that it would be a useful feature.

My opinion is that you don't care for your android users (the iOS app has it).

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but you should also know that different Evernote teams are largely independent of each other, and schedule new features according to their own priorities. I am certain that Evernote cares about Android users as much as they do iOS users -- I know that the Android client is being updated regularly, and continues to improve. The editing experience could be better, no doubt, and they are aware of that.

What more, huh? Well the same android app constantly takes control over the cursor and I cannot paste and select text with the two handles because they do not appear!

I am able to use the 'two handles' in the latest Android 5.2.2 public release on my 2012 Nexus 7. That doesn't mean that what you're seeing is not a bug, so I'd open a support request for that if I were you; specific scenarios can help the devs to narrow problems down.

This is a huge joke. The app is not from yesterday. I find it really offending that such small features are apparently left out deliberately and we are told to use the web ui... ffs.

Oh, 'fhs' -- they are not leaving things out deliberately, except as part of the process of making choices as far as which features to implement before others. I find it really bizarre that you would be offended by this situation -- Evernote is not trying to insult you personally, or the Android community in general.

Devs are struggling and overcoming so many much harder obstacles on the iOS platform and they do it and deliver lots of stuff. Don't tell me you cannot fix the android app.

What are the harder obstacles on the iOs client that you speak of? I don't know the difference between the two platforms well enough to know what's hard or easy in either. As a point of history, I believe that the iOS app has been in existence longer, and in that sense may have a head start on the Android client, but I could be wrong about that.

So, please, stop insulting us and either make the app paid so that you don't have an excuse for such simple things or simply Remove it from the play store. "We will use the web ui"

So your counsel is to make Evernote a paid app, even though it is, in your eyes, grossly deficient, insulting, insulting and offensive just by existing? I don't get that point at all. Personally, I find the Android app pretty usable, though in fairness, I tend to use the Windows desktop most of the time. I'll be taking Evernote for Android on a two week trip shortly, so we'll see how I feel about it when I get back.

• Level 5*

Yeah, I agree it's pretty lame that you can't delete a notebook in the Android client. And I can't Italy launch the web client in any of my Android browsers either. So it looks like I have no way of deleting notebooks from my tablet.

Again, it'd be a good feature to add to the Android client. I can launch the web client from both of my Android devices (Nexus 7 and Motorola Razr MAXX phone), though it's definitely an adventure to use on my phone.

Still, though, there is more good here than bad. I just created a notebook stack called Zapped and I delete notebooks by moving them to that stack. Thes on occasions I'm using the web client at work on s Linus machine I delete everything in Zapped. Less than perfect but plenty good enough.

Yep -- that's a good practical workaround. Since I don't tend to delete (or even create) notebooks all that often, it's no big deal to batch up notebook deletions until I can get to them.

Hi jefito,

I know my post was quite juvenile (and reading it now makes me facepalm myself) but I'm still convinced that most of the issues are quite relevant. Let me elaborate.

First, the teams. It's good to know that they are separate. It's normal for them to have different priorities. I appreciate the reassurance and I really hope the clients (which I'm using most :) are moving forward and the editing experience improves in them.

Second, my specific problem with the Android editor. Please imagine me frantically trying to make the two handles appear by holding, tapping, swiping all over my 5 inch screen and only being able to highlight the word over which I touch. This happens for 1-2 minutes non-stop. Add to that the other thing: I tap somewhere in the text and expect the other (only one) handle to appear, which allows me to easily adjust the cursor exactly where I want it to be. Alas, the handle doesn't appear. I've used Android for quite a while and became accustomed to these native editing features. They're native and they're in every textbox/area there is. Now, because I know this, and I am a developer myself, I know that the app is meddling with this native OS feature - it is altering its behavior. This is not right. You don't simply change the OS behavior and moreover, override it with a less functional one.

In that moment I knew what I had to do. I had to write my original note, leaving it with all those errors, leave the other one, where I wanted to copy text to, and wait 'till I get on my desktop and use the Windows client to do this. Maybe the web UI would have allowed me to complete my task, but I gave up because I had to go through the whole process of switching between notes and tapping, swiping and I had enough of that. This was not how I expected things to happen.

Which brings me to the insulted/offended point. One thing before that. I love Evernote and the potential it has. I'm talking about it almost constantly to people in my social circles proudly saying: 'Hey, I'm using Evernote for that, man. You should definitely give it a try, it's an awesome service.' I'm using the Windows and Android clients whenever I get the chance, sometimes only for trying to figure out another strategy for using the service more efficiently.

The reality is that I cannot use it fully because of such minor issues. It's like a person holding a big juicy apple a few meters away in front of me, they know I'm hungry and thirsty and they say: 'Come get it, it's yours.' I make a few steps and bam: fall into a hole that was covered with grass. And the thing is that there are many other such holes around the person with the apple, which I have to find by falling in all of them first before I'm able to reach the apple (or never do as in the case with the Android bug). Now, to me, this person is mocking me and in this particular situation this is very offending.That's the way I feel about Evernote right now and have felt before (with other issues). (I hope I haven't bored you with my metaphor.)

The promise is big, but the obstacles are many. I honestly don't know how the successful users of the service manage to do it without hassles unless I turn on my 'devs are paying more attention to iOS/Mac OS than to other OSes' (which by the way is not that uncommon if you look around) thinking to reach the conclusion that those people must be using these OSes.

Fourth, I was talking about platform obstacles in general, so let's leave that topic. Perhaps it's really the momentum of the different teams.

Finally, I'd like to apologise if I've made a reference to you or the other evangelist guys as people working for Evernote and having responsibilities that should be expected from the staff. I know that you don't have such responsibilities. I actually think that you are in an unfair position to deal with people like me instead of the staff.

As a conclusion and as I mentioned in another thread, ranting is useless unless I provide specific bug reports, so when I have the time I'll compile a list with all of them. I may even provide a video to show you the confusing text selection behavior.

Regards,
S.

• Level 5*

@panayotov : I appreciate the post. Really, I think we're not too far apart. No question that the disparities between the various platforms can be annoying; maybe it's just that I've learned to live with them that I don't tend to cause a fuss about them too much -- I try not to rant, in other words, even when I feel it sometimes. :) Just to be clear, I use the Windows client much more than any other (and the V5 beta currently, which causes a whole separate range of issues), the Android client more and more (but more for consumption than note creation) and the web client a fair amount now because I have need of editing my home account when I am at work. No iOS or Mac usage at all, and overall, I am quite happy -- but as I say, we'll see about my feelings towards the Android client when I've been using it exclusively for a couple of weeks.

I get the 'apple' metaphor, but I'm still not sure how apt it is, I won't quibble any more about it, though.

With respect to the editing handles thing, I did try it before I posted, and have used them in the past, so I wasn't just saying that you were wrong in your experience. It just may be a problem with your specific device, and you should probably open a support request for that.

I think that you're right about 'the momentum of the teams'

Re evangelists: Note that not all of us are guys. :) As for our position, we're kind of self-selected, and we can deal with whomever we choose in the forums. Most often it's just helping with simple issues; sometimes it's more than that. Sometimes we can give a hint much faster than you might get through the official support system. Overall, this is a user forum, so Evernote staff don't participate as much as we may like. Speaking for myself, if I didn't want to do this,and if I didn't feel that I could help other users sometimes, then I wouldn't do it.

Again, thanks for the post.

• 1 year later...
  • Ex Employees

Hi, could someone please explain how to delete a notebook on Android platform. I "think" I have tried everything with no success.

Thanks

John

Hi John. As far as I know, you cannot delete a notebook in Android at this time.

Deleting notebooks on Android is not currently supported. You can find instructions on how to delete notebooks on other devices here: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/24934101

• 1 year later...

Dear EVERNOTER Users,

I got the same problem with you I read what all you wrote regarding this ... and thanks God, I solved it.

Agreed with you all that up to now EVERNOTE FOR ANDROID has not the facility to do this, so use your NOTEBOOK, LAPTOP, or PC and this is the way that I solved the problem:

1. Go to https:/evernote.com and SIGN IN ... will appears three columns: on the left side is the operational ICON, in the middle is your NOTES, and on the right side is the DETAIL of selected note.
  2. Move your cursor to left side then click the NOTEBOOKS ICON ... will appears NOTEBOOKS and anything like on your ANDROID smartphone
  3. Shift your cursor to TRASH ... then appears "TRASH" on the top of this column and "Empty trash" below the word "TRASH"
  4. Click "Empty trash" for deleting all notes on the Notebooks or you can also delete one by one by shifting your cursor to your selected note ... then appears "Erase" and "Restore", so then click "Erase".
  5. DONE ... log out from EVERNOTE, it has not complete yet ... Go back to your ANDROID smartphone
  6. Open EVERNOTE on your ANDROID smartphone, then SYNC it by tapping the bottom menu (I hope we have a similar version) as usually mentioned LAST SYNC and DATE. Wait till it finish to sync.
  7. COMPLETELY DONE by now ... so Good Luck to all

Regards,

Luthfi 

Archived